Tecmo working on Wii remake of Fatal Frame II?

#1 Posted by Hailinel (23873 posts) -

With all of the 3DS press at Nintendo's press conference, there was some Wii news that flew under the radar.  One bit of information is that Tecmo is working on another Wii-exclusive Fatal Frame title.  Judging from early screens, it looks like a remake of Fatal Frame II:  Crimson Butterfly.

Fatal Frame IV, co-developed by Grasshopper Manufacture and published by Nintendo in Japan, was the subject of a lot of disappointment despite all of its promise.  The game was never released internationally in any official capacity, and blame seems to shift between Nintendo and Tecmo.  Nintendo, as the original publisher, of course had first crack at releasing it in the U.S. and chose not to do so.  However, from what I understand, this decision stems at least in part from bugs in the original release that Tecmo didn't want to make any effort to fix.

This new Fatal Frame was just announced, and remake or not, I'd like to see it get an international release.  Though at this point, who know s if that's going to happen.

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Suda 51 isn't making it don't care. FF4 was the best one and Suda 51 fixed the series...if it isn't Grasshopper, don't care.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (23873 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Suda 51 isn't making it don't care. FF4 was the best one and Suda 51 fixed the series...if it isn't Grasshopper, don't care. "
Fatal Frame II is actually one of the best games in the series, and back when I played it, one of the scariest.  Seriously, the Fatal Frame titles scare me like no other survival horror game to date.
#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

My ears went all up and shit. Please let this thought continue. I will not hold my breath. I need to breathe.

#5 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Fatal Frame 2 is definitely the scariest FF.

But honestly I'd be happier if they brought over FF4, not that I have the heart to play it or anything.... Had to watch all of it on Youtube.

I love scares but I lose control over anything and panic too much.

#6 Edited by kyokushin_nanaya (40 posts) -

@Hailinel:

Man, this thread is old.

But you were right. Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 is confirmed. http://andriasang.com/con0iy/fatal_frame_2_site/

I would instantly get this if it was localised and can I only hope that they will since the main translations are done. Integrating them though would be entirely different. However, given Nintendo and the fact that the other Fatal Frame games were not released overseas, my hopes are mired with expected disappointment.

I personally don't get it. Fatal Frame 4 (or was it 3?) advertised itself by installing cameras in demo booths, filming player reactions to the game. This worked brilliantly with Amnesia and help spearhead its popularity online. Is it just an Nintendo of America thing? I've heard countlessly that they don't want to release games like those given that they have an 'image' to project. One recent example was the "Binding of Isaac" on the Nintendo store. Could it be that they don't want to release a game at the end of the Wii's lifecycle and expect mediocre sales?

It's a sad state at the moment to release this game especially when it was internationally acclaimed. It would seem such a waste just to have it in the Japanese market. Here's hoping that it gets released.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (23873 posts) -

@kyokushin_nanaya said:

@Hailinel:

Man, this thread is old.

But you were right. Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 is confirmed. http://andriasang.com/con0iy/fatal_frame_2_site/

I would instantly get this if it was localised and can I only hope that they will since the main translations are done. Integrating them though would be entirely different. However, given Nintendo and the fact that the other Fatal Frame games were not released overseas, my hopes are mired with expected disappointment.

I personally don't get it. Fatal Frame 4 (or was it 3?) advertised itself by installing cameras in demo booths, filming player reactions to the game. This worked brilliantly with Amnesia and help spearhead its popularity online. Is it just an Nintendo of America thing? I've heard countlessly that they don't want to release games like those given that they have an 'image' to project. One recent example was the "Binding of Isaac" on the Nintendo store. Could it be that they don't want to release a game at the end of the Wii's lifecycle and expect mediocre sales?

It's a sad state at the moment to release this game especially when it was internationally acclaimed. It would seem such a waste just to have it in the Japanese market. Here's hoping that it gets released.

The only other Fatal Frame game produced under Nintendo's watch not localized for North America was Fatal Frame IV. However, Spirit Camera, a Fatal Frame spin-off, is being released by Nintendo in North America in less than a month.

#8 Posted by hifi (17 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.