Th3 Dumb3st G4me N4me 3ver

Posted by Jeff (3660 posts) -
 D00D S1CK!!111111
So this teaser image of a new game in the FEAR franchise popped up on NeoGAF yesterday. It's attributed to "a Spanish magazine," which isn't exactly the most solid of sources, so let's hold out some hope here. But, by the looks of this, there's some sort of chance that the next FEAR game is going to be called... F.3.A.R..

Of course, this isn't an officially released image. On top of that, reps for Warner, which would publish any sort of would-be FEAR successor, didn't offer any comment when asked about it. But doesn't your gut already hurt in that special way that tells you that this is absolutely legitimate?

Assuming it's accurate and official, I'm left wondering one thing. Why, exactly, does anyone still think that slamming a number into your title is a good way to make your sequel stand out? All I ever think of is DRIV3R, which (in case you forgot) was an utter trainwreck. It doesn't add edge to a game, it makes it look like it was written out by some script kiddie WH0 L0V3Z 2 B3 L33T S0N!!!!1111

While I'll give a partial pass to games that use them for dopey abbreviations (Left 4 Dead, Ready 2 Rumble), the numbered sequel thing sucks almost as hard as a thing can possibly suck.

More importantly, I wanted to point you to our page in the database that deals with this tragic topic, Letters Replaced by Numbers in Title. It's a pretty comprehensive list of this sort of thing. This awful, awful thing.
#1 Posted by Jeff (3660 posts) -
 D00D S1CK!!111111
So this teaser image of a new game in the FEAR franchise popped up on NeoGAF yesterday. It's attributed to "a Spanish magazine," which isn't exactly the most solid of sources, so let's hold out some hope here. But, by the looks of this, there's some sort of chance that the next FEAR game is going to be called... F.3.A.R..

Of course, this isn't an officially released image. On top of that, reps for Warner, which would publish any sort of would-be FEAR successor, didn't offer any comment when asked about it. But doesn't your gut already hurt in that special way that tells you that this is absolutely legitimate?

Assuming it's accurate and official, I'm left wondering one thing. Why, exactly, does anyone still think that slamming a number into your title is a good way to make your sequel stand out? All I ever think of is DRIV3R, which (in case you forgot) was an utter trainwreck. It doesn't add edge to a game, it makes it look like it was written out by some script kiddie WH0 L0V3Z 2 B3 L33T S0N!!!!1111

While I'll give a partial pass to games that use them for dopey abbreviations (Left 4 Dead, Ready 2 Rumble), the numbered sequel thing sucks almost as hard as a thing can possibly suck.

More importantly, I wanted to point you to our page in the database that deals with this tragic topic, Letters Replaced by Numbers in Title. It's a pretty comprehensive list of this sort of thing. This awful, awful thing.
#2 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

L00ks g000d

#3 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Why you be H4tin?

#4 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

I don't see the problem. Why is F.3.A.R any worse than F.E.A.R. 3?

#5 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

I'm still under the impression that it's just a huge marketing ploy to get people to talk about it on the internet. And they'll change it to F.E.A.R. 3 when it gets closer to release.

There's no way they actually decided that this name would be a good idea...

#6 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Th3 Be3t Articl3 T1tl3 Ev3r 

...Numbers for letters may actually be one of the most annoying things in the world. Why Monolith, why?

#7 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

I can't wait for the Sequel, F.E 4. R.  
God damn it.

#8 Edited by l3illyl3ob (285 posts) -

Hey.... don't.... :(

Yeah, F3AR is a really dumb name.  But it's not the worst instance of this I've seen.

Remember THI4F? 
http://www.thief4.com/

#9 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" Why you be H4tin? "
H4t3r5 g0nn4 h4t3.
#10 Edited by Lockeyness (189 posts) -

But... F.E.A.R. is an acronym!! They can't do this!  It breaks everything!! 

First Encounter Assault Recon !!  Not First 3 Assault Recon!  This is the worst idea! 

#11 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

0mF6, j00 r s0 f$|<1n6 6h3y!

#12 Edited by ZagZagovich (770 posts) -

So we ca expect FE4R in a fer years.

EDIT: Aghhh. There are probably tons of people who beat me to it.

#13 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

I'm okay with it.

#14 Posted by Torrim (345 posts) -

I'll give them a pass since F.E.A.R. 2 was one of my favorite games last year.  I'm sure I could say it's dopey, but that FEAR stands for something anyway is dopey.

#15 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#16 Edited by Kingloo (87 posts) -

The full title will probably end up being Fear 3 Assault Recon, or somesuch.

Drat! Someone else got there first.

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Jeff, you didn't have any objections to 7ekken (Tekken 7)!

#18 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -

I'm still waiting it out for Street 5er and H4LO before I can comment on the retardation injected into this concept.

#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@creamypies said:
" I don't see the problem. Why is F.3.A.R any worse than F.E.A.R. 3? "
What word does the letter 3 stand for?
#20 Posted by SefaRed (123 posts) -

FEAR 3 would be better than F3EAR, if you read it porperly you'd have to say Fuh'three'er!, as opposed to just FEAR 3. Then again, it's an acronym so I guess youd have to Eff Ee Aye Arr Three. Hmmm, guess it's dumb either way.

#21 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Domb

#22 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

1 c4nt s33 why p30pl3 k33p us1ng num3r5 2 r3pl4c3 l3tt3r5 1ts ju5t s0 stup1d 4nd unn3c3554ry.

4m 1 r1ght?

#23 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @creamypies said:
" I don't see the problem. Why is F.3.A.R any worse than F.E.A.R. 3? "
What word does the letter 3 stand for? "
Who's to say you're part of a F.E.A.R team in this one?
#24 Edited by JP_Russell (1174 posts) -

First Third Assault Recon?  What?
#25 Posted by Belonpopo (1822 posts) -

Dud3r th1s g4m3 l00k5 s000 G()()d

#26 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

F1r57 3nc0un73r 4554ul7 R3c0n 

What's my point?  The 'A' should've been a '4'.  Fuck you, F3AR developer.  Not Since Driv3r have I seen a worse placement of a '3' in a name.
#27 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

50 84D IT5 G00D!!!111

#28 Posted by Brake (1125 posts) -

I think they should go all the way and just call it "Ph34R".

#29 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -

I don't know, I personally think it's swung around to being acceptable

#30 Posted by Milkman (17305 posts) -

I really like F.E.A.R. but that's just the worst thing.

#31 Posted by Hamst3r (4562 posts) -
@ChineseTea said:
" I think they should go all the way and just call it "Ph34R". "

1=.3.4.12.
#32 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

And the fifth installment... 5.E.A.R. 
Okay, it's starting to get weary now.
#33 Posted by Jeffk38uk (719 posts) -

Normally I don't mind numbers in titles. But in the case of F3AR. Yeh, I can see that not fitting well at all.

Still, least we're getting a third game, seem to be the minority who liked Fear 2: Project Origin.

#34 Posted by Toxin066 (3326 posts) -

So can we assume a F.E.4.R is in the works?

#35 Posted by Renahzor (1001 posts) -
@MattBodega said:
" I can't wait for the Sequel, F.E 4. R.  God damn it. "
I hate you more than words can possibly express right now. 
#36 Posted by MachoFantastico (4884 posts) -

Hopefully Monolith will realise their horrid mistake and change the name. If not then things aren't starting well. 

#37 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1825 posts) -

Yeah...totally dumb fuckin name. Just doesn't work with this title at all. Though it still gets me excited knowing that there's a new F.E.A.R. installment in the works. I'd rather have another Condemned sequel before that, though.

#38 Posted by PLWolf (944 posts) -
@ChineseTea said:
" I think they should go all the way and just call it "Ph34R". "
I was thinking the same exact thing.
#39 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

How are you even supposed to pronounce it? I'm genuinely not sure. Is it just supposed to be pronounced "Fear"? Because wouldn't that conflict with F.E.A.R. 1? Are we supposed to call it F.E.A.R. 3? Because if so why not just make that the actual title? I'm sure as hell not going to call it "F-Three-Ar."

#40 Posted by spiceninja (3068 posts) -
@Renahzor said:
" @MattBodega said:
" I can't wait for the Sequel, F.E 4. R.  God damn it. "
I hate you more than words can possibly express right now.  "
FEAR 5 could work as FEAR5 right?
#41 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

I don't see the big deal... It's just lame "1337"speak. Everyone knows it.

#42 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

Slapdash MS Paint job but you get the picture.

#43 Posted by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -

I've never liked the F.E.A.R. games anyway.

#44 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

D00D3RZ!

#45 Posted by Xeiphyer (5611 posts) -
@BigChief said:
" How are you even supposed to pronounce it? I'm genuinely not sure. Is it just supposed to be pronounced "Fear"? Because wouldn't that conflict with F.E.A.R. 1? Are we supposed to call it F.E.A.R. 3? Because if so why not just make that the actual title? I'm sure as hell not going to call it "F-Three-Ar." "
Presumably just Fear, but then you can't tell if you mean the first or the 3rd game. I always pronounced DRIV3R  as Driv-three-er. It sounded hilariously dumb, but rightly so.

I doubt I will ever talk about F3AR, but if I do, it will be Fff-three-ar. Those fuckers deserve it.
#46 Posted by MurderousDonkey (10 posts) -

It could be worse, It could be T.H.R.E.E.A.R.

#47 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Rather sadly, Thief 4 will be continuing this bullshit trend. 

#48 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

I'm waiting for Condemn3d.

#49 Edited by Organicalistic_ (2933 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:

" Why you be H4tin? "

hahahahaa, h8tin'
#50 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -

F.3.A.R. : 47m4 0r1g1nZ!

Rolls off the tongue! Seriously, people are going to refer to it as Fear 3 in conversations, why not just call it that to begin with, . . .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.