Quick Look: Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers

#1 Edited by cstrang (2381 posts) -

First quick look of THE FUTURE!

#2 Posted by animathias (1190 posts) -

This should be very exciting. First Quick Look of the Future!

#3 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

YESSSS! Quick look addiction sated.

#4 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

First quick look of 2010!

I hoped it would be Darksiders or maybe Mass Effect 2 by some miracle

#5 Posted by nick69 (625 posts) -

finally a new quick look

#6 Posted by RoboRobb (1052 posts) -

The future is scary. Hold me.

#7 Edited by watertails (99 posts) -

I have seen the future's quick looks. They load so quickly!

It also reminds me of why I hate streaming. :(

#8 Posted by Shibbles (262 posts) -

The dry spell has ended!

#9 Posted by AdMordem (463 posts) -
@nick69 said:
" finally a new quick look "
In all fairness, the GOTY  winner videos were very much like quicklooks.
#10 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

FUCK THAT GUN!

#11 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

The girls voice is totally Rises voice

#12 Posted by NoXious (1353 posts) -

Heh, whenever I hear the paparazzi I think about Rise from Persona 4 :/
As confusing as every FF game is at the start of a game :p

#13 Edited by ProjektGill (753 posts) -

Haven't even watched the QL but I loved the Twilight reference on the home page. (I did not actually enjoy Twilight just the reference to vampires glittering/sparkling in the sun in that series)

#14 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -

Its a shame that the game after that section becomes extremely lacking. Disappointment of the year

#15 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2056 posts) -

Great late title card.

#16 Edited by Milkman (17029 posts) -

The video breaks in the middle of the ferret chase.

EDIT: Nevermind, no it doesn't. But it won't let me delete this post. The site is all kinds of busted right now. Get the top men on it!

#17 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -

Yeah, heard this is really disappointing. Starts out with some promising mechanics, but really starts to drag after that.

#18 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

CHOCOBOS! 
Or is it CHOCOBOES!?

#19 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Wait, what the fuck? That brunette with a bandana is a guy?

#20 Posted by gewfienewfie (79 posts) -

Aha!  Is this our chance?

#21 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

It looked good, and had some nice set pieces, but it looked like it had some control issues. And it said Crystal bearer   A whoooooool lot. Someone should count that.

#22 Posted by gewfienewfie (79 posts) -

Aha!  Is this our chance?

#23 Posted by TheHT (11524 posts) -

gameplay actually looks pretty fun.

"looks 18 to me dude"

#24 Posted by TheHT (11524 posts) -

gameplay actually looks pretty fun.

"looks 18 to me dude"

#25 Posted by CashBailey (805 posts) -

More girly-men with feathered hair in dopey costumes...

Yep, it's a FF game alright.

#26 Posted by ChrisTaran (1644 posts) -

Whoa, Rise is in this game!!

#27 Edited by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@Toxic said:

" It looked good, and had some nice set pieces, but it looked like it had some control issues. And it said Crystal bearer   A whoooooool lot. Someone should count that. "

I can confirm that. Both the control issues and people saying Crystal Bearer, Layle rarely gets called by his name in the game and like the title implies there are multiple bearers.

-------------------------

Looks like Ryan did not notice that when you pick up objects,characters etc... you can use the pointer to simply shoot them by pressing B. Guess he did not play it for all that long before this quicklook. Combat is pretty scare in this game so that is understandable. The game only really opens up after about a hour.

The mail moogle is odd, you have to lock on to the letter he is carrying and grab that not the moogle itself. 

There were some points in this quicklook where they say things that are relevant to the story later on unknowingly both false and true which was really weird but that would be spoiler territory. 

One thing i did notice here that i did not notice when i played through the game is that one of the more important characters from much later in the game is totally there in the beginning of the game. Ha I still can't believe that that character was actually there.
#28 Edited by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

HAVE YOU EVER GESTICULATED IN A VIDEO GAME BEFORE????

I loved that.

Also caught Jeff's Carmen Sandiego reference.

#29 Posted by WrenchNinja (223 posts) -

What the, did they change the video player? It's all laggy and I can't leave the player paused to load up the whole video.

#30 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3707 posts) -

I might play this.

#31 Posted by Milkman (17029 posts) -

Looks pretty alright. Definitely not much in common with other Crystal Chronicles games or any other Final Fantasy games for that matter.

#32 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@WrenchNinja said:
" What the, did they change the video player? It's all laggy and I can't leave the player paused to load up the whole video. "
Yeah they did, something flash based just like Youtube. It ran extremely poor for me as well and the quality on the medium settings appeared to be quite worse as medium before they changed it. I suppose that they are still ironing out the kinks. 
#33 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2109 posts) -

Where is the point where I get a gun? .... THAT HE THROWS AWAY!

Oh Ryan!  These are most-definitely better than previews and such because it is more like you are a couple of buds I am sitting on the couch with and starting up a game during that crucial period where I either decide whether I am going to enjoy the game or not.

#34 Posted by MoTheHawk (94 posts) -
@ChrisTaran said:
" Whoa, Rise is in this game!! "
I thought you were saying that just because they looked similar, but sure enough, IMDB says Laura Bailey does the voices for both Rise and Belle.
#35 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Its the first non-emo/annoying brat maincharacter in an FF for a long time, was a nice change actually liking the protagonist.

The long corridors are there to hide the loading times as there are none, think Mass Effect elevators.

#36 Posted by Noodles (539 posts) -

Crystal Bears?

#37 Posted by handlas (2700 posts) -

humm watchin teh Darksiders quicklook when the video crapped out and now it's gone ;/.

I'll watch this instead!

#38 Posted by WrenchNinja (223 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" @WrenchNinja said:
" What the, did they change the video player? It's all laggy and I can't leave the player paused to load up the whole video. "
Yeah they did, something flash based just like Youtube. It ran extremely poor for me as well and the quality on the medium settings appeared to be quite worse as medium before they changed it. I suppose that they are still ironing out the kinks.  "
Okay, I'm glad it's not just me. I was looking through the forums to see if there were any other threads about this.
#39 Edited by LiquidS (971 posts) -
@TheHT said:

"looks 18 to me dude"

#40 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

Man, what is up with the Japanese and upskirt shots?

#41 Posted by ezdude (397 posts) -

2010 really is the future, I can now skip forward to any part of a video without having to freaking wait for it to load!!!!!!!!! It is the future!!!!!!!! I remember the time when, accidentally pushing the back space or a link would be the end of times but now it's the future!!!!!

#42 Posted by Phenwah (53 posts) -

Final Fantasy character design is about trying to come up with something so ridiculous that no one would ever cosplay it, just to see if someone tries anyway.

#43 Posted by Pappasman (119 posts) -

the dialog is absolute shonen shit

#44 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5441 posts) -
@WrenchNinja said:
Yes, it streams now.
#45 Posted by Count_Elmdor (35 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" Its the first non-emo/annoying brat maincharacter in an FF for a long time, was a nice change actually liking the protagonist. "
Non-annoying? I beg to differ.  
#46 Posted by killername (29 posts) -

Looks as bad as every other non tactics ff game.

#47 Posted by Addfwyn (1934 posts) -

Looks okay, but the Crystal Chronicles games have never been as interesting to me as the mainstream Final Fantasy games.  It just kinda seems like a bone they throw Nintendo to keep them off their back.  "You wanted Final Fantasy back on the Nintendo?  Here you go, now leave us alone" 

Character design and soundtrack seem good enough at least.  I almost feel like buying it to offset the surprising amount of FF hate I see around here.  

#48 Posted by xyzygy (10030 posts) -

I actually really like the look of this game... I might get it.

#49 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@Phenwah said:
" Final Fantasy character design is about trying to come up with something so ridiculous that no one would ever cosplay it, just to see if someone tries anyway. "
This will probably blow your mind then.

From the Paris Japan Expo that was held back in July i believe. 

#50 Posted by Pet_Assassin (85 posts) -

Man, this steaming business is not working!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.