Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 23, 2009

A video game adaptation of the 1982 RPG Books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, developed by Big Blue Bubble and produced by Aspyr for the Nintendo DS.

Fighting Fantasy by Aspyr

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Update: First trailer.

Original post:
    I love me some old school dungeon crawiling with simple yet effective fighting mechanics. I may just have to borrow a DS if this one turns out good. Here's the PR e-mail but really, I barely skimmed through it, I just love the screenshots. Yeah, a total graphics whore is me, pixels rule :P

AUSTIN, TEXAS – July 7, 2009 – Aspyr Media and Big Blue Bubble have partnered to launch Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain for Nintendo DS™. Based on the legendary book series by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson, Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is a first-person fantasy role-playing game that takes players on an elaborate adventure through the Firetop Mountain Keep, the scene of the first entry in the renowned literary line. With a highly optimized 3D engine, dynamic lighting and highly detailed, full-frame animations, Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain fully immerses players in the dank, eerie depths of each dungeon and passage.

“Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is our most ambitious Nintendo DS project to date,” said Damir Slogar CEO of Big Blue Bubble Inc. “Driven by the vision of bringing next gen console gaming to the handheld platform, as well as our passion for role playing games, we spent the past few years working on a game that will showcase how this FPSRPG on Nintendo DS can and should look.

Mr. Slogar added, “both Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson shared our vision and helped us recreate the world of Fighting Fantasy. The last step was finding a publisher with the same enthusiasm and Aspyr filled this role perfectly.”

“Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain might be the best looking game that we’ve ever seen on Nintendo DS and the opportunity to work with the likes of Ian Livingstone, Steve Jackson and the talented team at Big Blue Bubble was too good to pass up,” said Ted Staloch, Executive Vice President, Aspyr Media. “The series created by Ian and Steve turned fantasy books into unprecedented interactive experiences. The game that bears the franchise’s name will do the same for RPG gaming on a handheld.”

Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain follows a lone adventurer on his travels through the old Dwarven keep within Firetop Mountain. Now the residence of an evil warlock and hordes of foul creatures, the keep is a mysterious and dangerous place from which no one has returned in many years. As players guide the adventurer through the many passageways and dungeons, they develop the character’s abilities and attributes to suit their play style. Enemies will fall before the player’s brute strength with sword and axe, power of the arcane arts, nimble quickness or custom combinations of skills. A wealth of weaponry, armor, potions and enchantments are equipped through an intuitive drag-and-drop inventory system while helpful (or not-so-helpful) NPCs provide guidance, quests, trade goods and skill training.

The Fighting Fantasy book series launched in 1982 with the first title, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Authors Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson created a revolutionary new idea for the fantasy genre: the reader would become the hero of his or her own fantasy adventure in a story that would be part book, part game. After each paragraph a decision must be made: which way to turn, whether to fight or flee, which mysterious character to approach, and what risks to take. Each choice sent the reader to a different page to discover the consequences of their choice, with each read-through ending either in disaster, or with the discovery of the ultimate goal. To date, the series has seen more than 70 titles published and more than 14 million copies sold worldwide.

Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain for Nintendo DS will be available this holiday season.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Keyser_Soze

"And thou hast entered the highest level of the Caves of Evermore. The room is lighted only by a crystal shard whose light source is a mystery. In the corner you see the Nintendo DS with a copy of The Warlock of Firetop mountain."

Do you dare to pick it up and play the game:

Yes. Turn to Paragraph 8799
    No.  Turn to Paragraph 126785
    NEVER. Close the book.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

/me types Yes.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @Al3xand3r: *Turns to Paragraph 8799*

"You approach the Nintendo DS with trepidation for you fear the curse of Nintendo. As you step forward hesitantly it seems all is not what it seems, the crystal shard once the only source of light in the room transmorphs into a WiiMote and begins attacking you. You duck and weave but there is no escape, you must stay and fight.

WiiMote casts a spell of 'Casuality' on you which debilitates you from being able to play advanced videgames. How will you fight against the monstrosity?"

Defend yourself with a spell of Hardcore. Turn to Paragraph 178657
    Counter-attack with your Master Sword. Turn to Paragraph 786543
    Allow the Wii-Mote to kill you. Turn to Paragraph 378567930977384980098747489.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

But all the answers are a trap :(

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

Wow, I just clicked on this thread.  Love the way this game looks.

Hope it plays a bit like Orcs & Elves, or even a Elder Scrolls / old school dungeon crawler clone...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This kind of reminds me of Orcs and Elves, but not made for a cell phone.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool

I smell potential.  Looks good.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ

Alexander, you've been talking about having to borrow a DS for different games for months now. Isn't it time you took the plunge already? Join Us... Join Us...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

I've said it before, short on cash, can't even afford WIi games I want... If I didn't have that Steam press account I wouldn't game on PC either :(

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " I've said it before, short on cash, can't even afford WIi games I want... If I didn't have that Steam press account I wouldn't game on PC either :( "
    The GFC hit Greece hard, like the rest of us?  Have you considered a life of crime?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#13  Edited By strangeling

I really like the way this looks. 
    The Fighting Fantasy books are great.  I own quite a few, but don't have The Warlock of Firetop Mountain.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond

I think I'm actually starting to get hyped for this one.  It looks so awesomely Heretic / Hexen-esque.

The graphics are really nice for what they are, but I think the pixelly ness is part of the appeal for me.  If they were to put out a version on 360 / PS3 / PC or even Wii I think I'd want them to do some stuff differently.  Otherwise it'd probably end up like Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, when I said I want it on the Wii I meant in all its current retro goodness, perhaps even upscaled rather than redrawn, but still clearly hexen/strife-esque. Heck, I'd probably play this on PC, I was just playing Hexen a few weeks ago... Sure it wouldn't sell. I'd still play it :P

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks

I bought Orcs and Elves DS, so this naturally appeals to me.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By buzz_clik

I've still got all my Fighting Fantasy books out in the garage. I had nearly all of them. I can remember when Beneath Nightmare Keep and Crypt of the Sorcerer came out at the same time, and how wildly differing in quality they were. I can also remember the first time I finished Forest of Doom properly, and the way House of Hell creeped the snot out of me as a kid. Loved it.

I'm def interested in this title, fer sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.