Maybe Don't Download That New Fez Patch

• 85 results
#51 Posted by L44 (510 posts) -

Fuck.

#52 Posted by Krathoon (219 posts) -

Ah. The wonders of software development.

#53 Posted by Hailinel (22739 posts) -

I feel sorry for those that are affected by the consequences of the patch's problems. I do not feel sorry for Fish, however, and am currently basking in the schadenfreude of his plight.

#54 Posted by BitterAlmond (400 posts) -

Hey, might as well patch 'er up. If it reads as corrupt and the fix doesn't work, just wait until the incoming hotfix arrives and play the save just like before.

#55 Posted by Kosayn (452 posts) -

When I heard about the initial bugginess, I resolved to wait for the patch that makes this game stable before playing it. I hope we get there before the $40k patches have to be individually kickstarted.

#56 Posted by Seastalk (123 posts) -

I doubt it would have cost Polytron $40,000 to push a patch. But sure lets all jump to conclusions based on hear-say.

#57 Edited by Ammut (25 posts) -

@Seastalk said:

I doubt it would have cost Polytron $40,000 to push a patch. But sure lets all jump to conclusions based on hear-say.

40K is a lot, I was under the impression Microsoft allowed 1 free patch then 10k a patch after that. Most recent source I could find after a quick google search shows $40 000 is correct (if you believe what some guy called Tim Shafer has to say...)

#58 Posted by kerse (2041 posts) -

This is how you get the real ending, if you had the full heart piece and then get your file corrupted you can go through the game again and when you go into the heart room after finding all 3 pieces there is a new puzzle, no one has figured it out yet.

#59 Posted by san_salvador (135 posts) -

Maybe hire a professional programmer, creativity is not everything.

#60 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

hahaha "clear the cache"... it's become such a joke at this point

#61 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -

@san_salvador said:

Maybe hire a professional programmer, creativity is not everything.

Renaud Bedard already does all the programming, Phil is the designer.

#62 Posted by Hailinel (22739 posts) -

@ImsumDave said:

@Illuminosopher said:

Karma?

Uh...for what? The internet overreacting to a relatively harmless things he said, that was misinterpreted by most.

Nope, he's still a douche well beyond his GDC and IGF comments.

#63 Edited by jasondesante (586 posts) -

You mentioned Phil eight times in this article. Lets keep it real, stop talking about Phil all the time, theres someone else to bitch about.

I blame Renaud. LOL

ITS ALL YOUR FAULT RENAUD BEDARD

#64 Posted by san_salvador (135 posts) -

@Kowbrainz:

Get a better programmer then. ^^

#65 Posted by Chris (114 posts) -

Makes you wonder what the Microsoft certification process involves if it can't even find a fundamental problem like broken saves.

#66 Posted by dropabombonit (1474 posts) -

Giveth with one hand and taken away with the other

#67 Posted by Gareff (41 posts) -

Ok, I was waiting for this patch before I bought the game. You say that the patch flags up your save as corrupted, but what if you don't have a save yet??? Would the game run AOK?

#68 Posted by AlisterCat (5399 posts) -

Is the patch out in the UK? It didn't prompt me to download anything.

#69 Posted by Y2Ken (971 posts) -

@Eristocrat: That comment deserves to be first.

#70 Posted by Hailinel (22739 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

Is the patch out in the UK? It didn't prompt me to download anything.

Microsoft pulled the patch. It's no longer available for download.

#71 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I'll pick up the game when the patch that fixes everything comes out.

This however should be a lesson to Phil though. Next time Polytron should just release their games on Valve. Look how well it worked out for Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Issac.

#72 Edited by Gildermershina (251 posts) -

Having seen Indie Game the Movie, I empathise with Polytron on this. They messed up, because they lack the resources of a larger company to do full-scale testing themselves, and now because of the way certification works they're pretty much back to square 1 with this stuff.

I am waiting and hoping for a Steam version since I have no 360. Steam's update policy seems far more suited to this kind of game, so they can push a lot of small fixes one at a time, and not break the game with a huge patch all at once.

#73 Posted by Dan_CiTi (2936 posts) -

Well I got the patch and I was fine. Oh well.

#74 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

Fez is a snoozefest of epic proportions. Played for an hour, never touching again

#75 Posted by kayeyeeff (18 posts) -

@Gareff said:

Ok, I was waiting for this patch before I bought the game. You say that the patch flags up your save as corrupted, but what if you don't have a save yet??? Would the game run AOK?

Wanna know the answer to this as well. I was thinking of buying it, but I won't bother if it's going to corrupt my saves.

#76 Posted by spokkeh (14 posts) -

Has there been any news on whether Fez will be introduced to other platforms?

#77 Posted by Fire_Of_The_Wind (166 posts) -

I don't understand what the first paragraph adds to the discussion. Doesn't every developer get upset if their game is broken?

#78 Posted by hollitz (1178 posts) -

Canadian game patches suck.

#79 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@hollitz said:

Canadian game patches suck.

What. So is there any word on when they are going to fix this game? I have points sitting there waiting.

#80 Posted by Brackynews (3966 posts) -

:

...almost assuredly already is.

ALEX Y U MAKE GRAMMAR BUNNY CRY??

@Gildermershina said:

They messed up, because they lack the resources of a larger company to do full-scale testing themselves, and now because of the way certification works they're pretty much back to square 1 with this stuff.

While true that Polytron lacks resources, the fact is that Microsoft itself has pushed out console updates that brick their own hardware. The size of a software team is not related to success, given these complexities.

#81 Posted by Gildermershina (251 posts) -

@Brackynews: My point is, they don't have the ability to QA that a larger developer or publisher has. Had they had better QA resources, and not had to wait weeks on end for Microsoft to certify the patch, they may well have noticed this and not published this patch.

#82 Posted by NoK (296 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

I feel sorry for those that are affected by the consequences of the patch's problems. I do not feel sorry for Fish, however, and am currently basking in the schadenfreude of his plight.

What the hell does this even mean. You are basking in his pleasure at his own misfortune of.....just no no no. Wrong usage.

#83 Posted by FishboneJenkins (18 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass: What's up!!!

#84 Posted by Hailinel (22739 posts) -

@NoK said:

@Hailinel said:

What the hell does this even mean. You are basking in his pleasure at his own misfortune of.....just no no no. Wrong usage.

Hello, grammar nazi.

#85 Posted by AxleBro (786 posts) -

@onan said:

Makes you wonder what their patch testing department does all day when they delay these things for months and then don't even test out the most basic functionality, like, I don't know, if a game completely destroys the save file...

#86 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -

@NoK:

Not that much wrong with that usage, just the final preposition that could have needed a bit more attention:

"[I] am currently basking in the [pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others] of his plight"

But this is not for a graded essay, and I feel 's sentiment was communicated in an efficient and colourful way.

On a more related note - I'm glad they pulled the patch, finally have time for another fez-fix.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.