who the hell thought a quitting achievement was a good idea?

#1 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

so I've noticed many times now that people will quit whenever they're losing, or even drawing, usually at 90', and I was wondering why this happened so much so I found out that there's actually an achievement for quitting! :@ and even though it's worth 0 points, I still think that it's pathetic that devs encourage players to quit, and what makes it worse is that you don't lose any points if you quit. This made me rage so much because yesterday I was destroying this guy, I was beating him 6 - , and still had the 2nd half to play and the moron quitted!! :@ this really pissed me off because I didn't got my victory!!! :@ I hope this gets fixed for FIFA 11 because is really depressing. :(

#2 Posted by Pie (7055 posts) -

Maybe that dude quit just because you were working him?

#3 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@Pie said:
" Maybe that dude quit just because you were working him? "
it sure was for that, what bothers me is that I didn't got my win and the bastard didn't lose any points for it. :@
#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

There was an achievement in Turok for team killing, it got removed.

#5 Posted by Nelander (177 posts) -

I think this is a case of unintended consequences, they probably put the achievement there to mark/shame people who quit the game to avoid losing.  

#6 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@Nelander said:
" I think this is a case of unintended consequences, they probably put the achievement there to mark/shame people who quit the game to avoid losing.   "
probably, but why make it a secret achievement?  if you want to make people feel ashamed make it a non secret achievement, so we can see before playing if they're quitting bastards.
#7 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I hate stupid achievements like that.  Achievements should be for good things or at least funny things not quiting in the middle of the game. 
#8 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@sopranosfan said:
" I hate stupid achievements like that.  Achievements should be for good things or at least funny things not quiting in the middle of the game.  "
yeah, if you're going to make a worthless achievement, at least make it funny, like the FIFA 08 achievement for making own goals.
#9 Posted by jessej07 (213 posts) -

As someone who is horrible at this game but likes to play online sometimes... I'm way more likely to not quit if the guy destroying me isn't a dick about it.  And by that I mean- he doesn't try to destroy me 6-0 in the first half. 

I realize this is totally unreasonable of me... because when people play online they want to play their best.  But for me I just want to have fun, and I would even consider losing fun as long as I could maybe have some control of the ball at some point... but it seems every game I play the opposing player runs straight at me, knocks me down, doesn't get a penalty, and can just run the field on me.  I try to make it pretty obvious that I'm horrible from the outset (it comes naturally)... so maybe next time your dominating a guy, consider letting him try to get some crosses in or something, he may not quit then.

#10 Edited by cap123 (2477 posts) -
@jessej07:  if someones beating you 6-0 at half time it's your fault not his! the amount of times i've thrown away a 2 or 3 nil lead because ive taken my foot of the gas.. I never stop attacking because my defense is awful :P

I had your outlook before, but when I let a guy back into the game because I felt sorry for him, he was just as likely to scream down the mic 'IN YOUR FACE' or something similar, as a guy who was better than me from the start.
#11 Posted by jessej07 (213 posts) -
@cap123: LOL, I guess that is the flip side isn't it... stupid internet. 

On the whole though... I agree with the OP that it is completely stupid for EA to even in a small way encourage quitting as it really should be penalized.  Good players shouldn't be punished (and have their time wasted) just because they are good... even if I hate how good they are :)
#12 Posted by bartok (2422 posts) -

I thought 0 Achievements were marks of shame. 

#13 Posted by jessej07 (213 posts) -
@bartok: Achievement whores are shameful though... so it's sort of counterproductive.
#14 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@jessej07 said:
" As someone who is horrible at this game but likes to play online sometimes... I'm way more likely to not quit if the guy destroying me isn't a dick about it.  And by that I mean- he doesn't try to destroy me 6-0 in the first half.  I realize this is totally unreasonable of me... because when people play online they want to play their best.  But for me I just want to have fun, and I would even consider losing fun as long as I could maybe have some control of the ball at some point... but it seems every game I play the opposing player runs straight at me, knocks me down, doesn't get a penalty, and can just run the field on me.  I try to make it pretty obvious that I'm horrible from the outset (it comes naturally)... so maybe next time your dominating a guy, consider letting him try to get some crosses in or something, he may not quit then. "
the thing is that the guy was actually good, but it was his fault for trying to create chances with his defense, making tricks with Puyol or Ramos just to give the ball to Torres or Villa at the endline so they could score. :| which lead him to lose the ball in the midfield so I could just attack with 3 forwards against 2 defenders. besides, I'm not a FIFA master,  I can crush most of my friends because they kinda suck, but on XBL I'm just your average FIFA player. =P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.