Cover athlete is... Kaka

#1 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
Cover athlete is Kaka. This is a terrible, terrible choice. This man is past his prime and has not played a decent game in more than a year and a half. I guess Wayne Rooney signed with PES 11... and Messi signed with PES 11... and Drogba signed with PES 11... and Lampard was doing something else... and Christiano Ronaldo was busy... and Thomas Muller was sick... and... 
I can't think of a good reason why they signed Kaka for this. I can think of a million other players who I would sign over Kaka...
#2 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Should have had this on the cover: 
 

#3 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Wait... two FIFA games this year? What's the difference besides the boxart?

#4 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
@Bionicicide: Who said anything about two FIFA games? There is a PES game made by Konami, and a FIFA game made by EA.
#5 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@Bionicicide said:

" Wait... two FIFA games this year? What's the difference besides the boxart? "

World Cup is just international teams and is just the World Cup. The regular FIFA games have international teams plus individual leagues and clubs.
 
EDIT: If that's what you're talking about.
#6 Posted by Piglet (128 posts) -

But Kaka did so well at the world cup......................................................

#7 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
@HandsomeDead: Naw... maybe he should be just in the US. In Europe (and the rest of the world) he is just a better than average player, not a standout like the Wayne Rooneys and Frank Lampards.
#8 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@buzz_killington: I know but it would be so funny if they did put him on there. So many people would be wound up. A lot of people I know wanted them to lose in the World Cup simply because they're Americans so having him on the front of their game would be hilarious.
#9 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -
@FireBurger said:
" @Bionicicide said:

" Wait... two FIFA games this year? What's the difference besides the boxart? "

World Cup is just international teams and is just the World Cup. The regular FIFA games have international teams plus individual leagues and clubs.  EDIT: If that's what you're talking about. "
That helps, man that game can sell overseas if they can get away with that.
#10 Posted by nixatron (126 posts) -

who the hell is Kaka?

#11 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Should have had this on the cover: 
 
"
I Agree, the game is certainly going to sell well internationally no matter who is on the cover. They should put Donovan on there to capitalize on the recent peak in interest for Americans in the sport.
#12 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Only one person, and its Kaka? I mean he's really good but I don't think he deserves it to himself. If I had to pick a person I would put Lionel Messi. I guess they're trying for a Madden type cover from now on.

#13 Edited by deadno0b (10 posts) -

For those confused, FIFA uses different athletes in different regions. So Landon could be on the cover for North America (and only NA). Kaka is just going to be on the cover everywhere, no matter what.  Also, there are usually 3, sometimes 2 athletes, so it wont just be Kaka. 
 
This is assuming they do things like they have done in the past.

#14 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

EA would be smart to put Donovan on the cover.

#15 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

The great man himself updated this on his Facebook: 
 

 
I still think it should have just been him with the flag around him like I posted before. Good to see EA capitalising on the World Cup, bad to see USA lose 2-0 in a friendly last night.
#16 Posted by Ghostiet (5242 posts) -

I'm more concerned by the fact that he looks like Xabi Alonso on that cover.

#17 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@BunkerBuster said:
" Only one person, and its Kaka? I mean he's really good but I don't think he deserves it to himself. If I had to pick a person I would put Lionel Messi. I guess they're trying for a Madden type cover from now on. "
Messi has a contract with PES. And Kaka is definitely good enough to be on there. Easily in the top 3 best players in the world.
#18 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -

Kaka? hahaha! His name is Kaka? lol sorry I was being 12 there for a second. That's a bad choice indeed.

#19 Posted by Baillie (4074 posts) -
@Inf225 said:
" Kaka? hahaha! His name is Kaka? lol sorry I was being 12 there for a second. That's a bad choice indeed. "
Fail post.
#20 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

Muller and Lampard have nothing on Kaka, for starters, past it or not. It's an okay decision, he's at least likeable unlike Drogba, Rooney or Ronaldo.

#21 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

It should have been Eboue. Or Birsa.

#22 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@valrog said:
" It should have been Eboue. Or Birsa. "
I hope that's sarcastic. It's hard to know on the internet.
#23 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Adziboy said:
" @valrog said:
" It should have been Eboue. Or Birsa. "
I hope that's sarcastic. It's hard to know on the internet. "
The Eboue part is pretty funny, you have to admit. But seriously, why is there never a goalie on the cover?
#24 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@valrog said:
" @Adziboy said:
" @valrog said:
" It should have been Eboue. Or Birsa. "
I hope that's sarcastic. It's hard to know on the internet. "
The Eboue part is pretty funny, you have to admit. But seriously, why is there never a goalie on the cover? "
:D 
 
... because casual's don't know about keepers. Ask casual football supporters how may footballers they know - Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney etc etc - and none of them know Cech, Almunia, Hugo Lloris, Hart etc... 
#25 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Adziboy said:
" @valrog said:
" @Adziboy said:
" @valrog said:
" It should have been Eboue. Or Birsa. "
I hope that's sarcastic. It's hard to know on the internet. "
The Eboue part is pretty funny, you have to admit. But seriously, why is there never a goalie on the cover? "
:D  ... because casual's don't know about keepers. Ask casual football supporters how may footballers they know - Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney etc etc - and none of them know Cech, Almunia, Hugo Lloris, Hart etc...  "
I guess you're right... Still, Casillas should be on the cover. Or Klose. I would love to see him on the cover and time is running out for him =/
#26 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Kaka is easily one of the top players in the world and outperforms the ultra overrated rooney and ronaldo. What did they even do during the world cup? Oh right, absolutely nothing.

#27 Posted by Tonic7 (238 posts) -
#28 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@valrog said:
" @Adziboy said:
" @valrog said:
" @Adziboy said:
" @valrog said:
" It should have been Eboue. Or Birsa. "
I hope that's sarcastic. It's hard to know on the internet. "
The Eboue part is pretty funny, you have to admit. But seriously, why is there never a goalie on the cover? "
:D  ... because casual's don't know about keepers. Ask casual football supporters how may footballers they know - Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney etc etc - and none of them know Cech, Almunia, Hugo Lloris, Hart etc...  "
I guess you're right... Still, Casillas should be on the cover. Or Klose. I would love to see him on the cover and time is running out for him =/ "
Again, Advertising, lol. English 'stars' for England (Rooney in this case), American 'stars' for America (Landon Donovan and Carlos Vela for Mexicans) and Germany will have German stars on, I assume, unless their is a European version for the whole of Europe. 
 
But Klose isn't as much of a 'footballer' as Kaka, as they say. His first touch ain't great, ball control ain't great et etc - it's his technical aspect which lets him down. He's also not well known/liked.
#29 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Adziboy:  Yeah, advertising =/ Ruining everything since 1800... something.
 
Oh well, I guess I could always make my own cover.
 ...
Muahahahah
#30 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
" Kaka is easily one of the top players in the world and outperforms the ultra overrated rooney and ronaldo. What did they even do during the world cup? Oh right, absolutely nothing. "
To be fair, none of these stars were great. The best was Ronaldo. Kaka has been injured for a long time, and only a few hints of genius throughout the World Cup. Rooney did nothing. Ronaldo did have a lot of great passes, cross, skills and if he had a better team behind him would've been shining. He also managed a goal albeit an ugly, accidental one. 
 
I'd say players like Iniesta (who PES might have, thinking about it), Ozil, Robben should be on there.
#31 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@valrog said:
" @Adziboy:  Yeah, advertising =/ Ruining everything since 1800... something.  Oh well, I guess I could always make my own cover.  ... Muahahahah "
Yea some people make some real good ones. Cant remember the name but if you search in Google for FIFA11 covers theres some real good ones on there.
#32 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Adziboy said:
" @RsistncE said:
" Kaka is easily one of the top players in the world and outperforms the ultra overrated rooney and ronaldo. What did they even do during the world cup? Oh right, absolutely nothing. "
To be fair, none of these stars were great. The best was Ronaldo. Kaka has been injured for a long time, and only a few hints of genius throughout the World Cup. Rooney did nothing. Ronaldo did have a lot of great passes, cross, skills and if he had a better team behind him would've been shining. He also managed a goal albeit an ugly, accidental one.  I'd say players like Iniesta (who PES might have, thinking about it), Ozil, Robben should be on there. "
Definitely agreed. Everyone expected too much of those superstars. I would pick Sneijder over Robben, though, simply because he is too predictable with his left foot xD
#33 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@valrog:  
 
Ahh yes, Sneijder, or Inter players of the year like Milito or Maicon etc... 
 
I was just listing names of the top of my head :)
#34 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Adziboy said:

" @valrog said:

" @Adziboy:  Yeah, advertising =/ Ruining everything since 1800... something.  Oh well, I guess I could always make my own cover.  ... Muahahahah "

Yea some people make some real good ones. Cant remember the name but if you search in Google for FIFA11 covers theres some real good ones on there. "
Problem would be getting some nice high-res pictures of a desired player. But yeah, I've seen some fanmade covers, they're great.
 
@Adziboy said:

" @valrog:   Ahh yes, Sneijder, or Inter players of the year like Milito or Maicon etc...  I was just listing names of the top of my head :) "

 Yeah, but again, they're not known enough. So... I guess Kaka will do until 2012...
#35 Posted by philipmein (10 posts) -

My pick for the three cover athletes would have been:
 
1. Landon Donovan (one word: Algeria)
2. David Villa (don't know if he has a contract with PES but he kicked butt in the World Cup and his team won the whole thing)
3. Diego Forlan (best player on the most successful South American team in the World Cup)

#36 Posted by LangarN (131 posts) -

Should have been ibrahomovic!

#37 Posted by Creamypies (4059 posts) -

My copy got dispatched today! So pumped!

#38 Posted by rhodric (281 posts) -

what's wrong with kaka? he's right behind messi.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.