Bombcast possible spoiler?

#1 Posted by hughesie27 (191 posts) -

Hi guys, I am moist at the prospect of what this game appears to be. The bombcast and quicklook, along with Jeff's review make this sound like possible GOTY potential?

However in the bombcast they mention that there are QR codes in the game. Isn't this kind of spolerish? Or is it pretty obvious and not really a game changer?

Would hate to think that after all the mystery surrounding the puzzles in this game that they are dishing out solutions...

ps. I realise they say that it shouldn't spoil the game for anyone but I just wanted to gauge exactly how influential knowing this before going into the game could be...

#2 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

If you have ever seen a QR code before in your life you will instantly recognize it, its not hidden in the environment or anything

#3 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

Yeah, it's not much of a spoiler and it's not like the whole QR code parts are masterclass moments of awe in that game. It's more like seeing a QR code and going "Ugh, I probably have to scan this, right?" and then scanning it to reveal a combination of LT RT.

#4 Posted by bkbroiler (1620 posts) -

So you don't even know that this is a spoiler, but you're scared that it possibly could be one? Sheesh.

#5 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

You literally see a huge QR code on a wall, so nothing spoiled.

#6 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I think they spoiled a deal of the games impact. Would have rather learned the true nature of the game on my own. It is spoilers in the same way it would be a spoiler to tell someone that Portal 1 is more than just test chambers. You don't spoil the surprise but the very fact that there is a surprise is a spoil unto itself. That being said it is a videogame podcast and they are going to talk about games. I would have rather not known the true nature of the game before discovering it myself but that does not mean that the crew did anything improper.

#7 Posted by onan (1284 posts) -

@TentPole said:

I think they spoiled a deal of the games impact. Would have rather learned the true nature of the game on my own. It is spoilers in the same way it would be a spoiler to tell someone that Portal 1 is more than just test chambers. You don't spoil the surprise but the very fact that there is a surprise is a spoil unto itself. That being said it is a videogame podcast and they are going to talk about games. I would have rather not known the true nature of the game before discovering it myself but that does not mean that the crew did anything improper.

There are probably 100,000 games out there that have been released, with hundreds released every year at retail or in online stores. Unless you plan on playing and finding games at random, you will always have to encounter some amount of spoilers just to know it's something that might interest you.

Portal was a unique exception. The draw of the core mechanic was so appealing that I would have been happy with just the reality warping gameplay, but they snuck in a ton of unexpected humor and a compelling narrative. I did have a pretty amazing experience not knowing what I was actually getting, but would it have been terrible to know that it was going to be funny too? I don't think it would have.

#8 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Hardly a spoiler. I would have preferred it if I knew what this game is about before I bought it.

#9 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

Don't worry, they reveal a bigger spoiler on this week's podcast.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6415 posts) -

@GioVANNI said:

For which game?

#11 Posted by tsiro (214 posts) -

To be fair, it was kind of crazy first seeing a QR code in Fez. That was one of the moments where I started to realize "oh shit, this game might be really crazy".

But yeah, not much of a spoiler in a puzzle-solving sense. As posters above have said, if you've ever seen a QR code in your life, you'll immediately recognize it.

#12 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@GioVANNI said:

For which game?

For Fez. They reveal an ability that you get in NG+. I wasn't really angry (because I have gotten all 64 cubes), but I was angry at myself for not even fucking knowing that this ability existed and that I never got to use it.

#13 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -

@GioVANNI: Just heard this spoiler this morning. Kinda lame to have spoiled that...

#14 Posted by theimmortalbum (487 posts) -

@zegolf: I just got to it in the bombcast.. bah.. I'm not even to NG+ yet. :(

#15 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (230 posts) -

How important is the information you get from the QR codes? I don't have a phone that can scan them, will I have to keep googling "QR code #7 meaning" or something?

#16 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

There is no special info from the QR code. Might as well google the answer.

#17 Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy (602 posts) -

I have been avoiding most talk about Fez to prevent puzzle solution spoilers, but I was glad to hear this week's "spoiler" (especially because it is not revealed in game.)

#18 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

What they said in that episode did help me along, actually. I had hit a wall of my own design and what they said made me realize I was missing something. Its hard to avoid all hints in the Internet age, but frankly I think Fez was designed with that in mind, to some extant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.