Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Who Has Read Alice In Wonderland?

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By david3cm

After playing any amount of the game, or watching previews about it, it is very evident that Ubisoft is using Lewis Carroll's story for inspiration. I have never read Alice in Wonderland but with my limited knowledge about the the book there are some parallels that I can discern, from the story being about traveling to an unfamiliar place, to the amount of drugs used in both, and of course the quotes that are peppered throughout. But that is where my knowledge ends, and I am just wondering if there are more direct references that i am missing never having read the book. Do any of the characters in the game parallel characters in the story? Plot points, thematic elements? I am interested in reading the story having finished the game, as reading The Heart of Darkness was interesting to read after playing the second game.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I'd say there are some pretty blatant parallels to Through the Looking Glass. If you feel compelled to read the story, I'd say go for it. To outright tell you would spoil the surprise of some of the connections between the two.

It's a treat on its own, but yeah, read it.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Patman99

Well there was that one point in Alice in Wonderland where Alice runs down a shark with a jet-ski.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Strife777

I haven't read it, but it seems there's also similar themes of insanity/madness.

I certainly doubt they just took a bunch of quotes from it randomly.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@david3cm said:

to the amount of drugs used in both

There aren't really any drugs there, though. I think the closest is how Alice keeps some mushroom on hand to change size, but there's nothing really druggy about it.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By david3cm

@Patman99: You have convinced me to read that book.

@Video_Game_King: Yeah, most of my information has come from references in movies and tv, and the stoners in my highschool painting scenes from it on their backpacks.

pekarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By pekarn

@Video_Game_King: The whole story is basically Alice on a drug trip. Chasing a white rabbit, mad hatter, talking playing cards, a smoking caterpillar. I don't see how it could be any more "druggy". :)

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pekarn:

It was references to math and the world of a ten year old girl. Hell, the final chapter kinda confirms the latter.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By fox01313

While I liked Alice in Wonderland, thought there's other better stories out there from around that same time from better authors. Still recommend people read Alice just to see how it got started since it's been so influential in popular culture.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.