Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 4

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Far Cry 4 puts the player in the role of Ajay Ghale and pits him against a deadly antagonist and an even deadlier environment. Caught in the middle of a brutal Civil War while fulfilling his mother's dying wish, Ghale must fight back against the oppression of Kyrat's leader, Pagan Min, while also battling the ruthlessness of the jungle.

Controller or M&K for FPS

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So today listening to Alex and Patrick I noticed that Patrick was having trouble playing Far Cry 4 with a controller. Someone on Steam suggested playing with M&K and Patrick was like "Nope".

So that got me thinking, do you duders prefer playing first person shooters with a controller or the mouse and keyboard?

As a primarily PC gamer, I prefer M&K, but games like Halo and Destiny don't really give us a choice (as console exclusives).

So what is you preference?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By amafi

I'll skip playing first person shooters on console because a controller for shooters is objectively an inferior input method for them. It'd be like playing super mario world with my HOTAS or some shit.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I think playing first person shooters with a console controller is insane.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah I dunno I think controllers are pretty inefficient as it is, but I'd rather just not play an FPS than use a controller tbh. They're just so horribly inaccurate and slow, no thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I won't use a controller is when I'm playing competitive multiplayer. For singleplayer or co-op, I'm plugging in my Xbox One controller and playing on my TV unless I'm forced to do otherwise.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You play FPS with a mouse, and a keyboard.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar: didn't know it was a law.

Btw the preferred nomenclature is MKB

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Well, not a law as such. More like a general guideline.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hodor

Competitive multiplayer mouse and keyboard otherwise my DS4 because single player shooters aren't hard anymore. It is always fun though when having a controller on PC to activate auto aim and then use a mouse and keyboard in multiplayer with said auto aim.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Controller when the game has ADS. It just feels better to left trigger right trigger than right click left click.

Avatar image for usernameisinuse
    usernameisinuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always play FPS games with M+KB as I just find aiming and movement to be much more accurate and comfortable like that. I actually can't play almost any shooters on consoles since I'm really bad at using controllers in FPS games. Though then again I am one of those weirdos who play essentially all games, even games like Assassin's Creed, with M+KB setup so I seem to belong in a small minority group when it comes to game input system preferences.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I always play FPS games with M+KB as I just find aiming and movement to be much more accurate and comfortable like that. I actually can't play almost any shooters on consoles since I'm really bad at using controllers in FPS games. Though then again I am one of those weirdos who play essentially all games, even games like Assassin's Creed, with M+KB setup so I seem to belong in a small minority group when it comes to game input system preferences.

I'm with you dude, the only time I use my controller is if a game really doesn't work on mkb, aka racing games (I'd have a wheel if I had room).

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13 fisk0  Moderator

Depends a bit on the game, but I don't have any problems playing with controllers in general (people tend to forget that gravis gamepad was around before the mouse became a standard input device on PC's). Far Cry is one where I can see some issues if you try to play online (if it even has competitive multiplayer like the previous games did), since the problems with gamepads is that they can't adapt for the differences between close quarters and long range combat (in one you want low sensitivity in order to track a distant target with some precision, in the other you want high sensitivity in order to quickly turn after close targets, whereas pin-point precision is largely useless at those ranges). As stuff like Far Cry, Battlefield and Unreal Tournament generally deal with both ranged and close quarters combat, it's hard to find a useful middle ground setting for gamepads there, but in something like Titanfall or Call of Duty, which are entirely based on close combat (or if you always stick with one specific role in Battlefield), there's basically no disadvantage in using a gamepad.

Avatar image for usernameisinuse
    usernameisinuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@usernameisinuse said:

I'm with you dude, the only time I use my controller is if a game really doesn't work on mkb, aka racing games (I'd have a wheel if I had room).

True, racing games and some platformers aren't really mkb friendly.

I also think that my FPS input preference might also be due to the types of FPS games that I play more, which increasingly tend to be the faster paced arena shooter kinds of games. I have no idea how anyone can play those games with controller and it's actually quite impressive if anyone can be effective in them without mkb setup. Recently multiplayer fps games seem to be heading (slightly) towards the increased verticality and mobility compared to the 'modern military shooters' which is development that I really like, but it could make using controller even more difficult than before.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I play FPS with a controller even on the PC unless I want to be competitive (multiplayer or the game is on harder difficulties). I play as much as I can with a controller, I get tired faster and I'm not as comfortable playing with MKB, it's that simple.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mouse and keyboard all the time. I don't mind controllers in the slightest I just love the feeling of a mouse and keyboard.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

M+KB all day. The last shooter I played with a controller before Destiny was Halo 3, and even that was a slog. I've gotten pretty good at it with Destiny, but there are still plenty of frustrating moments in PVP where I die simply because the controller won't let me aim at a dude fast enough. Still holding out hope that Destiny comes to PC, but not really looking forward to restarting. Maybe Destiny 2.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Controller for Single-player, KB+M for Multi-player (except on consoles obviously).

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends really. If it's multiplayer then always mouse and keyboard, it's just more efficient.

For single-player, it's about comfort. Mouse and keyboard for traditional shooters, but I do like controllers for the aim down the sights shooters (though I don't play many of them).

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M&KB for almost anything. I believe a great many games that play better with a controller would play even better if they were designed just for a M&KB.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By TPoppaPuff

I like console shooters more typically speaking. On consoles, from the hardware to the controller everyone is on equal footing. PC gaming has always been prone to a pay-to-win shenanigans. While the only advantages a console player might have lag and cheating, PC is more prone to mouse discrepancies and spec discrepancies, as well as lag and hacks. Plus there's something perversely gratifying about mastering a hard-to-master device whereas KB+M is just simple point and click. Obviously if I'm playing a KB+M game I will use KB+M because it is objectively easier, but it's honestly not as satisfying and I rarely stick with any PC FPSes anymore. The last one I got into was TF2.

I also don't care that much for hunching over my computer to play games which is why I play single player PC shooters with a 360 controller or lean back in my chair when surfing the web.

With all that said, the greatest multiplayer game of all time is Counterstrike 1.4-1.6.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I only use a mouse and keyboard for competitive shooters. If it's a single player shooter like this one, I'd rather use the controller because it's more ergonomic and I can play on my couch.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mouse and keyboard is the technical superior as far as accuracy and speed. If someone perfers the controller that's fine though, I hate controller FPS

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

For a single player shooter like Far Cry 3 and 4? I'll kinda just use whatever I feel like. Some days I prefer the satisfying feel of accurate kbm controls, other days I just want to sit back and relax and I don't care if I miss a few shots.

You should never play Counter Strike GO with a controller, though. Why is that feature even there?

I'm generally not uncomfortable with either input method and I feel a little sorry for people that can't just switch between them whenever.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After using a controller in Battlefield and Titanfall and doing just fine I'll probably use it until I really have to use a MKB.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I actually do a lot better with a controller vs other people with controllers. On the other end of the spectrum, I do a lot worse fighting with a KB&M vs others with KB&M. I'm just not very good using a KB&M for shooters. For example, playing Titanfall on Xbone is a lot different than playing it on the PC, for me. I generally get outgunned on the regular when playing the PC version, while the opposite happens on Xbone.

Also, I find playing with a controller vastly more comfortable than playing with the KB&M. As such, I tend to just play everything with a controller (Xbone controller/DS4, both feel great).

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

For a shooter, I enjoy using a controller. Just something satisfying about having the vibration on a controller when you're firing a gun. You can probably get mice that have force feedback, but I'm not a crazy person.

Though when I'm playing a first-person RPG, like Skyrim, I like using the mouse. Much easier to pick up all the loot you find.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using a controller for any first person game just seems absurd to me. It just feels infuriating if your movement and accuracy are handicapped and you can't aim where you want immediately. Like imagine every time you wanted to move a limb there is a half second delay and when your limb finally moves it doesn't go exactly where you wanted it to go to.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bybeach

K+M. I tried the controller, and it felt slow. Continued to use a controller for driving till I realized what I was doing wrong. If this was Dead Souls 2, my tune would be polar opposite.

And for out of context, I cannot believe this game doesn't let you dim the music down to off, as opposed to turning it off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.