Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F.E.A.R.

Franchise »

Created in 2005 by Monolith Productions, F.E.A.R. is an FPS franchise that combines kinetic bullet-time action with atmospheric Japanese horror stylings in a near future world that fuses science fiction with the supernatural.

Worth getting the FEAR collection on Steam?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By BeachThunder

I like first person games and I like horror games, but I've always, for some reason, ignored the FEAR franchise. The FEAR collection is one of the weekend deals on Steam at the moment, should I go for it? Are the games actually scary? Is the gameplay good? The story?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo
    @BeachThunder: The original F.E.A.R. holds up fairly well and is still pretty creepy at times. I found that F.E.A.R. 2 focused more on the action rather than horror but its still competent as a horror shooter. Can't go wrong for £10!
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mfpantst

word- at $10 us buying!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

This package looks very appealing for 10$. I'm going to get it.

brianbeatdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brianbeatdown

Came here to research that exact question, haha. Thanks for the input! Picking it up.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

Both are great games. The original expansion packs are significantly less great, so you could probably skip those unless the shooting action appeals to you that much.  

The first FEAR has arguably better combat situations than the sequel, with great AI paired with level design that allows the enemies to take advantage of it.  

FEAR 2 is serviceable and fun if slightly standard first person shooting. It's probably more fun if you enjoy the story, the atmosphere, and interesting environments. Not particularly scary, but intensely creepy, and has a freaking great ending.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SammydesinasNL
    @AndrewB@BeachThunder@FlamingHobo@Winternet@brianbeatdown:  

Sorry to message you all but do any of you know when the deal ends? I'm tempted to get it but would like to wait for as long as possible.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Winternet

@SammydesinasNL: Well. I dunno. But, if you want it, why wait? Unless you're waiting for it to get lower.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By amir90

For that price, hell yes!

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By KillyDarko

Yes! The first FEAR is awesome and the second holds up pretty well, so yeah, if you like horror and FPS' you can't go wrong there ^^

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By flaminghobo
    @SammydesinasNL said:
    @AndrewB@BeachThunder@FlamingHobo@Winternet@brianbeatdown:   Sorry to message you all but do any of you know when the deal ends? I'm tempted to get it but would like to wait for as long as possible.
    No idea in all honesty.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By bybeach

This is an old thread, but I got the Fear collection. I ran into problems of the terminal/fatal kind with extraction point, some kind of freeze up. Too bad because that was a (the-imo) good expansion pack.

But what I am here for is that I am replaying Fear 2 origon. This game had some profound flaws, but in the main this game rocks. I really love the textures and some of the graphics, particularily like when Beckett is being operated on. The story and some voice acting got fouled, and the shooting came out sub par to Fear one, but it is close. The combat so far is very simular, with smartish AI and auto weapons that just about do tracer rounds for you. Probably my main complaint is that it doesn't let you save which allows for some tedium. And they almost make you go through a short wait and mini move act to restart, just should be Enter.

But I am loving this game. I am playing it when I want to save MW 3 for the next day, and that has not proved an awkward thing to do at all. I'm so glad I went back and rediscovered Fear 2. I have been doing screenshots, and hope to post them in the Screenshot thread, some nice visuals.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SSully

For 10 dollars? Yes. FEAR 1 is fantastic, and I had a great time with FEAR 2 despite it being a bit weaker in terms of scares. Overall hell yes!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I am very fond of F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2. Even if you don't find them scary the gameplay is tons of fun.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

The original F.E.A.R. as an action game (aside from its non-iron sight function) is still very much up to snuff, and the A.I. is still better than all (or at least almost all) of the foes to come 'til this day. I still love the atmosphere of it, though a bit less than I did back in 05/06. The horror aspects aren't quite as sharp nowadays, but it would surely heighten them if you played it on its hardest difficulty and took it slow throughout. When it comes to the second F.E.A.R. people say it focused a lot more on action, but I personally feel that the horror aspects were done a bit better in that, while the action was toned down in satisfaction.

If you play the first F.E.A.R. and love that, you may end up disappointed with its sequel, but if you stick with it, I think you'll like it. I haven't played F.E.A.R. 3 yet, but I do know it focuses almost fully on action. I think my favorite thing about F.E.A.R. and what will always keep the game in my mind and heart, is its amazing A.I. The game could throw out all of its horror Alma aspects (though I do love those parts as well) and you'd still have a terrifically intense game just messing with the Replica Soldiers. The first time I played the game when I was sixteen, I could feel my heart pump because it was so intense. That's not the case anymore though, and after a while, killing guys even on its hardest setting becomes easy.

If we're talking about story, the original F.E.A.R. is about as good as Half-Life. The biggest problem with F.E.A.R. as a whole though, is that the games stories aren't consistent in the sense that they change a lot of things around, and by the end, it turns out to be slightly disappointing. Although I haven't played F.E.A.R. 3, I know how it ends and what happens in between. All I can say is that I personally feel it should have been different, but it is really quite good if you look into it elsewhere as well. The two stand-alone expansion packs actually aren't even canon, which I just learned this year, deeming those (especially Perseus Mandate) worthless add-on's, though I suggest playing Extraction if you enjoyed the original F.E.A.R even though it still isn't quite as good.

What else do you want to know? I'll be happy to answer or explain if you have any more questions about F.E.A.R.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.