Why is there a Skrillex song in this game?

• 84 results
#1 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

So I've been playing Farcry 3 for a while now and enjoying it immensely, however there was 1 mission that baffled and disgusted me.

Not to go into specifics but you are tasked to set fire to some fields of grass, and when you start to set fire to it a Skrillex remix starts playing in the background, I honestly could not believe what I was hearing. Why would they do this?

Also Oliver is the worst and if I could have I would have shot him instead of saving him, but that's a rant for another time I suppose.

#2 Posted by weirdo (144 posts) -

If it doesn't "woob woob" the fans won't go "woo hoo!"

#3 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

Oh no! A games used music that doesn't suit my tastes! I better complain on the internet!

#4 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

The kids love him.

#5 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5106 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

Oh no! A games used music that doesn't suit my tastes! I better complain on the internet!

#6 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -

I';M FUDKGFING OIUTRAGEDD -12435/10!!!!!!!!!11

#7 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TobbRobb said:

#8 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

It's like if Bioshock infinite had a Nickelback song in the background just baffling.

Worst part is I like dubstep, Skrillex is just an awful "artist"

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

Why not?

#10 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Dude, spoilers.

#11 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

At this point dubstep in games, shit, dubstep in anything is just fucking embarrassing. Bring on the next shitty music trend already.

#12 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5106 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

@TobbRobb said:

It's like if Bioshock infinite had a Nickelback song in the background just baffling.

Your argument is it doesn't fit?

Also I think Skrillex is allright. Haven't listened to a lot but what I have listened to I like.

#13 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

It fits just fine IMO. I was gleefully burning all the pots and getting stoned (in game) along to the reggaestep. notbad.png

#14 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I actually like Skrillex.

#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

You unsold me on the game. Thanks a lot! (not really, but this is terrible!)

#16 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

@TobbRobb said:

I dunno man, this game looks like it could pull out dubstep at any moment. I don't think that comparison really works. I'll leave the matter of Skrillex skill up for opinion, but I'm not really a fan either.

#17 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Dub step was huge when all these holidays releases were in development. And I guess it still is big as it's influence is in lots of pop music. Even the lobby music in Black Ops has wub wub.

#18 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

How dare they get modern electronic dance music in my incredibly mature first-person murder simulator. I say old boy when I heard it I almost lost my monocle.

#19 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@weirdo said:

If it doesn't "woob woob" the fans won't go "woo hoo!"

#20 Posted by GunstarRed (5025 posts) -

It fits the mission well... until it loops for about five minutes too long.

#21 Posted by Cramsy (1164 posts) -

@murisan said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TobbRobb said:

#22 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

@TobbRobb said:

Not really. The main characters are a bunch of bro-ish club-going rich kids. It totally makes sense that Jason's happy flamethrower spree would be set to Skrillex.

#23 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

Holy fuck dubstep in a game? OUTRAGEOUS. 
While you go back to murdering people and animals. 

#24 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1317 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@Simplexity said:

@TobbRobb said:

Not really. The main characters are a bunch of bro-ish club-going rich kids. It totally makes sense that Jason's happy flamethrower spree would be set to Skrillex.

Yup I thought it fit very well, Jason even is yelling out on almost any explosion that happens during this mission and the missions afterwards... he's a maniac.

#25 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

I don't even like dubstep and I thought that mission was AWESOME.

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7050 posts) -
@Cramsy

@murisan said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TobbRobb said:

#27 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

which song was it?

#28 Posted by zenmastah (876 posts) -

As someone already said, its for the kids. Same happened after the credits rolled in blops 2, completely out of place and off putting.
If it wouldve béen a reggae song instead itwouldve been better, maybe.
Maybe not actually.

#29 Posted by Humanity (8809 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

You do realize that in the same vein you could say "oh no someone is complaining about something in a game on a game discussion forum, I better ridicule them"

#30 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

After a few hours I turned the in-game music off so I might have missed this great moment.

#31 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

@Marz said:

which song was it?

If that doesn't make you want to burn things, nothing will!

#32 Posted by CrazyBagMan (836 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

@TobbRobb said:

How is it anything like that? There's so much weirdly self-aware stuff in this game including the intro, as someone already mentioned.

#33 Posted by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -

As long as it's Bangarang and the game points out Somalian pirates and fuckin nature, it's fine.

#34 Edited by Tennmuerti (8003 posts) -

A reggae dubstep mix was a perfect choice for a high dudebro, who gleefully gets off on explosions and killing people, burrning a bunch of weed of an insane druglord with a flamethrower. It made me simultaneously remember Bad Boys 2 and San Andreas, which can never be a bad thing.

@ShaggE: i think you posted the wrong song, unless you did that on purpose, regardless others will assume that's the actual song playing

#35 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

A reggae dubstep mix was a perfect choice for a high dudebro, who gleefully gets off on explosions and killing people, burrning a bunch of weed of an insane druglord with a flamethrower. It made me simultaneously remember Bad Boys 2 and San Andreas, which can never be a bad thing.

@ShaggE: i think you posted the wrong song, unless you did that on purpose, regardless others will assume that's the actual song playing

kind of thought he was serious lol. I was thinking... interesting choice... i would have used a different song.

#36 Posted by Grillbar (1797 posts) -

he is who made dupstep mainstream. so de general public will recognize him music. who would you rather have instead. zeds dead or bobosaw. wait bobosaw would actually be perfect for that if it had to be dupstep.

or the doors light my fire. or the prodigy - firestarter

but really as fitting as the intro music is to that specific scene i really hated that more.

#37 Edited by Tennmuerti (8003 posts) -

Here's the actual ingame song that plays while you're burning those weed fields (and some dudes along the way) with a flamethrower, for reference:

#38 Posted by Fattony12000 (7049 posts) -
Bo bo bo
#39 Edited by Gruff182 (852 posts) -

I had no idea who the artist was, but in a dude-bro game about a dude-bro trying to save his dude-bros. When it played on the mission where your burning weed and getting massively stoned. It sounded an awful lot like something a dude-bro would listen too.

Thought it was a perfect fit. Now, I hope I never have to listen to it again.

#40 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Totally on purpose, totally hoping at least one person would buy the game just to see for themselves, totally also hoping that they'd get to that part, realize they've been duped, pause the game, and play the Cher remix over the actual audio. Like the developers intended.

#41 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

@Humanity: I do realise, but as you can see, depending on the question I ridicule the amount of people agreeing with me will change and I'll look less like a jackass.

Good thing you are here though! I wouldn't feel whole if no one pointed it out. <3

#42 Posted by Humanity (8809 posts) -

@TobbRobb: No problem! As long as you know that you were being a jackass thats all I care about.

#43 Edited by Itwastuesday (934 posts) -

It's because this game's stupidity increases in proportion to how much fun you're having with it.

And it is extremely stupid.

#44 Posted by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

Why not? Why use any song in a game? I'm only 3 hours in and loving this game

#45 Posted by Synaptic (305 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

It fits the mission well... until it loops for about five minutes too long.

yeah, that was the actual problem. I did lose my shit for a few seconds though, it was pretty perfect at the beginning.

#46 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

Because who cares?

#47 Edited by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@Grillbar said:

he is who made dupstep mainstream. so de general public will recognize him music. who would you rather have instead. zeds dead or bobosaw. wait bobosaw would actually be perfect for that if it had to be dupstep.

or the doors light my fire. or the prodigy - firestarter

but really as fitting as the intro music is to that specific scene i really hated that more.

Man, the dubstep kinda ruins a pretty good song in that video. 
And that Skrillex track is not that bad in my opinion.
#48 Posted by Loafsmooch (307 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

Not to go into specifics but you are tasked to set fire to some fields of grass, and when you start to set fire to it a Skrillex remix starts playing in the background, I honestly could not believe what I was hearing. Why would they do this?

The way you chose to word that sentence makes me think you extremely narrowminded, or trolling. No offence, internet can be a confusing experience. Just like music.

#49 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

I don't know. Why is there is a Skrillex song (as well as Skrillex himself) in the latest Disney movie? Why is there any Skrillex thing anywhere? I'll tell you why. Because God has abandoned us.

#50 Edited by mnzy (2911 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.