Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

I've heard this game has a good number of bugs. Wait to buy?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

Hearing the bombcast has really tempted me into buying the game and I just happen to have 800 points just sitting there in my account. The thing is that Witcher 2 came in the other day and I've been playing that. I rarely play more than one new game at once, but I might be able to make another exception. Should I buy it now despite the bugs or should I just wait for a patch to fix things up? By then I probably would have finished Witcher 2.

TimFReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TimFReilly

Anecdotally, I've not run into any bugs. I haven't completed everything in the game yet but I'm most of the way there.

That said, you can't play two games at the same time, so you may as well finished Witcher 2 first.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jonnyboy

I use a USB stick with my profile on it, and the game is buggy as fuck.

Doesn't matter, buy it now.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By golguin

So as long as I play it from my hard drive the game will work fine?

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shiftymagician

It should be fine. I completed the game on Hard Drive and hardly had any real problems aside from a single crash. It is fine enough for a purchase in my opinion.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I played on a hardrive. The game has framerate issues, and occasionally crashes to dashboard. You normally don't loos progress, since the game constantly autosaves. It's really up to you. The bugs really aren't game breaking, but if you're that type of person, you might wanna wait for PC version ect.

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

I see no reason not to buy it now.  There were only a few times that  it crashed to the dashboard for me and even then it saves so often that I never lost progress.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Buy it.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

I'm waiting as well.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By golguin

I bought the game and about an hour in I went to check the leader boards. When I tried to check friends the game kicked out to the dashboard. Is this the extent of the bugs or do I need to look out for something else?

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Green_Incarnate

That's about it, aside some framerate slowdown.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By byrjun

Just buy it. But beware of owls.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By onan

@golguin said:

I bought the game and about an hour in I went to check the leader boards. When I tried to check friends the game kicked out to the dashboard. Is this the extent of the bugs or do I need to look out for something else?

There's one glitch that has you end up with 33 anti-cubes, so if you dont' already have 32 regular cubes, you won't be able to get the last two achievements (it looks for 32 and 32). Other than that, the bugs are pretty minor. Occasional crashes or lock ups, maybe twice over 10 hours for me. Nothing game-breaking.

It's better you got it early, this game more than many others really benefits from the zeitgeist of everyone playing it and trying to figure it out, and even now you're catching the tail-end of that wave.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had a few problems yeah - random crashes, twice the bumpers stopped working for rotation (though the triggers still worked) which was odd. The killer is the stuttering when transitioning between areas, it kind of ruins the mood. Not game-breaking though, I'd still recommend a buy regardless - and who knows if/when a patch might come out, I haven't heard anything.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By golguin

@onan: @onan said:

@golguin said:

There's one glitch that has you end up with 33 anti-cubes, so if you dont' already have 32 regular cubes, you won't be able to get the last two achievements (it looks for 32 and 32). Other than that, the bugs are pretty minor. Occasional crashes or lock ups, maybe twice over 10 hours for me. Nothing game-breaking.

It's better you got it early, this game more than many others really benefits from the zeitgeist of everyone playing it and trying to figure it out, and even now you're catching the tail-end of that wave.

How do I avoid ending up with 33 anti cubes? I have around 35 cubes total and haven't gone through the 32 cube door because I just arrived at that pink tree land and it seems like a huge area. I've had more crashes to the desktop and some weird wall breaking glitches that may not be glitches.

There are some rooms that are really close up and if you change perspective while in those room while running against the edge you can get caught between the edge of the room and walk out of the room into the void and die. On one occasion I got stuck in the black void and kept falling to my death. I kept spinning the camera until the game finally respawned me back inside the room. It feels like this might be part of the game so I keep trying it in places hoping I'll land on something. If it's not a thing I'll stop since I don't want to get caught in an infinite fall situation again.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It has bugs but nothing too bad, I wouldn't wait.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onan

@golguin said:

@golguin said:

How do I avoid ending up with 33 anti cubes? I have around 35 cubes total and haven't gone through the 32 cube door because I just arrived at that pink tree land and it seems like a huge area. I've had more crashes to the desktop and some weird wall breaking glitches that may not be glitches.

There are some rooms that are really close up and if you change perspective while in those room while running against the edge you can get caught between the edge of the room and walk out of the room into the void and die. On one occasion I got stuck in the black void and kept falling to my death. I kept spinning the camera until the game finally respawned me back inside the room. It feels like this might be part of the game so I keep trying it in places hoping I'll land on something. If it's not a thing I'll stop since I don't want to get caught in an infinite fall situation again.

That sounds like you're intentionally trying to break the game. Why are you doing that? Even big budget games still have that sort of thing happen.

(Glitch happens around 1 minute in.)

Go through the 32 cube door now, as soon as you can. You get to start new game+ and continue from where you left off with the ability to complete new puzzles. You may as well, you can't get all of the pieces if you don't have new game+ (unless you're cheating).

Not sure how you avoid the 33rd cube, but I was able to not get it by not trying to intentionally break the game. Also, I do know it happens when you collect an anti-cube twice, so I just paid attention to what I was picking up. Not that it happened, but if it even looked like I was about to pick something up a second time, I would have left it where it was. Keep a frequent eye on the map. Rooms you finish turn gold when they have no more secrets or cubes in them.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By golguin

@onan said:

@golguin said:

@golguin said:

That sounds like you're intentionally trying to break the game. Why are you doing that? Even big budget games still have that sort of thing happen.

(Glitch happens around 1 minute in.)

Go through the 32 cube door now, as soon as you can. You get to start new game+ and continue from where you left off with the ability to complete new puzzles. You may as well, you can't get all of the pieces if you don't have new game+ (unless you're cheating).

Not sure how you avoid the 33rd cube, but I was able to not get it by not trying to intentionally break the game. Also, I do know it happens when you collect an anti-cube twice, so I just paid attention to what I was picking up. Not that it happened, but if it even looked like I was about to pick something up a second time, I would have left it where it was. Keep a frequent eye on the map. Rooms you finish turn gold when they have no more secrets or cubes in them.

I think I was in the starting town when I noticed a little rat sized shaped hole in the side of a bookshelf. I wondered if I would eventually get the ability to shrink and use smaller doors. I stood next to the small hole it was next to the edge of the wall) and turned the camera to appear on the other side like normal sized holes. That was the first time I appeared to the left side (or right side) of a wall. I was still able to walk a bit and jump without falling off the edge so I figured there might be invisible blocks that lead to secrets. I thought it was possible because of that little hole. I later realized I could do it in other places that didn't have holes.

The reason I haven't gone through the 32 cube door is because I heard you can get some powers that make difficult puzzles extremely easy. I want to go as far as I can until I'm no longer able to solve puzzles.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By onan

@golguin: Er, I wouldn't say extremely, I'd say "possible." NG+ also unlocks a cheat (that's probably what you mean), but they don't tell you how to do it, so there's no real temptation to ruin anything for yourself.

Seriously, go through the door and get it out of the way. All you're going to do is frustrate yourself, as well as forcing yourself to retread old areas multiple times unnecessarily.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.