Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FIFA 12

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 27, 2011

FIFA 12 is set to be EA Sports' 2011 iteration of the franchise, covering the 2011-2012 season and will introduce tactical defending, precision dribbling and enhanced AI.

Pleas tell me how to take away the ball!!!

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By chan05

Hi folks,

I'm a long time FIFA player so I think i understood the basic concepts of FIFA. But Tactical Defending is just a mystery to me. I think its useful against an opponent that likes to pass a lot but since most of the people i play against are very good at dribbling its terrible! The only way to get the ball is to press B, which is rarely succesfull since the defender just takes a very slow step towards the ball, or to basicelly walk your player direclty ON the ball while holding LT. But this seems to be impossible against an opponent who changes direction and uses skill moves all the time.you just never get close enough. In FIFA 11 you could apply pressure by holding down A but i just cant find a way to pressure somebody who is dribbling the ball for a long time in FIFA 12. By pressing A i just contain the opponent but the defender wont apply any actual pressure. So how the hell can I actually take the ball away from the opponent instead of just waiting for him to do a bad pass. Any suggestions would be very welcome since I really want to get a hang of it.

iMort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By iMort

Use B only when you are certain you can make the tackle. Position yourself to take away shooting and passing opportunities. Defense is about positioning and patience.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chan05

@iMort: Yes i know that but what if the opponent just doesnt pass and dribbles towards your goal with one player.this was very effective in FIFA 11 but you could use A to make it a little harder. But it seems there is nothing you can do against that in FIFA 12 since if its 1 on 1 the defender just has nothing to effectively take away the ball.

soli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By soli

if ur having problems adjusting u can still switch to legacy defending which is the old system

soli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By soli

unless ur only playing online that is

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chan05

@soli: Yes but then you are not allowed to play ranked matches.and also i kind of want to learn it. I mean they put it in for a reason. I just dont understand how they intended tactical defending to be used...

soli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soli

yeah ive been having problems with it too, sometimes its just impossible to prevent goals i guess we need more match practice :P

iMort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iMort

@chan05 said:

@iMort: Yes i know that but what if the opponent just doesnt pass and dribbles towards your goal with one player.this was very effective in FIFA 11 but you could use A to make it a little harder. But it seems there is nothing you can do against that in FIFA 12 since if its 1 on 1 the defender just has nothing to effectively take away the ball.

Your best chance really is to keep yourself between him and the goal. Defenders are very good at blocking shots. Have you tried holding RB to have another defender pressure as well?

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chan05

@iMort: Yes i tried that but as far as i know the second defender also just tries to contain the opponent player instead of actually trying to take away the ball. Which is weird since in FIFA 11 when you called a second defender by pressing B the defender actaully treid to take away the ball...

kist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By kist

Good tip for you is to let the cpu AI defend the player in possession of the ball and while your controlling player nearby cut off any possible close passes and gradually creep in on him. The advantage of letting the cpu defend against the guy on the ball is that they will stay with them and quite often make the tackle so you dont have to worry about your timing. Another way is when your holding A and containing the player with the ball hold rb to bring in a second defender that will apply pressure to the player with the ball.

Its all about patience and letting the attacker lose their patience before you and making a mistake

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chan05

@kist: thanks for the tips. ill try this out

SpaceLionFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By SpaceLionFM

I stay in front of them and wait for them to run into me. If not, if they're on a straight run I just run into them. Try that out, it works for me.

adz117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By adz117

If you really want to, when they get in your half you can also hit select, this takes you to play as the goalkeeper and sets your defenders to all be AI and they are pretty damn effective at tackling, just make sure you don't move your goalie out like a madman.

Gareff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Gareff

It took me a while to figure it out and lost looooooads in pre season, but when defending you should remember to jockey the attacker first and when you have them in a good place make your tackle and you should be a lot more successful.

mclakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By mclakers

I know your pain, got my ass handed to me twice today 0-3, and 0-2. Its extremely frustrating, but i know that once i learn, it will be awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.