EA thinks it's cool to rip off Wii owners.

• 73 results
#1 Edited by Baillie (4282 posts) -

As you may or not be aware, FIFA 13 has just recently came out and that usually means it's going to sell a billion copies on all platforms, with that in mind a lot of people like to argue that sports games don't really change from year to year. Well, EA has really justified these arguments with the latest release on the Wii platform. This game is FIFA 12, but with some updated kits and squads. Nothing apart from this has changed, and they're selling it full price.

Pretty bullshit if you ask me. So be warned if you're a FIFA fan and are thinking of getting the latest release on Nintendo's console, you might be in for a shock.

Since people are doing the whole 'Sports games don't ever change' thing, let me reiterate this. I am an avid FIFA player, the game improves every year and it still has on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Whereas on the Wii it is literally the EXACT same but with different kits and players in their current teams. No gameplay improvements, NOTHING. This isn't normal, this is a con.

#2 Posted by Razorlution (186 posts) -

Thats pretty much EA in a nutshell for most of their sports games. Madden is generally a roster update every year, but sells like hot cakes. One just has to roll with the punches and if it annoys one so much, dont purchase their game.

#3 Posted by DarkHeroZark (175 posts) -

"EA thinks it's cool to rip off EVERYONE."

FIFY

#4 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -
#5 Posted by bartok (2582 posts) -

I think it will sell a lot but a billion seems a little high. Also what are you doing playing EA Sports games on a Wii?

#6 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@Razorlution said:

Thats pretty much EA in a nutshell for most of their sports games. Madden is generally a roster update every year, but sells like hot cakes. One just has to roll with the punches and if it annoys one so much, dont purchase their game.

No, you're not getting the point here. I am a sports fan, I buy FIFA every year. When people say that nothing changes, well you're lying, because things do change and we wouldn't purchase them if they didn't. FIFA 13 on the PS3/Xbox 360 are improved games, FIFA 13 on the Wii is FIFA 12 with a change of kits and squads.

#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
#8 Posted by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -

Shameful, really. Not even the menus are different.

#9 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@bartok: I sold my Wii about 2 years ago. It's from the grape vine. Also, of course a billion is a little high, I mean more in the line of 750 million.

#10 Edited by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I don't buy FIFA games on Nintendo Platforms. So I'm good.

#11 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

Dude, don't worry, that's pretty much all their sports games on all platforms every year. Why do you think the keep canceling their NBA game? There other sports franchises would probably have the same fate as NBA Live if there was actually any competition.

#12 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -
@SmilingPig said:
Man... that is harsh. If they did not even put efforts to change the title screen, it is obvious that they did not care about the product at all
#13 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

Aren't all the EA sport games the same each year with just minor upgrades sold at full price. I mean it's kind of hard to blame EA; people seem content to keep purchasing them again and again. If I could just sell the same basic thing again and again, and have tons of people willing to keep buying it, I wouldn't hesitate to keep doing it.

#14 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

Aren't all the EA sport games the same each year with just minor upgrades sold at full price. I mean it's kind of hard to blame EA; people seem content to keep purchasing them again and again. If I could just sell the same basic thing again and again, and have tons of people willing to keep buying it, I wouldn't hesitate to keep doing it.

Please, for fuck sake. Read. I'm not pointing the finger at you, but people are going to keep saying this. No, they aren't. If you actually played the games you would realise there are changes every single year. I'm not current on Madden, etc. I do however play FIFA a lot. Every year there are changes, good ones. Especially since 2009 when they revamped the engine, and ever since the engine has been progressively improved on. New modes have been developed and also improved on. To people who don't play these games, yes it won't look like much has changed, but trust me when I say there is.

FIFA 13 on the Wii, however, is FIFA 12. There is absolutely no change, whatsoever.

#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

Please, for fuck sake. Read.

I find this topic hilarious.

#16 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

Please, for fuck sake. Read.

I find this topic hilarious.

Well, I feel as though I'm literally talking to a brick wall, lol. Thanks for laughing though, it makes me feel even more useless. HA HA HA. :(

#17 Edited by myketuna (1756 posts) -

I think it was bound to happen eventually with the Wii version. I'm sure it sells pretty well, but now that it's going to become obsolete in a couple months, the team probably just said, "Fuck it." Though, that still doesn't make it right.

Also, even though I don't buy any sports games besides the odd Fight Night now and then, I think a lot of people in here think this is what happens with sports games anyway. However, I think it's better to see every yearly sports release as you see the next version of Street Fighter or BlazBlue. It's kind of the same game... but not really.

#18 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

It is kinda cool

#19 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

I'm wondering what they can do to change it up on the wii. I mean I guess they could make you waggle the wiimote differently? Or perhaps I'm being ignorant and there is more to it than waggling a wiimote.

#20 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I don't know. Who cares? Especially this late in the console's life cycle? The Wii is about to be made obsolete shortly, and if you want to rail against somebody, rail against the overburdened FIFA team that already has to create two (three, usually) new versions of their game every year. Sticking a sock in the Wii version, especially with the console's obsolescence doesn't sound like a bad idea.

#21 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

Please, for fuck sake. Read. I'm not pointing the finger at you, but people are going to keep saying this. No, they aren't. If you actually played the games you would realise there are changes every single year. I'm not current on Madden, etc. I do however play FIFA a lot. Every year there are changes, good ones. Especially since 2009 when they revamped the engine, and ever since the engine has been progressively improved on. New modes have been developed and also improved on. To people who don't play these games, yes it won't look like much has changed, but trust me when I say there is.

FIFA 13 on the Wii, however, is FIFA 12. There is absolutely no change, whatsoever.

Hmm fair enough. I guess my question would be, are the changes substantial enough to warrant a full release $60 - $100 product each year, or are they things that really could be handled in a patch and/or DLC?

#22 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I don't know. Who cares? Especially this late in the console's life cycle? The Wii is about to be made obsolete shortly, and if you want to rail against somebody, rail against the overburdened FIFA team that already has to create two (three, usually) new versions of their game every year. Sticking a sock in the Wii version, especially with the console's obsolescence doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Sure, and how would you feel if you only owned a wii and bought FIFA every year? I can bet you there are a lot of people in that position.

#23 Posted by YetiAntics (1493 posts) -

Hate to break it to you, but every developer think it's cool to rip off Wii owners. Take a look at all the shovelware that console has.

#24 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I'm wondering what they can do to change it up on the wii. I mean I guess they could make you waggle the wiimote differently? Or perhaps I'm being ignorant and there is more to it than waggling a wiimote.

I think the bigger problem is you can't really change how the sport is played. It's not like say a Mario Game where you can add a new power-up or something; the rules are pretty much set (there isn't a lot of room for innovation in the gameplay department).

#25 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

Hmm fair enough. I guess my question would be, are the changes substantial enough to warrant a full release $60 - $100 product each year, or are they things that really could be handled in a patch and/or DLC?

It's a good question. Back before FIFA '09, I would have said DLC would suffice, but ever since they overhauled the game, there has been noticeable improvements on all levels, and I feel happy paying full price for a game I thoroughly enjoy year in year out.

#26 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

It's a good question. Back before FIFA '09, I would have said DLC would suffice, but ever since they overhauled the game, there has been noticeable improvements on all levels, and I feel happy paying full price for a game I thoroughly enjoy year in year out.

Well that's good then. I guess my next question would be: where you planning to buy it on the Wii, and do you own another console you can buy it on if you were?

#27 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@Napalm said:

Sure, and how would you feel if you only owned a wii and bought FIFA every year? I can bet you there are a lot of people in that position.

Well, I don't own a Wii and I don't play FIFA, so I don't care?

#28 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix: No, I wasn't planning to buy it on the Wii. I do know a few people who were though, people who aren't really into gaming, but like to play some on the family wii every so often, you know? I told them not to buy it, so they give me £40 each and I rolled in it like EA would have. Mmm, free money.

#29 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

I think it's cool too. Super cool.

#30 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix: No, I wasn't planning to buy it on the Wii. I do know a few people who were though, people who aren't really into gaming, but like to play some on the family wii every so often, you know? I told them not to buy it, so they give me £40 each and I rolled in it like EA would have. Mmm, free money.

Would people who aren't really into gaming need to keep buying the new version each year? I can understand how someone who avidly plays it would be able to notice the differences between the games, but would it really be worth someone, who only plays it "every so often" to keep buying the yearly release?

#31 Edited by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I know you don't care, but thanks for the always insightful posts you bring us here at Giant Bomb.

#32 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@Napalm said:

I know you don't care, but thanks for the always insightful posts you bring us here at Giant Bomb.

It is still doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. At some point in time those who still only own a PlayStation 2 will have to get a PlayStation 3. They can't keep supporting an outdated console/system forever. They may have weighed the options and sales for what they do on Wii and judged that it makes more sense to focus more on the other versions.

#33 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

For real though, this is why _most_ people attempt to do research on products before buying.

Scratch that.

This is when _adults_ research products before they buy them.

I was going to buy one of those Sony 3D TVs, because they're a 24" 1080 LED television for 160 bucks... turns out the fuckers have an absolutely awful failure rate. Saved myself the money.

#34 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

Would people who aren't really into gaming need to keep buying the new version each year? I can understand how someone who avidly plays it would be able to notice the differences between the games, but would it really be worth someone, who only plays it "every so often" to keep buying the yearly release?

Yeah, I see your point, but football is huge, especially everywhere that's not america. A lot of people's favourite thing in their life is football, and whether they don't play games much, a lot will play FIFA. It's like people who only play Call of Duty. What if that came out and it was literally the exact same game but with different coloured guns and characters?

#35 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@Napalm said:

It is still doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. At some point in time those who still only own a PlayStation 2 will have to get a PlayStation 3. They can't keep supporting an outdated console/system forever. They may have weighed the options and sales for what they do on Wii and judged that it makes more sense to focus more on the other versions.

If you can put your hands up and say you can understand this and accept it, then you're just as bad as EA themselves. What should have happened was they just didn't release this game on the Wii.

#36 Edited by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

Yeah, I see your point, but football is huge, especially everywhere that's not america. A lot of people's favourite thing in their life is football, and whether they don't play games much, a lot will play FIFA. It's like people who only play Call of Duty. What if that came out and it was literally the exact same game but with different coloured guns and characters?

As I said, I'm just wondering if people who play the game casually would even notice the changes between the versions. I can understand how someone who plays them a lot would notice, but would someone who only pops it in say once a fortnight be able to tell? Would they need to spend the $60 to get the new version, or would they be better off just playing the version they already own when they want to play a soccer game? I mean, if all you want to do is play a game of soccer, is any of the technical upgrades going to be all that important to you?

Considering so many people brush off the games as just "slightly updated versions of the previous game that could have been handled with DLC" there has to be some truth to that fact if, as you say, the games are actually substantially different and worth a full-retail release each year.

#37 Posted by Baillie (4282 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

As I said, I'm just wondering if people who play the game casually would even notice the changes between the versions. I can understand how someone who plays them a lot would notice, but would someone who only pops it in say once a fortnight be able to tell? Would they need to spend the $60 to get the new version, or would they be better off just playing the version they already own when they want to play a soccer game? I mean, if all you want to do is play a game of soccer, is any of the technical upgrades going to be all that important to you?

Considering so many people brush off the games as just "slightly updated versions of the previous game that could have been handled with DLC" there has to be some truth to that fact if, as you say, the games are actually substantially different and worth a full-retail release each year.

The people who say that though don't actually play the games, you can tell. Everyone who I know that plays it, loves every iteration. This is literally over a hundred people I know personally. The only people I hear complaining about it are people on forums like this or people who aren't into sport anyway.

#38 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

The people who say that though don't actually play the games, you can tell. Everyone who I know that plays it, loves every iteration. This is literally over a hundred people I know personally. The only people I hear complaining about it are people on forums like this or people who aren't into sport anyway.

Yes, but the people who play it casually, do they love every iteration because of the improvements it made to the previous game or because it's another chance for them to play some soccer?

#39 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I think it's cool too. Super cool.

Ice cold.

#40 Posted by DarthOrange (3893 posts) -

EA does this every this every year with all of their sports games! 
:P 
Does the game use any motion controls or do you just play with the Wii remote on its side?

#41 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

The sad part is people who get suckered in on stuff like this will probably blame their system, Nintendo or video games in general. Nintendo could probably benefit from bringing back the seal of quality.

#42 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

But aren't the guys buying it every time the guys you want to make sure buy it every time? I mean they are the guys you can count on. And if you screw them over then you are screwing your major audience over. But if your buying a sports game every year you probably own something other then a Wii.

#43 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

Anyone buying a FIFA game (or any serious sports game) on the Wii probably deserves to get ripped off anyways.

#44 Posted by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

@Fearbeard said:

Anyone buying a FIFA game (or any serious sports game) on the Wii probably deserves to get ripped off anyways.

Great opinion you have their, great job internet.

#45 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Baillie said:

But aren't the guys buying it every time the guys you want to make sure buy it every time? I mean they are the guys you can count on. And if you screw them over then you are screwing your major audience over. But if your buying a sports game every year you probably own something other then a Wii.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand how someone who avidly plays the games would be annoyed if they bought the game on the Wii and discovered it was exactly like the previous year's release. I'm just trying to understand why this guy is getting so angry at this considering he is not buying for the Wii himself. Especially considering a proper version of it is coming out for the Wii-U, so anyone who is going to want to keep buying it each year on a Nintendo console is going to have to buy a Wii-U. If someone isn't going to buy a Wii-U (or any console not a Wii), they're probably fine just playing the version they already own.

Also, I'm still wondering how many of the "hundreds of people he knows who play Fifa" actually care about the updates or just want to play some soccer with the current team rosters.

I'm not saying EA is right in what they're doing, but I just don't see the big problem. It's a game for a dying console: I think the fact they even bothered to change the players is pretty good. I mean, what else can you really improve at the end of a console's lifecycle?

#46 Posted by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

The people defending this kind of gross action deserve to get slapped across the face for being such idiots. Honestly ashamed by most of you duders.

#47 Edited by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

This whole "who cares?" mantra is a shitty way to defend or even respond to such a horrid act by EA's behath. Honestly expected this kind of jaded asshole comment on Neogaf, but not on these boards. Guess I should expect the worst out of you people.

#48 Posted by ThePickle (4167 posts) -

Snoop Dogg would certainly not approve of this.

#49 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

@ThePickle: But the big question is what does Snoop Lion think about it?

I don't play sports games and I would definitely never buy one on the Wii, but that is a seriously fucked up thing for EA to pull. They did something similar with a recent Tiger Woods game on PC didn't they?

#50 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4807 posts) -

At this point, Activision should honestly follow Jim Sterling's advice and change their slogan to "Activision: At Least We're Not EA."

Just...holy shit. The shit EA does/causes these days is just phenomenal. Phenomenal in that a lot of it feels downright sleazy and/or dumb and they just don't give a fuck. Then again, and I hate to be 'that guy,' should they even attempt to give a damn in the first place when the 'mainstream' audience doesn't mind and the 'core' audience will suddenly suffer from memory lapses when they're new favorite EA game comes out?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.