Will you be picking up this game?

• 54 results
#1 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I've thought about it but for some reason I just assume all the FIFAs are the same. I usually get every other year. What about you duders?

#2 Edited by Baillie (4068 posts) -

Most likely mushy. I stopped playing FIFA after 2003, 2004 introduced that off-the-ball control shit, and it was awful. It steadily declined until 2007 when they revamped the engine to what we have today. Ever since I feel as though it's been getting better and better every year. What keeps me playing is career mode with my dad, when I visit him, ultimate team but most importantly Pro Clubs. That shit is extremely fun, and the updates in this new iteration seems a huge step in the right direction.

Anyway, hey at least it's not as derivative as the WWE games, ugh.

Edit: Hey man, I became the first reply to your thread for once. We have come full circle. Shut it down, GB, we're done here.

#3 Posted by winsol (75 posts) -

Possibly, a big factor is whether or not (The) Rangers will be in it, i just don't want to play any other team and i mainly play against my pal. Ultimate team might make it interesting enough to get even without Rangers, guess i'll wait and see.

#4 Posted by Meltac (2000 posts) -

Yes, super stoked about it. 12' was the best in a long time, and it looks like they've made it better in every possible way this year.

#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

I've never really enjoyed sports games and I might take a look at it, but I'm not hearing anything about FIFA 13 which makes me want it more than any of the other football games out there.

#6 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Gamer_152: FIFA has dominated PES last couple of years. Fifa 12 was the watershed moment with the amazing physics engine.

Also day fucking one!

@Baillie: Need any players for your club?

#7 Posted by Levius (1096 posts) -

Yep, every year.

#8 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Gamer_152: FIFA has dominated PES last couple of years. Fifa 12 was the watershed moment with the amazing physics engine.

I'm sure that's great for the people who love Fifa, but if I'm not sold on the mechanics and aesthetic to begin with "amazing physics engine" doesn't really do anything for me.

#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Gamer_152: Well it's a big game changer, just try the demo to see if you like it.

#10 Posted by Baillie (4068 posts) -

@winsol said:

Possibly, a big factor is whether or not (The) Rangers will be in it, i just don't want to play any other team and i mainly play against my pal. Ultimate team might make it interesting enough to get even without Rangers, guess i'll wait and see.

Haha, that's me only just realised that could be an issue for a lot of my friends... Crazy. I don't play as Rangers anyway, I am an Arsenal and Bayern player myself.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Baillie: Need any players for your club?

Well, the friends who I've played with the last few years, have started being dicks and shunned out a friend of mine for being too greedy on the ball - from only playing themselves to playing in a club, it's a little hard to get used to not being as greedy - and well I'm starting to stop enjoying playing with them. Next year I'll be starting a new club, with a tighter nit of friends, and if you're still up for joining when it's out, then you're more than welcome.

#11 Posted by JacDG (2117 posts) -

Yes, put an embarrassing amount of time of money on Ultimate Team this year, can't wait to pick it up, great game to just pick up and play for an hour, which is what I prefer in a game.

#12 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Baillie: Once 13 comes out my mates will be back on again. I mostly play as a CAM try to play like a Silva or a Ozil heaps of through balls to set up the strikers with 1 on 1s.

#13 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Big fat no.

#14 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

I live in England and when I go to the local pubs round here there is usually football on or people talking about football. I played it when I was younger but never been that interested to kept up with it. I've always thought about picking up the latest FIFA or PES to lightly brush up on some names/teams etc just to have some knowledge in small talk conversations at the pub, then the thought goes and the next 201X is on its way, could this year be it?

#15 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@RazielCuts: Try the demo for Fifa 13 when it comes out. If its like the last one it just lets you play 3 minute halfs in quick play with a couple of teams. Gives you a pretty good idea if you like it or not, but the real fun I think is Ultimate Team or Pro Clubs when you get a few mates toghether online and play as a player of a squad, your club gets experience and you level up your character by doing certain actions like "chip the keeper from out side the box" which would give you like 3+ finishing, this is what really got me hooked because I love leveling up stats in RPGS.

#16 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

I've played a lot of FIFA 09 on X360 and I could still play FIFA on PC, even now (and for at least a year or so) that it is the same version as the current console gen and not the PS2 version (which wasn't that great); but I won't be getting it (and PES) because I just don't have patience to play those games (or any sport games) because there isn't any kind of progression (the years when I played Career Mode on FIFA and Master League on PES are far long) and is just based on online or co-op (don't have people to play with locally) gameplay (at least for me) and I have a shit ton of SP/Campaign games to play right now so I'll hold another year without it. Lately I would just mod FIFA and PES in PC at my liking and leave installed along the year without almost touching it (other people would play it, instead of me). But I'll probably try out the demo, as I always want to know the changes every year.

#17 Posted by Sterling (2135 posts) -

I pick up FIFA every year. I am one of "those" gamers. Same with PES, Madden, NCAA Football, NBA 2K, etc.

I really like the FIFA franchise, but man last year PES was so much better to me. I can't wait to see how they compare this year.

#18 Posted by Elyk247 (366 posts) -

Yes. Playing online is always the greatest experience, but I get it because I like soccer and play with friends all the time.

#19 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

Not this year. I got 12 last year and only played for a month or so whereas previously I played a lot of FIFA. I dunno why, I just don't feel it anymore. Plus, the likelihood of one of my housemates picking it up is high so I don't really need to buy it.

#20 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Hell no, I haven't played one since this N64 game that had this bird thing.

#21 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

I'm not big on soccer games, or sports games in general.

#22 Posted by Binman88 (3685 posts) -

Probably, but the PC version. Got 10 and 11 on PS3, and 12 on the PC just blows the PS3 versions away - barely any load times, completely smooth and sharp throughout, zero hitching (or freezing, as my PS3 copies were prone to do).

#23 Posted by MjHealy (1837 posts) -

I was always a PES game since the original but that series eventually put me off thanks to some strange directions, '07 and onwards I guess. After that, I had a few years where I fell out of love with football and stopped watching it. Since the last World Cup, however, I'm right back where and used to be and am back to supporting reliable ol' Arsenal.

In regards to FIFA, I bought '11 and '12. FIFA 11 was the first FIFA game I ever bought myself. There are great games but for some reason they never really hook me in. I love video games. I love watching sports. But for some reason I can never get into sports games. I will be getting my football sim fix this year with the go-to; Football Manager. I'll skip FIFA this year and will enjoy it more-so next year or when we jump into next-gen.

#24 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1355 posts) -

I'm odd in that I play FIFA by using a team of entirely created (celebrity) players. Making them for every new game is arduous so I skipped FIFA 12. Now I'm ready to get up to date, and I think skipping a year on sports games helps make you feel like you've got a significant upgrade instead of minor iteration.

#25 Posted by BleedingStarX (279 posts) -

I only really got 12 for Ultimate Team and we have Xbox Live in work so I doubt I'll buy it, probably just take my profile in on a USB and play it there

#26 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1406 posts) -

Big football fan so a big YES for me =D

#27 Posted by Lnin0 (150 posts) -

Right now it is a dead heat with PES13. I love the FIFA feature set and licenses so much but PES13 demo has redefined gameplay for me. FIFA 12 gameplay is just so unrealistic by comparison. EA is really going to have to prove all the hype about their new AI is not just talk. The FIFA 13 demo will be the deciding factor.

#28 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

More than likely.

@winsol said:

Rangers could be a Rest of the World team I guess, they did it with Juve when they got relegated after the match fixing scandal.

#29 Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) -

Ofcourse

#30 Posted by lufctom (13 posts) -

Love my sports games. Only really play fifa now, so yeah. Not getting it was never really an option.

#31 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

No doubt mate! Football is something important to me so as FIFA

im currently download the demo from the XBLM

#32 Posted by Bollard (5386 posts) -

@Baillie said:

Most likely mushy. I stopped playing FIFA after 2003, 2004 introduced that off-the-ball control shit, and it was awful. It steadily declined until 2007 when they revamped the engine to what we have today. Ever since I feel as though it's been getting better and better every year. What keeps me playing is career mode with my dad, when I visit him, ultimate team but most importantly Pro Clubs. That shit is extremely fun, and the updates in this new iteration seems a huge step in the right direction.

Anyway, hey at least it's not as derivative as the WWE games, ugh.

Edit: Hey man, I became the first reply to your thread for once. We have come full circle. Shut it down, GB, we're done here.

Pray tell me what the new Pro Clubs updates are, cause that's the only mode I care about? (Please say it is that you can search to NOT play teams which don't have any ANY, cause that shit is balls/)

#33 Posted by Baillie (4068 posts) -

@Chavtheworld:

• Online Pro and CPU teammates stats based off real attributes from players in top leagues
  • Tuning to Human GKs… no more fully assisted in Clubs, tuned attributes and accomplishments
  • Maxed out Pros more realistic to real life players. Accomplishments and growth have been tuned
  • Filter to match your ANY preference and human goalkeeper preference
  • AI teammates get better as your Club improves
  • Online Pro progression saved on the server, not save files. Bye-bye hackers!
  • Online Pro for Clubs only: no more offline boosting.
  • Seasons format! No more confusing rank points/leagues. Get to Div 1!
  • Free Agent Hub allows you to play Drop-In Matches, looks at leaderboards etc. before joining a club
#34 Edited by Bollard (5386 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@Chavtheworld:

• Filter to match your ANY preference and human goalkeeper preference

... You may have just sold a copy of Fifa 13 to someone who wasn't at all interested in it before now. (also thanks for the great summary, that seems awesome!)

#35 Posted by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -

I have pre-ordered it and will be getting it on day one. FIFA 12 was my most played game this year by a long long way, and FIFA 13 looks to have fixed all the issues I had with 12. I would go as far to say that FIFA 12 is the greatest sports game ever made, and if FIFA 13 is an improvement on that then well...

Also, the improvements to Ultimate Team and Pro Clubs seem fantastic.

#36 Posted by dropabombonit (1488 posts) -

Been playing the demo a lot and loving it, definitively getting it day one. Also I was reading that the demo code is from Gamescon so the final game will be even better

#37 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Hell yeah, played the demo for 3 hours and have am really liking how much the first touch system has changed the game. Plus they have made pro clubs better putting the games into seasons like the head 2 head seasons setup, have the option to filter out anys, no hackers as your virtual pro is now stored online instead of on your harddrive, can only boost your virtual pro online now instead of tedious boosting offline. Really looking forward to it.

#38 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Baillie: Drop in matches? Does this mean I can join a pro club game when they are already playing? That would be awesom coming off the bench mid game.

#39 Posted by Draugen (635 posts) -

Yup. Getting it in release-day. Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year...

#40 Edited by AdzPearson (201 posts) -

Yeah, pre-ordered. It'll be the first FIFA game I've bought since 2010 South Africa (which I still make use of). I'll be starting the Career Mode with Everton, my favourite club. Really interested in giving that mode a go, especially with the stuff they've added this year. Might dabble with Ultimate Team, too (which a friend is really into).

#41 Posted by san_salvador (145 posts) -

I only play Fifa on PC in Multiplayer. So I wait and see if the multi is as bad as in Fifa 12. If it's better, I will grab it.

#42 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

Even compared to last year, it plays quite different/better. Though I may just end up picking up the vita version instead, I tend to play more sports games on the road/ it's a tad cheaper. I need to see what everyone is saying about that version though.

#43 Posted by FCDRandy (218 posts) -

I got it on PC (only $40 from EA, not sure if it's a limited time offer or what) and it's pretty good. Unlike the other EA Sports series, this one seems to have significant updates year to year, and 13 doesn't seem like any exception.

#44 Edited by ThePickle (4160 posts) -

I'll think about it. I don't really like soccer all that much but several sources tell me that doesn't matter much. And Snoop Dogg plays it and he's go great tastes in everything.

#45 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I'm thinking about getting later. I'm still unsure.

#46 Posted by MX (228 posts) -

I'm really unsure, I have some spare money from my birthday. But probably will wait and see if any friends get it.

Might buy it if we can set up a Giant Bomb pro team.

#47 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1406 posts) -

Got it on PS3 and it's fantastic!

#48 Posted by djslackerjr (22 posts) -

Wasn't going to get it, bought it the day it came out.

#49 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Only on Wii U, I want the on-the-fly gamepad tactics, as well as the graphics.

#50 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Only on Wii U, I want the on-the-fly gamepad tactics, as well as the graphics.

Why on the Wii U? I'm a Nintendo guy but games like Fifa, Call of duty, and so on doesn't appeal to me on the Wii U. I rather get it on the Xbox 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.