Auto-Battle

#1 Posted by cann3dheat (227 posts) -

Say goodbye to grinding.

:)

Too bad you can't auto move. Haha.

#2 Posted by JJ (172 posts) -

I just discovered the Auto-Battle option last night. I thought it was great. I then thought why do I have to move the characters by myself still.

Let me warn you everyone else though. Don't do this when tired and laying down in bed. I woke up to a few lost levels because I feel asleep and my DS ran until it died.

#3 Posted by Philosoma (109 posts) -
JJ said:
"I just discovered the Auto-Battle option last night. I thought it was great. I then thought why do I have to move the characters by myself still.

Let me warn you everyone else though. Don't do this when tired and laying down in bed. I woke up to a few lost levels because I feel asleep and my DS ran until it died.
"
LOL! Been there done that, JJ  ^_^

Yeah Auto-Battle is a feature so necessary for a portable system - or console system for that matter (thinks of FFXII).

#4 Posted by maxx77 (222 posts) -

Hmmm... auto battle? I haven't gotten my copy yet, but if that sounds like what I think it sounds like... then that's great! I'm guessing it's kinda sorta like the auto-battle functionality of FFXII, which I thought was brilliant. If I'm grinding an area and I know that I'll have character X always attack, character Y always heal (when needed), etc... then I would just set up a script so that they'd do all of that automatically for each encounter. Is it something like that in FFIV DS, or am I way off?

#5 Posted by JJ (172 posts) -
maxx777
then I would just set up a script so that they'd do all of that automatically for each encounter.
it is much more simplistic than that. in the abilities menu you can select one command (attack / ability / spell / item / guard / etc ) to use during Auto-Battle. you toggle it on/off in battle by pressing the X button.
no complicated FF XII Gambits. so you can take control if you see things aren't going your way.

#6 Posted by maxx77 (222 posts) -

That's about what I figured. I didn't think it'd have the scripting that was in FFXII, but I imagined it'd be similar. Either way, it's basically the same outcome. The game automatically battles unless you decide to step in. I think that's great! No more holding down the A button until the battle ends. They basically just said "we'll hold down A for you." Sounds good to me. :)

#7 Posted by JJ (172 posts) -

Having the game "hold down A" for you. Is awesome. Especially if you remember the game inside and out. You know what the weaknesses are of the bosses and enemies so you all you have to do is set it up.

If they remake FF VI like this it better include Auto-Battle.

#8 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Yeah, one of the best features in the game right there.

#9 Posted by pikastar (95 posts) -

The auto battle is great to grind a few levels before moving on. It is a lot faster then manually giving commands. And I like that you can switch it off and on with just a push of a button. That way you can throw in a quick heal, skill, or magic attack without difficulty.

#10 Posted by Moridin (714 posts) -

Also, just to throw it out there - the L button on the DS counts as another A button. One handed play! I ate dinner tonight while playing... I felt like an uber nerd, but I was proud.

#11 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
JJ said:
"Having the game "hold down A" for you. Is awesome. Especially if you remember the game inside and out. You know what the weaknesses are of the bosses and enemies so you all you have to do is set it up.

If they remake FF VI like this it better include Auto-Battle.
"
I've been trying to think of a way around this...but holding the button doesn't do it. It has to be continuously pressed. =/

Also, I just sold FF VI Advance today to buy this. =S I was really desperate for a DS game and remembered that this was out....

Moridin said:
"Also, just to throw it out there - the L button on the DS counts as another A button. One handed play! I ate dinner tonight while playing... I felt like an uber nerd, but I was proud.
"
I eat and play video games all the time.... =P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.