Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F.E.A.R. 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 21, 2011

Developed by Day 1 Studios, F.3.A.R. (pronounced "Fear Three") is the final chapter in the F.E.A.R. franchise and continues the twisted story of Alma Wade and her two sons, Paxton Fettel and the Point Man.

F.3.A.R. of change.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By kreeztoff

I enjoyed FEAR 3. I enjoyed FEAR 3 A LOT.

Playing through the game cooperatively was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in video games in a very, very long time, and easily the most fun I've had with a coop game. With one player filling the role of the typical "gun dude"(Point Man) and the other as a crazy ghost man (Paxton Fettel) capable of suspending and possessing enemies, it really opens the door for some truly cooperative tactics, such as having Point Man run out to combat an enemy mech suit with a rocket launcher while Fettel creates a shield around him from behind cover.

There's also a slew of fun multiplayer modes, including a wave based survival type, and another calling F**king Run (actually censored in game) in which players must make a mad dash for the exit, but are barred from progress by hordes of enemies and are being pursued by a relentless wall of death. Between the "divergent coop" and the entertaining multiplayer modes, I found FEAR 3 to be hard to put down.

All that being said, fans expecting a core FEAR game are bound to be disappointed. It doesn't exactly have any scares to speak of, and the focus is definitely on two players working together to tear the badguys a new one. It's more of an action game, for sure, but I don't think it's such a bad thing. The action seldom loses its stride and the rate at which the game introduces you to new weapons, enemies, abilities, and gameplay mechanics makes it hard to miss slowly trudging through a dark corridor while ghosts go "boo!". It may be kind of a lame comparison, but I tend to think of FEAR 3 as the Resident Evil 5 of the FEAR series; more focus on action and coop, which definitely makes for a more enjoyable video game, but loses most of the heart and atmosphere established in prior entries.

I did really enjoy the previous FEAR games for their story and atmosphere, and while FEAR 3 may not be the direction fans want to see the game artistically or thematically go in, I do think it makes for an incredibly entertaining diversion that's fun for everyone.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kreeztoff

I enjoyed FEAR 3. I enjoyed FEAR 3 A LOT.

Playing through the game cooperatively was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in video games in a very, very long time, and easily the most fun I've had with a coop game. With one player filling the role of the typical "gun dude"(Point Man) and the other as a crazy ghost man (Paxton Fettel) capable of suspending and possessing enemies, it really opens the door for some truly cooperative tactics, such as having Point Man run out to combat an enemy mech suit with a rocket launcher while Fettel creates a shield around him from behind cover.

There's also a slew of fun multiplayer modes, including a wave based survival type, and another calling F**king Run (actually censored in game) in which players must make a mad dash for the exit, but are barred from progress by hordes of enemies and are being pursued by a relentless wall of death. Between the "divergent coop" and the entertaining multiplayer modes, I found FEAR 3 to be hard to put down.

All that being said, fans expecting a core FEAR game are bound to be disappointed. It doesn't exactly have any scares to speak of, and the focus is definitely on two players working together to tear the badguys a new one. It's more of an action game, for sure, but I don't think it's such a bad thing. The action seldom loses its stride and the rate at which the game introduces you to new weapons, enemies, abilities, and gameplay mechanics makes it hard to miss slowly trudging through a dark corridor while ghosts go "boo!". It may be kind of a lame comparison, but I tend to think of FEAR 3 as the Resident Evil 5 of the FEAR series; more focus on action and coop, which definitely makes for a more enjoyable video game, but loses most of the heart and atmosphere established in prior entries.

I did really enjoy the previous FEAR games for their story and atmosphere, and while FEAR 3 may not be the direction fans want to see the game artistically or thematically go in, I do think it makes for an incredibly entertaining diversion that's fun for everyone.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By falserelic

I had fun with Fear 3 too.It may not be the Fear 3 that people was hoping for.But its still a solid shooter..

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By JTB123

I haven't played coop yet but I agree with the rest. I'm really enjoying my time with it, the gunplay is some of the smoothest I've seen and it's just a very well made shooter.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

I thought it was really good.  To be honest, not a single FEAR game has ever scared me so the fact that this game didn't scare me didn't bother me.  I thought it was fun, the shooting was tight and many times they were intense and it doesn't out-stay its welcome.  It's not great but it is a fun FPS with a fairly unique atmosphere.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MiniPato

It's not inherently wrong to hate change. This is an established franchise with a reputation. If you want to gut it and make a completely different game with a completely different studio with a shittier story and slap the FEAR name on it, people are gonna get pissed. The formula in FEAR games hasn't exactly gotten stale.

I will admit that playing this game with my cousin is a lot of fun. More fun than I've had in past FEAR games. But then again, playing with someone else is always more fun than playing by yourself, granted if that person isn't a dick and you two are communicating. But I think comparing FEAR 3 to past FEAR games isn't fair. You play the single player for the atmosphere and spooks. You play co-op for fun. I've only played FEAR 3 in co-op, but playing it has made it hard for me to even think about playing it again by myself considering how many enemy spawner encounters there are and bullet sponge enemies there are. It's also no where near as atmospheric as past games. Level design is also confusing, the ballistic particle effects are absent with the sparks flying around as bullets richochet or shockwaves emanating from grenades, and the narrative is really poor. Constant enemy gauntlets with zero down time is not fun by yourself.

I'm not a big FEAR story guy, but I've played FEAR 1 and 2 and keep up and I have to say FEAR 3 totally squandered any potential the story had with the set up of the past game. They also made the most iconic and menacing character, Alma, virtually absent in this game and made her seem like a chump at the end. I don't care how many big hollywood horror writers you have on board, Monolith did and could have done a better job.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

The best thing about FEAR 3 is these videos:

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaggE

It's a good game, it's just not a FEAR game.  

I like it just fine, though. My only complaint is the length.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By l4wd0g

From what I understand, F3ar is light on the scares ( as seen as previous Fear games), where F3ar offers for more thrills.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@l4wd0g said:

From what I understand, F3ar is light on the scares ( as seen as previous Fear games), where F3ar offers for more thrills.

That's what reviews say, but really, it's just PR bullshit. FEAR and FEAR 2 both had thrills and scares in equal measure whereas FEAR 3 is just co-op MW2 with a FEAR cosmetic tint. Neither thrilling, nor scaring, just generic shooter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.