Fez 2 cancelled because Phil Fish threw a tamper tantrum.

#201 Edited by Turbyne (98 posts) -

I'm hoping for a good Jimquisition out of all of this.

HELL YES!

Phil Fish is a lil baby.

#202 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

@mystyr_e said:

which is weird cause I was considering buying Fez off steam but was always like "yeah but do I want to give money to this asshole?" and uh....yeah

You base your support for video games on whether their makers are nice or jerks?

So you'd rather support a cinematic unimaginative 'experience' with rehashed gameplay because the developer is a kind person, than to support a fresh and bold title with replay value and new gameplay because the dev is a dick?

Yes, I would rather buy a game that might be bad because i like the person, then buy a game that might be good from a person i dont enjoy. Same reason so many people are going to buy a PS4 rather then an Xbox One, they very well could be the same exact thing, but one is made by sony, and one is made by microsoft.

#203 Edited by Teoball (530 posts) -

Haha, I love you Mr. Fish.

#204 Posted by BaconGames (3134 posts) -

I just realized that cancelling Fez 2 in disgust is the most Phil Fish thing Phil Fish has done yet. The only part that demystifies this whole thing for me is this: http://storify.com/JournoBeeves/phil-fish-beeved-at-polygon, which is a classic case of heart or intent being the right place but holy shit the means are fucked. That's the hard part about Phil Fish is that you have no out with him. You love him and have every reason to hate him and vice versa.

If anything though Phil has unintentionally (or intentionally) given the gaming internet a great excuse to think about the issue of twitter bullshit, the relationship people have in the industry, and all that. While it should be interpreted in the context of Phil, the fact that a developer felt compelled to announce the cancellation of their game (however flaky) in response to internet and media bullshit is potentially far-reaching and I like to think in a positive way.

#205 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1773 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

@jouseldelka said:

@mystyr_e said:

which is weird cause I was considering buying Fez off steam but was always like "yeah but do I want to give money to this asshole?" and uh....yeah

You base your support for video games on whether their makers are nice or jerks?

So you'd rather support a cinematic unimaginative 'experience' with rehashed gameplay because the developer is a kind person, than to support a fresh and bold title with replay value and new gameplay because the dev is a dick?

Yes, I would rather buy a game that might be bad because i like the person, then buy a game that might be good from a person i dont enjoy. Same reason so many people are going to buy a PS4 rather then an Xbox One, they very well could be the same exact thing, but one is made by sony, and one is made by microsoft.

Id say thats a horrible waste of money.

#206 Edited by punkxblaze (2878 posts) -

At first I was like, lol, Phil Fish. Then I realized the guy who harassed him is that Annoyed Gamer cocksucker, and now I'm fully on board with team Fish. I'm so tired of the annoyed/irate/angry/short tempered/slightly put off gamer video show trope where dude yells in a camera about why games suck, and Beer is just the latest dude to jump on that bullet train to fuck you ville.

#207 Posted by Zelyre (983 posts) -

The dude likes to poke at people, remember? Japanese games suck? PCs are for spreadsheets? I'm in the top ten on Steam, suck it boycott?

If you go around antagonizing people, you gotta expect them to antagonize you back. If you can't handle that, then... don't antagonize others in the first place?

#208 Posted by Hunter5024 (5174 posts) -

@shagge said:

@hunter5024 said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@peasantabuse said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@peasantabuse said:

This is all so embarrassing why are these grown men acting like children D:

edit: Also annoyed gamer, angry gamer, mad gamer, whatever. Fuck all these turds, what a shitty gimmick.

What happened to calm gamer?

Calm gamer probably got stomped in an alley by angry gamer and pissed gamer. RIP

Well that's a bummer, stoned gamer probably would have intervened if he wasn't busy getting high and playing Dyad.

What we need is the Bob Ross of gaming criticism.

"And here we have some happy little SpeedTrees..."

This made me laugh so hard.

@colourful_hippie Exactly. I would totally watch that guy.

#209 Posted by BaconGames (3134 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: That kind of breaks down a bit because for most people, it's more of a generic sense of "brand" rather than individuals. However in this one instance, Sony is to be given all the credit for providing compelling names and personalities that people trust (Cerny, Boyes, Shueda) which is an exception in the hardware space. In this once instance I can understand that but only then. Yeah, otherwise it is sort of the same vague ideas of brand loyalty and fanboyism.

I think a better analogy would be refusing to go to Chick-Fil-A because of their conservative religious policies and opinions.

#210 Posted by Nightriff (4347 posts) -

Man Phil gives you a lot of reason to not like him, but he is who he is and I respect the hell out of that. I think Patrick's tweet of basically Devs don't owe Press and Press don't owe Devs shit, too true, more than ever now.

#211 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

I really enjoyed Mr. Fish when he's done stuff with the site. But dude really needs to quit Twitter. He often comes off... poorly.

#212 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

God, poor Phil Fish. That dude gets a lot of shit, like more than anyone else in this industry. Ugh, I hope he's doing okay.

#213 Posted by beepmachine (614 posts) -

@bacongames: Wow I didn't hear about any of that stuff with Polygon. Thanks for posting that. Just who is this Kevin Dent asshole anyway?

#214 Posted by cmblasko (1006 posts) -

This situation doesn't reflect well on anyone. The game development community doesn't need anyone in or around it acting so immaturely.

@humanity said:

Honestly I never understood the reverence for Jonathan Blow or Phil Fish.

I respect Jonathan Blow because he is a really good programmer and a smart dude in general.

#215 Posted by Itwongo (787 posts) -

I shouldn't have read the comments on Polytron's website. Jesus.

#216 Posted by DeeGee (2096 posts) -
@zelyre said:

The dude likes to poke at people, remember? Japanese games suck? PCs are for spreadsheets? I'm in the top ten on Steam, suck it boycott?

If you go around antagonizing people, you gotta expect them to antagonize you back. If you can't handle that, then... don't antagonize others in the first place?

To be fair about the Japan thing, I doubt that 90% of the people who mention that have ever actually seen the panel where he said it. A guy straight up asked the panel what they thought about modern Japanese games. I don't think a single person on that panel disagreed with Phil either, with J-Blow giving a lengthy reason on why he thought modern Japanese games were bad. There was even a dude on there whose name escapes me who referred to them as "joyless husks".

#217 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@turbyne said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

HELL YES!

Phil Fish is a lil baby.

I never thought of that. Should make a good episode. Jim Sterling is one of my favorite people in the industry.

#218 Edited by TruthTellah (7666 posts) -

My favorite alternate title for this tragic story:

"Beer Batters Fish. Fez II Fried."

#219 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -
#220 Edited by Giantstalker (1445 posts) -

Never liked the guy, his game, or his attitude in general. I certainly won't be sad to see him finally fade into obscurity.

#221 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

@itwongo said:

I shouldn't have read the comments on Polytron's website. Jesus.

FEZ ROCKS

PHIL IS AWESOME

Its the only comment I saw the whooo-oooole way down. (From a one guy)

Oh, and

CHOKE ON IT

#222 Posted by MachoFantastico (4307 posts) -

I want to like Phil Fish, but every time I try he gives me another example of why it's impossible. I'll be honest, Fez did nothing nothing for me but I still appreciate the impact it had on many, the dude just comes across as a cry baby so often it's getting old. Who cares.

#223 Posted by BaconGames (3134 posts) -

@dennisthemennis said:

@bacongames: Wow I didn't hear about any of that stuff with Polygon. Thanks for posting that. Just who is this Kevin Dent asshole anyway?

That's the hard part about all this is besides being the CEO for a dev that hasn't released many games, he's kinda vaguely someone who gets involved in biz dev and the IGDA. I see his comments on twitter occasionally and I think that fact that's just on there and is replying to notables in the industry is why he got quoted in that article to begin with. While he's said some questionable stuff, what I read of Dent's offending posts is insulting but nothing above what an average/kinda shitty person might say . I see him as just another flawed human that's just there I guess and not worth paying attention to, especially now.

I completely side with McElroy on this simply because it's not his job to scrub through everyone's twitter responses to see if they're a cock or not. To be fair, it's easier than ever to cross check with the @journobeeves twitter account but yeah, Fish's reaction was unfortunate and in really bad form imo.

@cmblasko said:

This situation doesn't reflect well on anyone. The game development community doesn't need anyone in or around it acting so immaturely.

@humanity said:

Honestly I never understood the reverence for Jonathan Blow or Phil Fish.

I respect Jonathan Blow because he is a really good programmer and a smart dude in general.

It was that coupled with this talks on the E3 bombcasts that really earned my respect for Blow despite that I occasionally disagree with his points.

#224 Posted by Soap (3530 posts) -

@unrealdp said:

God, poor Phil Fish. That dude gets a lot of shit, like more than anyone else in this industry. Ugh, I hope he's doing okay.

It's mostly deserved, he rarely thinks about what he is saying before saying it and has said some pretty outrageous things over the years. He's just having yet another teenage fit and tomorrow he will feel like a jack ass and announce Fez 2 is back on.

No one comes out of this looking good though.

#225 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

@jouseldelka said:

@mystyr_e said:

Id say thats a horrible waste of money.

Is that not the essence of voting with your wallet?

#226 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@animasta said:

Also, OP, are you incapable of making an unbiased topic title? ever? Everything I've seen from you has been biased as hell.

Bias is a good thing. It gives people something to talk about.

#227 Posted by joshwent (1778 posts) -
#228 Edited by planetfunksquad (369 posts) -

@zelyre said:

The Japan thing was out of context and the the PCs are for spreadsheets thing is just his opinion. Who gives a fuck what he prefers to play his games on?

As for the Steam thing and antagonizing people, that was a response to people on Steam antagonizing HIM. Heres how the internet treats Phil Fish: Say some ridiculous bullshit about him, wait for him to respond in kind, ZOMG I CANT BELIEVE HE RESPONDED TO THE HORRIBLE THINGS WE SAID WHAT A FUCKING DICK

#229 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

If I'd spend so much time on twitter I'd get no work done either

#230 Edited by Itwongo (787 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07:

I copy-pasted a few if you missed em.

1. rofl Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:23

Get lost you waste of talent. Shitbag telling others to kill themselves, you dont deserve your fame, money or attention.

2. Badger Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:23

So no 360 patch then I guess.

3. Bob Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:24

Good. I hope that you never come back

4. Fish-a-filet Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:24

I would be sad if this was a good game. Fez is not a good game. I am happy a hack such as you gave up on releasing your next abomination.

5. Ugh Non Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:25

You are an embarrassment.

6. Lola Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:25

Good news. Stop making games please.

7. Trent Peacock Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:26

Typical Quebecor: Take the money and run, who cares about obligation.

8. Phillip Poisson Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:27

Why not pull Fez from steam while you’re at it? Or is this another stunt to try and get a few more sales for your pretentious little game?

9. Adoll Knitler Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:27

Suck my dick, choke on it.

10. Happy you're leaving. Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 16:28

So the face of indie gaming is a blubbering idiot who can’t deal with criticism.

11. Jon Says:

Good, Fez was shit, who would want more of that shit?

12. Aye Nawn Says:

$10 says the douche comes back in 6 months trying to release his terrible game again.

Naw guys, I just needed time to get my head together. I’m significantly less of a douche now.

13. Rektus Erectus Says:

http://www.kotaku.com/fex-II-to-flip-between-cancelled-and-greenlighted

14. Nojustice4trayvon Says:

Where’s that straight white male privilege when you need it the most, Fish?

Maybe you should stop beating women.

#231 Posted by Chaser324 (5967 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

@turbyne said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

HELL YES!

Phil Fish is a lil baby.

I never thought of that. Should make a good episode. Jim Sterling is one of my favorite people in the industry.

I'll be honest, I don't understand the appeal of Jim Sterling. I find him incredibly annoying. Although, to be fair, I don't really like any of these video game media people that take on an "angry nerd" persona.

#232 Posted by Ubertron986 (5 posts) -

Phil Fish is one of my favourite duders in video games so this bummed me out. I disagree with some of what he says but for the most part I admire his outspokenness. Too bad crummy game journalism finally got to him, but this wasn't really a shock considering how much flack he gets (there was some article on him being an asshole a week ago that he reviled) and his own spot on hatred for the industry itself. But I hope he'll uncancel the game once he calms down and gets an apology. Okay, that list bit probably won't happen.

#233 Posted by jsnyder82 (685 posts) -

As much as I love Fez, and as much shit as I'm going to get for saying this, Phil Fish has mental health issues and needs help. Because he seems like the type of person that goes on shooting sprees.

#234 Edited by Missacre (566 posts) -

@zelyre said:

Oh this, this so much. He thought he was Mr. Hotshit when his shitty game came out, and adding those insults on top of that was like icing on the cake. There's no way I'd ever support him, and the sooner he gets out of the industry, the better for all of us. He's just a bitchy little girl, who throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way. Come on, cancelling an entire game because someone was talking shit? If that's not a tantrum, I don't know what is.

#235 Posted by erhard (347 posts) -

This demonstrates that he cares more about what people think about his creations than he does about creating. What an overly emotional hack.

#236 Posted by CrazyBagMan (801 posts) -

I still don't hate Fish, but this is stupid on all fronts.

#237 Edited by Confirm4Crit (136 posts) -
#238 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

@chaser324 said:

His appeal lies in his forthright demeanor. He can appear kind of creepy and the aesthetic of his web show is reminiscent of the SS, but that's kind of the point. He's got a soapbox, he knows he has a soapbox, and sometimes he uses it to satirize topics, people, places, or things. Jim has a sense of humour (although crude, admittedly), and he's not one to shy away from it. He's the game journalism equivalent of a WYSIWIG. He's also a champion of the consumer, and usually cuts through PR bullshit and executive doublespeak to get to the heart of a matter.

I don't agree with him on everything. Sometimes I can't stand him. That being said he's an intelligent guy who knows when to play for laughs and when to be serious. The only people I know who walk that tight rope as elegantly as Jim Sterling does work at Giant Bomb.

#239 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

Since his Twitter is locked now and most people can't see it:

#240 Posted by planetfunksquad (369 posts) -

@erhard said:

cares more about what people think about his creations

Except this wasn't about what people thought of Fez. It was personal attacks, with no justification.

#241 Edited by PollySMPS (207 posts) -

@planetfunksquad: This best sums up the entire Phil Fish saga. The internet is just a bunch of whiny little children when their own shit gets turned back on them. It's been this way since before all the hub-bub about Fish started.

#242 Posted by hollitz (1171 posts) -

The message on Polytron's site reads like the ramblings of a drunk. Bet he's trashed and the game will be back on next week.

Can't say Fez made much of an impression on me, and I certainly don't like Phil as a person, but I really feel for anyone looking forward to the sequel.

#243 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@milkman said:

Good, I hope he doesn't come back. If you can't take a bit of criticism, you don't belong in the video game industry.

#244 Posted by narujoe93 (2446 posts) -
#245 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -
#247 Posted by Abendlaender (2597 posts) -

This is amazing on so many levels. Good thing I didn't really cared about Fez I or II otherwise I'd be pissed

#248 Posted by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -

@bacongames: Oh hey look Phil's being a jerk but it's okay because he's the third coming of indie development. This is the bizarre double standard that he seems to live by that has always bothered me about the man. Fez was brilliant yes, but that doesn't mean I have to respect Phil Fish as a person or his opinion on anything.

#249 Posted by mrfluke (4844 posts) -

we are all way too sensitive.

text chat with a random user on the internet is just the worst as there is no way to get someone's "tone" through text.

#250 Posted by joshwent (1778 posts) -

@milkman said:

No matter "who started it", none of us can understand what it must be like emotionally to have thousands of strangers constantly berating you. I don't really have sympathy per se, because I think Fish instigated a lot of the vitriol, but it must be profoundly upsetting nonetheless.

That said, anyone who feels the need to get out of the industry after making ONE GAME has to take a deep look at his own involvement in the situation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.