Steam Weekend Deal: 75% off on everything Far Cry.

#1 Edited by Mikemcn (6936 posts) -

Its not a weekend deal! Oh Dear... my title is ruined!

Steam has another great sale with both Far Cry games being 75% off.

I have to say i'm interested, but I really don't know if either of these games are any good, I heard incredibly mixed things about 2 (Some say its amazing, Others say its absolutely godawful.), and i'm not sure how the original Far Cry holds up today. Anyone going to buy?

#2 Posted by RE_Player1 (7544 posts) -

Not sure about the original, heard good things, but I played the second one on PS3 and thought it was terrible.

#3 Posted by Giantstalker (1512 posts) -

In before the massive amounts of Far Cry 2 hate pour in.

By the way, I thought that game was fine.

#4 Edited by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

I hated the first one. The second one is okay. I rather not go on a massive rant why. 

Point is however, is that at those prices, they're worth getting for. My advice? Just get FC2. Ignore the first one.

#5 Edited by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

I don't know that I would call a Midweek Madness sale between Tuesday and Thursday a weekend deal, but whatever floats your boat, man.  :P

Far Cry is still a fantastic game today, and Far Cry 2 is certainly worth checking out, at the very least.  I recommend getting both at those prices.

#6 Edited by countinhallways (632 posts) -

The original is an incredible game. The graphics still hold up today, and on even a moderate machine it runs incredibly well. Gorgeous vistas, huge draw-distance, seriously the game still looks good. And there are a number of mods out there which improve upon the game also. For 2.50 dollars/euros/whatever it is well worth it. 

The second one... has its moments, but to be honest I always find myself getting frustrated with the game pretty quickly and have never bothered to finish it for that reason. But again, looks great. If you have a good PC it may be worth picking up just to play it on max settings. Can be a very atmospheric game at times. Plus, the actual shooting mechanic is really solid. And all the buddy stuff. In fact fuck it, for a fiver it is a damn good deal. 

I find it very hard to resist sales on Steam when the prices are so damn low... hard to find all that many bad points about a game in the circumstances.

#7 Posted by Mikemcn (6936 posts) -

@JP_Russell said:

I don't know that I would call a Midweek Madness sale between Tuesday and Thursday a weekend deal, but whatever floats your boat, man. :P

Far Cry is still a fantastic game today, and Far Cry 2 is certainly worth checking out, at the very least. I recommend getting both at those prices.

Oh god, your right, my bad! I just really wish it was the weekend.

#8 Posted by Surkov (991 posts) -

I recently started playing through Far Cry 2 on PC and I like much of what the game is trying to do. If everyone always trying to kill you and malaria weren't part of the game, it would be a much better game. The combat sequences are great, but I don't have to one every 30 seconds.  

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11637 posts) -

I guess this is the thread where I suggest that people at least pick up FC2 if they're interested. 

I was someone that initially heard bad things, but decided to give it a shot anyway. Ultimately I thought it was a mostly positive experience; the respawning guard posts and driving didn't bother me - in fact, I liked the driving (and walking and swimming and boating and hang-gliding) around Africa. If I had to point to one bad thing about the game, I would actually say it would be the ending - and I doubt most people will even get to the ending anyway :o

#10 Posted by SamFo (1513 posts) -

$2.50 for the first is good value for the first! $5 for the second is about right.

#11 Posted by UnrealDP (1220 posts) -

I really love both games, but i can tell alot of what i like about those games most people hate, so buy at your own risk!

#12 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

Bought Far Cry 2 years ago and still haven't played it.

but then again that could be said about most my steam purchases...

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

#13 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Far Cry 2 could've been great without those fucking guard posts and that stupid malaria shit.

#14 Posted by Vextroid (1354 posts) -

Already own Far Cry 2 PC, but my Far Cry 1 disc is un-readable and have been meaning to buy another copy, so for 2.50 im in.

#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Just picked up Far Cry 1 ^^   fuck FC2.  

@benjaebe said:

Far Cry 2 could've been great without those fucking guard posts and that stupid malaria shit.
You're driving alone in the desert. A dude who's late for a meeting is driving towards you, going in the opposite direction. He pulls over, grabs his AK and shoots your jeep full of lead. I fucking love Far Cry 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.