Why no Steam Achievements?

#1 Posted by PoisonJam7 (357 posts) -

I was going to purchase this game after hearing the GB guys raving about it on the podcast and QL, despite having no interest in it leading up to release. So I boot up Steam to buy it, and I see there are no achievements! What's the deal!? Certainly it isn't because of UPlay? I was looking forward to playing a graphically superior version, but I'd almost rather get the 360 version instead just for the achievements.

#2 Posted by johncallahan (620 posts) -

...... why? I mean I get some people like achievements, but if you're able to play a superior version and don't simply for that reason you done f**ked up.

Also, yeah. It's because of the UPlay.

#3 Posted by Special_K (115 posts) -

Seems to be due to UPLAY... When you launch the game from Steam it loads up a UPLAY launcher before the actual game that tracks your UPLAY achievements.

#4 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

cuz uplay

#5 Posted by face15 (1306 posts) -

It most certainly is because of Uplay. Same deal with Assassins 3.

Kinda a bummer, but I don't know that it should really make you not want to buy a game.

#6 Posted by eskimo (482 posts) -

You prefer achievements over graphics ?!

Sweet Jebus

#7 Posted by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

So that's why so many people commit suicide, their lives have no achievements and they decide it's not worth their time..?

#8 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

Available on Steam - Achievement Unlocked

#9 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I wish we were at a stage where you could just choose what kind of achievements you would like. Really miss the achievement side of games since I got into PC gaming, looking forward to the next xbox so I can have graphics and achievements. Far Cry 3's list looks like the kind of cheevos I really get into like do this crazy thing in the open world. Hoping for a re-release of Far Cry 3 when the next xbox releases.

@mordukai said:

@eskimo said:

Sweet Jebus

He's an Achievement whore. What did you expect really.

EDIT: Just to make it clear. I don't see anything wrong with him wanting achievements but I do think it's rather sad he will base his purchase according to them.

The Wii U not having achievements put me off getting one, weird huh? Would of been sweet S Ranking some Nintendo exclusives.

#10 Posted by PoisonJam7 (357 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I wish we were at a stage where you could just choose what kind of achievements you would like. Really miss the achievement side of games since I got into PC gaming, looking forward to the next xbox so I can have graphics and achievements. Far Cry 3's list looks like the kind of cheevos I really get into like do this crazy thing in the open world. Hoping for a re-release of Far Cry 3 when the next xbox releases.

@mordukai said:

@eskimo said:

Sweet Jebus

He's an Achievement whore. What did you expect really.

EDIT: Just to make it clear. I don't see anything wrong with him wanting achievements but I do think it's rather sad he will base his purchase according to them.

The Wii U not having achievements put me off getting one, weird huh? Would of been sweet S Ranking some Nintendo exclusives.

This.

I'm not a huge achievement whore, but It just feels kind of....empty playing without them. UPlay is no substitution. I'm sure I will end up getting the PC version over the 360, but will do so begrudgingly; so please, fellow bomber, put away your pitchforks and torches.

#11 Posted by benspyda (2051 posts) -
#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Confirmed: I will not be playing Far Cry 3.

#13 Edited by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

@Kraznor said:

Its just still a major issue I have with the franchise. It went from being one of the few to even consider what it means to take life in a video-game environment to yet another reckless kill-spree.

The first game had you fighting super-mutants, and then an updated version let you become "feral." I'm not really sure why you're criticizing this game as a franchise failure, when FC2 is the outlier. Also, I don't know why you turn to video games as your way of understanding war and geopolitical strife.

#14 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@Kraznor said:

Far Cry 2 has achievements. Also a morally responsible design philosophy, you know, if you're into that.

It does? I might have misunderstood your post, but I'm looking at that game right now in my Steam library, and it has zero achievements.

#15 Edited by MB (13138 posts) -

@Kraznor: Please stop derailing threads into this discussion. Keep it in one place, not cool.

@Ravenlight said:

Confirmed: I will not be playing Far Cry 3.

Because it doesn't have achievements? That is one of the most unfortunate things I've read in quite some time...it's the best game I have played this year, screw the achievements.

#16 Posted by Tyashki (214 posts) -

Steam achievements don't actually matter, so this is a moot point.

Steam needs some better achievements.

#17 Posted by TheHT (11802 posts) -

If there's a game I'm only so-so interested in, Steam achievements can sometimes be that little nudge that's all "come on, you'll have fun and unlock these little icons for your Steam account".

#18 Posted by Snail (8662 posts) -

HEY GUYS REMEMBER WHEN THERE WERE NO ACHIEVEMENTS AND WE STILL PLAYED GAMES.

#19 Posted by tellurye (3 posts) -

I think some of you may be a little harsh on "Achievement Hunters" Though some are braggers or do it for points, but here's what it is for me: I like to *know* that I actually did a difficult task. A great example is Max Payne 3 - you have to kill 8 baddies while riding a chain. Well, after that cutscene, the baddies disappear, or new ones come out, so you dont know "OK, did I kill all of them and these guys are new, or is this guy here because I missed one" You really dont know if you got it unless an achievement pops up. Im sure all of us have played a game, shot a guy in the head, but he didnt die because we didnt do it right (cheap!) So, it doesnt decide whether I buy a game or not, but maybe for the platform. Of course, it looks gorgeous on the PC, but that would suck if I did an insanely impossible task and didnt get any credit for it. That's why Im torn. If the achievements are nothing challenging then I dont really care.

#20 Posted by TheHT (11802 posts) -

@Snail said:

HEY GUYS REMEMBER WHEN THERE WERE NO ACHIEVEMENTS AND WE STILL PLAYED GAMES.

I barely remember those wonderous days of old.

#21 Posted by Toxeia (725 posts) -

@tellurye: There are achievements. They're just in the UPlay system. And bonus for UPlay, you can redeem points for actual content... though, the "bonus mission" makes no sense and has no business in the game.

@PoisonJam7 said:

...but It just feels kind of....empty playing without them. UPlay is no substitution. I'm sure I will end up getting the PC version over the 360, but will do so begrudgingly; so please, fellow bomber, put away your pitchforks and torches.

You're everything I hate about achievements. Here, take these.

#22 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

@tellurye: There are achievements. They're just in the UPlay system. And bonus for UPlay, you can redeem points for actual content... though, the "bonus mission" makes no sense and has no business in the game.

@PoisonJam7 said:

...but It just feels kind of....empty playing without them. UPlay is no substitution. I'm sure I will end up getting the PC version over the 360, but will do so begrudgingly; so please, fellow bomber, put away your pitchforks and torches.

You're everything I hate about achievements. Here, take these.

Open World Games are just so much better with achievements and FC3 has all the ones I love from a open world game.

#23 Posted by Andorski (5367 posts) -

I don't see why having the achievements on Uplay makes a difference. Steam doesn't unify game achievements into a metascore like MS and Sony. Each game is separated - the ones for Ubisoft games are just now scene in a different window (and with redeemable items).

#24 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

It is a bummer that the achievements are tied to UPlay especially since I bought the game on Steam but then I remember I don't play games for achievements so it stops bugging me.

#25 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

lame post

#26 Posted by jaferris (8 posts) -

i'm a steam achievement whore so gutted this and assassin's creed 3 dont have steam achievements , any way to break this need lol

#27 Posted by Porkellain (253 posts) -

@TheHT said:

If there's a game I'm only so-so interested in, Steam achievements can sometimes be that little nudge that's all "come on, you'll have fun and unlock these little icons for your Steam account".

This.

#28 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

UPlay is ass, but at least Ubi still sells their games on Steam, unlike EA and Origin.

Actually, EA only limits their good games to Origin. The ones they aren't too sure about they allow to be sold on Steam (ig: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning) which is a hilarious and public way to gauge EA's internal confidence in a title.

#29 Posted by iceveiled (32 posts) -

At least with Uplay you can expend points earned from achievements on actual in-game addons and other stuff. Steam, Sony and Microsoft achievements/trophies are literally just for keeping score and bragging rights.

#30 Posted by me3639 (1853 posts) -

Like Jeff and the crew discussed achievements are the new leader boards of old.

#31 Edited by dextrome (1 posts) -

And that's why I haven't bought a Ubisoft game in years.... fuck those assholes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.