Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FIFA 11

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 28, 2010

FIFA 11 is the yearly, best selling football (soccer) game by EA Sports. FIFA 11 features 11 v 11 online multiplayer and the ability to play as a goalkeeper.

FIFA11 Discussion

• 60 results
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By adziboy

Ok, I figured since there isn't much of a FIFA11 community on Giantbomb I'd put all the discussion in one place. This way, if we got any questions about the game or want to find people to play with etc we can ask here.

1st of all - who's getting the game Friday? (or 28th if your American, Italian or Spanish.)

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Djeffers03

Not me. I've seen the error of my ways and finally realised that they keep putting out the same game each year.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By valrog

What I'm wondering is, will the PC version be a PS2 port again? They've been promising us the true "next-gen" FIFA every year now. So I'm not getting it until I get a console to play the superior version.

Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Tonic7

Although I was extraordinarily disappointed by Chelsea's stats in the demo, I'll be picking this game up very soon. The demo played pretty well I felt, and I can't wait to save replays to my hard drive (a feature that is LONG overdue).

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By valrog
    @Tonic7 said:
    " Although I was extraordinarily disappointed by Chelsea's stats in the demo, I'll be picking this game up very soon. The demo played pretty well I felt, and I can't wait to save replays to my hard drive (a feature that is LONG overdue). "
    But Chelsea is terrible at the moment.
    Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tonic7
    @valrog said:

" @Tonic7 said:

" Although I was extraordinarily disappointed by Chelsea's stats in the demo, I'll be picking this game up very soon. The demo played pretty well I felt, and I can't wait to save replays to my hard drive (a feature that is LONG overdue). "
    But Chelsea is terrible at the moment. "
    Terrible? Er, okay. Seems like we won't be getting into objective discussion here. I guess I'll just add that most experts and analysts seems to be picking them to win the title, and they are in the top 4 favored for the Champion's League (righttt?). Loss to Man. City away was too bad, and they did squander plenty of chances. Next weekend vs Arsenal will be a huge test, to be sure. 

Edit: And in regards to their extraordinarily easy schedule to open the season, this past weekend seemed to prove that teams like Arsenal, Man. United, and even Liverpool (their current form is such a travesty, in my opinion) can struggle against "lowly" English sides. Should be an exciting season in the EPL.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valrog
    @Tonic7:  I can't believe how Newcastle and Man. City (Especially Man. City) managed to win, but... Oh well, I still have some hope that Chelsea would beat Arsenal. This is football after all, anything/everything can happen.
    Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tonic7

Yeah, always good to see Newcastle back in the top flight and performing fairly well. Their knocking Chelsea out of the Carling Cup was a surprise, although Chelsea did play a lot of youth in that game.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Fosssil

I liked the demo and feel like they've made some solid gameplay improvements since FIFA 10 (never got the chance to play the World Cup edition, so I can't compare it to that). With that said, I'll probably hold out for a drop in price or an Amazon sale; I've never been able to justify buying an annual sports title on day one.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By adziboy
    @Fosssil said:
    " I liked the demo and feel like they've made some solid gameplay improvements since FIFA 10 (never got the chance to play the World Cup edition, so I can't compare it to that). With that said, I'll probably hold out for a drop in price or an Amazon sale; I've never been able to justify buying an annual sports title on day one. "
    Where do you live? If your in the UK then supermarkets sell it for £24 on release day. 

@Tonic7 said:
    Really? I thought Chelsea's stats were spot on. Which ones didnt you like? 

@valrog said:
    " @Tonic7:  I can't believe how Newcastle and Man. City (Especially Man. City) managed to win, but... Oh well, I still have some hope that Chelsea would beat Arsenal. This is football after all, anything/everything can happen. "
    Man City were tactically superb against Chelsea - didnt let them play one touch football and under Carlo Ancelotti thats all they do know how to play. They effectively killed off Malouda, Anelka and Drogba in the game (or was it Kalou? I cant remember who was playing either wing but anyway) and they were a lot more physical with the likes of Ramires. Essien couldnt do anything because Kompany had a superb game. They were all round perfect. 

@Djeffers03 said:
    " Not me. I've seen the error of my ways and finally realised that they keep putting out the same game each year. "
    Really? FIFA11 is amazing.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Djeffers03
    @Adziboy: Yes, really. Try explain to me what exactly they changed from fifa 10 that warrants me paying another £39.99.
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adziboy
    @Djeffers03 said:
    " @Adziboy: Yes, really. Try explain to me what exactly they changed from fifa 10 that warrants me paying another £39.99. "
    There's quite a few changes which you'd really appreciate if you were a fan of football - if your not, and your playing FIFA11 for the pure entertainment of playing a game, not a game of virtual football, then the changes mean nothing. If you are a big fan of football I'll carry on.
    MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By MjHealy

I have never been a football game guy (apart from the Football Manager series, which I'm a big fan of) but after playing the FIFA 11 demo, I'm pretty sure I will be giving EA my €50 this Friday. Even my PES maniac brother is seeing the light at the end of the FIFA tunnel.

On the topic of the Chelsea-City game, it wasn't that much of a surprise that City won. Man City are a damn fine team and they were at home. Even though they were playing a Chelsea team who have been walking over "easy" opposition since the start of the season. Hopefully my glorious Arsenal can dispatch Chelsea next week.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Djeffers03
    @Adziboy said:
    " @Djeffers03 said:
    " @Adziboy: Yes, really. Try explain to me what exactly they changed from fifa 10 that warrants me paying another £39.99. "
    There's quite a few changes which you'd really appreciate if you were a fan of football - if your not, and your playing FIFA11 for the pure entertainment of playing a game, not a game of virtual football, then the changes mean nothing. If you are a big fan of football I'll carry on. "
    Go on...
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By adziboy
    @MjHealy: If you had Walcott, Van Persie, Fabregas all fully fit, then yes, I can see it happening. Otherwise, not gonna happen. 

@Djeffers03:  
    New career mode. 
    New upgrade system/scouting system for career mode.
    Injury's affect all players including goalkeepers for anywhere from a day to a few months. 
    Can update players yourself to any rating and fix anything you think wrong. 
    New traits and personality system which allows target men/playmakers etc to effectively play how they do in real life. 
    Dribbling and skill moves have both been largely improved on. 
    Totally new passing system to allow more realistic matches and passing. 
    New physics for everything - ball, players, even the net. 
    Shooting has had an overhaul and feels totally different and more powerful. Harder to score goals 1 on 1 which means no ridiculous goals. 
    Pace of the game slowed so nobody can abuse players with speed. 
    Players can now dribble past multiple opponents like they do in real life, if you have the skill to do it. 
    Pro Clubs has a new interface and many new fixes - no custom formations, easier setup of games, 2 ANY's. 
    Be a Goalkeeper mode. 
    Player-Manager Mode/Manager Mode/Player Mode. 
    New virtual pro achievements. 
    New ways of improving virtual pro. 
    New boots/hairstyles/better creation. 
    New creation centre - make teams, kits, badges, players. 
    Keep up to date transfers easily yourself instead of waiting for EA. 
    Add your own chants to the game. 
    Add your own music to the game. 
    New celebrations, interactivity with other players in celebrations, increased atmosphere. 
    New technology to make players look even better. 
    LOADS of new animations, extremely fluid. 
    Crossing now works better with a full range of heading animations which weren't in the game before. Easier to get headers on targets. 
    Set pieces largely improved so harder to score free kicks but easier to get assists from them. 
    The whole jostling/strength has had an overhaul with 360 jostling now. 
    Removed players which were overpowered - Drogba, Ibrahimovic, from being fast and strong. Both significantly slower. 
    No 'ping pong' passing abusers. 
    Keepers have new intelligence. 
    Different types of keeper. 
    New ways of dealing with transfers with inclusion of agents in the game. 
    More international teams. 

Right, that's all I can think of at this moment in time.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Djeffers03
    @Adziboy: That's all well and good but how many times have you heard that "X and Y have been improved this year". It happens each time they release a new game showing that they never really perfect this stuff, they just change minor things that that you barely even notice whilst playing.
    Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tonic7
    @Adziboy: I feel that Chelsea's attack deserves more credit than a mere 81. Sure, sulky Anelka can be ineffective at times, but he has such ability that, when coupled with the more obvious prowess of Malouda (who had such a breakout year last year, and his rating in Fifa 11 is LOWER than his rating was in fifa 08) and Drogba, may put them only below Barcelona in terms of attack. Maybe, though, this is just the way Fifa does its ratings: it rarely, if ever, goes above a 90. I also feel that Chelsea's midfield, especially with the reemergence of Essien, is greater than an 81 (even with the occasional weak link of Mikel). Really, it's all up to them, and I was just a bit off-put when I saw that both Chelsea's midfield and attack were rated lower than Arsenal's (though Arsenal's midfield can be real dynamite). 

Sorry for the long-winded reply, ha. 

Also, in regards to the Man. City games, I was equally impressed by City's tactics - especially with 3 "healthy" defenders. It is no small feat eliminating Essien, and the three pronged attack had a similarly quiet game. I, unlike many Chelsea fans, will not claim that the presence of our talisman Lampard would have helped get us over the hump...though it wouldn't have harmed either, ha. Anyway, good to know there are other EPL fans on Giant Bomb!
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I'm looking forward to adding some really offensive and racially charged chants to the game!

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By kariyanine
    @Adziboy: I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
    sneaky77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sneaky77
    @Djeffers03 said:
    " @Adziboy: That's all well and good but how many times have you heard that "X and Y have been improved this year". It happens each time they release a new game showing that they never really perfect this stuff, they just change minor things that that you barely even notice whilst playing. "
    If you played the demo for 5 minutes you would notice a lot of changes over fifa 10
    angelofioren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By angelofioren

So can you create your own super player this year? I miss creating myself as the best soccer player in the world like I used to do in the old days.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By valrog

I still haven't got my answer. Is the PC version finally the true FIFA? Or is it better to wait to get it on a console?

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By adziboy
    @Tonic7 said:
    " @Adziboy: I feel that Chelsea's attack deserves more credit than a mere 81. Sure, sulky Anelka can be ineffective at times, but he has such ability that, when coupled with the more obvious prowess of Malouda (who had such a breakout year last year, and his rating in Fifa 11 is LOWER than his rating was in fifa 08) and Drogba, may put them only below Barcelona in terms of attack. Maybe, though, this is just the way Fifa does its ratings: it rarely, if ever, goes above a 90. I also feel that Chelsea's midfield, especially with the reemergence of Essien, is greater than an 81 (even with the occasional weak link of Mikel). Really, it's all up to them, and I was just a bit off-put when I saw that both Chelsea's midfield and attack were rated lower than Arsenal's (though Arsenal's midfield can be real dynamite).  Sorry for the long-winded reply, ha.  Also, in regards to the Man. City games, I was equally impressed by City's tactics - especially with 3 "healthy" defenders. It is no small feat eliminating Essien, and the three pronged attack had a similarly quiet game. I, unlike many Chelsea fans, will not claim that the presence of our talisman Lampard would have helped get us over the hump...though it wouldn't have harmed either, ha. Anyway, good to know there are other EPL fans on Giant Bomb! "
    I posted this similar post on the FIFA forums when people were complaining about ratings and stuff: 

The best player in the game, Ronaldo, is rated 90. The lowest is about 30 I reckon. That gives a 60 point margin between the worst and best player in the world - that's not a lot, so every point makes a difference. 

Worst player in the world - 30  
    Average - 60
    Best player in the world - 90 

That's roughly how it works out, anyway. Anything above 70 would be premiership standard. Now, if the BEST player in the world is 90, then 80+ means your world class. 

I dunno about you, but when you put the ratings into perspective, they make much more sense. It means every single one of your players are World Class. Anelka and Malouda, for example, arent as good as the top, top strikers in the world (Otherwise France would've done better :) ) and no where near Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo, Drogba etc. They're all 85+... 

So the best players in the world are 85 - 90; so 82 for Malouda is fine (or at least I think). 

Still, football is largely based on opinion.
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By adziboy
    @creamypies: Chants only work offline, I think, and online you hear your own ones (and if you have none, the default) so no worry of anything offensive online. 

@kariyanine: God damn, doesnt come out till Friday for the UK :( 

@angelofioren: Yes, you can edit any player however you like (except looks, because thats licensed). Although, you can create players and teams so if you want to create a team of super players that look how you want, that is possible.  

@valrog:
     You'll have to try the demo I think.    
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pessh

Ratings in Fifa have always been terrible, hugely biased toward the Premiership.

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Liono88

Got it last night at midnight. Played till 3:00 in the morning.

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By mattjam3000

replays to hard disk? im sold! on Fifa 06 i have over 100 replays saved on my origional xbox!

ScottishGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ScottishGamer
    @valrog: It has been updated.  

However, after playing the Xbox 360 FIFA 11 demo and the PC demo I can tell you that the PC version looks (graphically) pretty much the same (maybe slightly better than the 360), but the gameplay feels like a mix of FIFA 10 and FIFA 11 put together  : /
    chesster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By chesster
    @valrog: 

FIFA 11 PC is using FIFA 10's gameplay engine with added mouse support, LAN,  and some of the new features in FIFA 11 console.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By Davvyk
    @Tonic7 said:
    " Yeah, always good to see Newcastle back in the top flight and performing fairly well. Their knocking Chelsea out of the Carling Cup was a surprise, although Chelsea did play a lot of youth in that game. "
    this guy talks sense....about newcastle anyway
    Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tonic7
    @Adziboy: You're right, that does put it into a good perspective. I think I was examining the numbers more comparatively at face value, most notable against Arsenal (again, whose attack/midfield was higher in the demo anyway). I think a majority of the individual player ratings are spot on, but maybe the composite team rating doesn't align precisely how I'd think it would. Regardless, I look forward to taking Chelsea and some random Irish top flight team all the way to their respective championships. Cheers to Fifa 11. 

Edit: Also, good point on France's performance. I'm not French or anything, but they had been a pre-tournament pick of mine to do fairly well (maybe final 8 or so, I forget where I had them in my mock bracket). Their abysmal performance and complete dysfunction was totally hilarious to watch. I thought Malouda played fairly well though, maybe Ribery's near-absent performances were a bit more shocking, in my opinion.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By samcotts

Anyone know Liverpool's stats? I'm fearing the worst after 15 months of awful football.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By valrog
    @ScottishGamer:  @ScottishGamer:  I see. Thank you, although my friend has played it already and says that it still isn't what it should be. I guess I'll have to try out the demo myself.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By maxszy

Getting it Friday, even thought it came out here today. So pumped for it though! I can't wait!

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By McSmunions

well i had my first disconnect online today. first game i won 2-0, i was Inter and he was Man. U. second game, we pick MLS teams, and i'm leading 3-0 with the Revs against L.A. and he disconnects at the 80th minute. i doubt it will be the last but damn is it annoying.

LangarN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By LangarN

does disconnecters get any sort of penalty ?

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By McSmunions

not too sure, i noticed a DNF% so maybe that goes up.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pessh

Wasn't going to buy it because of the lack of changes but just won £515 on the football so probably will now. Got to love 89th minute winners.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bearshamanbro

Grabbed the World Cup game this summer and it was excellent. Unless they've really expanded on that, I think I'll sit tight for a year as I don't follow club soccer very closely. I'm thinking FIFA 11 was supposed to have a lot more individual characteristics on the players and if that is really good I might pull the trigger. Maybe it's because I'm a scrub but I've always felt most of the players felt largely the same while you're controlling them.  

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By adziboy
    @bearshamanbro said:
    "  Grabbed the World Cup game this summer and it was excellent. Unless they've really expanded on that, I think I'll sit tight for a year as I don't follow club soccer very closely. I'm thinking FIFA 11 was supposed to have a lot more individual characteristics on the players and if that is really good I might pull the trigger. Maybe it's because I'm a scrub but I've always felt most of the players felt largely the same while you're controlling them.   "
    Trade in 10 and World Cup if you got both. FIFA11 has had an amazing reception so far and is definitely worth the money.
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MethodMan008

rooney is the best!!!!!!

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By McSmunions

quick question about the career mode and using the 'Pro' camera view. for some reason when i play away games the Pro camera view will be as if i'm the opposing team, so i'll have to shoot into the camera. has anyone else dealt with this?

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#43  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I bought it but can't play it till Thursday and it's killing me. First FIFA purchase. I like the improvements they made over 10, as much as I did love 10. I can't wait to dig into this.

sheira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By sheira

If the PC version has some kind of controls settings as demo, its a major concern for most PC players who play on keyboard.  Wont be buying it for sure.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
    @Adziboy said:
    "

@Djeffers03:  Be a Goalkeeper mode. 
    Thank god!
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By valrog

So... PES or FIFA?

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By adziboy
    @valrog said:
    " So... PES or FIFA? "
    FIFA is so much better it's stupid. Can't believe Konami made sales this year.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By sixghost

So what settings do you guys recommend playing on? I played like 40 hours of fifa09 over the last 6-7 months, but on auto-passing, semi-crossing, auto-throughball, auto-lob, auto shooting. Does the game get any better if you play on semi or manual? Also, how low does it take to get used to playing on those settings? The few times I've tried to play on manual, it seemed so overwhelming. I'm not even sure how anyone could get used to the manual shooting.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pessh
    @sixghost: Semi.
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By adziboy

I played about 10-20 games before I started getting good at manual. After 30 games (so a season in career mode almost) I was playing competitively online with Manual controls. If not, I suggest semi. Assisted requries basically no skill, really. 

Pro Passing Power -  ON
    Passing -  SEMI
    Shooting - SEMI
    Throughball - SEMI (or manual)
    Crossing -  SEMI
    Auto switching - OFF 
    Lob pass - Manual (much, much better. Try it.) 

Tips for learning Manual: 
    Start with passing. Change it to manual, keep everything the same. Play about 5 - 10 games, JUST passing. No crossing, shooting... just passing. Then change throughball. Now attempt throughballs, passes and the occasional shot (on assisted). Play for about 2 - 5 games. Change everything but shooting to manual (change shooting to semi) and play 5 games. If you arent winning, play another 5. Keep going till you're winning. Finally, change to manual shooting. It's great once you get used to it. Aim for the middle of the goal everytime, then slightly change it once you get used to it. 

Good luck!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.