Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FIFA 10

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

FIFA 10 is EA Sports' 2009-2010 edition of the successful football game franchise.

Fabulous Football In FIFA 10!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

FABULOUS FOOTBALL IN FIFA 10!

FIFA is back folks, and better then it's ever been. 
    Every year, football fans around the globe go to war. A war that as been raging on for years and one that may never truly see a victor. Though unlike most wars where there can be no victor, football fans usually get the wonderful spoils of these battles each and every year. Of course I'm speaking of the much debated wars between EA Sport's FIFA franchise, and Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series. Now while many a sports fan will be dedicated to one specific franchise, there are maybe like myself who have fought on both sides of the battleground (the battleground being a virtual football pitch). 

Fine, enough with comparing football games to war. Thought it would be a rather interesting comparison, but not so. Anyway back to the subject, the FIFA vs PES debate as been raging for years now and while Konami were once proud and noble kings of the virtual football kingdom, things have changed to some degree over these past few years. While many a football fan will point towards the simply brilliant FIFA 09 as the turning point where EA's financially successful franchise took the crown from Konami, it in fact started back in FIFA 07. FIFA's fall from fame is best explained by my history of purchasing the franchise, for you see the last FIFA game I had bought until I picked up FIFA 08. Was FIFA 2000, since then I was all about the Japanese developed soccer simulation, at the time by far the best out there despite the true lack of licenses and much presentation overall.  

That was eight years of not buying a FIFA game again, despite the lack of me giving money to EA. The franchise still amazingly did well and often sold more then the Pro Evolution Soccer franchise, why this happened is still debatable but I'd put some of it down to FIFA having licenses for many of the Worlds biggest and most popular football leagues. Something the Konami franchise still lacks to this day, though it's nowhere near as bad as it once was. The folks at EA Canada have done a stunning job with the past few FIFA games and the latest looks to be the best football game ever. In fact they've done such a stunning job that I won't even be considering a purchasing of PES 2010, of which I was not impressed by the demo at all. As much as I once loved that franchise, it's gone downhill fast since appearing on the current generation of gaming consoles.  

Most of the development time as been put in to making sure Wayne Rooney looks as ugly as ever in a FIFA game. (NOT TRUE)
    Most of the development time as been put in to making sure Wayne Rooney looks as ugly as ever in a FIFA game. (NOT TRUE)
    So what about FIFA 10, well I've been spending a while with the demo and can say it's an absolute blast. It's great to see that EA Canada haven't simply tried to copy the overall gameplay feel of the PES games (especially considering it's gameplay that feels dated now). There's a different flow to the way the game plays and animations are looking as stunning as ever. Now while it took me a little time to appreciate the new 360 degrees of player movement, once I did it bought the game to an whole new level. Finally the more precise players can be smarter on the ball and the overall freedom of movement is one of those features that you wonder how football games have survived without it. True it may take a good length of time to appreciate, but once you do you'll not want anything else.  

It should be noted that I spent a scary amount of time playing FIFA 09 both single player and online with it's superb modes. So hearing that Manager Mode as been somewhat improved scares me, considering my love for that mode previously I totally expect to drain even more hours with this newest version. Of course things will never be perfect and the development team have already been speaking about ways they hope to continue improving the game in years to come. It's clear that no one within the team are resting on the satisfaction of being the current kings of the footy virtual scene. Whose the winners overall? Well Electronic Arts for one, but also us gamers who follow the sport and have a great passion for it. We benefit greatly from the determination to make a better game each year with new modes and gameplay. 

There are a number of other new features worthy of a quick mention in this blog, for one the new virtual pro mode feels like it could be a wise development of the Be A Pro formula. How well the game face feature will work is yet to be seen, I have yet to even try that popular EA Sports function for myself. But the ideas found within how you develop your pro sounds like they could offer some reward for those who put in the hours. My Live Season looks to have also received some neat new additions and a lot more player involvement. One cannot forget the many gameplay improvements, to many to discuss in this blog which as already gone on a little to long. Still there's a lot for fans to get excited about, and if the online is as good as it's been in FIFA 09 then we are in for one hell of a treat. If there is one concern with the FIFA franchise I have, it's the possibility of creating a game that can't truly get better in this current generation. A virtual representation that can only go one way, that being downwards. But I have confidence in the development team to not allow that to happen and to keep creating a football game for us all to love.

What new feature are you most excited for in FIFA 10?

Thanks for Reading! 
    Follow me on Twitter (JosephBayliss). 

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

FABULOUS FOOTBALL IN FIFA 10!

Every year, football fans around the globe go to war. A war that as been raging on for years and one that may never truly see a victor. Though unlike most wars where there can be no victor, football fans usually get the wonderful spoils of these battles each and every year. Of course I'm speaking of the much debated wars between EA Sport's FIFA franchise, and Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series. Now while many a sports fan will be dedicated to one specific franchise, there are maybe like myself who have fought on both sides of the battleground (the battleground being a virtual football pitch). 

Fine, enough with comparing football games to war. Thought it would be a rather interesting comparison, but not so. Anyway back to the subject, the FIFA vs PES debate as been raging for years now and while Konami were once proud and noble kings of the virtual football kingdom, things have changed to some degree over these past few years. While many a football fan will point towards the simply brilliant FIFA 09 as the turning point where EA's financially successful franchise took the crown from Konami, it in fact started back in FIFA 07. FIFA's fall from fame is best explained by my history of purchasing the franchise, for you see the last FIFA game I had bought until I picked up FIFA 08. Was FIFA 2000, since then I was all about the Japanese developed soccer simulation, at the time by far the best out there despite the true lack of licenses and much presentation overall.  

That was eight years of not buying a FIFA game again, despite the lack of me giving money to EA. The franchise still amazingly did well and often sold more then the Pro Evolution Soccer franchise, why this happened is still debatable but I'd put some of it down to FIFA having licenses for many of the Worlds biggest and most popular football leagues. Something the Konami franchise still lacks to this day, though it's nowhere near as bad as it once was. The folks at EA Canada have done a stunning job with the past few FIFA games and the latest looks to be the best football game ever. In fact they've done such a stunning job that I won't even be considering a purchasing of PES 2010, of which I was not impressed by the demo at all. As much as I once loved that franchise, it's gone downhill fast since appearing on the current generation of gaming consoles.  

So what about FIFA 10, well I've been spending a while with the demo and can say it's an absolute blast. It's great to see that EA Canada haven't simply tried to copy the overall gameplay feel of the PES games (especially considering it's gameplay that feels dated now). There's a different flow to the way the game plays and animations are looking as stunning as ever. Now while it took me a little time to appreciate the new 360 degrees of player movement, once I did it bought the game to an whole new level. Finally the more precise players can be smarter on the ball and the overall freedom of movement is one of those features that you wonder how football games have survived without it. True it may take a good length of time to appreciate, but once you do you'll not want anything else.  

It should be noted that I spent a scary amount of time playing FIFA 09 both single player and online with it's superb modes. So hearing that Manager Mode as been somewhat improved scares me, considering my love for that mode previously I totally expect to drain even more hours with this newest version. Of course things will never be perfect and the development team have already been speaking about ways they hope to continue improving the game in years to come. It's clear that no one within the team are resting on the satisfaction of being the current kings of the footy virtual scene. Whose the winners overall? Well Electronic Arts for one, but also us gamers who follow the sport and have a great passion for it. We benefit greatly from the determination to make a better game each year with new modes and gameplay. 

There are a number of other new features worthy of a quick mention in this blog, for one the new virtual pro mode feels like it could be a wise development of the Be A Pro formula. How well the game face feature will work is yet to be seen, I have yet to even try that popular EA Sports function for myself. But the ideas found within how you develop your pro sounds like they could offer some reward for those who put in the hours. My Live Season looks to have also received some neat new additions and a lot more player involvement. One cannot forget the many gameplay improvements, to many to discuss in this blog which as already gone on a little to long. Still there's a lot for fans to get excited about, and if the online is as good as it's been in FIFA 09 then we are in for one hell of a treat. If there is one concern with the FIFA franchise I have, it's the possibility of creating a game that can't truly get better in this current generation. A virtual representation that can only go one way, that being downwards. But I have confidence in the development team to not allow that to happen and to keep creating a football game for us all to love.

What new feature are you most excited for in FIFA 10?

Thanks for Reading! 
    Follow me on Twitter (JosephBayliss). 

DaSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DaSoul

I mainly play my soccer games on my pc,so i will be getting Pro Evo,since Fifa on the pc has been absolute crap since Fifa 08

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Baillie

So why was Fifa 07 the turning point? I played PES 06 and 08 a ton more than Fifa 07-09. Fifa 09 is definitely where the turning point was, which is pretty much backed up by when you decided to post this blog.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MachoFantastico
    @DaSoul: That is sadly true, the forgotten side of EA Canada is seems. The PC versions have often been the reworking of the previous console version and I hear this years is the same. I guess they don't feel the PC player base is big enough to worthy the development time which is sad.
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MachoFantastico
    @Baillie: Some of that depends on taste, the reason I pointed out FIFA 07 was simply because it was the first FIFA on this current generation of consoles and that it was the turning point for EA Canada's direction for the recent FIFA games. They have said themselves that it was where the yearly plan for the franchise began, plus like I said it depends on opinion. Of which I think the PES games in this current generation of consoles have been rather poor, haven't been dedicated to one since Pro Evolution Soccer 5 on PC/PS2. Konami have really struggled to bring the franchise to new consoles, while FIFA have taken full advantage of that and it started with FIFA 07. 

But I agree, FIFA 09 was where they took the crown back. But FIFA 07 was where it started to turn around for the franchise and show signs of what it would become. 
    DaSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DaSoul
    @TrueEnglishGent: They tried to do something with Fifa 09 tho, it was no longer a ps2 port,but the gameplay was relatively the same,and now the videos of the Fifa 10 demo,which looks like 09 made a bit brighter have slammed the final nail in the coffin for Fifa for me.The Pro Evo PC games have always looked quite great on the pc,and 2010 has just a gigantic update,however i still feel a bit iffy about the goalies,who tend to be just that roboty.
    bitronix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By bitronix

Based purely on gameplay i'd have to say fifa 09 and now 10 has it by a landslide in my opinion. Problem with PES IMO is that it's been unlcear what direction Konami wanted to take it, fifa already had the modes, just not the gameplay on the previous gen and then this one. With 09 came the gameplay to back it up, wheras PES had the gameplay built up from the previous gen's excellent versions but never the modes (or licences either). In making new modes ie. a much more  filled out multi year manager mode, deeper cup competitions and league seasons, and starting to gain some of the licences for PES the gameplay suffered dramatically. PES 5 for PS2 was the last great Pro-Evo as it was built from the sucess of the previous iterations, by taking it next gen i felt that Konami missed a trick in having such a shallow next gen football game to follow on from their dominance of the PS2 Market. @TrueEnglishGent great blog, thing i was so glad to see was full 360 degree movement at last, add's just that little bit more realism and gives it such a freeflowing feel!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.