Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F.E.A.R. 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 21, 2011

Developed by Day 1 Studios, F.3.A.R. (pronounced "Fear Three") is the final chapter in the F.E.A.R. franchise and continues the twisted story of Alma Wade and her two sons, Paxton Fettel and the Point Man.

The game formerly known as F.3.A.R

Shane394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Shane394

HEY, I START TALKING ABOUT F.3.A.R DOWN THERE

Recently I was digging through some of my old PC games looking for my copy of Counter-Strike because I had realized it wasn't on my steam for whatever reason. Digging through old games is always exciting and I always get nostalgic and misty eyed (Or I would if I wasn't the stonewall man that I am.) I stumbled upon some of my favorites: Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, Starcraft, and... oh? What's this? I found my copy of F.E.A.R. hiding behind some of my brothers books. I don't know if it was there by mistake or if a few years ago I hid it so when I found it I would making a joke about how it was hiding and trying to fill me with F.3.A.R.- I mean fear. I got excited because I had forgotten about it and installed it again. I spent the entire day playing. 

I remembered my fondness for it and it's sequel and decided the first one might even be one of my favorite games of all time. I found the over-the-top sy-fy (Ha!) horror story and atmosphere extremely engrossing. Around the same time, rumors of a F.3.A.R began sprouting. Given the extreme cliff hanger ending of F.E.2.R, I could not have been more excited. I eagerly awaited the trailer for F.3.A.R and was disappointed around fifteen seconds in.   

HEY, THIS IS WHERE I TALK ABOUT F.3.A.R.

My biggest problem is that it's being developed by the people what did the 360 ports of F.E.A.R and it's expansions. Those games controlled like crap and my non-pc gaming friends failed to see the games greatness as the spent more time battling the controller than they did First Encounter Assault Recon... ing. Remember when Treyarch made Call of Duty 3? And Spider-Man 3? And any other series they ruined I am leaving out? It was bad news. I really hate it when another company takes over a franchise, because usually the original developers have plans to return to franchise they created, but instead we get another company's interpretation of where the series should go. Day 1s interpretation of Fear is a co-op shooter devoid of anything resembling horror. The game is called FEAR. It should be kind of scawy. It's like they knew that the game was going to be less scary, so to keep it "FEARy" they had you fight ghosts and beasts and stuff. And Ooooo Paxton Fettel has a bullet in his head because he is a ghost. Spooooooky. Not only all of that, but wherever the story goes from here probably isn't Sierras original intent. This bothers me because I might never get to know what actually happens to the characters at the end of FEAR and FE2R. It's the same case with whatever happens to Modern Warfare 3. Wherever the story goes, it's most likely not how Infinity Ward has planned. Or maybe it is. I don't know how this stuff works.   

I also fail to see how the game could be scary with two people playing it. A lot of the scares in FEAR fall flat when you are playing with other people. I can imagine they would fall even flatter (Woah!) with one of your friends tea bagging the little Alma as she runs across the hall (I will not concern myself with the people you choose to associate with.) And why would Alma be trying to scare you? The point man and Fettel are working together. Her boys are happy, and she's got another baby to attend to. It wouldn't make sense to have the character being stalked by a little girl, because, presumably, they are all on good terms. I can actually see Day 1 letting the players utilize Almas powers,  Which would make a game that already isn't scary even less scary! It's called First Encounter Assault Recon, you have to make it scary!

(Sorry, the blog thing is getting all wonky and not letting me change italics and underlines and such!)

But whatever. I have FEAR and FEAR 2, both awesome games. I will no doubt play F3AR, maybe even buy it, purely because of my love for the series. I hope it turns out good. I hope it wraps up the story well and answers all my questions. Also, I'd be more apt to purchase it if the main character was still mysterious and wasn't all scraggly. But then I see pictures like this: 

Zoinks.
     Zoinks.
     This doesn't look like FEAR. Alma and Fettel aren't being scary. In fact, you guys all look chummy. And Alma looks kind of... hot, but that's a whole other blog (Which I may write).  

But whatever. I found Counter-Strike. Hey, that game doesn't look good anymore. 

(This was my first blog... was it good? I might revisit this topic in more detail. Might even bust out the camera.)
    Shane394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Shane394

HEY, I START TALKING ABOUT F.3.A.R DOWN THERE

Recently I was digging through some of my old PC games looking for my copy of Counter-Strike because I had realized it wasn't on my steam for whatever reason. Digging through old games is always exciting and I always get nostalgic and misty eyed (Or I would if I wasn't the stonewall man that I am.) I stumbled upon some of my favorites: Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, Starcraft, and... oh? What's this? I found my copy of F.E.A.R. hiding behind some of my brothers books. I don't know if it was there by mistake or if a few years ago I hid it so when I found it I would making a joke about how it was hiding and trying to fill me with F.3.A.R.- I mean fear. I got excited because I had forgotten about it and installed it again. I spent the entire day playing. 

I remembered my fondness for it and it's sequel and decided the first one might even be one of my favorite games of all time. I found the over-the-top sy-fy (Ha!) horror story and atmosphere extremely engrossing. Around the same time, rumors of a F.3.A.R began sprouting. Given the extreme cliff hanger ending of F.E.2.R, I could not have been more excited. I eagerly awaited the trailer for F.3.A.R and was disappointed around fifteen seconds in.   

HEY, THIS IS WHERE I TALK ABOUT F.3.A.R.

My biggest problem is that it's being developed by the people what did the 360 ports of F.E.A.R and it's expansions. Those games controlled like crap and my non-pc gaming friends failed to see the games greatness as the spent more time battling the controller than they did First Encounter Assault Recon... ing. Remember when Treyarch made Call of Duty 3? And Spider-Man 3? And any other series they ruined I am leaving out? It was bad news. I really hate it when another company takes over a franchise, because usually the original developers have plans to return to franchise they created, but instead we get another company's interpretation of where the series should go. Day 1s interpretation of Fear is a co-op shooter devoid of anything resembling horror. The game is called FEAR. It should be kind of scawy. It's like they knew that the game was going to be less scary, so to keep it "FEARy" they had you fight ghosts and beasts and stuff. And Ooooo Paxton Fettel has a bullet in his head because he is a ghost. Spooooooky. Not only all of that, but wherever the story goes from here probably isn't Sierras original intent. This bothers me because I might never get to know what actually happens to the characters at the end of FEAR and FE2R. It's the same case with whatever happens to Modern Warfare 3. Wherever the story goes, it's most likely not how Infinity Ward has planned. Or maybe it is. I don't know how this stuff works.   

I also fail to see how the game could be scary with two people playing it. A lot of the scares in FEAR fall flat when you are playing with other people. I can imagine they would fall even flatter (Woah!) with one of your friends tea bagging the little Alma as she runs across the hall (I will not concern myself with the people you choose to associate with.) And why would Alma be trying to scare you? The point man and Fettel are working together. Her boys are happy, and she's got another baby to attend to. It wouldn't make sense to have the character being stalked by a little girl, because, presumably, they are all on good terms. I can actually see Day 1 letting the players utilize Almas powers,  Which would make a game that already isn't scary even less scary! It's called First Encounter Assault Recon, you have to make it scary!

(Sorry, the blog thing is getting all wonky and not letting me change italics and underlines and such!)

But whatever. I have FEAR and FEAR 2, both awesome games. I will no doubt play F3AR, maybe even buy it, purely because of my love for the series. I hope it turns out good. I hope it wraps up the story well and answers all my questions. Also, I'd be more apt to purchase it if the main character was still mysterious and wasn't all scraggly. But then I see pictures like this: 

Zoinks.
     Zoinks.
     This doesn't look like FEAR. Alma and Fettel aren't being scary. In fact, you guys all look chummy. And Alma looks kind of... hot, but that's a whole other blog (Which I may write).  

But whatever. I found Counter-Strike. Hey, that game doesn't look good anymore. 

(This was my first blog... was it good? I might revisit this topic in more detail. Might even bust out the camera.)
    RageW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RageW

Dude, you just took the words out of my mouth
    I finished F.E.A.R 2 about an hour ago and was really eager to see what the third installation was all about  (yes, I managed to keep myself spoiler free until the end), and the more I see, the less hyped I become ='(

Really good blog btw

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lemoncookie01
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

That picture looks like concept art for Blade 4.

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ErrorOperator
    Foxillusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Foxillusion

Loved this blog. I did the same thing, I just dug out FEAR 1 last week and remembered how much I loved it.

Problem is, it's not scary anymore... and I don't think F3AR would have been scary if it was another all-alone alma-stalks-you game. We've played that game twice now.

And you bet your ass I said the same thing after FEAR 1 and still ended up being super scared of alma again in FEAR 2, but I mean it this time.

That said, I still don't think they're going in the right direction. I'm just not sure what a good direction for that game is anymore. It was a classic of FPS horror for me, and I don't think any more sequels will really do it proud.

And you're right about the poster, that woman does not like she has given birth to three children. Sweet jesus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

NECROMANCY IS AFOOT!

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By jkz

I liked FEAR a lot. I loved FEAR 2. 

With FEAR 3, I agree that it seems like they've made a lot of questionable design decisions. I'm worried as well, but I'm still holding out some modicum of hope (although it dwindles with every trailer they release) that it'll surprise me and turn out alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.