Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fatal Frame

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 13, 2001

Although not actually based on a true story, as the misleading packaging claims, Fatal Frame is still a beloved horror game in which a camera is the player's only weapon against malevolent spirits.

Just beat Fatal Frame

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

I just got through the first Fatal Frame title not 10 minutes ago and I gotta say that it was an overall pretty great experience. If anyone is looking for a good horror game to play and you have the means, this is a must own. The graphics actually hold up alright. If I have any major complaints about the game, it would have to be about the (surprise!) combat. It's an interesting idea and sometimes it actually does work. That is, until you start getting enemies that move faster than your character can turn. This is especially frustrating when enemies decide to start disappearing and reappearing directly behind you in mid-attack animation, so it's damn near impossible to get away. The other big complaint is the amount of back-tracking in the game....I mean, holy shit there's a TON of it. I understand it in the context of the game taking place in one large Mansion( a la Resident Evil 1), but it does get pretty tedious after awhile.

The one thing the game does nail is the atmosphere, which is the most important part of any horror experience. From the creepy sounds of ghosts of in the distance to hearing the ritual chanting getting louder and louder as you approach a room, the game just impedes on your psyche. Also, for being a T rated game it can actually be pretty brutal. I mean, the whole game is based on a Strangling Ritual with a young girl. And, for all the problems I mentioned with the combat, it still can be fun to battle the ghosts with the Camera. I have to give the developers credit for trying something new and having some flashes of success with it.

So all in all I'd definitely say this game is good and worthy of any horror fans' time. It's not without its flaws, but at least it tries to do some new and interesting things with the genre(new for the time at least) and for that, I commend you Fatal Frame.

Anyone else played the game? If so, what'd you think of it?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By gaminghooligan

man. I envy you so much if I could just erase my memory and go in again... It's still one of my favorite horror games of all time, also the sequel is pretty good too. I actually got a ps2 on the cheap for it and the sequel, the silent hills, and metal gear.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

Yea, I always heard the sequel was a bit better, but only got to play the first hour or so when it first came out.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

Awesome! Never got to play the first. Was too big of a wuss when it first came out (and many years after). Though I did play Fatal Frame 2 a couple years ago to completion, and yes, it is an AWESOME horror experience. With that said, go find and play Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly now. I wish we could get one on this gen of consoles *sigh* maybe next gen... I really would love to play one with the Move. Maybe the WiiU will get one... then I'd have to buy a WiiU.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @ESREVER Nintendo co-owns the Fatal Frame IP now. Chances of a Move enabled Fatal Frame are slim to none.
    fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

@Hailinel: What? Why does Nintendo own that IP? Did they release one on the Wii ever?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By ESREVER

@Hailinel said:

@ESREVER Nintendo co-owns the Fatal Frame IP now. Chances of a Move enabled Fatal Frame are slim to none.

*sadface* Well... here's to a WiiU one... /cry

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @fuzzypumpkin

@Hailinel: What? Why does Nintendo own that IP? Did they release one on the Wii ever?

Fatal Frame IV was coproduced by Nintendo and published by Nintendo in Japan. It never received an international release because it apparently had technical issues NOA wanted fixed and Tecmo refused. Spirit Camera, a 3DS game, is a Nintendo-published spin-off focused on AR camera play. Nintendo also published a Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 in Japan and Europe.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been slowly playing through Fatal Frame 2. I have 1 and 3 but haven't touched them.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

@Brodehouse: Give them to me......NOW

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ShaggE

I've got to play the rest of the series some day. 2 was amazing... like, almost golden age Silent Hill amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.