Ubisoft Finally Reveals Far Cry 3

Posted by Alex (2129 posts) -

Confirming rumors we've been hearing for some time now, Ubisoft today brought us our first look at Far Cry 3, the latest sequel in its jungle-faring first-person shooter series.

In the game, you are Jason Brody, a man on the hunt for his kidnapped girlfriend and put up against a group of rebels, including one particularly verbose one who seems to enjoy explaining the definition of insanity to our hero.

The action shown in the trailer was unquestionably violent. Lots of blood, lots of explosions. Seemed highly reminiscent of the kind of gunplay you'd typically find in an '80s Schwarzenegger flick, like Predator or Commando.

We'll be sure and get the trailer up as quick as we can. It's a doozy. And it's got swears!

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2129 posts) -

Confirming rumors we've been hearing for some time now, Ubisoft today brought us our first look at Far Cry 3, the latest sequel in its jungle-faring first-person shooter series.

In the game, you are Jason Brody, a man on the hunt for his kidnapped girlfriend and put up against a group of rebels, including one particularly verbose one who seems to enjoy explaining the definition of insanity to our hero.

The action shown in the trailer was unquestionably violent. Lots of blood, lots of explosions. Seemed highly reminiscent of the kind of gunplay you'd typically find in an '80s Schwarzenegger flick, like Predator or Commando.

We'll be sure and get the trailer up as quick as we can. It's a doozy. And it's got swears!

Staff
#2 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

It better not be shit like far cry 2

#3 Posted by Rastapasta (43 posts) -

Never played the second but might try this

#4 Edited by Soulstoner (37 posts) -

Nice!

#5 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

It sure looks great, they know their jungles.

#6 Posted by sjolle (165 posts) -

well i hope they learned something from far cry 2

#7 Posted by rmanthorp (3944 posts) -
Did I ever tell you meaning of Insanity?
#8 Posted by Vigil80 (434 posts) -

Really enjoyed Far Cry 2, warts and all. Looking forward to this.

#9 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

Did I ever tell you meaning of Insanity?

#10 Posted by LIquid1024 (57 posts) -

Best of the ubisoft show so far.  Hope they stay true to the original far cry.

#11 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Looks good, like really good, like what Farcry 2 should have been. I thought the sub title for this story said you play as Adrian  Brody then I was disappointed.

#12 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I loved the demo. Funny guy, that guy...

#13 Posted by aidros (238 posts) -

Watching it on G4 TV and half of it was bleeped out, so all I heard was the word "Insanity" over and over. Looks great though

#14 Posted by tourgen (4493 posts) -

xbox exclusive? (heheh)

#15 Edited by rbanke (191 posts) -

I'm going to take a stand and say I loved FC2 (even the driving), and hope FC3 includes the same ideas but refined. Maybe ditch the respawning checkpoints though.

#16 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

That villain was the definition of awesome! He alone almost sold me on the game, then I remembered that I didn't actually enjoy playing Far Cry 2 that much, but I hope they will get it right this time, because it looked quite interesting.

#17 Posted by Norusdog (346 posts) -

HA no, fuck you.  After FarCry 2, no editor shit, and what a crap-fest it was screw you.  not interested chumps

#18 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2219 posts) -

It looks like they're bringing it back to the original Far Cry style of jungle shootouts and just one main character that isn't mute. Really excited for it.

#19 Posted by LKPOWER (156 posts) -

Ha! I'm actually playing through Farcry 2 fir the first time as we speak. I like it, so I guess I'm probably gonna like this one.

#20 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

And if they dumb it down into a suck ass console noob First person shooter like they did with Crysis 2 and frycry 2 then I don[t give a fuck about Frycry 3. 

it already looks like ass.

#21 Posted by nasie (126 posts) -

Far cry 2 just wasn't that fun to play, to much tinkering around with crap just to do some run of the mill shooting.

#22 Posted by Slab64 (1055 posts) -

Hella swearin. The main bad guy looks like a nightmare version of Rufio from Hook.

#23 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Seems like a step back.

#24 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Far Cry 2 was an awesome experience. I'll gladly take more of that, if a bit more refined.

#25 Posted by MJHAYLETT (440 posts) -

Day One for me as Far Cry 2 is my favourite FPS this gen. Yes you read that right. Flaws and all.

#26 Posted by wrecks (2254 posts) -

I loved the Far Cry 2 Campaign. A really great immersive challenge. Never understood the nay saying at all. Can't wait for the next chapter!

#27 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Looked pretty damn cool but so did the second one.

#28 Posted by MacGeorge (177 posts) -

The graphics look great, awesome art style and colour.

#29 Posted by Marz (5651 posts) -

it looks cool, seemed heavily scripted and didn't show too much of open world gameplay in the demo.   Maybe it'll turn out ok.

#30 Posted by RagingLion (1365 posts) -

I loved Far Cry 2 - seeing the game footage preview for 3 didn't immediately win me over for this one.  Something about its tone and aesthetics wasn't pulling me in like 2's did.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for the the burnished yellow hues of 2's savannahs and the murkier greens of its jungles but the brighter environments weren't immediately compelling to me and weren't suggesting a consistent art aesthetic.  It's the gameplay and story that matters more in giving the game it's feel though.  Some of the combat seemed a little bit showy to me but the Far Crys have always been about options so that doesn't mean my stealthy ways won't be catered for.  What I'm really interested to learn is if the emergent gameplay stuff is still in there.  Wasn't completely sold on the villain and story but it's still early days, I'm just wondering if not having a creative lead like Clint Hocking and his aspirations for games will make this game less appealing to me.

#31 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3295 posts) -

I've heard Commando is a pretty good film.

#32 Posted by NTM (7375 posts) -

Sweet, it's like a mix of the original Far Cry and Far Cry 2. I knew what it had to be when I started watching it, and it makes me excited.

#33 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Heres to hoping it expands and improves upon the ideas of Far Cry 2, because if it just goes back to being a kinda boring shooter like the first then I have no interest.

#34 Posted by AvianFlame (19 posts) -

As a huge fan of Far Cry 2, I absolutely can not wait for this. The part where he grabbed the knife was especially awesome, although we'll have to see how that actually fits into gameplay.

#35 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

We get it Alex. You like movies. You run a movie site. We know.

#36 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

this looks awesome.

fuck you far cry 2 haters. that game wasnt that bad (especially on PC where you could quicksave) so if far cry 3 fixes some of far cry 2's problems i'm TOTALLY down.

#37 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Cubical said:
And if they dumb it down into a suck ass console noob First person shooter like they did with Crysis 2 and frycry 2 then I don[t give a fuck about Frycry 3.  it already looks like ass.
Frycry? 
I'm not sure if you're just stupid or completely mentally disabled.
#38 Posted by Twiggy199 (498 posts) -

I KNEW IT!!

#39 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

I may buy this, just for those Machete-using Air Assassinations

#40 Posted by Voidoid (133 posts) -

I wonder if anyone actually named Jason Brody watched the Ubisoft press conference. In that case, the "...and YOU are Jason Brody"-line must have given him a heart attack.

#41 Posted by milkohol (13 posts) -

Is Clint Hocking attached??

#42 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Better not have any checkpoints with insta-respawning guards or guns that crumble to dust after 5 minute gunfights. 

#43 Posted by blusher (54 posts) -

I've never played a Far Cry game, but I am seriously intrigued after watching that demo.  I'm curious, is gameplay fairly linear, or are there multiple ways to approach an objective?  Also, how are the animations?  I like my FPS to be ultraviolent, with all kinds of limbs and guts flying everywhere.

#44 Posted by JEC03 (900 posts) -

Would be better with the cryengine 3 after the mess that was farcry 2 I have serious doubts about this game the demo didn't sell me at all.Also I freaking hate so much how the guns are so big they could at least change the FOV on the PC version. I'm really getting sick of these big ass gun models they  look out of  place on a  monitor.

#45 Posted by MeatSim (10851 posts) -

I liked Far Cry 2 so I am all for another one.

#46 Posted by nihilisticmonkey (90 posts) -

Far Cry 3 : We have no idea what to do with this franchise

Key Features

• Islands
  • Guns
  • Pretty
  • Shooty Shooty
  • Grit
#47 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2382 posts) -

Immersion to the max.

#48 Posted by mbr (43 posts) -

@milkohol: Unfortunately no. He's at LucasArts working on an unannounced project.

#49 Posted by apoloimagod (117 posts) -

Loved Far Cry 2. Can't wait for this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.