Fez is Absurd - Go Buy it!

Posted by klinkcow (259 posts) -

I honestly don’t know how Phil Fish, creator of

Fez, was allowed to release his game. It’s absurd, but in a great way. You remember Phil Fish right? The man who set the internet on fire with his comments about modern Japanese gaming?

I would hate to rehash what you may have already read or heard about the game, but do yourself a favor and don’t seek out spoilers.What the most recent Bombcast said is totally valid: If you plan on playing this game, try and get through the initial 32 cubes required to “beat” the game. After that the game changes. I can’t say what exactly, but the game does things I’ve never seen in my life. Sometimes it seems like this game was not fully reviewed before being released by Microsoft. The puzzles can be so obtuse and stretched that you WILL need the help of the internet to get everything. There are leaps in logic the game expects you to take. Not that this is a bad thing, it’s kind of a breath of fresh air.

The way games hold your hand through every little detail this generation, it’s surprising a game like Fez can flourish. Maybe we don’t need every element of the game spelled out in a quaint tutorial.

Like I said, I would hate to spoil some of the interesting things you’ll encounter in Fez, so go play it now on XBLA. It’s a fantastic game with an interesting concept, unreal music, and challenging puzzles. I guarantee it’s $10 well-spent.

On a side note, my wife and I met Fez’s creator at last years Fantastic Arcade held at the High Ball. It’s an awesome event where indie developers are in the spotlight for an opportunity to show off their creations to a large crowd of interested people. Phil was a nice guy that seemed genuinely interested in showing us his game. It’s crazy to think how much work has gone into these games for some of these developers.

#1 Posted by klinkcow (259 posts) -

I honestly don’t know how Phil Fish, creator of

Fez, was allowed to release his game. It’s absurd, but in a great way. You remember Phil Fish right? The man who set the internet on fire with his comments about modern Japanese gaming?

I would hate to rehash what you may have already read or heard about the game, but do yourself a favor and don’t seek out spoilers.What the most recent Bombcast said is totally valid: If you plan on playing this game, try and get through the initial 32 cubes required to “beat” the game. After that the game changes. I can’t say what exactly, but the game does things I’ve never seen in my life. Sometimes it seems like this game was not fully reviewed before being released by Microsoft. The puzzles can be so obtuse and stretched that you WILL need the help of the internet to get everything. There are leaps in logic the game expects you to take. Not that this is a bad thing, it’s kind of a breath of fresh air.

The way games hold your hand through every little detail this generation, it’s surprising a game like Fez can flourish. Maybe we don’t need every element of the game spelled out in a quaint tutorial.

Like I said, I would hate to spoil some of the interesting things you’ll encounter in Fez, so go play it now on XBLA. It’s a fantastic game with an interesting concept, unreal music, and challenging puzzles. I guarantee it’s $10 well-spent.

On a side note, my wife and I met Fez’s creator at last years Fantastic Arcade held at the High Ball. It’s an awesome event where indie developers are in the spotlight for an opportunity to show off their creations to a large crowd of interested people. Phil was a nice guy that seemed genuinely interested in showing us his game. It’s crazy to think how much work has gone into these games for some of these developers.

#2 Posted by NOT_MUCH_CHOP (25 posts) -

After listening to the latest Bombcast and ready various posts around the place I'm sold on this. Up until then I would've missed this game completely. Great work gaming community.

#3 Posted by fox01313 (5080 posts) -

They should have put some of the initial bits of the game breaking in the trailer & after playing through the first part of it (getting to new game plus), the game somewhat broke parts of my mind when it got to the new power with the new game plus.

#4 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

I'm working on getting the initial 32 and it's been a blast.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

I think the fact that I know I can't make those types of leaps of logic is drawing me away from the game. If it was something I could solve just by tinkering and intuition, then it would be more attractive. It reminds me of when adventure games frustrate me the most, when you have to get into the developers heads and try to trace their line of logic, even if it's totally nonsense.

#6 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

Yes, this is game is absurd. Don't buy it...

#7 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

It is BANANAS. It left like I was on LSD during the credits and opening of NG+. Batshit.

#8 Posted by dodgyc (70 posts) -

I really hate that I would have to go out and buy a 360 just to play this since it's had so much coverage. I'll just have to wait for the PC release when everyone's stopped talking about Fez and solved everything already...

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Green_Incarnate said:

Yes, this is game is absurd. Don't buy it...

Ok then!
#10 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Be reasonable. Come on. Be reasonable.

#11 Edited by efman (212 posts) -

It accomplishes what it sets out to do to the utmost extent, which is to scratch my brain until it bleeds. I wish this game would've come out in an era in which the internet wasn't as prevalent as it is these days. It would've made it to be such a mystery, waiting to be uncovered by the legions of devotees. I'm convinced there is sooooo much tucked away inside this game that will most likely never be unraveled, if not years from now or something. The thing with the soundtrack? Remarkable and unheard of (no pun intended). Fez is the avant-garde equivalent of video games, and deservedly so.

#12 Posted by plop1920 (451 posts) -

I bought it because of the recent discussion on the bombcast and the hype the crew gave it. I'm close to the 64 cube room so I'll keep going but so far I feel like its just a glorified scavenger hunt. Now if the "twist" at the first ending of the game was that the world was 3-D and could be shifted, that would have been cool. Then again I don't know how much attention I would have payed to the game if it was just a 2-D platformer

#13 Posted by pyromagnestir (4326 posts) -

I will. Stop hounding me. I just have a lot of other games to get through that I've already bought first. Ass. God you're an ass. Plus Phil Fish is a racist. But that's to be expected from a Canadian, I guess... Is he a Canadian? I don't know, but he's a racist so I bet he is.*

*this post brought to you by the letter s. for sarcasm. and seriousness. which is this post? stupid. this post is stupid. I have to let out the stupid sometimes. You can't bottle that shit up it's unhealthy. Seriously this game looks awesome I want it now but I won't let myself buy it yet for dumb reasons and I haven't had a good chance to really dive into anyway even if I had bought it because life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.