Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy III

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 24, 2006

Unreleased outside of Japan for 16 years, this remake of Final Fantasy III features newly designed characters, a more robust Job system, new abilities, and Nintendo Wi-Fi support.

So...what is the best way to play this.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So, came across the realization that I never really played this game. Not surprising since the original NES game was never brought state side. So my question is what is the best version of this? I know there was a DS version released but I've heard people say that version is dumb because you have to do stupid social stuff on the DS to unlock some things in the game.

Is the PSP version of the game solid? It would be awesome if it was because then I could get the entire series sans 11,12,13,14 on the Vita.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Probably just recommend playing the pc version. I personally played it on DS when it originally came out.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I enjoyed the PSP version. It's still an archaic NES game at its core, which not every person can deal with at this point (be prepared to do the entire dungeon again if the boss gets ya), but that aside, it's a solid port.

The PC version looks like the PSP version... maybe it's the same, if not better? Might be worth looking into.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I got to the last boss, died and would have had to repeat what felt like two hours of bad gameplay because of where the last save point is. Other than that, I mostly enjoyed my experience. I think the best version is the fan translated NES version. I think it's a little easier actually.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

If the PSP version is basically just a port of the DS version, you could go with that. I have the DS version and it's really good. I mean, obviously, it's a remake of an ancient Final Fantasy game, but they do a good job of updating it in meaningful ways.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By bemusedchunk

Hmmm...I just recently jumped into the 3DS XL camp - does the DS version hold up if played on an XL screen?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

Isn't the PSP version actually cheaper than the PC version at this point?

EDIT: Nevermind, I could have sworn that the PSP version was $10 and the PC was $16. Nope. PSP version is $20 on PSN, $16 on PC.

Gee, this is one expensive-ass NES game.

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

ios version all the way. I actually couldn't finish it because it gets really grindy towards the end but It's pretty much the DS version with full touch controls, and as a person who has played the DS version, it makes it way better. If you have and android phone it is also available on there as well.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By TheBlue

I'm pretty sure they're more or less all the same. Just play it on what you have available and prefer. The social stuff they added doesn't really add much to the game unless you really want to go balls deep and max out everything. I think it's one extra class and a superboss? I would just play the game to check it off the list. The remake definitely adds character to the game but the age old NES difficulty and grindy-ness are still very much present in FF3.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The best way to play Final Fantasy III is to not play Final Fantasy III.

I've only played the DS version, but I imagine the PSP, iOS and PC versions are all just better looking versions of that one.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

DS? The NES original is sort of a different game from its later incarnations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.