Wait for Steam Sales?

#1 Posted by beeftothetaco (421 posts) -

Since the QL of Far Cry 3 came out, I've decided that I'm going to pick it up. Now, it's just a matter of when. Do you guys think it's worth the $50 admission fee, or should I wait for sales?

#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

If you have the time to play it now, I'd say buy it. It's worth it. Of course if you have limited time, I'd hold off.

#3 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1178 posts) -

Winter sale is right around the corner, I say wait.

#4 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

What sales are you talking about? Steam Summer Sale 2013? I'm not sure if they will drop the price for under month old AAA title for the holiday sale, so I think you need to wait some time if you want to buy it with a discount.

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11845 posts) -

@Icemo said:

What sales are you talking about? Steam Summer Sale 2013? I'm not sure if they will drop the price for under month old AAA title for the holiday sale, so I think you need to wait some time if you want to buy it with a discount.

I guarantee they will - even if it's just 25%

Also, in case people are unaware, the sale starts on the 20th.

#6 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Not impossible that it'll get a discount, but I wouldn't count on it.

Then again, you can find the game in brick and mortar stores (in Sweden) from about € 30 (Insane Edition at € 50). It's not a Steamworks game, so you won't be able to register it on Steam, but if the price is critical to you, that might be worth checking out.

#7 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

in my opinion the game is EASY worth its full asking price. the game is fantastic.

but if you're desperate to save a few £ then yeah sure wait a few weeks the steam sale.

#8 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (883 posts) -

If you want it cheap, just get it on GreenManGaming. There is a 35% off code you can use now that was for people who did their recent survey, but now they have just released it as enough people took it. Here it is: WINTR-SRVEY-42012

They seem to appreciate if you take the survey as well, so here it is.

If you buy it on GreenManGaming it won't use Steam though. But you shouldn't let that stop you, as the game is quite awesome.

#9 Edited by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

AWFS

Always Wait For (Steam) Sales

#10 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -

If you have other games to play until the sale begins, I recommend that you wait. The game is also really cheap in other regions like Russia and it's not region locked., so if you can find Russians trading it on the steam trading forum, you can get for less than $20 during the sale. I got my preorder copy for about $25 from a Russian trader. Just be sure to always use the trade window in Steam and never trade for CD keys to avoid being scammed.

#11 Edited by Icemo (642 posts) -

@BeachThunder: So when the sale starts, Far Cry 3 has been out for 16 days. I remember that Skyrim didn't get a discount in winter sale 2011, so I wouldn't say that it's a guarantee that FC3 will be on sale. And I think Far Cry 3 is selling well enough even without a sale.

#12 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1178 posts) -

@Icemo said:

@BeachThunder: So when the sale starts, Far Cry 3 has been out for 16 days. I remember that Skyrim didn't get a discount in winter sale 2011, so I wouldn't say that it's a guarantee that it will be on sale. And I think Far Cry 3 is selling well enough even without a sale.

Skryim got a 33% sale in the winter 2011 sale.

#13 Posted by MB (12269 posts) -

I normally wait for Steam sales, but I'm glad I picked this up right away at full price. Totally worth it.

The GMG deal is probably the best you'll see this year, so you may as well use that now...I wouldn't expect Far Cry 3 to be discounted more than 33% this year anywhere else.

#14 Edited by Icemo (642 posts) -

@Icicle7x3 said:

@Icemo said:

@BeachThunder: So when the sale starts, Far Cry 3 has been out for 16 days. I remember that Skyrim didn't get a discount in winter sale 2011, so I wouldn't say that it's a guarantee that it will be on sale. And I think Far Cry 3 is selling well enough even without a sale.

Skryim got a 33% sale in the winter 2011 sale.

Oops, never mind me then. But still it's not a guarantee since Skyrim was out in Nov. 11th and FC3 was out in Dec. 4th so skyrim was out longer before the sale.

#15 Posted by HellBound (1086 posts) -

Wait for Xmas sale. It will most likely be 5-10 bucks off at the most though.

#16 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

AWFS

Always Wait For (Steam) Sales

This. If I'm not ultimately hyped to the point of prepurchasing the game I always wait for a reduction.

#17 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is game of the year quality, Just buy it, it's worth every penny

#18 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

I was kind of in your boat, but when I saw how much people were liking it I just said 'fuck it'. Plus I bought it in the States, so it's actually like 1/3rd off for someone from Australia, even the deluxe edition.

#19 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

It's bound to get some discount in the sales, even if it's not a lot. They're only right around the corner, so I'd say hold on and get it then.

#20 Posted by isomeri (1254 posts) -

I'm waiting for the Steam Holiday Sale purely because I'm still going through Dishonored and haven't even started Mark of the Ninja.

#21 Posted by djou (874 posts) -

I think the PC version is worth $50 there's a ton of game here, most of it is pretty fun, and runs nice on the right machine. Although I second that you should look at GMG for discounts, the 35% code they are offering seems to pop up frequently. Its almost pointless to buy the game directly through Steam, there are no achievements and the multiplayer connects through Uplay (which also manages the cloud saving). Its only worthwhile if you want to share screenshots with friends and log your gameplay hours. You should go with whatever is cheapest since you'll be going through the Uplay portal anyway.

#22 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

its all about how much money/time you have right now, the game is well worth the full price.

#23 Posted by beeftothetaco (421 posts) -

@Jaqen_HGhar: When I type it into the search bar, it doesn't show up. Do I have to be a member or something?

#24 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (883 posts) -

@beeftothetaco: How odd... I find it on the main page though, without being logged in. Here is a link. Hope it works.

#25 Posted by Karkarov (3071 posts) -

@beeftothetaco: @beeftothetaco said:

Since the QL of Far Cry 3 came out, I've decided that I'm going to pick it up. Now, it's just a matter of when. Do you guys think it's worth the $50 admission fee, or should I wait for sales?

Uh yeah it is worth the 50. It will definitely be in my top 5 this year minimum.

#26 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Steam have kind of shot them selves in the foot with all these sales, hard to buy a PC game in the holidays when the Christmas sales are just around the corner.

#27 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@Icemo said:

I guarantee they will - even if it's just 25%

Also, in case people are unaware, the sale starts on the 20th.

Strange that the Autumn and Winter sales are in such close proximity to one another.

I feel like the other one has just ended.

#28 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I really want this one too but I'm going to still wait for the holiday sale. I doubt it will even be on sale at all but I'll take 10% off than full price. I have plenty of games that can hold me over for the next month.

#29 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

With it being such a recent release, hard to say (if a december steam sale is happening) if it will be on sale. Believe that some of the sale pricing is whatever Ubi agrees to but I'd believe that it'd only be 10-15% due to it being so new. Though if you get it now while you have time to play it, you can take advantage of the holidays by converting your friends to picking it up as it looks like a lot of fun.

#30 Posted by Xeirus (1297 posts) -

@isomeri said:

I'm waiting for the Steam Holiday Sale purely because I'm still going through Dishonored and haven't even started Mark of the Ninja.

Man, Mark of the Ninja is aweeesome. Enjoy it.

Personally I'm waiting on the Steam sale, I've spent too much money on presents and there's already too many games to play. Free-to-play has made waiting so much easier.

#31 Posted by pyromagnestir (4299 posts) -

Shame on the lack of faith in the steam sale going on in here. Of course it will be one sale! Steam is the greatest thing ever!

Now, it may not drop as low as that 35% coupon, so you might want to just go ahead and jump on that. I'm guessing that at best it'll be 25% off for it's regular sale price, and 33% off for a daily deal, like Skyrim was.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

You can always wait but on the other hand I don't think you'll feel slighted if you spend the full amount Far Cry 3 is a fantastic game its 100% worth full price.

#33 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

@MB said:

I normally wait for Steam sales, but I'm glad I picked this up right away at full price. Totally worth it.

The GMG deal is probably the best you'll see this year, so you may as well use that now...I wouldn't expect Far Cry 3 to be discounted more than 33% this year anywhere else.

I tried to find Far Cry 3 on GMG yesterday, and it wasn't anywhere to be seen. Am I just blind?

#34 Posted by djou (874 posts) -

I think GMG sometimes runs out of codes and the game goes off sale.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/far-cry-3

FC3 should be on sale at the link above. It will probably come back soon, just check back later.

The deal is a great offer I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bum rush since some of their codes stack. Unfortunately the site is not transparent when things are unavailable.

#35 Posted by itspizza (433 posts) -

I have quite the que of games to play, and even though FC3 looks super interesting, I'll wait for the eventual steam sale

#36 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5143 posts) -

Winter sale will probably start next week.

#37 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I'm waiting for the sale.

#38 Posted by gaminghooligan (1435 posts) -

Not that I don't think it's worth full price, but with the Steam sale around the corner, I'd just as soon wait to see if it gets a price cut.

#39 Posted by mikeeegeee (1554 posts) -

For anyone confused by @Jaqen_HGhar's GMG suggestion, after a bit of research I learned that US citizens are not allowed to purchase the game via GMG. Shucks.

#40 Posted by Akyho (1599 posts) -

I can already buy Far cry for the PC for £19.99 in places. That's like $35?

So maybe shop around? It will just end up being a Steam key anyway.

#41 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (883 posts) -

@mikeeegeee: Seriously? Man, that is weird. Usually you guys never have these restrictions on things, it is us Europeans and such that get fucked. Oh well, you'll just have to wait for sales at other locations then. Monitor this and everything should be fine.

#42 Posted by verbalmedal (55 posts) -

Buy that game now. Hell, buy two copies.

#43 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Just noticed this today, for the rest of the week Target stores have this for $10 off (all versions). If nothing else grab it then as it seems like a good deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.