Fez 2 cancelled because Phil Fish threw a tamper tantrum.

#51 Posted by Morningstar (2231 posts) -

Oh Phil Fish.

#52 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4867 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy said:

@bazookaxp: dude if you're really gonna bring up Ryan as a way of justifying your opinion on these two acting like children you can seriously screw right off

That's why I'm sort of convinced he's Marcus Beer, or at least related to 'em.

#53 Posted by AngelN7 (2972 posts) -

Why is that 8 out of 10 times I hear something about Fish is about some e-drama/rant stuff rather than something to do with the only game he has done?.

#54 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3705 posts) -
#55 Posted by JamesBoyce (295 posts) -

If Phil Fish doesn't want to continue working on his game, that's his business. Getting mad because of whatever personal reasons he might've succumbed to and come to that decision doesn't matter. You can talk about how much you think Phil Fish acts like a child, but what are you gonna do about it? It's him living life his way, if you don't want any part in it, don't participate.

It's like getting mad at celebrities because they act in a way that you don't approve of. Unless they're actively harming others with their actions, why do you care?

#56 Posted by BigJeffrey (5144 posts) -

Obligatory philfish.jpeg ,someones gotta do it.

#57 Posted by CollegeGuyMike (391 posts) -

This is unfortunate. Phil seems like an alright dude, who has a lot of opinions, and then gets a lot of shit about it on the internet because at some point he became a target for assholes to attack constantly. Sure he doesn't respond well most of the time, but I can't say that I would really do any better in that position.

I hope he changes his mind and just learns to ignore the people who want to give him flack just because they can, but if he really decides to give up on this industry for the sake of his own sanity then good on him.

#58 Posted by Gnubberen (780 posts) -

@turboman said:

Phil should delete his twitter account and ignore his haters... he would be much happier.

STOP IT! You're making too much sense!

#59 Edited by BazookaXp (17 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy said:

@bazookaxp: dude if you're really gonna bring up Ryan as a way of justifying your opinion on these two acting like children you can seriously screw right off

Of course I'm not the fact that you would even imply that was my intention in bringing it up even makes me mad. I just couldn't believe that I saw a user on Giant Bomb making light of someone telling someone else they should commit suicide considering the recent circumstances.

I have major respect for Ryan and Giant Bomb and meant no disrespect with my comments.

#60 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1420 posts) -

It's his game he can do what he wants. Just shows how much authority he has, the "kill yourself" statement was definitely out of line BUT apart from that I have to side with Phil Fish. They're definitely (by they I mean Phil fish and Jonathan blow) the jayz and kanye of the gaming industry but guess what, I love me some Kanye and Jay-Z :p

#61 Edited by Branwulf (412 posts) -

To be fair though, Marcus Beer is a bit of a cunt.

#62 Posted by Aronman789 (2694 posts) -

Phil overreacted, but he tends to get a lot of shit just for being himself, he isn't going to change who he is just because some people on the internet think he's a bit too mean sometimes, and Marcus is a total asswipe too.

AnnoyedGamer, Total Biscuit, why do so many game personalities keep putting on this face of always being angry assholes? It gets tiring really quick, why can't we all just play some damn games for their intended purpose: to have some fun? This industry needs to get out of its own ass.

#63 Posted by Demoskinos (15106 posts) -

I actually like Marcus he has been on Weekend Confirmed a few times and every time he has been on hes been pretty entertaining. I can't say I find Phil either entertaining nor his games something I give two shits about. Sorry, but Phil is a baby. If he can't take criticism without blowing his fucking lid every time someone gives him shit he should just get out of the public eye.

#64 Posted by Branwulf (412 posts) -

I'm not disputing that Phil Fish has a terrible personality, but it's not the job of other people to throw stones at him about it either.

#65 Posted by Humanity (9858 posts) -

Honestly I never understood the reverence for Jonathan Blow or Phil Fish. They both made quirky indie games and are treated like indie gaming guru's. I have nothing against the doods, although Phil Fish apart from maybe being comedic in his outrageous outbursts, does seem like he's seriously unstable at times. Both of their contributions to gaming are pretty miniscule in the grand scheme of things and if there is no Fez 2 well I won't lose too much sleep over it.

#66 Posted by joshwent (2327 posts) -

I'd love Fez so much more if I never knew anything about the creator. I'm just fucking sick at being embarrassed for him.

You made a great game Phil, but maybe the internet just isn't the place for you.

#67 Posted by w00tazn (6 posts) -

This also happened today which could've attributed to this rash behavior:
http://puu.sh/3N96T.png

#68 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4469 posts) -

This is all so embarrassing why are these grown men acting like children D:

edit: Also annoyed gamer, angry gamer, mad gamer, whatever. Fuck all these turds, what a shitty gimmick.

What happened to calm gamer?

#69 Edited by leinad44 (530 posts) -

@everettescott: Patrick said on twitter that knowing Phil Fish writing an article would be premature. And I agree, this comes across as an overreaction to someone acting like a bit of an asshat. He'll probably backtrack on this statement later. But who knows, the guy is obviously mentally ill.

#70 Posted by abara (229 posts) -

guys... GUYS. wake up

his twitter icon is ANDY KAUFMAN

#71 Edited by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

None of this makes any sense. This is part of a Half-Life 3 ARG, right?

#72 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4867 posts) -

@leinad44 said:

@everettescott: Patrick said on twitter that knowing Phil Fish writing an article would be premature. And I agree, this comes across as an overreaction to someone acting like a bit of an asshat. He'll probably backtrack on this statement later. But who knows, the guy is obviously mentally ill.

Since when is being sensitive a sign of mental illness? The dude is a five foot ball of raw emotion. That passion is a double edged sword, I won't deny that, but to call him mentally ill because he blew up at an asshole calling him a hipster douche doesn't fucking compute.

#73 Posted by XCEagle (116 posts) -

Did no one realize that Fish's tweet was a futurama reference? Not really a great line out of context, but still.

#74 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3705 posts) -

Wonder if anybody has a link to the video Marcus Beer did that got Phil Fish upset?

#75 Posted by 5Figh (172 posts) -

Someone accused him of attacking or threatening his ex. This whole thing is weird.

Also his avi is Andy Kaufman.

#77 Posted by librariangmr (180 posts) -

I didn't know who Marcus Beer is until now and have only heard about Fish's online antics but judging by the GameTrailers video, Marcus is the one who comes off really unprofessional. Like he had his own personal axe to grind. You can complain about how two people respond to press requests and such, but to stoop to such a low level and verbally assault them (tosspots, hipsters) shows that he doesn't give a shit as much as he's trying to stir the pot and cause some friction. Screw this guy.

#78 Edited by RecSpec (3908 posts) -

@xceagle: I KNEW that sounded familiar.

#79 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

First of all, I don't believe him, and I wouldn't take this as truth unless he sticks with it for a week or so. He got mad at someone and said "I'm out" in the heat of it, and gave Polygon a three word confirmation. He's got a history of stuff like this, right?

But more importantly, as much as the guy can come off as self-involved, abrasive jerk, I kind of feel like we're all picking on someone with obvious psychological problems. I don't know the correct terminology, but isn't a lot of his behaviour consistent with some form of mild autism, dissocial personality disorder, or something like that? I can't really worked up about the behaviour of someone I'm increasingly convinced isn't really capable of fully controlling their behaviour.

Even if he's just a jerk and nothing more, what's the point of piling on?

#80 Posted by csl316 (9254 posts) -

This is silly.

#81 Edited by Sup (61 posts) -

Well have a look at what kind of stuff he get's tweeted at. + The fact that certain publications called him an asshole. OK, it was in a slightly positive way ( http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/why-you-want-assholes-to-make-your-video-games ), but still.

I don't know what I would do if was under constant assault for the things I say and constantly called an asshole. Other indies like Team Meat already left twitter. It is just not healthy.

Too bad I was looking forward to Fez II. Hope Phil is going to be ok.

#82 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I don't get the impression that Phil Fish is a bad guy, but he seems far too unstable to deal with the public, himself. He needs a spokesman, or at least someone who can coach him on how to deal with this properly.

#83 Edited by Coafi (1490 posts) -

AnnoyedGamer, Total Biscuit, why do so many game personalities keep putting on this face of always being angry assholes? It gets tiring really quick, why can't we all just play some damn games for their intended purpose: to have some fun? This industry needs to get out of its own ass.

Yep, I don't get why anyone cares what these "annoyed game personalities" have to say. Isn't it always part of their stupid character/ persona? Why should I take why they say as something important or serious?

#84 Edited by SilentPredator (143 posts) -

Oh hey, look, Phil Fish is being an asshole AGAIN.

#85 Posted by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -

My feeling on Fish has always been such. The reason the man gets as much flack as he dose is because he's green in the industry he's made one game which was a critical darling, and using his new indie status starts bad mouthing the industry in which he works. Games are personal and when you insult them you insult the people who like them no different then books or films.

My personal issue with Phil Fish is the fact that he honestly has no real clout in the game industry, he's made one brilliant game, spouts off his options as if they were fact, and then gets really upset when people call him out on BS or don't agree with him. Phil constantly thinks he's the smartest person in the room, but I suspect this much if a major publisher gave him a two million budget he'd crack under the pressure, just look at how he reacted to this situation. He want's to take potshots at the industry without having the ability or raw talent to do what the big developers attempt to do (IE put multi millions on the line) and the minute anyone shines a light on his hypocrisy he turtles up and throws a tantrum.

#86 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@peasantabuse said:

edit: Also annoyed gamer, angry gamer, mad gamer, whatever. Fuck all these turds, what a shitty gimmick.

Calm gamer probably got stomped in an alley by angry gamer and pissed gamer. RIP

#87 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5902 posts) -

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to another Fez.

#88 Edited by CrimsonJesus (95 posts) -

I'm totally okay with Phil Fish, he's hilarious and Fez was pretty good. He's obviously got some issues but so do a lot of people, those people just have publicists.

#89 Posted by Phished0ne (2532 posts) -

This whole situation is crazy. I have a long history of not liking Fish but this is completely nuts. Two brash asses who's britches are too big and wont give up their shtick for 5 seconds. Marcus didn't cross the line and say anything crazy, he called them hipsters and tosspots. wow..so insulting, on a show where he is asked to give his opinion about things. Either you prove the dude wrong and comment on the MS thing, or you just take the lumps. I dont particularly like Marcus either, i think his persona is annoying just like i find AVGN annoying. I think it must be tough being in Fish's shoes though, but he's built part of his career on being opinionated, and when you do that people will come to you expecting quotes. He made this bed for himself, and now he's trying to play Goldilocks and try out everyone else's.

#90 Posted by DrStrangepork (161 posts) -

I'm still waiting for the headline "Beer Battered Fish".

#91 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3705 posts) -

Cool, thanks dude.

Brutal stuff Marcus Beer said but it sounds like its kinda his schtick. If any of you follow ESPN at all Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless do the same thing, they make wild controversial statements to get a rise from athletes in the hopes of getting press. In situations like this, especially for people of the press there is really no such thing as bad publicity cause it usually puts the press members name out there. Before all this I knew who Phil Fish was but did not know who Marcus Beer was, now I know.

#92 Edited by Castiel (2704 posts) -

I will NEVER understand all the hate against Phil Fish. The dude apparently made an awesome game, I can't play it since my pc is crap and I don't have an xbox, but for some reason people like to treat him like his the new Hitler or something. This industry is laughable at times and I don't care if you for some reason don't like Phil Fish, but don't you have anything better to do than constantly criticzie the man for everything he does?

Can't you just enjoy his games or is that impossible? There is plenty of people in the world that I don't necessarily agree with but I can still enjoy their work.

But the internet is full of cynisicm and evil people that like to push others buttons. Unfortunately some people are more sensitive than others and if you push them to far they snap. This can end in suicide if you are really depressed, but heck I will bet that some people get a kick out of pushing someone to the edge. Especially on the internet, even if it means death. People can be nasty.

I have been depressed for the last couple of years of my life and when it's worst I definitely have thoughts like "what's the point" or "why do I even go on anymore?" and Phil Fish seems like the kind of person that can be pushed to edge and who knows what will happen then?

Marcus Beer is a total asshole and his comments was uncalled for. Or let me say it like this: His tone was uncalled for. There is no reason to talk about a person in that tone. You can criticzise someone and still do it without getting nasty. Beer seems like a very angry or maybe frustrated person, I guess he lives up to his name, and I'm absolute baffled that a person that spews hatefull and immature comments can be considered a professional in this "industry" or what ever the fuck you wanna call it. Kindergarden is probably a more appropiate word.

And hell yeah Phil Fish is angry and hurt, he has every right to be. The dude never gets a moment of peace. No mattter what he does there will always be some assholes just waiting to attack with everything they got. He constantly gets called the nastiest things and why? No really. Tell me why?

This is to all the assholes in the world. What's going to happen if you don't kick the guy laying on the ground? You don't feel good about yourselves unless you trample them down?

The only thing this proves to me is that the internet brings out the worst in people. If Phil Fish ever commits suicide, I guess the jerks won. So congratulations jerk you got what you wanted. Do feel better about yourself know? Do you feel like a big man now? Go fuck yourself.

And if you think I'm overreacting then you have never tried to be truly depressed and I fear Phil Fish is heading down a dark road.

#93 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4469 posts) -

I'm totally okay with Phil Fish, he's hilarious and Fez was pretty good. He's obviously got some issues but so do a lot of people, those people just have publicists.

This is how I feel.

#94 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4469 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

@peasantabuse said:

Calm gamer probably got stomped in an alley by angry gamer and pissed gamer. RIP

Well that's a bummer, stoned gamer probably would have intervened if he wasn't busy getting high and playing Dyad.

#95 Edited by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@crimsonjesus said:

This is how I feel.

I don't understand how you could hate this guy after seeing the GDC video.

He's just terrible at using twitter

#96 Posted by leinad44 (530 posts) -

@leinad44 said:

Since when is being sensitive a sign of mental illness? The dude is a five foot ball of raw emotion. That passion is a double edged sword, I won't deny that, but to call him mentally ill because he blew up at an asshole calling him a hipster douche doesn't fucking compute.

I meant it in the broadest way, poor choice of words, mentally unstable is better. Someone who behaves in this manner doesn't really strike me as someone who is stable. He's being completely irrational.

#97 Posted by BaconGames (3542 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

Didn't Phil Fish quit twitter and social networking for awhile while developing Fez? He should learn from that experience and either take comments with a grain of salt or quit social media all together and just hire a pr representative.

To that end I wonder if any feedback from internet comments, forums, and twitter were ever responsible for steering his project one way or another. Because if during the creative process he's not even looking at feedback or letting it affect him, then I do have to wonder what he gets out of it while he's in the middle of projects.

That said he's reiterated that he just loves being on twitter, which you can't fault him for that I guess. Whenever I've seen him speak, whether on Rev3 games or Giant Bomb, he's been smart and a lot of fun. It's a shame that he has an opinion he can't help but express bluntly and as a "lone-wolf indie" people like to pile on.

I'm sure people, press and community, want nothing but to find great, juicy, excuses to take him and John Blow down a notch. They're brash and opinionated but for my money articulate and capable of adapting and not really embodying the indie pretentious stick figure persona people make them out to be. Miles better than someone who has objectionable political ideas or reprehensible/criminal pasts which is what would make me reconsider their creative product.

It's his business if he wants to cancel Fez II but I feel like, excepting those who assume he's a bit over-reactive as usual, it's only going to do him a disservice if he does announce that Fez II is back on. After all at least a few of the big name sites are going to pick this up and get good numbers from the story (which is why I respect Patrick's hesitance to write about it). I think this amounts to a dramatic spat and letting Phil cool off for a bit before taking it seriously.

Let's ask him in a week+, maybe longer before confirming if Fez II is not a thing. Of course this assumes Fez II was much of a thing in the first place but I'd like to think that someone began work on it.

#98 Posted by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

Twitter continues to ruin everything.

But I guess some people think dudes fighting in public is amusing/interesting. Guess what: People are dicks- every reality show ever should have taught you that much.

#99 Posted by Happenstance (467 posts) -

Phil Fish does bring some of this stuff onto himself with various comments and taunting he does but he doesnt deserve the grief he gets.

Im with the others who dont like these "angry/cynical" gimmick game commentators. I dont think they bring anything to the industry but negativity and thats not what we need. The GB guys dont like plenty of games but you dont see them being abusive towards devs.

#100 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

It's hard to follow the argument when you're only getting Fish's point of view but whatever it comes as no surprise since he's one of the most contentious developers on the internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.