Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Why no 3rd person driving?

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
    Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

I understand the immersion idea of the first person genre and the choice that the developer made to use first-person perspective for the actions of the game. I've played plenty of first-person shooters and don't have any trouble with them - but for the life of me, driving in Far Cry 3 is fucking impossible. With the terrain as varied as it is, and the vehicles as fast and loose as they are, why is there no third person option for driving? It is driving (har har) me insane, largely because I LOVE the game itself.

Is there a solution? I am playing on PC, after all.

Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sputty

It is intentional. They made the vehicles slidey and the terrain varied because it is supposed to be easy to lose control. Losing control leads to weird and fun stuff.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

You nailed it in te first sentence. They want to put you in that car driving in that jungle. I fucking love it. It's crazy and leads to terrible/amazing things happening

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By fox01313

The driving was like this in Far Cry2 & once you got used to it, it wasn't bad so guessing that there's not an option on this. At least you don't have to pull out a map like in Far Cry2 in this sequel to find yourself getting mauled by ninja tigers while trying to find out where to go on the map.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Rafaelfc

you haven't lived until you rolled out of a speeding car down a hill and was mauled by a tiger when you reached the bottom

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mtcantor

because its a first person game. None of it is in third person. IMMERSION or something.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

Farcry has never had 3rd person driving. It's a First Person game.  
    The driving is ridiculous in order to increase the amount of insanity that will happen. 

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add. It was worse when they expected you to take it seriously. I remember there being parts in the first farcry where you had to use a vehicle to fight some stuff. It was dumb fun but at times annoying. In this (I haven't played it yet but from what I have seen, and what it was like in 2) it seems like it's meant to help you places faster but not intended for you to be with 1 vehicle for long amounts of time. 

I don't know. I always enjoyed the insanity of driving in Farcry games. It's always been goofy.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

Cars in this game are Instant Chaos Makers. Looking for something to talk about later? Hop in an ATV, point in a random direction, and floor it until you either die or break the vehicle. There's no need for piddly things like "control", and a third person view would just take away from the insanity.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba

It was the same with Crysis and Far Cry 2. I like it, personally.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai

Far Cry games have always had First Person driving. Don't see any reason they need to change that. 

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rainbowkisses

I hate it when games switch between first and third person; it takes you out of the whole experience. I haven't played FarCry 3 yet, but the driving in 2 was fine.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By murisan

I wonder if Far Cry 3 is more moddable than Far Cry 2. I bet not, but it'd be nice.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By leinad44

Can't imagine this game being as immersive if it was 3rd person

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By intro

Fine with me and I always switch the 3rd person when driving in games. It feels alright in Far Cry 3 (first Far Cry I've played) because it just adds to the craziest that's already going on lol.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Sackmanjones said:

I fucking love it. It's crazy and leads to terrible/amazing things happening

Seconded. So ridiculous

...ly awesome.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spoonman671

That's just not what Far Cry is about.  It's bad enough they give you a mini-map instead of an in-game paper map.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By triviaman09

This is one of the many reasons I disliked Far Cry 2 and why I am reluctant to buy Far Cry 3 even though it looks pretty phenomenal.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Death_Burnout

@Spoonman671 said:

That's just not what Far Cry is about. It's bad enough they give you a mini-map instead of an in-game paper map.

Yeah man that really becomes apparent in this, I'm constantly being taken out of the experience by looking at the pause map. But I bet someone would say the 'magical' paper map is either tedious, or complain about not being able to see the road properly...again.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

See, I really do love everything else about the game. And I understand the philosophical reasoning behind maintaining that first person perspective. I just find the first person mode for driving too disorienting - not in a fun, "hey this is nuts, I'mma jump that cliff" way, but in a "this is un-fun" way.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JP_Russell

I always prefer first-person driving in FPS's, provided they give you control of your head with the mouse (which all of them I've played do). Never had trouble with getting disoriented or confused or anything. I don't need to see the outside of my car as long as I can easily look around.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Sooty

@NekuSakuraba said:

It was the same with Crysis and Far Cry 2. I like it, personally.

Crysis has nothing to do with Far Cry 2 & 3, Crytek only made the first one.

and Crysis has third person driving.

@triviaman09 said:

This is one of the many reasons I disliked Far Cry 2 and why I am reluctant to buy Far Cry 3 even though it looks pretty phenomenal.

Far Cry 2 is one of the worst games I've played this generation, 3 is leaps and bounds above that piece of shit.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Because it's a 1st person game, in Far Cry 2 you didn't evem have a map on the HUD, so you had to pull up a physical map that covered your vision while driving, it produced some hillarious results.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Sooty said:

Far Cry 2 is one of the worst games I've played this generation, 3 is leaps and bounds above that piece of shit.

Far Cry 2 was a great game, what was so bad about it to you?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vitor

@mordukai said:

Far Cry games have always had First Person driving. Don't see any reason they need to change that.

But Far Cry 1 also had third person vehicle view modes. Far Cry 2 didn't but still, it seems arbitrary either way.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sooty

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Sooty said:

The shooting, the characters, the premise, the respawns and how repetitive it was, it was also an ugly game even on PC I think.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karkarov

Like others have already said, they did driving the exact same way in far cry 2. Heck some of these vehicles even feel like they were copy pasted from FC2 to begin with. It isn't a surprise they stuck with that method. It can actually lead to some pretty hilarious nonsense too.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Sooty said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Sooty said:

The shooting, the characters, the premise, the respawns and how repetitive it was, it was also an ugly game even on PC I think.

No it was pretty on the PC. what do you have against South Africans? I thought it added alot of cool things, with the malaria, the buddy system of them giving you a extra life in battle, the physical map.

Far Cry 3 has improved the shooting alot and turned it into a proper open world unlike Far Cry 2 and Crysis's big corridors, just wished they left stuff from Far Cry 2 in there for a hardcore mode, like malaria, physical map etc Might just have to do a perma death playthough like I did with Far Cry 2 after reading this http://drgamelove.blogspot.co.nz/2009/06/permanent-death-episode-1-inasupicious.html

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JP_Russell

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Because it's a 1st person game, in Far Cry 2 you didn't evem have a map on the HUD, so you had to pull up a physical map that covered your vision while driving, it produced some hillarious results.

It didn't cover your vision, if I recall; rather, your character held it down toward their lap, so you had to take your eyes off the road. Hmm, or maybe I'm totally remembering wrong.

@Sooty said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Sooty said:

Goodness, no. Maxed out, it was one of the better looking games on the PC. I still think it's one of the better looking games on the PC, really.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@JP_Russell said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

It didn't cover your vision, if I recall; rather, your character held it down toward their lap, so you had to take your eyes off the road. Hmm, or maybe I'm totally remembering wrong.

Still distracting as hell though

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thedj93

DUUUUDE! LIFE ISNT THE SAME until you learn how to drive in first person! fuck seeing the butt of your car sliding around and shit, WHAT ABOUT BEING ABLE TO IMAGINE the wind caressing your cheeks and making your hair float like Fabio?!

FLYING by the SEAT of your PANTS!!!

honestly though, you should try it more often... in my experience it helps me get accustomed to the physics of the game more readily....

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Brewmaster_Andy said:

See, I really do love everything else about the game. And I understand the philosophical reasoning behind maintaining that first person perspective. I just find the first person mode for driving too disorienting - not in a fun, "hey this is nuts, I'mma jump that cliff" way, but in a "this is un-fun" way.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel when I'm forced to drive in first person. I totally understand why they would choose to do it, but it doesn't have the effect on me that they desired. It's more of an "I don't like the way this handles and am not having fun while driving it, so I guess I'm going to avoid driving and then have a worse experience in the game because of it."
    Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@ajamafalous: That's why I would just appreciate the option.

Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Spongetwan

@fox01313 said:

At least you don't have to pull out a map like in Far Cry2 in this sequel to find yourself getting mauled by ninja tigers while trying to find out where to go on the map.

Priceless, lol!

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deathstriker666

The driving in Far Cry 2 was fucking fantastic. Every moment in that game is so fucking intense bro. Being chased by angry militants in a 2 door hatchback with bullets flying everywhere, ricocheting off the ground, off the car; it's FUCKING AWESOME. Some people just can't handle it. The game has some of the most laughable story ever, South African accents are just hilarious. It's a fucking blast.

FC 2 still has some of the best sniping ever. The zooming, the nice blur effect around the scope, the tumbling of the bullet hitting the rock in front of you with the audible crack of the gun soon after; it's perfect. The AI is just so intelligent and adaptable; sometimes they'll send out a few men after you, sometimes they'll bunker down. The Springfield, Mac-10, and RPG-7 got me through most of the game. I'm just afraid FC 3 will disappoint me.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ghost_cat

Aren't you playing as some yuppy college kid stuck on a shitty island? You're not suppose to drive right, just drive nuts.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@Ghost_Cat: Again, that's not the point. You can have crazy, loose driving controls from the third person without breaking immersion. See Renegade Ops

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Deusx

You really didn't play Far Cry 2 right? This is nothing compared to the driving in that game. Don't be so sensitive.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Probably the only first person game that switched perspective where it didn't kind of bother me was the Rainbow Six Vegas series. For story based FPS games I don't like it to switch perspective. Keeping it there adds immersion.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@Deusx: Whether I played Far Cry 2 has nothing to do with how I feel about the driving in Far Cry 3. It has nothing to do with being overly sensitive either - it has to do with a game that I enjoyed being marred in large part by a major aspect being less smooth and more frustrating than the rest of the game. I mean hell, Halo does third person driving for its vehicle sequences. Whether driving in FC2 was worse doesn't matter if the driving in FC3 isn't enjoyable. And again, what would be the problem with adding it as an OPTION?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sanity

I wish you could use the mouse to steer, i have a hell of a time using the keyboard to turn.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@dudy80: You know what, that would probably solve my issues as well.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I love the 1st person driving in FC3, with the cracked windscreen and the sunglare on the shield, I pretty much only use cars to get out of shit storms fast, most the time Im trekking though the jungles.

snarekick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By snarekick

it's really a non-issue if you stick to the roads and don't floor the gas 100% of the time

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.