Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 29, 2009

Abandoning the multiplayer co-op gameplay of previous games, The Crystal Bearers is a single-player action-adventure game telling the story of a persecuted race of "Crystal Bearers", capable of magic-like super-powers, trying to survive in a very conservative world.

Final Fantasy CC: The Crystal Bearers TGS Trailer

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

New thread, yay! HOLY SHIT I NEED THIS GAME, it's such a fresh effort from Square:

It has almost no conventional ff stuff and as far as I'm concerned, that's a positive.

Also check out the official JP website which has more stuff than the US & EU one.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

The video quality in that Youtube video is poor, but the game definitely looks a lot better than I thought it might be.  It also looks very different from standard Square Enix, which is a plus.  This makes me a lot more interested in the game than I was before, but why did they have to schedule the release date for December 26th of all days?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Watch it on the JP website (where it blinks new), it's better quality there.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Hooweee is the soundtrack bad. The gameplay itself though looks like it could be a lot of fun, and i'll be following reviews quite closely.  
    Please though Square Enix: If this game turns out good, please unhook Crystal Chronicles from Final Fantasy and make it its own franchise!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Well its not Stars of Arcadia but damned if its not close.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @ryanwho said:
    " Well its not Stars of Arcadia but damned if its not close. "
    Like skies? This review says fans of that game may like this DS game
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some more TGS shaky cam gameplay inside the city. This game needs more coverage, it's coming Dec 26th (wtf?!)...

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sammpoo

meh another fail wii game spin off...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Music samples here. I really like the music, it isn't perfect, but conveys the feeling of adventure, imo, and probably fits the areas rather well. For example I think I'm pretty sure which track fits the scene with the beach. Click the note icon next to the track to listen to the sample. I imagine the other button allows you to download the full song, you'll have to figure out how to make an account on the site for that though.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not even being facetious when I'm saying that I'm a gajillion times more excited about this than FFXII

@sammpoo: You are worse than herpes

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

Wow, this game just keeps looking better all the time.  This has been steadily traveling from "Meh" to "Must Buy!" for a while now.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Even more!

I guess they're ramping up coverage in Japan since release is so close. Sweet.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol @ the ESRB rating, silly as always...

Some female characters wear revealing fantasy outfits and bikinis that expose deep cleavage. During one sequence at the beach, a woman accuses a man of peeping on her in an outhouse changing room (e.g., "How icky of you to watch girls changing!" and "You were peeping?!"). In one mini-game, two women in bikinis try to knock each other off a floating platform using only their hips. Players will also encounter multiple alcohol references during their adventure: wine casks, barrels, and bottles (e.g., "Rainbow Wine") can be found in some locations; a goblin samurai holding a sake-shaped bottle appears to be drunk; and players can visit a winery and uncork kegs and barrels, allowing the wine to pour onto the floor. If players wish to, they may pick up steaming manure and toss it at enemies or the bucolic surroundings.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Cornman89
    @Al3xand3r said:

During one sequence at the beach, a woman accuses a man of peeping on her in an outhouse changing room (e.g., "How icky of you to watch girls changing!" and "You were peeping?!").

Great. A false pervert claim. Japanese game is Japanese, I see. =/

Well, whatever, no stupid anime-inspired broad comedy is going to make this game any less intriguing in my eyes. I still want to know more about how this game plays, because the physics based stuff seems really novel, considering the Wii's control scheme.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just saw those, the second showing the area is beautiful. The trains are ridable too going by screenshots. This game is going to be a joy to explore with that kind of variety and great lively world.

Even more screens!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Cornman89 said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:

During one sequence at the beach, a woman accuses a man of peeping on her in an outhouse changing room (e.g., "How icky of you to watch girls changing!" and "You were peeping?!").

Great. A false pervert claim. Japanese game is Japanese, I see. =/ Well, whatever, no stupid anime-inspired broad comedy is going to make this game any less intriguing in my eyes. I still want to know more about how this game plays, because the physics based stuff seems really novel, considering the Wii's control scheme. "

Given it's prominent role in the game, I suppose it's make or break stuff. I think it should turn out fine though, in fact I do think that it will impress many. it's certainly refreshingly new, which is much appreciated by me when it comes to FF games.  

The Wii has already proved that it can do software driven physics well, so I'm not concerned by the technical aspect of the new mechanic.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

It looks like a very in depth mechanic. You don't get new weapons (but can equip accessories that enhance layle's stats and powers) you can use enemies as such. Grab a cactuar and use needle throw, grab a crossbow goblin and use its crossbow at will, etc. Kinda like Final Fantasy Kirby. On top of that you can just throw shit around, and create reactions based on the enemy properties.  To encourage experimentation it even tracks discovered reactions. There are several seen in the various videos. Then there also are the AI reactions like the wolves having a fascination for bones so they mess with each other if skeletons are around. The boss battle with the demon wall (first and actually optional boss you can skip - and miss the reward I guess) looks ace as you jump and latch on the wall to make the demons attack it for you or something like that. Then you can use layle's powers for all sorts of non-combat actions like a grapple beam to swing as in Metroid Prime 3 and such.  It all looks very in depth with tons of variety, not just a gravity gun wannabe. There's all the variety in environments and how the cut scenes are interactive mini games, like the space harrier sequence in the intro, the piloting of the giant airship to safety, the escape sequence on the chocobo cart, and who knows what other crazy situations that would have been mere cut scenes in a different game. And yay for ridable chocobos too, in a screenshot earlier I think it shows him bumping a cockatrice with a chocobo so maybe you can even damage enemies with it. There's also how interactive the NPCs are, and they have varied actions like the varied environents, like kids playing (soccer, you can join in!), flying kites, whatever else, chocobo riders wandering, making it all look very alive, It's going to be sweet!

Here's one of the videos Linky linked, but in embed form:

BTW that was half the ESRB rating above, here's the other (first) half showing some more variety allowed by Layle's powers.

This is a fantasy-based action game in which players assume the role of Layle, a mercenary "crystal bearer" who uses his telekinetic powers (i.e., the ability to control gravity) to stop an evil villain from destroying the world. Players can explore fantasy worlds, battle numerous creatures, and engage in story-related mini-games (e.g., dodging lasers, flying airships, saving people). The central character can use his telekinetic powers to throw people off cliffs, into warp portals, onto train tracks, or into trash chutes. Guns and swords can also be used to defeat characters. One sequence involves intense machine gun fire against a dragon; cutscenes sometimes depict slapping, punching, and kicking. Consumers may wish to know that the expletives "damn" and "hell" are occasionally used by the central characters.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

It looks like Japanese websites report that a Bon Jovi song will be included in this game. Cool.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

A nice touch, Miyamoto should do the same with his games.

No Caption Provided
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r
    This Dengeki article looks awesome, if only we got some coverage like that in the West. The first two of many pages:
    Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I hope I can still play by connecting my Gameboy Advance lol.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Meowayne
    @Hailinel said:

" Wow, this game just keeps looking better all the time.  This has been steadily traveling from "Meh" to "Must Buy!" for a while now. "

this. Screenshots look amazing. I could do without the scantily clad women and the otaku fanservice, though, ever since Square went SquareEnix they have been shoving that into games to sell more copies and its just sad. 
    Still disappointed about the lack of MotionPlus support, and I do not really look forward to the controls since they stated they were aiming for Classic Controller support and the gesture-stuff was just an afterthought.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Huh? I don't think it has classic controller support at all? M+ wouldn't do much, it mostly uses the pointer. All the issue the controls have is the camera control which is done by the d-pad sadly, though I don't know if you can reduce it in action scenes by locking on enemies. They should have done fps style camera control instead, but oh well, that's a design flaw and nothing M+ would fix if they had the same flawed concept. I love all the impressions I read on GAF. I think many will be disapointed because it's not just Final Fantasy + action battles but rather a game with more emphasis on adventure and exploration and finding new little things and reactions and activities to do, with combat being a smaller part of the experience (though they say there tend to be lots of enemies out in the fields and they can be tough, plus there's all the different ways you can use enemies with tons of reactions to discover which should ensure you spend a lot of time experimenting with battles). The story is linear and short but there's a lot more to take in from the sound of it. Kind of what I liked about FFVII, just exploring the whole map and doing side activities at the gold saucer and such, only with many more things to discover. I guess. I can't wait. I don't imagine it topping charts or review scores but I know I'll love it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Meowayne

Huh? I don't think it has classic controller support at all?

Perhaps, but there was this comparably recent interview with the guy in charge (the "I wanted to mix GTA and Final Fantasy" interview) who said that for a long time, this title was designed for the Classic Controller, like Monster Hunter Tri, and that the pointer functionality was added later. 

And of course MotionPlus would do much. It mostly uses the pointer because it doesn't utilize MotionPlus. If the game is released, go ahaed and count the instances the player character does something that would have been cool with reliable and precise gesture input. It's an action game, and there's a Nintendo peripheral that translates player gestures reliably into the game. Should have been a no-brainer. But that goes for every second game coming out not using MotionPlus.
    Geh, I'm getting angry again.

Edit: I just watched the trailer in the OP for the first time. What a great trailer that is. :D 
    Still more interested in this than FFXIII. Maybe because of the lack of melodrama.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Linkyshinks

Famitu Magazine's 7788 tells me the game isn't that great. They usually lick the arse off anything Final Fantasy.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By demontium
    @Al3xand3r: Im still waiting for reviews on this one, all though I am on the hype train.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Linkyshinks said:

Famitu Magazine's 7788 tells me the game isn't that great. They usually lick the arse off anything Final Fantasy.

But this isn't the FF they know and love. And it's CC which is more of a stain than a boost in popularity really. I expect 7-8 reviews here depending on if the reviewer bothered to play properly, that is explore and find new reactions and things to do, or if he rushed through the main story in 10 hours and called it quits. There will probably be several scores below 6 but hopefully not enough to bring the average down a lot.

@Meowayne said:

Perhaps, but there was this comparably recent interview with the guy in charge (the "I wanted to mix GTA and Final Fantasy" interview) who said that for a long time, this title was designed for the Classic Controller, like Monster Hunter Tri, and that the pointer functionality was added later.

Found the quote and that's not what it implies at all. It's that at the very beginning of the project's design they told the team they don't have to use the remote functions and it's optional if they don't feel it fits, but they quickly loved what it offers and therefor made the pointer the central mechanic.

RPGSite:Did you feel forced at all to make use of the Motion Control with the Wii, or did it come naturally?
    Toshiyuki Itahana:No, actually at the beginning of creating it, we did not direct to deliberately use the Wii functionalities – we actually told the team the motion sensor and pointer were optional methods of control. It was just lucky that the team felt these were the best methods of control and worked well! 

And no I don't think M+ would do much. It's like an FPS without guns, why use it when the main mechanic needs the sensor bar aiming more than anything? I think their controls settled on are flawed but lack of M+ isn't the reason. Also, it's been in development long before M+ was shown.

@demontium #care.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Scooper

I enjoyed CC on the GameCube alot and I do not play Final Fantasy games but CC was just a fun RPG especialy when 3 of my friends were playing at the same time. I don't know if I'd enjoy this style of RPG as much anymore as my tastes have changed in the last several years or whenever the first CC was released but the locations and areas looks really varied, colourfull and interesting. From looking at the screenshots you do get the sence of just wanting to explore which is a cool feeling that's rare in most modern games now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.