Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Anybody else lost?

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnimalFather

i keep switching maps and dont know where im going or what im doing just collecting the yellow things....anybody else have this problem?

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MoseSSesoM

Alittle, I don't know how to get back to the "main area".

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By MEATBALL

Yeah, pretty much, playing through the game feels like falling deeper down a rabbit hole. The continuity is very alien, which I assume is an intended feeling.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Not really, the map is ingeniously designed so now I feel like I can find my way anywhere, the warps also make nice little shortcuts. A lot of the fun in Fez is in the discovery and exploration though, so don't feel afraid to just open doors and see where they take you.

I'm not sure how you couldn't know what you're doing either, the game lays that out right at the start, find bits, build cubes, use cubes to open doors at the hub. You have an open world to explore, and plenty of cubes, bits, and secrets to find. When you find them all, the world is saved, or is it?

c418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By c418

Yep, the world map might appear confusing at first. Eventually though you should figure out that it will be of great help to you.

Actually quite a few game reviewers pointed the world map out as "confusing and unintuitive" because they haven't played the game further and just stopped midway.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HoM3R

Im the kinda player that likes to be cleared all the way before I leave a area. After 5min I felt I was in a area that looked "end game" (like Mario thought us, the more evil the world looks the further you are) and thought I broken away from the intended path. After 10min I already had around 10 paths and they al kept going and giving me new paths without me clearing anything. Spent 10min back tracking and hoping to find a symmetry or logic in the world but its all really random.

So now im trying to be less anal about it and just go along for the ride. The fact that the map shows you completion of a area is great though for my OCD.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

@MEATBALL said:

Yeah, pretty much, playing through the game feels like falling deeper down a rabbit hole. The continuity is very alien, which I assume is an intended feeling.

I'm lost, but I'm only just beginning. I have to agree with MEATBALL here, though. It feels like I'm going down a rabbit hole. It's helped me to think of the game less like Mario (or, more accurately, Braid) and more like Metroid.

So far, I love the surrealist style of the game.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dredlockz

@C418 said:

Yep, the world map might appear confusing at first. Eventually though you should figure out that it will be of great help to you.

Actually quite a few game reviewers pointed the world map out as "confusing and unintuitive" because they haven't played the game further and just stopped midway.

I've opened all the doors that require cubes in that hub world, and can find my way through the areas pretty well. But to be honest I still think the world map is definitely confusing and unintuitive. You can see which nodes can connect to other nodes, but you have to try all the doors in that specific level to see which is the one that takes you the node you want, it just gives a vague idea of how everything is connected.

It's far from ideal, but because of the nature of the game and the incredible complexity of the level design I have no idea how a better map could be made. So we all have to deal with it.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ZimboDK

No, I can find my way around pretty easily. Solving the puzzles is another matter though. There are so many where I have absolutely no clue what to do. 26 cubes so far.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

Yeah, I hope I'm supposed be lost.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By project343

@AnimalFather: Initially, yes. It felt like a really poor dream: seeing several doors, entering one... seeing several more doors, entering one... rinse and repeat until mental breakdown. Then you realize how fantastic the back button is. Having that sense of place and progressing in the space works wonders.

@ZimboDK: WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS EVIL OWL HEAD SPINNING THING?! *throws keyboard*

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Not really.

But I do feel like there are some things I might be missing in certain areas

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gunstar

I just 'beat' it. Just go wherever you haven't explored much yet. You'll find new places all the time. Find a larger cube that has a lot of smaller cubes you haven't gone to on the map.

Telephis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Telephis

I also like completing areas before moving on, or at the very least in this case getting all the cubes and coming back for the secrets, but I kind of feel like if I miss one cube bit in an area I'll have to backtrack or warp->forward-track my way to get it because I entered a door and it took me to a whole new place that I want to explore instead. It's conflicting.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kindgineer

I think you're are intended to be lost. I mean, your a little guy who was just bestowed the power of 3D in a predominant 2D world from a Fez.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By weegieanawrench

No, I find the map to be well desinged, and after playing for some time you begin to memorize the areas pretty well. I usually cleared out an area before moving on the connecting cube, getting bits, shards, and keys, and now I'm going to each of the secret areas and racking my brain on how to crack these damn secrets. This goddamn bell is driving me nuts.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshthebear

I feel pretty lost but am enjoying the hell out of just exploring. The map could most definitely be be better.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By weltal

Yeah, I don't feel like I have a great sense of direction in Fez. Really not digging it so far. I'll keep at it though, see if I enjoy it more with more time under my belt.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By JasonR86

I'm just flying by the seat of my pants and hoping for the best. It's worked so far.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Sooperspy

17 cubes in and I just now know what some of the treasure maps are for. Not sure where to go now, though.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By BoG

@Redbullet685 said:

17 cubes in and I just now know what some of the treasure maps are for. Not sure where to go now, though.

This has been my problems. The treasure maps are just another puzzle!

By the way, I'm fine with that.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mnzy

The flying cube tells me to go to the hub all the time, but I just keep on flying through new levels. 
    I hope it gets a little clearer later, though. I left cubes that I could see to enter a door and never came back there. 
    That'll haunt my OCD in my dreams.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vitor

@C418 said:

I hated the map at first but once you get used to it, it's actually the best solution available for such a labyrinthine adventure.

I do wish that the they had 4 separate images for each area though that corresponded to the angle at which the entrances were instead of a fixed one for each. Would have made orientating yourself a little easier.

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By efman

So I think this is what happens when, all of a sudden, a game comes out that couldn't give a damn about holding the player's hands in as much as even remotely creating a somewhat guided path towards the first half of the game. I have as much fallen prey to being lost in an ever-expanding labyrinth of dimension as some of you folks report. I'm torn about what I think of it, because of the design choices it makes. I both find it mildly frustrating and enthralling in matters of the appreciation of what the core of getting absorbed into the unknown entails. I've grown so accustomed to the ways in which games operate that I'm grappling to come to terms with dealing with what games, like Fez, conceptually once were and what I most loved about them at the time. I've gathered that it comes down to an unrelenting level of patience -- bits of pieces of which I've most certainly done away with over the years. The triple-As of the world have altered my personal way of thinking toward games, and Fez has been a wake-up call for me. More games like Fez, please.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By jacdg

@HoM3R said:

Im the kinda player that likes to be cleared all the way before I leave a area. After 5min I felt I was in a area that looked "end game" (like Mario thought us, the more evil the world looks the further you are) and thought I broken away from the intended path. After 10min I already had around 10 paths and they al kept going and giving me new paths without me clearing anything. Spent 10min back tracking and hoping to find a symmetry or logic in the world but its all really random.

So now im trying to be less anal about it and just go along for the ride. The fact that the map shows you completion of a area is great though for my OCD.

I have the exact same "problem" which is way I think I enjoy linear games the most, because you tend to see everything no matter what. I'm only at 8 cubes, but I keep getting distracted by something else, so I never really complete a block entirely before moving on, just taking everything in, sounds, design, gameplay is great, but my gaming OCD spoils the fun a tiny bit, fantastic experience up until now though.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By mracoon

My only complaint about navigation is that it's hard to remember which door leads to which area. I know that doors tell where they go once you're on top of them but it's hassle to get to a door only to find realise it's not where you want to go. If they just put a symbol next to each door (not that the game needs any more glyphs) and the corresponding symbol on the map, it would be so much easier to go where you wanted. 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

This game is an OCD sufferer's nightmare.

spncr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spncr

@mracoon: What I noticed that helps a ton with this problem is that you can see the area you are about to go to in the background. Just rotate the camera around till you see the place you want to go in the background and then you know the door will be on the side you are currently looking at.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#29  Edited By Brackynews

@PrivateIronTFU: I have suffered clinical OCD for 26 years. And while I'm willing to bet you don't know what the hell you're talking about, because people with OCD don't use it as a buzzword, I will say that some of the things in Fez would have bothered my younger self a great deal 20 years ago.

I'm not a compulsive completionist, and I don't feel that it's a completionist's nightmare either.

Loving it.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By itsVASH

shits bananas

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.