Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Maybe Go Ahead and Download That Fez Patch After All

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By pr1mus

When i was still in QA the cost of certification for full retail games was about 30000$. If it's the same cost for patches it is ridiculous, doubly so for indie games.

And if microsoft wanted that to become a deterrent to releasing buggy and unfinished product they should've thought about that before making the certification process the joke it is now that in no way prevent unfinished and buggy games to be released.

This is a simple case of "We don't want developers to release unfinished product to our precious customers... unless they pay! Then we don't care."

That said maybe not releasing a buggy game in the first place is also a good idea. Just because the systems in place allow developers to do so and patch afterwards doesn't mean it's ok to do it.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By lightsoda

So it's confirmed for Steam? Eff yes!

Dhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Dhutch

@DeanoXD Saying someone is a 'mouthpiece' isn't insulting to them. It's a normal term for spokesmen and such. Alex was PR at Harmonix I believe, and terms like 'public mouthpiece' and such were probably thrown around all the time on that side of the biz. Again, the word itself isn't derogatory.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@VargasPrime:

I get what you're saying but I used the term in reference to how he's selling out his fans. After keeping tabs on the development of this game for the past few years, Phil seemed to be this crazy, art eccentric who wouldn't settle for anything but perfect. Now that his game's been delivered and works (for the most part), the fact that he isn't willing to spend the extra cash to polish it to the level he had initially intended is (in my mind) selling out, he's saying "fuck it, why bother, it's out, it's done, patching it won't bring in more revenue, it will just create a better product".

I thought he was a perfectionist but obviously money's more important than end product. In the Indie game scene I think that constitutes selling out.

usgrovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By usgrovers

Downloaded the patch last night, my save was corrupted. Luckily I wanted to start from scratch anyway.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#56  Edited By AndrewB

Hey, does this mean that game I might have thought about purchasing before being inundated with games to play might become available on the console I prefer to game on? Because if so... meh. I freaking had way too much to do with my gaming time even before this whole Steam sale business. That's the price you pay for timed exclusivity.

CameraGuyKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By CameraGuyKurt
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Deusx

@AaronChance said:

@Phatmac said:

Man, with so many reports of Microsoft's shitty treatment of indie games on xbox arcade it makes me wonder why so many indie devs ride their hopes on XBLA. This situation is ridiculous and hopefully other devs decide to publish their games on steam or PSN.

Other devs didn't say that their game had to be played from a comfy couch, and computers were only good for spreadsheets. Phil Fish said all that.

I agree, Phil shouldn´t have said that and many PC gamers will not buy his game for that reason. Me included. Still, I understand this issue. I think that if I were in that same position, I wouldn´t pay for the new patch either. It´s too much.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By sjosz

Guess what, Phil Fish, that money they're asking for isn't just a privilege fee. It's easy to make Microsoft look like the bad guy in this, but they want to ensure quality when a patch hits. They're just supposed to assume the developer has tested the patch to the full extent, OR just offer them QA and certification services for free?

EDIT: Additionally, this sends a bad message to the Fez fanbase. Hey guess what, we think it costs too much money to give you the best we can do, so we're just going to settle for good enough. Unfortunate.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By CosmicQueso

@VargasPrime said:

@Gunslinger0130 said:

Last time I checked this was Fish's baby, a piece of art he poured his soul into for years and now he's saying that he's not going to patch it into a solid product because it's too expensive? Fuckin' sellout.

I...

don't think that's what "sellout" means. Not being able to justify spending what he says is "tens of thousands of dollars" to re-certify the game is not something I can really fault him for. They're a small indie developer. They're not Ubisoft or EA. They don't necessarily have a spare $20k to plunk down.

Well he may not be a sellout but he is definitely an inexperienced businessperson. When he signed the deal, he should have considered the costs like these and fully understood what he was signing. It's completely unfair to his customers to shrug his shoulders and say that it isn't his fault he can't support the people that gave him money.

Had he considered these and the other costs, perhaps he would have done something different in his distribution strategy and would have avoided all this mess and supported his customers?

Team Meat managed all this just fine, hundreds of other indie devs have as well, what makes this guy so special that he gets a pass for turning his back on his customers?

asinies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By asinies

I thought PC's were for spreadsheet's though!?

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62  Edited By vibratingdonkey

@Quarters said:

Man...this does not paint MS in a good light. Super lame.

This doesn't pain

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#63  Edited By musubi

And this is why companies hardly patch games because it costs them tens of thousands of dollars. Forcing small developers to say "Hey,sorry fuck you guys." Because they dont want to go bankrupt is fucking insane.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By falling_fast

well uh, here's hoping this game comes to pc soon then? you know, the platform where releasing patches is free

aaronchance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By aaronchance

@Deusx said:

I agree, Phil shouldn´t have said that and many PC gamers will not buy his game for that reason. Me included. Still, I understand this issue. I think that if I were in that same position, I wouldn´t pay for the new patch either. It´s too much.

I agree. I don't think Phil Fish is the bad guy in all this, but he really brought this on himself. Microsoft's policy is absurd, but he's the one who signed up with them, and burned all other bridges to get there.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By deerokus

Maybe he'll now realise that he should have released this on PC, instead of being his arrogant self with regards to his comments about it.

Plenty of much less succesful games have had patches to fix issues like this. It's basic customer service.

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By radioactivez0r

I get what he's saying, and that cost seems exorbitant, but this article comes off a little sympathetic to a guy who just said "we aren't going to fix the patch that broke your game, sorry tough luck, BUY OUR NEXT ONE". Any chance we can get a comment from Microsoft?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jozzy

@MrXBob said:

I love the fact that everyone here seems to be hating on Microsoft as if they're the only people to do this. Sony do it. Nintendo would do it if they allowed as many patches as other systems do.

Fact of the matter is, they cannot let patches fly out for all games whenever the developers decide to do one, for many reasons - the main one being that if something fucks up, it makes the console manufacturer look bad. Patches need testing and certifying, and that costs money to pay people to do.

The Fez patch was tested for what it was made to do - the problem is, nobody seemed to check what happened to older saves, and that is why the corruption error slipped through.

Please, enough of the circle-jerk.

I wanted to say something like this. Steam patching is free because they don't test the patches themselves, Microsoft does. Also, the first patch is free. I'd say though, that if a patch itself needs to be patched, like in this case, Microsoft could just make it free. They can say: apparantly we also screwed up testing your patch so you are allowed to fix it for free.

Microsoft can also allocate some of the profits they make to testing and certifying patches, and make them free. On the other hand, I can understand them not wanting to promote releasing buggy games.

VargasPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By VargasPrime

@Gunslinger0130: I guess I'm not sure how you're getting that impression from what he said. If you read his blog post, he makes it pretty clear that the money is just too much, especially given that they've already released one patch.

If it were a bigger developer/publisher where money was less of an issue, I would possibly share your distaste. But we're talking about a 4-year-old developer consisting of two people. Just because they might HAVE the cash on hand to pay to release the patch doesn't mean that it necessarily makes sense to do it. I trust that Polytron haven't made this decision lightly. The fact that they released the initial patch to fix all the OTHER issues a minority of players were experiencing (and paid the associated costs to do so) shows me that they were committed to trying to make the game as perfect as they could. The fact that they can't afford to patch this unforeseen bug out of the game is just a combination of shitty circumstances: Polytron being a small company, Microsoft's certification policy being overly prohibitive, and a tiny minority of players having crap luck with their saves.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

Wow, the number of people seeming to be on Microsoft's side in this is crazy. Any other problem and you'd all be, "Fuck you, Micro$hit!" One indie developer doesn't want to get boned in the ass by their crazy XBLA fees and everyone switches sides? "Fuck you, indie developer guy! We love Microsoft!"

This is Bizarro World. I'll buy your game, Phil.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@VargasPrime:

Alright, some good points there. I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled to see how this turns out.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Slaegar

@MrXBob said:

I love the fact that everyone here seems to be hating on Microsoft as if they're the only people to do this. Sony do it. Nintendo would do it if they allowed as many patches as other systems do.

Fact of the matter is, they cannot let patches fly out for all games whenever the developers decide to do one, for many reasons - the main one being that if something fucks up, it makes the console manufacturer look bad. Patches need testing and certifying, and that costs money to pay people to do.

The Fez patch was tested for what it was made to do - the problem is, nobody seemed to check what happened to older saves, and that is why the corruption error slipped through.

Please, enough of the circle-jerk.

What's a computer? Console manufacturers are so goofy, they get so excited to announce things like cloud saves when steam has had them for at least a year before, and they work properly. Consoles need to get out of the stone age of gaming.

Phil Fish is a bit of a tool, isn't he?

Maybe the game wouldn't run like garbage is he put it on something with more RAM and GPU power than a graphing calculator.

Autechresaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Autechresaint

Next time don't rush a patch? I mean it's that simple..Microsoft gave them the first one free, there was no need to rush it. There is a reason why microsoft has a price for patches, it's to keep developers from being lazy and just patching whatever and whenever.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#74  Edited By Cirdain
    @VargasPrime

@Gunslinger0130: I guess I'm not sure how you're getting that impression from what he said. If you read his blog post, he makes it pretty clear that the money is just too much, especially given that they've already released one patch.

If it were a bigger developer/publisher where money was less of an issue, I would possibly share your distaste. But we're talking about a 4-year-old developer consisting of two people. Just because they might HAVE the cash on hand to pay to release the patch doesn't mean that it necessarily makes sense to do it. I trust that Polytron haven't made this decision lightly. The fact that they released the initial patch to fix all the OTHER issues a minority of players were experiencing (and paid the associated costs to do so) shows me that they were committed to trying to make the game as perfect as they could. The fact that they can't afford to patch this unforeseen bug out of the game is just a combination of shitty circumstances: Polytron being a small company, Microsoft's certification policy being overly prohibitive, and a tiny minority of players having crap luck with their saves.

Just to add, they don't have cash in hand at all because they only get paid 4 months or so after release.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By iamjohn

@VibratingDonkey said:

@Quarters said:

Man...this does not paint MS in a good light. Super lame.

This doesn't pain

Because they signed a publishing deal with Microsoft three or four years ago and that's not something you can easily get out of?

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By deerokus

@iAmJohn: Well the main reason was that he thinks PCs are for spreadsheets.

Autechresaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Autechresaint

@AaronChance said:

@Deusx said:

I agree. I don't think Phil Fish is the bad guy in all this, but he really brought this on himself. Microsoft's policy is absurd, but he's the one who signed up with them, and burned all other bridges to get there.

quoting this for truth. Phil Fish KNEW what he was getting into when he got in bed with them. He's twisting things to make himself to ALWAYS look the victim. I mean look at that stupid indie game the movie drama. He refused his partner to have a say so as to paint himself as a martyr.

VargasPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By VargasPrime

@CosmicQueso said:

@VargasPrime said:

@Gunslinger0130 said:

Last time I checked this was Fish's baby, a piece of art he poured his soul into for years and now he's saying that he's not going to patch it into a solid product because it's too expensive? Fuckin' sellout.

I...

don't think that's what "sellout" means. Not being able to justify spending what he says is "tens of thousands of dollars" to re-certify the game is not something I can really fault him for. They're a small indie developer. They're not Ubisoft or EA. They don't necessarily have a spare $20k to plunk down.

Well he may not be a sellout but he is definitely an inexperienced businessperson. When he signed the deal, he should have considered the costs like these and fully understood what he was signing. It's completely unfair to his customers to shrug his shoulders and say that it isn't his fault he can't support the people that gave him money.

Had he considered these and the other costs, perhaps he would have done something different in his distribution strategy and would have avoided all this mess and supported his customers?

Team Meat managed all this just fine, hundreds of other indie devs have as well, what makes this guy so special that he gets a pass for turning his back on his customers?

I think you're being overly general here. No one is psychic. He was making a game, he wanted that game published, and Microsoft paid to have it exclusive to their platform. Many other companies, much larger and more solvent than Polytron, have taken the same deal. No one anticipates that their game or patch is going to create a save-breaking bug for <1% of their players.

Maybe, once the exclusivity is up, and the game releases on PC and Polytron can bring in more money, they'll be able to afford to pay the certification costs and patch the XBLA version. I think some people are really presumptuous to think that Polytron are just automatically obligated (and financially able) to pay that cost right now.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Peanut

@Slaegar Fucking...really? You're going to try and shit on the capabilities of consoles that are over half a decade old? Get a grip, kid.

Ett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ett

I liked Fez but it crashed way too many times whole xbox froze up. Polytron shouldn't have release Fez in the state it did. Microsoft should have blocked it form being release. Both parties failed. I hope Polytron learn from this but seeing the comment they are making it doesn't seem so.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many uninformed comments in here about all of the things.

Autechresaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Autechresaint

@LordCmdrStryker said:

Wow, the number of people seeming to be on Microsoft's side in this is crazy. Any other problem and you'd all be, "Fuck you, Micro$hit!" One indie developer doesn't want to get boned in the ass by their crazy XBLA fees and everyone switches sides? "Fuck you, indie developer guy! We love Microsoft!"

Again, Phil Fish knew all these rules and regulations going in. He didn't have to accept Microsoft's money to publish and advertise the game. He could have EASILY picked steam or ps3 or whatever over microsoft.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

@Autechresaint said:

@LordCmdrStryker said:

Again, Phil Fish knew all these rules and regulations going in. He didn't have to accept Microsoft's money to publish and advertise the game. He could have EASILY picked steam or ps3 or whatever over microsoft.

The game has been in development for years, had a load of problems getting there, and this is 20/20 hindsight. Painting Phil Fish as some sort of evil douchebag asshole is incredibly unbalanced.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Cirdain
    @AaronChance

@Deusx said:

He said that one major thing he wished he learned before hand was things about negotiating and contracts. He's stuck... for now
    :)

Big picture mode + Fez
    Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Slaegar

@Peanut said:

@Slaegar Fucking...really? You're going to try and shit on the capabilities of consoles that are over half a decade old? Get a grip, kid.

For the record I don't like slow old people either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Phil Fish is necessarily arrogant, I think he's just completely egocentric. The world revolves around his problems, and he has no shame in going public with that belief. He wants everything his way and his only solution to any obstacles is to look for sympathy (and then snark about how bad he has it).

I guarantee you there have been a hundred other developers who weighed the costs of patching a game with the benefits and said "you know what, let's just move on." But Phil Fish has decided that he needs to go public with his problems.

Even if he is some kind of genius, he seems like a complete irritant to have to work with, from either side of the relationship. "Only a few months left of our exclusivity!" If I was in a position of power I would send him a message that just aid "Don't worry. You won't have to deal with your games being released on our platforms again."

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By iamjohn

@deerokus said:

@iAmJohn: Well the main reason was that he thinks PCs are for spreadsheets.

It's almost like he had this game that he really wanted you to buy on 360 instead of waiting for it to potentially come out on PC or something. I thought PC gamers are supposed to be smart and able to read between the painfully obvious lines.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By GrandHarrier

I regret buying this game and supporting him now. I don't give a flip about your issues with Microsoft or their policies. I want a game that works. Something you have now failed to deliver on.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Cirdain
    @LordCmdrStryker

@Autechresaint said:

@LordCmdrStryker said:

The game has been in development for years, had a load of problems getting there, and this is 20/20 hindsight. Painting Phil Fish as some sort of evil douchebag asshole is incredibly unbalanced.

He said that one major thing he wished he learned before hand was things about negotiating and contracts. He's stuck... for now
    :)
    Owlright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Owlright

@Gunslinger0130 said:

@VargasPrime:

I get what you're saying but I used the term in reference to how he's selling out his fans. After keeping tabs on the development of this game for the past few years, Phil seemed to be this crazy, art eccentric who wouldn't settle for anything but perfect. Now that his game's been delivered and works (for the most part), the fact that he isn't willing to spend the extra cash to polish it to the level he had initially intended is (in my mind) selling out, he's saying "fuck it, why bother, it's out, it's done, patching it won't bring in more revenue, it will just create a better product".

I thought he was a perfectionist but obviously money's more important than end product. In the Indie game scene I think that constitutes selling out.

You make it sound like he's just got 40k that he's sitting on, refusing to patch the game because he wants to keep the money. In all likelihood, he literally just doesn't even have the money to patch the game. I understand Microsoft needs to charge to cover the work they put into releasing patches, but even still 40k is a hell of a lot of money that not many people, particularly indie developers, can just toss around.

Also, in response to people saying why he bothered with XBLA and not Steam, as far as I'm aware he signed with Microsoft quite a long time ago, back when XBLA was a much more viable way to get your indie game noticed, Steam wasn't such a big deal, and a lot of the grievances with how XBLA is run hadn't come to surface much yet.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By CosmicQueso

@VargasPrime said:

I think some people are really presumptuous to think that Polytron are just automatically obligated (and financially able) to pay that cost right now.

Of course they are obligated. If it was EA or Sony or Valve, people would be screaming bloody murder and boycotts.

VargasPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By VargasPrime

@Parsnip said:

So educate. Be a part of a discussion instead of just making it sound like you know more than everyone.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@DeanoXD said:

@Alex: Maybe, but hey i am Canadian so i am inherently over sensitive to manners :)

Hey don't rope the rest of us into this. I'm perfectly fine with this article thank you very much.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Cirdain
    @VargasPrime

@Parsnip said:

So educate. Be a part of a discussion instead of just making it sound like you know more than everyone.

Wow jeez, being a little bit of a prick there :)

From what I'm reading there is no discussion, there are multiple separate discussions and complaints. It gets a bit difficult when there's a mass of uninformed people like this.
    ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ghost_cat

I knew there was a reason to why I held off purchasing Fez!

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#96  Edited By aleryn

I don't blame them at all, Microsoft's certification process and moreso it's costs for patching have long been ridiculous. Especially compared to their competition across the industry. I hope more developers openly complain like this to make MS reconsider their charges, at the least. If nothing else, the huge drop of creativity and diversity on XBLA over the years illustrates this best.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Cirdain
    @CosmicQueso

@VargasPrime said:

I think some people are really presumptuous to think that Polytron are just automatically obligated (and financially able) to pay that cost right now.

Of course they are obligated. If it was EA or Sony or Valve, people would be screaming bloody murder and boycotts.

Wow, wait sorry. I. I don't quite understand what you did there.

Obligation of patching requires money that they don't have.

Were you agreeing??
    VargasPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By VargasPrime

@Cirdain said:

@VargasPrime

@Parsnip said:

Wow jeez, being a little bit of a prick there :) From what I'm reading there is no discussion, there are multiple separate discussions and complaints. It gets a bit difficult when there's a mass of uninformed people like this.

I wasn't really trying to be a prick. His comment didn't contribute anything other than seemingly to indicate that he had some knowledge of the situation that others here don't.

Why post something like that just to let everyone know that you're more informed? Shed some light on the uninitiated instead of just sniping and walking away.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By bhhawks78

Boo fucking hoo my game sold 2 million copies and I released a patch that broke people's saves and I can't fix it for free.

I can't fucking stand Phil Fish so glad I never gave him a damn cent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.