Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Uplay PC a good thing?

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alexandru

I know that having more download services will just split our games across multiple accounts, and that in itself sucks. But Ubisoft is known as a company that delays it's PC games, uses draconic DRM and their ports are not always that great (although better than people give them credit for).

But with Far Cry 3, this seems to be completely different. It's a game that launched day-and-date with the console versions, it's clearly superior to the console versions that I don't even know I wanna call it a port, and it only has the one time login.

And this got me thinking. Is this game so good on PC simply because consoles are so old, or is it something more to it? Could it be because of Uplay, and Ubisoft made this game like it's poster child?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

The always online DRM Ubisoft was using on the PC has long since been phased out.

Their PC versions themselves have actually almost always been good, better then most developers in fact, solid (if not with a ton of tweaking options) and always better graphically then console titles; and they also have a lot of PC exclusive titles.

So Far Cry 3 really isn't that much of an exception aside from the release date and a more then usual amount of graphical options.

(i wouldn't call Uplay a good thing just yet as it offers nothing substantial for the hassle, but it's not a bad thing either)

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I actually quite like Uplay. It has a nice enough UI, it isn't as intrusive as GFWL and, probably most importantly, is snappy in starting the games.

The download system isn't as great as Steam, but the automatic cloud syncing is a decent feature.

Plus, Far Cry 3 is just a really, really good game. In and of itself, but also in terms of being a PC iteration of a console game.

It runs like butter, looks gorgeous and has all the bells and whistles that PC gamers love (FOV, advanced graphics options, re-mappable controls and a sensible UI).

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dezztroy

Uplay isn't that bad. I wish I didn't have to use it when I already have Steam though.

Also, the multiplayer on FC3 is kinda fucked. Progression is broken all over the place.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uhtaree

I Still haven't decided what service I'm getting this game from. If I get it from Amazon, does the game always appear in U-play as part of my collection (a la Steam) after I've activated it in there or whatever, or is this game only launched out of there while downloaded on my system from amazon?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquamarin said:

I Still haven't decided what service I'm getting this game from. If I get it from Amazon, does the game always appear in U-play as part of my collection (a la Steam) after I've activated it in there or whatever, or is this game only launched out of there while downloaded on my system from amazon?

It appears under a "My Games" tab in Uplay.

I'll post a screen-shot in a moment, if you want?

No Caption Provided

If you hit "Games", initially it's just a blank background with thumbnails for each game. Selecting the game opens up the full-screen artwork and the various option you can see in the pic.

It's fairly slick and looks nice enough. I can see it being an irritant if you purchased through Steam, though (the Twitter discussion is a really nice touch - the "game hub" section on Steam is pretty lacking).

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uhtaree

@GetEveryone: Yeah, sure. Thanks.

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mr402

Not a big deal. It's one or two quick clicks then your in the game having fun. Uplay, Origin, Steam or whatever they are trivial things to deal with considering the versatility and value that's in pc gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've never had a problem with uPlay. I don't care if I have to load another window that takes all of 5 seconds to get into my game. I also didn't care that I needed an internet connection, but that may be 'privilege'. And their PC versions have always been fine. Actually way better, because of the work Ubi Montreal especially does with animation, looks much nicer to see that animation in 60 fps.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hunkulese

@Alexandru said:

I know that having more download services will just split our games across multiple accounts, and that in itself sucks. But Ubisoft is known as a company that delays it's PC games, uses draconic DRM and their ports are not always that great (although better than people give them credit for).

But with Far Cry 3, this seems to be completely different. It's a game that launched day-and-date with the console versions, it's clearly superior to the console versions that I don't even know I wanna call it a port, and it only has the one time login.

And this got me thinking. Is this game so good on PC simply because consoles are so old, or is it something more to it? Could it be because of Uplay, and Ubisoft made this game like it's poster child?

Why do people say that their ports aren't great? I've played all Assasin's Creed games, Splinter Cell, Driver: SF and Rayman Origins and haven't had a problem with any of them.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By djou

The multiple download clients is getting out of hand, I have five on my desktop alone. And Uplay is laggy, I tried to add friends for the FC3 multiplayer and it took forever.

I'm completely middle of the road about this client, it adds literally nothing to my experience and causes another hassle with managing more logins, friends list, avatars, updates. I didn't buy the game through Uplay and don't plan to in the future. I'll begrudgingly activate my game through them, but I plan to shut off my connection to their server whenever I'm not playing multiplayer.

Also the FC3 PC version is not technically day and date with the consoles. The consoles version are just late. They were delayed a few months so that in the end everything launched together, but I don't think that was the intention.

Most of my games are centralized through Steam and I can understand that Ubi wants a piece of the pie but what they offer is inferior to Steam and Origin (in a distant second.)

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hunkulese said:

@Alexandru said:

Why do people say that their ports aren't great? I've played all Assasin's Creed games, Splinter Cell, Driver: SF and Rayman Origins and haven't had a problem with any of them.

I think people are mostly referring to AC1 which was rather buggy, somewhat poorly optimized for PC hardware and had faulty DRM. Gamers seem really unwilling to let that one go even though Ubisoft has steadily improved the quality of their PC ports over the years to the point now where if I was giving out awards, they've be the recipient of 'Most Improved'.

Uplay is alright, it's not impeding my ability to play any of the games and it's adding a nifty feature or two. I don't really care how my game launches or from where just as long as I'm able to play it without jumping through an unreasonable amount of hoops.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Lukeweizer

I feel like it's just more companies wanting our e-mail address. I understand why they do it, but I'm just sick of having to make ANOTHER account and ANOTHER password for every game I buy.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By colourful_hippie

The Uplay stuff started with AC 3. I don't really care for it cuz it's just an extra step to get to my game instead of just launching through Steam. Cloud saves are nice but Steam can already do that too. At least the Uplay stuff isn't too intrusive that I have a major problem with it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

It seems like Ubisoft is making some slightly-less-poor decisions lately. I'm still pissed about how crappy their support for Dark Messiah of Might & Magic was, though.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Colourful_Hippie said:

The Uplay stuff started with AC 3. I don't really care for it cuz it's just an extra step to get to my game instead of just launching through Steam. Cloud saves are nice but Steam can already do that too. At least the Uplay stuff isn't too intrusive that I have a major problem with it.

I think the Uplay stuff is there for AC:R too. 
    It's been a while since I played it and it's not currenlt installed but I think it launched the same Uplay thing when I wanted to play that. 

OT: I don't think Uplay is bad at all. 
    It's not really bothering me or forcing me to be online to play my games (Looking at you, Steam. "But, some of the steam games do work in offline mode" .. yes.. "some") 
    And for the first time in the history of ever Uplay Points for special stuff you do in games that can award you with stuff. 
    It's not just a useless and dumb number like 360 Achievements or Trophies.  

I'm getting stuff for games on my PC for playing games on my consoles. 
    that's fine by me
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By buft

@GetEveryone said:

@aquamarin said:

It appears under a "My Games" tab in Uplay.

I'll post a screen-shot in a moment, if you want?

No Caption Provided

If you hit "Games", initially it's just a blank background with thumbnails for each game. Selecting the game opens up the full-screen artwork and the various option you can see in the pic.

It's fairly slick and looks nice enough. I can see it being an irritant if you purchased through Steam, though (the Twitter discussion is a really nice touch - the "game hub" section on Steam is pretty lacking).

The best part of the twitter integration is when troll posts or mad complaints make it through, AC revelations was one of the funniest, tweet after tweet of people complaining about uplay

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By abendlaender

Uplay is alright. At least their games are still on steam. And I actually like the uPlay points system. At least there is a point to achievments now. It's stupid stuff, but better than nothing.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By myke_tuna

So far, even though I'm not behind the idea of why it exists, UPlay is pretty good. It's an extra click before I start playing, but I can still add it as a non-Steam game and have hooks that way. But more importantly, I can buy it on Steam outright. I didn't since I got a deal for a non-Steam copy for $25, but before that streak of luck, I was planning on buying it on Steam during the Christmas sales (whether it was discounted or not, though I was hoping it would be).

Subbeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Subbeh

Love Uplay, I'm looking forward to the day when each and every publisher has their own separate bloated drm shop that I have to install in order to play their games. Origin, Steam & Uplay just aren't enough. It's about time all the other publishers caught up and gave me the opportunity to install more pointlessly stupid bullshit on my PC.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JasonR86

In terms of Far Cry 3 I've found that turning the in-game shit and the syncing and internet stuff off helped with performance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.