F.E.A.R. 3 Adds Co-Op, Playable Paxton Fettel

Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -
Warner Bros. Interactive and Day 1 Studios have released a trailer for F.E.A.R. 3, and, in doing so, have revealed two of the biggest departures from previous games in the franchise. Paxton Fettel, the psychic commander that controls the clone soldiers of the Armacham Corporation, and one of your antagonists in FEAR and FEAR 2, will be a playable character in the sequel. And I'm not talking about, "You get to play as the bad guys!" playable character. I'm talking, "You're teaming up with the good guys!" playable character. 

Paxton Fettel wants your flesh!...but he's still a good guy somehow! 
The trailer shows Fettel working with the Point Man, the protagonist of FEAR 1 and the main character of this sequel, to take out Armacham's army of clones. You also get a good demonstration of Fettel's psychic powers in action, from possessing clone soldiers to turn them against each other, to immobilizing soldiers in the air so the Point Man can take them out. These are features of what Day 1 is calling the game's "divergent co-op," arming the Point Man and Fettel with different abilities and tactics to use against the weapons of Armacham Corp. It's Geist meets Gears, and it has me interested in what Day 1 wants to bring to the FEAR franchise.

But don't take my word for it; Here's that trailer I've been talking about.

If F.E.A.R. 3 features the same crazy, intense firefights as the previous games in the series, and those fights are tailored around this Co-Op mechanic, that could be a really cool gameplay experience, with players using their mix of different powers and skills to take enemies down. Of course, let's do our due diligence; Day 1 Studios is at the helm of this game, not original developer Monolith, and Day 1's previous work with the FEAR franchise has been...well, sloppy ports of bad F.E.A.R. expansions. Still, count me cautiously optimistic; I'm interested in seeing where Day 1 is going with FEAR 3. 

Are you looking forward to Co-Op play in the next FEAR, Bombers? And what would you like to see Paxton Fettel possess to savagely murder clone soldiers? I'm thinking dog food.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -
Warner Bros. Interactive and Day 1 Studios have released a trailer for F.E.A.R. 3, and, in doing so, have revealed two of the biggest departures from previous games in the franchise. Paxton Fettel, the psychic commander that controls the clone soldiers of the Armacham Corporation, and one of your antagonists in FEAR and FEAR 2, will be a playable character in the sequel. And I'm not talking about, "You get to play as the bad guys!" playable character. I'm talking, "You're teaming up with the good guys!" playable character. 

Paxton Fettel wants your flesh!...but he's still a good guy somehow! 
The trailer shows Fettel working with the Point Man, the protagonist of FEAR 1 and the main character of this sequel, to take out Armacham's army of clones. You also get a good demonstration of Fettel's psychic powers in action, from possessing clone soldiers to turn them against each other, to immobilizing soldiers in the air so the Point Man can take them out. These are features of what Day 1 is calling the game's "divergent co-op," arming the Point Man and Fettel with different abilities and tactics to use against the weapons of Armacham Corp. It's Geist meets Gears, and it has me interested in what Day 1 wants to bring to the FEAR franchise.

But don't take my word for it; Here's that trailer I've been talking about.

If F.E.A.R. 3 features the same crazy, intense firefights as the previous games in the series, and those fights are tailored around this Co-Op mechanic, that could be a really cool gameplay experience, with players using their mix of different powers and skills to take enemies down. Of course, let's do our due diligence; Day 1 Studios is at the helm of this game, not original developer Monolith, and Day 1's previous work with the FEAR franchise has been...well, sloppy ports of bad F.E.A.R. expansions. Still, count me cautiously optimistic; I'm interested in seeing where Day 1 is going with FEAR 3. 

Are you looking forward to Co-Op play in the next FEAR, Bombers? And what would you like to see Paxton Fettel possess to savagely murder clone soldiers? I'm thinking dog food.
#2 Edited by Venatio (4482 posts) -

Man, all I can think about when I see this game is the title, F.3.A.R, sounds so stupid

#3 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

fuuuuuck

#4 Edited by DaManGB (377 posts) -

Playing as Paxton will be awesome can't wait for this game :)

#5 Posted by darkjester74 (1572 posts) -

Never been a fan of the FEAR series, but if you setup some really compelling co-op mechanics where combining your abilities actually matter, then you have my attention.

#6 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm guessing I should buy FEAR 1 since I have no clue who Paxton Fettel or the Point Man are.  Edit:  Trailer makes the game look pretty fun though.

#7 Posted by Jazz (2192 posts) -

hell yes

#8 Posted by hpv (177 posts) -

If he's my wingman where is Jesus going to sit?

#9 Posted by AngelicRampage (110 posts) -

dont forget that day 1 also ported the original F.E.A.R. not just F.E.A.R. Files
which i didnt think was a bad port

#10 Posted by fox01313 (5064 posts) -

Wonder if they'll explain the switch for Paxton or if he just joins up. Imagine that it's not something like the team fighting the clones sits down with Paxton & tells him he has to help or they won't send him a birthday cake. Honestly if he's that much of a aweome character & not doing things on his own terms (opposed to working for someone else) he'd seem rather tough to convince into doing something.

#11 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

Is Paxton the interrogator who would eat people in Fear 1, I remember reading about that in CGW.

#12 Posted by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -

Hasn't this been known for weeks? What is with the unannounced shift in GB's news coverage?

#13 Posted by Atom (195 posts) -

Looks like PsyOps meets Messiah. Might be interesting...

#14 Posted by dillinger (178 posts) -
@Yzzerdd said:
" Hasn't this been known for weeks? What is with the unannounced shift in GB's news coverage? "
While this has been known for weeks already (and posted on GB already actually), Jeff DID post a few days ago that there would be some new faces doing news coverage for GB.  Still no excuse for a double post though.
#15 Posted by Colonel_Fury (453 posts) -

I'll probably play this game.

#16 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -

Perseus Mandate was not a bad expansion...bitch. It was just more of the same awesome FEAR gameplay.

#17 Posted by Superfriend (1535 posts) -

I want to make Paxton talk with the press of a button. That alone would be worth the price of admission for me!

#18 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

Hell yea for co-op.

#19 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2214 posts) -

I was under the assumption Point Man died at the end of Extraction Point, guess I'm wrong. I'm curious how playing as Fettel will fit into the story, he's meant to be evil so why is he good now? Questions that better have answers by the end of F.3.A.R.
#20 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

awsome idea including co-op but i dont think that'll work for the creepy horror aspect ofc the game which i love. F.E.A.R 1 scared the shit outta me. I also wonder if becket makes an appearance

#21 Posted by sjolle (165 posts) -

gawd i can't wait for this to hit steam =D

#22 Posted by Lazyaza (2169 posts) -

I have low expectations for this game but who knows maybe it'll be awesome.
Fear 2 was pretty disappointing but I did really enjoy the first of the fear expansion packs.  Eh its a wait n see.

#23 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Hmm... I really thought this was announced way back when the first trailer came out. At least that's precisely what I could glean from it. Seems pretty obvious.

#24 Posted by GullumF (87 posts) -

why add co-op to a sigle player focused game with the first an second one.

#25 Posted by SiriusB (17 posts) -

Neat. I've never played F.E.A.R before, but since there's co-op I think I'm gonna buy it.

#26 Edited by Ghost_of_Perdition (735 posts) -

Interested only if I'm able to eat people's faces as Fettel. If not, then no. Pass.
Edit: Also those expansions were not canon. Never were according to Monolith.

#27 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -
@Ghost_of_Perdition:  Which makes me wonder why MONOLITH isn't working on F3ar.  I'm almost curious as to whether they had any involvment at all.
#28 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Why do they keep on changing what Fettel looks like?

#29 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1237 posts) -
@dillinger said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
" Hasn't this been known for weeks? What is with the unannounced shift in GB's news coverage? "
While this has been known for weeks already (and posted on GB already actually), Jeff DID post a few days ago that there would be some new faces doing news coverage for GB.  Still no excuse for a double post though. "
I chuckled when I read the headline that just summarized what Jeff posted on GB weeks ago :D
#30 Posted by JasonDaPsycho (429 posts) -

It seems like playing as Paxton is overwhelmingly better than playing as Point Man.
If that's true, then what's the point of having Point Man as well?

#31 Posted by MeatSim (10781 posts) -

I like the direction there going but I am not sure why Paxton had a change of heart all of a sudden.

#32 Posted by Masteruub (9 posts) -

i cant wait for this game, its going to be awesome, u can finally use powers actually go in to people as like a soul thing lol, pick people up with ur ghostly powers, hehe so cool lol! 

#33 Posted by Chaser324 (6344 posts) -

I've never been a big fan of the FEAR series. Talk to me when you get playable Bill Paxton.

Moderator Online
#34 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

F.E.A.R. 2 was great, and I'll probably play this one too. Though the ending of 2 was kinda... well, it was interesting.

#35 Edited by teh_destroyer (3562 posts) -

Its not a FEAR game without Monolith involved.

#36 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

Just give me some more mech fighting and I'll be happy.

Monolith really needs to make a mech-only game. They did an awesome job with the mechs in Shogan (Spelling?), and FEAR.

#37 Posted by Marbazoid (55 posts) -

I don't like to sound like a snob, but to put it simply: No monolith, no sale. 

There were some genuine faults with Project Origin, but the single player story was a worthy followup to the first.

This sounds like Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate all over again. I wonder if monolith will announce a "real" Fear 3 under a different title in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.