Unlocking this early in the US: can it be done?

#1 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

This is a question that I assume UK bombers would best be suited to answer as it seems like a lot of PC games come out AFTER the US release:

Can I purchase this in America, and utilize a proxy to unlock it on Thursday? Will I get banhammered?

#2 Edited by SlashDance (1806 posts) -

You can use a VPN, there's debate concerning the risk of losing your account over this. I can tell you I used a VPN to unlock Deus Ex last year and I had no problem (although I kept steam offline untill the european release).

My understanding is that Valve will come after you if you use a VPN to purchase games at a lower price in another region. Unlocking games seems risk free from what I understand.

#3 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

Steam can ban you for doing that. The only time I did that was for Mass Effect 3 on Origin.

#4 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

You can use a VPN, there's debate concerning the risk of losing your account over this. I can tell you I used a VPN to unlock Deus Ex last year and I had no problem (although I kept steam offline untill the european release).

My understanding is that Valve will come after you if you use a VPN to purchase games at a lower price in another region. Unlocking games seems risk free from what I understand.

Yeah, I've gathered that they don't really mind you unlocking games, but gaming the pricing system is a problem.

I may just download a cracked copy and transfer my singleplayer save when the game comes out. I'm an impatient bastard with a lot of free time at the moment.

#5 Posted by UtamiJogjaf1 (25 posts) -

@murisan said:

@SlashDance said:

Yeah, I've gathered that they don't really mind you unlocking games, but gaming the pricing system is a problem.

I may just download a cracked copy and transfer my singleplayer save when the game comes out. I'm an impatient bastard with a lot of free time at the moment.

Yeah.i have unlock Black Ops 2 earlier by a vpn.My account is working well.i followed this thread to unlock it.hope it can help you.Good Luck

#6 Posted by UtamiJogjaf1 (25 posts) -

@murisan: yeah.it is good.enjoy yourself.

#7 Posted by Mister_V (1229 posts) -

Wait... So this game comes out in the UK before the US? what did we do to deserve this bounty?

#8 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

Wait... So this game comes out in the UK before the US? what did we do to deserve this bounty?

Got all the other games AFTER the US. I suppose it evens out, but THAT'S FOUR DAYS I CAN'T TAKE MANNNNN

#9 Edited by studnoth1n (222 posts) -

that's pretty pathetic. i'm sure your not the only one who is anticipating this game, but for christ sake man, get your addiction under control. nothing is worth the amount of hassle your suggesting, least of all for a stupid video game.

#10 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

@studnoth1n: The fuck? What does it matter to you? The guy just wants to play a game he bought when other people around the world are already playing it. And its not like it is a lot of work...Also, addiction? Don't be silly.

#11 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@studnoth1n said:

that's pretty pathetic. i'm sure your not the only one who is anticipating this game, but for christ sake man, get your addiction under control. nothing is worth the amount of hassle your suggesting, least of all for a stupid video game.

Not a lot of work, bro. I already have a VPN that has nodes in Switzerland, Canada, The Netherlands, several spots in the UK, and about five spots in the US. $42 is like a week's worth of lunches (if not less) if I don't go out with coworkers. It's a hobby, not an addiction.

Kindly go fuck yourself :)

#12 Posted by MezzerliptikJay (33 posts) -

id wait until release like the rest of us in the world normally have to.....

#13 Posted by zenmastah (879 posts) -

Now you know how the rest of the world feels, America.

Lets hope that someday all games come out with one release date, well Europe and NA anyway.

#14 Posted by Mister_V (1229 posts) -
@Tremore agreed. In the digital age staggered release dates make no sense.
#15 Posted by Valient26 (10 posts) -

I have unlocked multiple games early on steam this way, including xcom, dishonored, hitman and many more earlier this year. Unless you are using VPN to buy game at a cheaper price on other region is unlikely you will get ban, but the possibility exist you have to be ready for that, but knowing valve and their reputation that is highly unlikely, they just will not encourage and their official statement on that matter would reflect that.

#16 Posted by Jackel2072 (2239 posts) -

wont using a Proxy do the same thing as a VPN? im pretty sure thats what i did to unlock BF3 early.

#17 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Mister_V said:

Got all the other games AFTER the US. I suppose it evens out, but THAT'S FOUR DAYS I CAN'T TAKE MANNNNN

Not really as most big games are worldwide release they would technically get it a few hours before you, but we get in first in NZ* =)

#18 Posted by Hardtarget (238 posts) -

@murisan said:

@UtamiJogjaf1: Thanks, but I think I'm just going to start my playthrough with a cracked copy on the 30th. I'm waiting on GMG to update their system so I can pre-order it for 30% off. I don't feel too bad doing it this way!

uh the reason you can't buy it right now on GMG is because ubi doesn't allow them sell their games in NA, just like they don't for getgamesgo. It doesn't magically change once the games are out. AC3 still can't be bought in NA through GMG for example.

#19 Posted by CornBREDX (4874 posts) -
Forum rule #3: NO discussion of illegal activities:  Includes but not limited to the discussion of illicit substances, circumvention of copy protection, and piracy of video games or any form of media. If you have a question as to whether something may be illegal or not, contact the moderators and we will let you know. 

Just putting this out there, but this may not be the best place for this discussion.
#20 Posted by Vanek (381 posts) -

We actually get it first? Awesome. This will be a very rare experience. >.>

As for your question, yes, you could get in trouble should you be caught. I'm sure it's covered in the TOS so if you do the proxy thing it's possible for you to be banned, but not that likely. I would just take the hit and wait like the rest of the world normally has to do.

#21 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Vanek: I'm not gonna risk it, since it seems like Ubisoft might ban me. not worried about Valve, but it's not worth it. I just ordered a 4gb $25 RAM upgrade, so I'm gonna wait for that to arrive next monday anyways.

#22 Posted by cannedstingray (387 posts) -

All I know is I preordered, and preloaded, reviews are out, embargos are up!!!

I just want to play this friggin game!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

All I know is I am going to wait 3 weeks, get it around the Holidays at $40 bucks and play it when girlfriend is back home for Xmas.

#24 Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -

It's sitting on steam for me for $70 and I could play right now. Or I could just import it for $40 and it may take 2 weeks or more to get to me. That's my current internal debate.

#25 Posted by npa189 (32 posts) -

Wait this is out tomorrow in the EU? WTF the thing is done and sitting on my HDD why can't Ubi just be cool and unlock it EVERYWHERE?

#26 Posted by kristov_romanov (453 posts) -

It's out now in Australia too. Any idea why it is delayed for you guys in the US? Seems odd

#27 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@kristov_romanov said:

It's out now in Australia too. Any idea why it is delayed for you guys in the US? Seems odd

Dunno, but I'm playing it thanks to an Australian VPN that does $2 for 2 days and NeoGAF :P

#28 Posted by Fattony12000 (7101 posts) -

@murisan: Bah, it's nearly every damn game EVER that people outside of Japan and the US get fucked in the ass on. When I become King Of The World, I will decree it to be thus:

RELEASE YOUR FUCKING VIDEO GAMES IN A TIMELY FASHION.

Here are some examples...

Far Cry 3

EU November 29, 2012

UK November 30, 2012

NA December 4, 2012

Chrono Trigger

JP March 11, 1995

NA August 22, 1995

EU February 6, 2009

Final Fantasy

JP December 17, 1987

NA July 12, 1990

PAL March 14, 2003

Pokémon Red

JP February 27, 1996

NA September 30, 1998

EU October 5, 1999

Halo: Combat Evolved

NA November 15, 2001

EU March 14, 2002

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

JP December 13, 2002

NA March 24, 2003

EU May 2, 2003

#29 Posted by believer258 (11683 posts) -
@Fattony12000

@murisan: Bah, it's nearly every damn game EVER that people outside of Japan and the US get fucked in the ass on. When I become King Of The World, I will decree it to be thus:

RELEASE YOUR FUCKING VIDEO GAMES IN A TIMELY FASHION.

Here are some examples...

Far Cry 3

EU November 29, 2012

UK November 30, 2012

NA December 4, 2012

Chrono Trigger

JP March 11, 1995

NA August 22, 1995

EU February 6, 2009

Final Fantasy

JP December 17, 1987

NA July 12, 1990

PAL March 14, 2003

Pokémon Red

JP February 27, 1996

NA September 30, 1998

EU October 5, 1999

Halo: Combat Evolved

NA November 15, 2001

EU March 14, 2002

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

JP December 13, 2002

NA March 24, 2003

EU May 2, 2003

You guys didn't get Chrono Trigger until 2009!?
...no amount of early releases would ever make up for such a tragedy.
#30 Posted by Humanity (8874 posts) -

I always found different release dates for digital distribution to be incredibly idiotic. If you're buying directly from Steam then what does it matter? You're not getting a box or anything and are even risking the fact that you will lose the game forever should anything happen to your account unlike a brick and mortar store copy. Maybe someone with some inside knowledge about economics/game distribution can enlighten me as to why we have different release dates in the first place?

#31 Posted by Arabes (338 posts) -

@Humanity: While I don't have any inside info, you can be sure that it boils down to money and distribution deals. Same as always.

#32 Posted by SeanFoster (859 posts) -

I'm feeling like the only one not playing this game.

#33 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

Or...you know...you could just wait to play the game.

#34 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@SniperXan said:

Or...you know...you could just wait to play the game.

Great contribution! Thanks for your input.

OT: Does anyone know of a free VPN that allows you to select which server you connect to?

The one I frequently use only connects me to a US ISPs.

#35 Edited by ejiehi (120 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.