Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Phil's Unnamed Business Partner in IGTM

Kosikutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kosikutioner

So in Indie Game The Movie (saw it tonight at Hot Docs in Canada), there's a business partner who left the project and it led to much stress during the development. I remember on a podcast, I thought the Bombcast, people talking about how it was strange the guy was blurred in the movie, because the person's identity was easily known. But a bunch of google searches is resulting in nothing and I can't find the episode.

So, does anyone know the identity of the previous partner of Polyton and Phil Fish was?

Also, who has seen the movie? There were some glitches in ours, the movie was being streamed via satellite from Toronto, and a huge thunderstorm all night led to some hiccups. I really enjoyed it regardless though. It showed just how eccentric a person seems to be necessary to do something as creative as they have. Or how eccentric they are somewhat forced to be, due to necessary sacrifices.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

The wiki says:

In Indie Game: The Movie, Fish talked about his five year struggle with trying to maintain Polytron Corporation by himself after his lead sound designer Jason DeGroot left. When showing the game at PAX Prime 2011, Fish risked a lawsuit with his former business partner due to unsettled royalty disputes. During development, Fez was completely remade three times due to lack of funding.
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By samfo

When is that film being released anyways?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@iAmJohn said:

During development, Fez was completely remade three times due to lack of funding.

The game was so lacking in funds that it was remade three times? How does that work?

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrFlapjack

I saw it at GDC a couple months ago. The filmcrew was there for a Q&A and said they filmed a bunch of other indie developers that got cut, but will be released as bonus features when the dvd comes out. I'm curious as to who they are.

Kosikutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kosikutioner

@iAmJohn: I'm a total idiot, or that was just added. Sorry.

They mentioned in the Q&A afterwards that it's doing a few more theater releases in the next month, then digital release online shortly after.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iamjohn

@Kosikutioner said:

@iAmJohn: I'm a total idiot, or that was just added. Sorry.

S'all good. I am not one to judge considering I did not know until this thread appeared either.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

@Hailinel said:

@iAmJohn said:

During development, Fez was completely remade three times due to lack of funding.

The game was so lacking in funds that it was remade three times? How does that work?

I'm guessing that legal costs for using stuff he worked on, that he didn't fully own, would have resulted in it being cheaper to simply start over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.