When is the GB review coming out?

#1 Posted by sam1am7000 (98 posts) -

Now I know that many of the people on the site don't come here for reviews, but I really enjoy reviews that the crew write. I am eagerly awaiting the review from the site... is anyone else?

Is it just because of the different release dates (EU vs US) that the embargo is longer on the site?

#2 Posted by jjnen (659 posts) -

Didn't they say on ILM that embargo has ended?

#3 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

Far Cry 3 game of the year?

#4 Posted by pandorasbox (301 posts) -

Embargo is up. The review can happen at any time. Rock, paper, shotgun has already released their review. My guess is that the crew are still playing it.

#5 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

Patrick will likely break out a filibuster for it. But no.

#6 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

I bet the guys haven't even finished playing Halo 4/ Hitman Absolution/ Black Ops 2. I have a job that doesn't require me to play video games and I've already finished all those games plus multiplayer. I don't know what takes them so long sometimes :P

Hopefully their review lands on thursday so that the large European audience on Giantbomb can make their purchasing decision.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (5972 posts) -

When they get used to the new office.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9365 posts) -

@sam1am7000:

Jeff is playing it. I imagine within the week. Maybe tomorrow.

#9 Posted by pandorasbox (301 posts) -
@ShaggE lmfao
#10 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

In the I love Monday video, Brad said he was playing it as well and that they will do a quick look this week.

#11 Posted by sam1am7000 (98 posts) -

@Vinny_Says: I've gone and pre-ordered it :D (from India but that apparently comes under Europe)

#12 Posted by AssInAss (2392 posts) -
@adam1808

@phrosnite said:

Patrick will likely break out a filibuster for it. But no.

Why not? Every other sequel this year hasn't lived up to expectations.
#13 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

@AssInAss: The Walking Dead. Journey. XCOM.

Far Cry 3 may be a super awesome sandbox shooter, but it isn't very likely that the whole crew will play it and they have all played TWD, XCOM and Journey and loved them. As we've learned from the past few years, the games that the whole crew have played and love tend to beat games that some may love but the other guys are less hot on.

#14 Posted by sam1am7000 (98 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

Far Cry 3 may be a super awesome sandbox shooter, but it isn't very likely that the whole crew will play it and they have all played TWD, XCOM and Journey and loved them. As we've learned from the past few years, the games that the whole crew have played and love tend to beat games that some may love but the other guys are less hot on.

Those are not really sequels... "The Walking Dead" - 5 episodes of a single game; "Journey" - a sequel to flower?; "XCOM" - this one comes the closest but 18 years later....

I'll give you that there is not much in common between the Far Cry games but i would comfortable in calling Far Cry 3 a sequel to Far Cry 2.

But your other thought of not all of the crew playing this game does seem right on.

#15 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Can people stop mentioning Journey, it's a nice looking game but come on.

#16 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -
@sam1am7000 I'm pretty sure they weren't calling those games sequels, just games that are more likely to win the entire crew over for a GOTY award.

@AssInAss I'm confused, why should a game have to be a sequel in order to qualify for GOTY?
#17 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior

Have you played it?
#18 Edited by JacDG (2112 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

I bet the guys haven't even finished playing Halo 4/ Hitman Absolution/ Black Ops 2. I have a job that doesn't require me to play video games and I've already finished all those games plus multiplayer. I don't know what takes them so long sometimes :P

Hopefully their review lands on thursday so that the large European audience on Giantbomb can make their purchasing decision.

Damn, really? I'm waaaay behind, still need to play games I purchased more than a year ago! I continue to just play the newest cool game instead of finishing the older ones, stupid me.

@adam1808 said:

I've heard the story and character in Far Cry 3 are incredible though, so it might have what it takes if the gameplay stays sharp.

#19 Edited by sam1am7000 (98 posts) -

@JacDG said:

@adam1808 said:

I've heard the story and character in Far Cry 3 are incredible though, so it might have what it takes if the gameplay stays sharp.

It's the open world that most of the reviews that I've read seem to be raving about (RPS - not the review but an article and Eurogamer).

Edit: links below -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/21/wot-i-think-far-cry-3-single-player/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-21-far-cry-3-review

#20 Posted by Lysergica33 (477 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Hate to de-rail the thread, but Journey is way more than just a nice looking game. That game had a lot going on philosophically, is nigh-on perfectly paced and is quite innovative. Much more than just a pretty face, credit where it's due 'n all that.

#21 Posted by kpaadet (409 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I dont know, can people stop mentioning TWD? Its a nice concept for a game but the gameplay is fucking awful.

#22 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

@sam1am7000: I wasn't making the point that they were sequels, merely that those games are likely to beat out Far Cry 3 regardless of whether as a sequel it lives up expectations.

#23 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@kpaadet said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I dont know, can people stop mentioning TWD? Its a nice concept for a game but the gameplay is fucking awful.

There is no gameplay, it's a QTE story.

#24 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -
@kpaadet

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Opinions on the internet!
#25 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Brad is still playing it so I expect sometime this week.

#26 Edited by sam1am7000 (98 posts) -

@adam1808: Got it. My mistake.

#27 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4656 posts) -

When it's done.

#28 Posted by AssInAss (2392 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

@AssInAss I'm confused, why should a game have to be a sequel in order to qualify for GOTY?

I'm confused too, where did I say that? I'm pretty sure I just said this is one of the few sequels that doesn't seem to be disappointing this year.

My favorite games from this year are not sequels, even made a NeoGAF thread about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501529

#29 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@kpaadet said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Indee'.

It has almost literally no gameplay to disregard. I can count on one hand the number of times I actually did anything.

It's a point and click, with a huge emphasis on story-telling.

#30 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -
@AssInAss must've misinterpreted your post then, never mind. I agree that sequels this year haven't blown me away. High hopes for FC3.
#31 Posted by SAC (103 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@kpaadet said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

sooo... did you actually play Journey, or what?

#32 Posted by Animasta (14458 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@kpaadet said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Indee'.

It has almost literally no gameplay to disregard. I can count on one hand the number of times I actually did anything.

you forgot the dumb puzzles.

#33 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@kpaadet said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Indee'.

Dumb Puzzles? What getting the train moving is the only thing I can think of that slightly resembles a Puzzle. Most of the game is really just Heavy Rain done right.

#34 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@kpaadet said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Indee'.

Why are they dumb? As bourbon said, I can only think of the train one - and it wasn't so much a puzzle as a necessity. Besides, the first part of it (getting the engine running) played a little like an old-school Resi puzzle.

The game has flaws. Everything does. But it makes up for its shortcomings with spades and spades of quality.

People are raving about it for a reason.

#35 Posted by RAMBO604 (137 posts) -

Knowing the current propensity for reviews to not be on time, probably a week or two after the game comes out. Not hating just pointing out they've been getting later and later. Halo 4 was the only review to come out with the embargoes lately. Most stuff has taken a couple days to a week. Reviewers had Assassin's Creed 3 for weeks before release, and Ryan's review still came out a week or two late. Really curious as to what has been going on recently.

#36 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@Lysergica33 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Hate to de-rail the thread, but Journey is way more than just a nice looking game. That game had a lot going on philosophically, is nigh-on perfectly paced and is quite innovative. Much more than just a pretty face, credit where it's due 'n all that.

It had a lot going on philosophically, but they were directly retreading the same ground they covered with Flower. For me, Flower was special while Journey was simply Flower reimagined with a new face.

#37 Edited by Lysergica33 (477 posts) -

@project343 said:

@Lysergica33 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

It had a lot going on philosophically, but they were directly retreading the same ground they covered with Flower. For me, Flower was special while Journey was simply Flower reimagined with a new face.

Sure, they were a re-tread of the same gameplay concepts. Jenova Chen has stated that he sees all of thatgamecompany's games thus far as being about bringing the player into a state of "flow" so that they may truly get lost in an experience, essentially transcendance of a sort. So really, you could just say Flower is flow reimagined too. They're all quite similar in that regard but they all explore different things thematically. Flower seems more about the duality of nature and inner cities, or perhaps manmade things/man's influence on the planet, whatever. Journey to me seemed to be about a sacred journey towards transcendence, and ultimately rebirth. So while they may share that same fundamental transcendent, zoney feeling, they're really different games

#38 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Couple years give or take.

#39 Posted by RAMBO604 (137 posts) -

Release day for a game that has been out in most territories for a week and in the hands of reviewers for even longer, and alas no GB review.

Why is content just drying up since CBS acquired them? Reviews are much later then they ever were at Whiskey Media, news articles are barely hitting on point. Only text that is consistent is Patrick's Worth Reading. Other than that Giant Bomb has been a quick look factory anymore.

#40 Edited by pandorasbox (301 posts) -

@RAMBO604 said:

Release day for a game that has been out in most territories for a week and in the hands of reviewers for even longer, and alas no GB review.

Why is content just drying up since CBS acquired them? Reviews are much later then they ever were at Whiskey Media, news articles are barely hitting on point. Only text that is consistent is Patrick's Worth Reading. Other than that Giant Bomb has been a quick look factory anymore.

I agree that content is lacking, but there are tons other threads for that discussion.

FC3 review probably isn't happening if it doesn't happen today.

#41 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

To be fair gamespot posted their review just last week. They are just trying to get the full grasp of the game but it still has been an awfully long time.

#42 Posted by believer258 (11033 posts) -

I just watched ILM and Brad said that he was working on it. Meaning sometime soon.

#43 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i don't need a review to tell me just how good this game is.

ok the HUD is slightly annoying (sure they will add a remove HUD at some point) and by all accounts the MP is not great.

but for me its the best game i've played this year. its fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.