Why do the GB crew seem to hate the characters SO MUCH

  • 162 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#1 Posted by ZeroV2 (43 posts) -

They're just regular 20 somethings doing 20 somethings stuff, yet every time the crew talks about the cast it's like they're the worst scum ever

At worst they're slightly annoying, I don't know why the crew hates the characters so fervently and feels the need to point out how horrible and terrible they are, especially since they seem entirely normal

#2 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Nope. Those are not regular 20 somethings. Those are spoiled brats with rich daddies that (from the intro) GAVE THEM A BLACK CARD. Know what a black card is? It's a credit card for "super-affluent high net worth individuals on a continual quest for the best and most exclusive. They own companies and frequently travel; they define success. Exceptionally discerning and style-conscious, Centurion members are global players who gain truly worldwide access to the inaccessible." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card (AMEX's version of the black card)

In other words, these are the children of CEO's. They are "the 1%" in the worst way. If this is what you think a regular 20 something is, then you yourself might be part of the problem. Getting parents to pay for everything, being handed jobs due to your parents' success or power, or just carrying the family name. Just saying.. most people don't see these characters and think, "hah, just like my friends!"

#3 Posted by ZeroV2 (43 posts) -

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

#4 Posted by Unequivocable (222 posts) -

yes

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Anyone else notice that Jason at some points has wild mood swings? 
 
Like when you save the second girl. You go from calling her name to calm her down in the burnin building. To yelling at her to get in the car an drive. To screaming in happiness over explosions then to him being all : I dont know what to do" 

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24783 posts) -
@ZeroV2

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

They come across as entitled douchebags, so yes.
#7 Posted by Captain_Insano (1537 posts) -

'I haven't done sambucca since I was 20 years old' Woooo

Cue flying past giving the finger.

They're 20 somethings yes.

They're particularly douchey 20 somethings. Also yes.

That, to me, makes the intro to the game entirely more awesome. I like the fact that they have created these realistic douchebag characters. They seem believable.

#8 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

It's weird to me but I think the Giantbomb dudes would like this game a lot more and it would be in the GOTY running if it NEVER had an interesting story instead of having one that is basially quite interesting for half of it and then just pretty good.

At least they are trying different things and if the story has some good moments its better than just about all video game stories, so that's cool.

#9 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

If you look around the net you'll find that a lot of folks, not just the staff here, hate them too for the very reasons people have listed here.

#10 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@ZeroV2 said:

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

They didn't earn any of that money, so acting like they deserve any of it does indeed make them shitty people.

#11 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3869 posts) -

They're kinda douchey 20-somethings yeah but there's definitely worse people. Although the dude flipping the bird as he flies past...yeah that guy sucks hard. HARD

#12 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

They're not that bad, in all honesty. And the fact that you barely interact with them during the story kind of leaves me scratching my head as to why the GB crew hates them so much.

#13 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

@murisan said:

@ZeroV2 said:

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

They didn't earn any of that money, so acting like they deserve any of it does indeed make them shitty people.

There's a reason rich kids often end up like this. It's not inhuman.

When people are given money they don't usually sit there and wring their hands about it or refuse to accept the benefits.

#14 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4800 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ZeroV2

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

They come across as entitled douchebags, so yes.

Except that they don't. That's you projecting. They're written like a group of friends, any group of friends, really. Outside of Keith who draws attention to how manly he is (and that foreshadows a, eh, rude awakening, let's say), the three Brody brothers and the stoner friend (Oliver) are just good dudes looking to enjoy themselves. They're not pushy, rude, or excessively "cool." They're, in essence, you and your friends (if you have any).

That's why I don't understand the hate these characters get. All of the people complaining about them behave like them more than they think. They're solid people who are going on an adventure across Asia. Because Oliver's dad is rich that somehow makes them entitled douchebags, though.

TL;DR - apparently you can't be "a real person" unless you're poor and have no friends.

#15 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

Well, they are really, really, really, extremely poorly written. But the guys on GB seem to follow the thought process that a lot of people in the US follow in that if you're rich you are the scum of the Earth.

#16 Posted by ZeroV2 (43 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon:

Exactly. Yeah they're a little douchey, in exactly the same way that ALL friends are douchey to each other. in exactly the same way that the GB crew are douchey to each other all the time as a joke.

They seem like perfectly nice people who certainly didn't deserve to be kidnapped and molested

#17 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Hailinel said:

@ZeroV2

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

They come across as entitled douchebags, so yes.

Except that they don't. That's you projecting. They're written like a group of friends, any group of friends, really. Outside of Keith who draws attention to how manly he is (and that foreshadows a, eh, rude awakening, let's say), the three Brody brothers and the stoner friend (Oliver) are just good dudes looking to enjoy themselves. They're not pushy, rude, or excessively "cool." They're, in essence, you and your friends (if you have any).

That's why I don't understand the hate these characters get. All of the people complaining about them behave like them more than they think. They're solid people who are going on an adventure across Asia. Because Oliver's dad is rich that somehow makes them entitled douchebags, though.

TL;DR - apparently you can't be "a real person" unless you're poor and have no friends.

Exactly. The only time they seem the least bit douchey to me are a couple parts in that home video. The rest of the time, they just seem like normal people.

#18 Edited by Etnos (245 posts) -

@ZeroV2 said:

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

I don't think it is about the socioeconomic background, I just think they are unlikable characters with bad writing plain and simple.

The game is awesome but the writing is pretty lame. Compare it to Far Cry 2.. you have a super soldier: he was trained to be a killing machine. However, within the context of the game he is constantly faced with frustration, and the realities of war: sickness, bad weapons, betrayal etc... This was a very smart way to create empathy with you character imo.

Far Cry 3 is the lamest of the white power trip fantasies: you have a useless spoiled brat who goes from shitting his pants to a killing machine in literary 2 minutes. He spend the whole game killing brown/black people to save white people, but its not just that... He was also choose by the GOOD BROWN PEOPLE of the island to be their SAVIOR!

It also doesn't help every time he speaks, he sounds like a cheap teen-reality tv douche bag.

#19 Edited by Turambar (6784 posts) -

I find them rather dumb (and not in the good way), but the degree to which some, such as Murisan here, loathe them, have much more to do with real world class biases than any actual faults of the characters within the game. That said, such biases so don't exactly disappear when you opt to interact with a fictional world as opposed to the real one, so the hate is perfectly understandable.

#20 Edited by bagrm (52 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Hailinel said:

@ZeroV2

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

They come across as entitled douchebags, so yes.

Except that they don't. That's you projecting. They're written like a group of friends, any group of friends, really. Outside of Keith who draws attention to how manly he is (and that foreshadows a, eh, rude awakening, let's say), the three Brody brothers and the stoner friend (Oliver) are just good dudes looking to enjoy themselves. They're not pushy, rude, or excessively "cool." They're, in essence, you and your friends (if you have any).

That's why I don't understand the hate these characters get. All of the people complaining about them behave like them more than they think. They're solid people who are going on an adventure across Asia. Because Oliver's dad is rich that somehow makes them entitled douchebags, though.

TL;DR - apparently you can't be "a real person" unless you're poor and have no friends.

Exactly. The only time they seem the least bit douchey to me are a couple parts in that home video. The rest of the time, they just seem like normal people.

I was thinking that the opening movie, and the characters in general, might have something to do with Ubisoft not being a US company. Seems like they wanted to have the characters come off as naive, innocent young people that are really sheltered but nice. They come off as kinda douchy instead, but I think that might be because Ubi Montreal was trying to make the characters seem hyper-American or something, and they ended up being some weird stereotype of young American people.

#21 Edited by gaminghooligan (1445 posts) -

As a 20-something who works everyday to pay for school, home, food, and games. Those are the kind of people I can't stand. So yes, they are totally unlikable d-bags from what I saw in the QL, maybe the story changes them, I don't know I haven't played it yet.

EDIT: However,

@Demoskinos said:

I'm fine with the characters I've seen I do believe most of them now and they seem decent enough people. Sure, they may be loaded but just because your loaded doesn't mean you are rendered incapable of being a decent human being. If anything the situation they were put in made them show who exactly they really are regardless of the money because the money doesn't matter when your being hunted by sociopath pirates.

^brings up a good point.

Online
#22 Edited by Kidavenger (3548 posts) -

I haven't seen any more of this game than what was shown in the quicklook, but isn't it fairly typical for people on vacation to act up a bit, it all seems fairly representative of every single spring break video ever made.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14829 posts) -

I'm fine with the characters I've seen I do believe most of them now and they seem decent enough people. Sure, they may be loaded but just because your loaded doesn't mean you are rendered incapable of being a decent human being. If anything the situation they were put in made them show who exactly they really are regardless of the money because the money doesn't matter when your being hunted by sociopath pirates.

#24 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

I'm actually glad that I got through the intro in a vacuum, without knowing all the outrage. And it certainly was not exclusive to the GB guys as I subsequently saw many people complaining about the characters. My personal reaction was that they were just kind of.... from a way different place than me and acted way different than I did with my old college buddies. It definitely did not solicit a reaction of "hating" them or being like, "I can't play any more of this game due to them". I'm happy that I can consume media and entertainment where I don't necessarily agree with or like the characters. In fact, I love characters that I can be conflicted about. I haven't finished this game yet so who knows how I feel at the end, but I really think that the intro did nothing to sway me from wanting to save these people and keep playing this extremely fun game.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4800 posts) -

@Etnos said:

@ZeroV2 said:

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

I don't think it is about the socioeconomic background, I just think they are unlikable characters with bad writing plain and simple.

The game is awesome but the writing is pretty lame. Compare it to Far Cry 2.. you have a super soldier: he was trained to be a killing machine. However, within the context of the game he is constantly faced with frustration, and the realities of war: sickness, bad weapons, betrayal etc... This was a very smart way to create empathy with you character imo.

Far Cry 3 is the lamest of the white power trip fantasies: you have a useless spoiled brat who goes from shitting his pants to a killing machine in literary 2 minutes. He spend the whole game killing brown/black people to save white people, but its not just that... He was also choose by the GOOD BROWN PEOPLE of the island to be their SAVIOR!

It also doesn't help every time he speaks, he sounds like a cheap teen-reality tv douche bag.

You show a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to the plot of Far Cry 3. Spoilers to follow.

Those "good brown people" you mention are not all that good, home boy. There is more than subtle evidence to suggest that Dennis, Citra, and the Rakyat tribe are using Jason Brody to further their own agenda. They don't want peace on the island, they want control back from Hoyt and Vaas. That's the power struggle. The Rakyat were used to controlling the population due to their brutality and their, well, batshit crazy philosophy. Hoyt Valker came to town with his mercenary army and brushed them aside with little effort. Jason stumbles into them and is plied with hallucinogenic narcotics (both ingested and tattooed onto his skin) to make him feel invincible. People who don't believe they can die become fearless. Jason's abilities stem from natural athleticism and a drug-induced DGAF attitude.

The "good brown people" are hardly defenseless. They just don't see the point in attacking Hoyt directly when they have a stoned college grad willing to kill for them. You could argue that Far Cry 3 uses the "white saviour" trope, but it in actuality turns that trope on its head with the narrative they actually present. Why do you think Citra kills you if you choose to kill your friends? They're done with you. Their enemies have been vanquished and they are now free to oppress and control the population once again.

But hey, don't let the truth knock you from your soapbox. Enjoy feeling superior to everyone else.

#26 Posted by CornBREDX (5279 posts) -

They're spoiled rich kids. The opposite of relate-able. 
I thought it was harsh when Jeff said they deserve to be made into slaves, but eh... I get why he hates them. I'm not a fan of them either.

#27 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

Yeah, I don't get it either. Hating someone for something that is out of their control is terrible. Yes, that includes people that grow up with a lot of money, and are self confident. They are definitely meant to represent typical slightly self centered young people but they're not freaking monsters. The internet hate by the Giant Bomb crew and by many of the commenters here seems classist to the nth degree.

#28 Posted by CABBAGES (526 posts) -

They just seem like americans in general to me. Not saying i dislike americans just that i dont think they seemed that bad.

#29 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@murisan said:

Nope. Those are not regular 20 somethings. Those are spoiled brats with rich daddies that (from the intro) GAVE THEM A BLACK CARD. Know what a black card is? It's a credit card for "super-affluent high net worth individuals on a continual quest for the best and most exclusive. They own companies and frequently travel; they define success. Exceptionally discerning and style-conscious, Centurion members are global players who gain truly worldwide access to the inaccessible." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card (AMEX's version of the black card)

In other words, these are the children of CEO's. They are "the 1%" in the worst way. If this is what you think a regular 20 something is, then you yourself might be part of the problem. Getting parents to pay for everything, being handed jobs due to your parents' success or power, or just carrying the family name. Just saying.. most people don't see these characters and think, "hah, just like my friends!"

This and

@Hailinel said:

@ZeroV2

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

They come across as entitled douchebags, so yes.

and all of this.

I came around on most of the characters because they developed them more but I still finished the gaming hating Jason Brody and that dumbass Oliver. Oliver continues to be a dumbass and does a great job of maintaining the stupid stoner stereotype.

#30 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

Seems like a really shitty way for people to live their lives, judging everybody that has more money than them. But eh, more power to them I suppose.

#31 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

Seems like a really shitty way for people to live their lives, judging everybody that has more money than them. But eh, more power to them I suppose.

This is America at this point. No one thinks anyone should have the right to be rich.

The characters being rich, besides what they are actually doing, doesn't come across to me so much as them just being bros.

As a dude in his early 20's just ending college, these are like bros I encountered all the damn time.

#32 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1617 posts) -

@murisan said:

@ZeroV2 said:

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

They didn't earn any of that money, so acting like they deserve any of it does indeed make them shitty people.

You must have played a different game, because I the game I played those guys were not even fleshed out enough to actually come to that conclusion. They had a party and probably rich parents. But I did see nothing in the intro or any conversations with them that would justify that kind of "hate" towards them.

#33 Edited by Etnos (245 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: The game still paints this very well defined classic picture of the civilized white boys surviving in a savage land of brown cannibals.

Why not making the main character a native of the island? I think that would have open refreshing venues for good writing.

Considering the enemies of the game are so likeable and well portrayed, What about a deserting pirate?

#34 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@jsnyder82 said:

Seems like a really shitty way for people to live their lives, judging everybody that has more money than them. But eh, more power to them I suppose.

This is America at this point. No one thinks anyone should have the right to be rich.

I'm not rich, but I know a couple people who are well off, and I have to be honest, they're two of the nicest people I've met in my life. Maybe because they're not constantly spending their time shitting on people.

#35 Posted by Matiaz_Tapia (268 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Etnos said:

@ZeroV2 said:

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

I don't think it is about the socioeconomic background, I just think they are unlikable characters with bad writing plain and simple.

The game is awesome but the writing is pretty lame. Compare it to Far Cry 2.. you have a super soldier: he was trained to be a killing machine. However, within the context of the game he is constantly faced with frustration, and the realities of war: sickness, bad weapons, betrayal etc... This was a very smart way to create empathy with you character imo.

Far Cry 3 is the lamest of the white power trip fantasies: you have a useless spoiled brat who goes from shitting his pants to a killing machine in literary 2 minutes. He spend the whole game killing brown/black people to save white people, but its not just that... He was also choose by the GOOD BROWN PEOPLE of the island to be their SAVIOR!

It also doesn't help every time he speaks, he sounds like a cheap teen-reality tv douche bag.

You show a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to the plot of Far Cry 3. Spoilers to follow.

Those "good brown people" you mention are not all that good, home boy. There is more than subtle evidence to suggest that Dennis, Citra, and the Rakyat tribe are using Jason Brody to further their own agenda. They don't want peace on the island, they want control back from Hoyt and Vaas. That's the power struggle. The Rakyat were used to controlling the population due to their brutality and their, well, batshit crazy philosophy. Hoyt Valker came to town with his mercenary army and brushed them aside with little effort. Jason stumbles into them and is plied with hallucinogenic narcotics (both ingested and tattooed onto his skin) to make him feel invincible. People who don't believe they can die become fearless. Jason's abilities stem from natural athleticism and a drug-induced DGAF attitude.

The "good brown people" are hardly defenseless. They just don't see the point in attacking Hoyt directly when they have a stoned college grad willing to kill for them. You could argue that Far Cry 3 uses the "white saviour" trope, but it in actuality turns that trope on its head with the narrative they actually present. Why do you think Citra kills you if you choose to kill your friends? They're done with you. Their enemies have been vanquished and they are now free to oppress and control the population once again.

But hey, don't let the truth knock you from your soapbox. Enjoy feeling superior to everyone else.

Aren't you the guy who claims to have the "best" opinion on the matter? Trying to say your opinion about a game hardly means that one has a superiority complex. It could be wrong, yes, but you seem to be the one with the "truth" and everyone else seems to lack a "fundamental understanding".

Online
#36 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@jsnyder82 said:

Seems like a really shitty way for people to live their lives, judging everybody that has more money than them. But eh, more power to them I suppose.

This is America at this point. No one thinks anyone should have the right to be rich.

I'm not rich, but I know a couple people who are well off, and I have to be honest, they're two of the nicest people I've met in my life. Maybe because they're not constantly spending their time shitting on people.

Being rich doesn't make you bad at all, but many people will assume so. As I said this is an American popular phenomenon. Maybe it has always existed but I notice it now a lot for sure, I think more than when I was younger. Rich = evil, apparently.

@Etnos said:

@Oldirtybearon: The game still paints this very well defined classic picture of the civilized white boys surviving in a savage land of brown cannibals.

Why not making the main character a native of the island? I think that would have open refreshing venues for good writing.

That's not what the Far Cry series is about. 2 is a bit different (because it is so militaristic) but is ultimately similar and 1 is in the same vein as 3. The very name "Far Cry" speaks to the stranger in a strange land idea.

#37 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1329 posts) -

Who isn't douchey with their friends in their 20s? Come on people, give me a break.

#38 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4800 posts) -

@Etnos said:

@Oldirtybearon: The game still paints this very well defined classic picture of the civilized white boys surviving in a savage land of brown cannibals.

Why not making the main character a native of the island? I think that would have open refreshing venues for good writing.

Because that's not the story they wanted to tell. In order to tell the story of a fractured, broken half-society like the one on Rook Island, you need to come in from an outsider perspective. Not only because someone needs to explain all of the mystical voodoo shit, but also to explain why Vaas is such a monster as well as show the vignettes of other disturbed characters. Everyone comes to Rook Island because they're either running from something or because that's the only place where they can be the monsters that they are. Starting the game as one such a monster doesn't give you the context necessary to appreciate just how bizarre and utterly nuts the island actually is.

It also doesn't give you the opportunity for the final quest/mission/whatever to manifest as a battle of morality. To succumb to the savagery and revel in it, or to have your conscience resurface and realize just how far down the rabbit hole you've fallen.

Getting mad over shooting "good brown people" in something like Call of Duty I can understand. That has always been exploitative of the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. But to say that a bunch of batshit crazy islanders somehow makes Far Cry 3 racist is pushing it leagues farther than Stretch Armstrong could reach.

#39 Posted by Spoonman671 (4635 posts) -

Why wouldn't you hate these pieces of shit?  They've been kidnapping people, holding them for ransom money, then selling them into slavery after receiving the ransom.  They're also, outright murdering people, and peddling drugs as well.
 
Oh, actually, that's the other guys doing that.  Yeah, maybe there's a slight lack of perspective on the issue.

#40 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

It seems if you are really hung up on the idea of who has what skin color in the game, you could just get a mod that sets all white characters to brown and vice versa. Then you no longer have that defined classic picture of civilized white boys surviving in a savage land of brown cannibals. You now have a defined classic picture of civilized brown boys surviving in a savage land of white cannibals.

#41 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

They seem like the type of characters you would normally find in a slasher flick, they're stereotypical white kids hunted down by people that are less than them in social status. Perhaps the GB crew just relate to the pirates more and that's why but me personally I had no problem with them.

#42 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@jsnyder82 said:

Seems like a really shitty way for people to live their lives, judging everybody that has more money than them. But eh, more power to them I suppose.

This is America at this point. No one thinks anyone should have the right to be rich.

I'm not rich, but I know a couple people who are well off, and I have to be honest, they're two of the nicest people I've met in my life. Maybe because they're not constantly spending their time shitting on people.

Being rich doesn't make you bad at all, but many people will assume so. As I said this is an American popular phenomenon. Maybe it has always existed but I notice it now a lot for sure, I think more than when I was younger. Rich = evil, apparently.

It's not like I can't understand the "Rich = Evil" attitude to some extent. I mean, just look at some of the shitheads we have to see on television. Bat-shit Donald Trump alone makes me kind of get it. He's loud, obnoxious, constantly spewing right-wing craziness and he's way too into himself. I've just never had that mentality where I had to lump all people of wealth together like that. They are not all shitheads.

#43 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

Why wouldn't you hate these pieces of shit? They've been kidnapping people, holding them for ransom money, then selling them into slavery after receiving the ransom. They're also, outright murdering people, and peddling drugs as well. Oh, actually, that's the other guys doing that. Yeah, maybe there's a slight lack of perspective on the issue.

Also this. Thank you.

#44 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Etnos said:

@Oldirtybearon: The game still paints this very well defined classic picture of the civilized white boys surviving in a savage land of brown cannibals.

Why not making the main character a native of the island? I think that would have open refreshing venues for good writing.

Because that's not the story they wanted to tell. In order to tell the story of a fractured, broken half-society like the one on Rook Island, you need to come in from an outsider perspective. Not only because someone needs to explain all of the mystical voodoo shit, but also to explain why Vaas is such a monster as well as show the vignettes of other disturbed characters. Everyone comes to Rook Island because they're either running from something or because that's the only place where they can be the monsters that they are. Starting the game as one such a monster doesn't give you the context necessary to appreciate just how bizarre and utterly nuts the island actually is.

It also doesn't give you the opportunity for the final quest/mission/whatever to manifest as a battle of morality. To succumb to the savagery and revel in it, or to have your conscience resurface and realize just how far down the rabbit hole you've fallen.

Getting mad over shooting "good brown people" in something like Call of Duty I can understand. That has always been exploitative of the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. But to say that a bunch of batshit crazy islanders somehow makes Far Cry 3 racist is pushing it leagues farther than Stretch Armstrong could reach.

All good points.

The outsider perspective is a common narrative trope for a reason.

Look at Neo in the Matrix or Ariadne in Inception for example.

@jsnyder82 said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@jsnyder82 said:

Seems like a really shitty way for people to live their lives, judging everybody that has more money than them. But eh, more power to them I suppose.

This is America at this point. No one thinks anyone should have the right to be rich.

I'm not rich, but I know a couple people who are well off, and I have to be honest, they're two of the nicest people I've met in my life. Maybe because they're not constantly spending their time shitting on people.

Being rich doesn't make you bad at all, but many people will assume so. As I said this is an American popular phenomenon. Maybe it has always existed but I notice it now a lot for sure, I think more than when I was younger. Rich = evil, apparently.

It's not like I can't understand the "Rich = Evil" attitude to some extent. I mean, just look at some of the shitheads we have to see on television. Bat-shit Donald Trump alone makes me kind of get it. He's loud, obnoxious, constantly spewing right-wing craziness and he's way too into himself. I've just never had that mentality where I had to lump all people of wealth together like that. They are not all shitheads.

Bad people come in all varieties. The rich just make easy targets. We live in a capitalist society is the funny part about it to me.

#45 Edited by Etnos (245 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads: I think Far Cry 2 makes a better job of telling that story, it creates a constant frustration on this "savior" constantly battled by the land and people. I think consciously or not, it created a commentary on modern military interventions, it remained me of Rory Stetward's TED Talk about Afghanistan.

While Far Cry 3 seems to me like a dudebro-centric story crafted in a table of marketing people, looking to appeal to the 20-40 white male demographic.

#46 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2156 posts) -

Far Cry 3 has a horrible story filled with uninteresting/scummy characters. Except for Vaas. He's so good, that the GotY edition of this game should have all the cutscenes replaced with some more scenes of Vaas spouted crazy bullshit at you. Thats it. Maybe a little bit of Sam.

@ArtisanBreads said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@jsnyder82 said:

Seems like a really shitty way for people to live their lives, judging everybody that has more money than them. But eh, more power to them I suppose.

This is America at this point. No one thinks anyone should have the right to be rich.

I'm not rich, but I know a couple people who are well off, and I have to be honest, they're two of the nicest people I've met in my life. Maybe because they're not constantly spending their time shitting on people.

Being rich doesn't make you bad at all, but many people will assume so. As I said this is an American popular phenomenon. Maybe it has always existed but I notice it now a lot for sure, I think more than when I was younger. Rich = evil, apparently.

@Etnos said:

@Oldirtybearon: The game still paints this very well defined classic picture of the civilized white boys surviving in a savage land of brown cannibals.

Why not making the main character a native of the island? I think that would have open refreshing venues for good writing.

That's not what the Far Cry series is about. 2 is a bit different (because it is so militaristic) but is ultimately similar and 1 is in the same vein as 3. The very name "Far Cry" speaks to the stranger in a strange land idea.

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Etnos said:

@ZeroV2 said:

They're rich, sure, and they use that money to go do awesome adventures.

That makes them shitty people?

I don't think it is about the socioeconomic background, I just think they are unlikable characters with bad writing plain and simple.

The game is awesome but the writing is pretty lame. Compare it to Far Cry 2.. you have a super soldier: he was trained to be a killing machine. However, within the context of the game he is constantly faced with frustration, and the realities of war: sickness, bad weapons, betrayal etc... This was a very smart way to create empathy with you character imo.

Far Cry 3 is the lamest of the white power trip fantasies: you have a useless spoiled brat who goes from shitting his pants to a killing machine in literary 2 minutes. He spend the whole game killing brown/black people to save white people, but its not just that... He was also choose by the GOOD BROWN PEOPLE of the island to be their SAVIOR!

It also doesn't help every time he speaks, he sounds like a cheap teen-reality tv douche bag.

You show a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to the plot of Far Cry 3. Spoilers to follow.

Those "good brown people" you mention are not all that good, home boy. There is more than subtle evidence to suggest that Dennis, Citra, and the Rakyat tribe are using Jason Brody to further their own agenda. They don't want peace on the island, they want control back from Hoyt and Vaas. That's the power struggle. The Rakyat were used to controlling the population due to their brutality and their, well, batshit crazy philosophy. Hoyt Valker came to town with his mercenary army and brushed them aside with little effort. Jason stumbles into them and is plied with hallucinogenic narcotics (both ingested and tattooed onto his skin) to make him feel invincible. People who don't believe they can die become fearless. Jason's abilities stem from natural athleticism and a drug-induced DGAF attitude.

The "good brown people" are hardly defenseless. They just don't see the point in attacking Hoyt directly when they have a stoned college grad willing to kill for them. You could argue that Far Cry 3 uses the "white saviour" trope, but it in actuality turns that trope on its head with the narrative they actually present. Why do you think Citra kills you if you choose to kill your friends? They're done with you. Their enemies have been vanquished and they are now free to oppress and control the population once again.

But hey, don't let the truth knock you from your soapbox. Enjoy feeling superior to everyone else.

The irony is killing me.

#47 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

I didn't relate to Niko Bellic, and I still enjoyed playing as him.

#48 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

@Manhattan_Project Why don't you explain the irony?

@Manhattan_Project said:

Far Cry 3 has a horrible story filled with uninteresting/scummy characters. Except for Vaas.

Now this irony is killing me.

@Etnos said:

@ArtisanBreads: I think Far Cry 2 makes a better job of telling that story, it creates a constant frustration on this "savior" constantly battled by the land and people. I think consciously or not, it created a commentary on modern military interventions, it remained me of Rory Stetward's TED Talk about Afghanistan.

While Far Cry 3 seems to me like a dudebro-centric story crafted in a table of marketing people, looking to appeal to 20 to 40 white male demographic.

I personally think you are giving Far Cry 2 way too much credit. Far Cry 3's story is not great or anything, don't get me wrong, and it is certainly not making any meaningful commentary, but I don't need it to. It's a fun game and has some interesting moments in its story.

I also hate the term "dudebro", and here you're proving how dumb it it because if dudebro is supposed to mean CoD, Army of Two, or the like this is not anything like Far Cry 3's story. As others have mentioned it's really most similar to a slasher flick with also the "savior" stranger in a strange land type story as well. I get objections to the latter but it's not "dudebro".

#49 Edited by Encephalon (1262 posts) -

Ubi knew what they were doing when they characterized Jason's friends in the way that they did. It was a calculated decision.

It's perfectly understandable if you feel differently, but please don't act like it's some mystery why the GB dudes, and others, responded very negatively to them.

#50 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads: Hehe Ok, fair point. As disclaimer I gotta say I'm pretty OK with dudes, and somewhat OK with Bros... Its just dudebros that really get to my nerves, but that might be just me being neurotic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.