Can you start at IV ??

#1 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

I've recently picked up a DSi and saw that Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV are both on the DS. I've never played a FF game before and was wondering if I could start on either of these games without playing the others. If I can is it better to start on III or IV?? IV has higher reviews it looks like.  
 
Thanks :) 

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Doesn't matter what order you go in really.  Both are sorta fun.  I played 3 on the DS it was fine and all just dont think I can get into a final fantasy type game anymore.

#3 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

Final Fantasy games, for the most part, have completely separate stories and universes, so you can pretty much start on any Final Fantasy and not feel like you're missing out on any important story from not playing the previous ones.

#4 Posted by gamefreak9 (2344 posts) -

4 was good, 5 okay, 6-9 amazing, 10 was good, 12 okay, 13 okay

#5 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@gamefreak9 said:
" 4 was good, 5 okay, 6-9 amazing, 10 was good, 12 okay, 13 okay "
A debate on this could go on for a long time. For example, my favourite was XII and X.
#6 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -
@iizcallum said:
" Final Fantasy games, for the most part, have completely separate stories and universes, so you can pretty much start on any Final Fantasy and not feel like you're missing out on any important story from not playing the previous ones. "
Oh perfect, thanks for that. Guess I'll go try IV then as it's seems a bit better than III. 
#7 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@dbz1995 said:
" @gamefreak9 said:
" 4 was good, 5 okay, 6-9 amazing, 10 was good, 12 okay, 13 okay "
A debate on this could go on for a long time. For example, my favourite was XII and X. "
VIII and X for me. Despised VII.
#8 Posted by Sargus (723 posts) -
@Niall_Sg1 said:
" @iizcallum said:
" Final Fantasy games, for the most part, have completely separate stories and universes, so you can pretty much start on any Final Fantasy and not feel like you're missing out on any important story from not playing the previous ones. "
Oh perfect, thanks for that. Guess I'll go try IV then as it's seems a bit better than III.  "
IV is a good choice, just keep in mind that the DS remake of IV, while fantastic, can get pretty darn difficult compared to the game when it was originally released in the US as Final Fantasy II.
 
And yeah, just for the sake of meaningless argument, VI was my favorite of the FF games.
#9 Posted by gamefreak9 (2344 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @dbz1995 said:
" @gamefreak9 said:
" 4 was good, 5 okay, 6-9 amazing, 10 was good, 12 okay, 13 okay "
A debate on this could go on for a long time. For example, my favourite was XII and X. "
VIII and X for me. Despised VII. "
Um, i do understand people liking X, it was good, very good, i just thought it was missing the soul the last 4 had. You didn't like 7? i mean its not my fav, i think 8 and 9 are my favs, cant decide between them, but 7 was good. 12 had an interesting Gambit system but... the story and the characters were shallow, and really once i unlocked most of the gambit stuff i did't even do anything any more, very odd to say its your fav, maybe you didn't play the older ones?
#10 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@gamefreak9 said:
" @Aus_azn said:
" @dbz1995 said:
" @gamefreak9 said:
" 4 was good, 5 okay, 6-9 amazing, 10 was good, 12 okay, 13 okay "
A debate on this could go on for a long time. For example, my favourite was XII and X. "
VIII and X for me. Despised VII. "
Um, i do understand people liking X, it was good, very good, i just thought it was missing the soul the last 4 had. You didn't like 7? i mean its not my fav, i think 8 and 9 are my favs, cant decide between them, but 7 was good. 12 had an interesting Gambit system but... the story and the characters were shallow, and really once i unlocked most of the gambit stuff i did't even do anything any more, very odd to say its your fav, maybe you didn't play the older ones? "
I always seem to stir something among people when I tell my opinion of 7. To keep it simplistic and short, the game is nothing short of revolutionary, and if you can't admit that, then you've got rocks in your head. However, is the game good as a complete package? I wasn't impressed when I first played it; I found the plot to be mediocre, which is my largest gripe with the game.
 
And now, I brace myself to ignore the massive amounts of messages about to flood my inbox.
#11 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

Sure.
 
That's the one I started with.

#12 Edited by X19 (2304 posts) -

4,6,7,9,12 That is all.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

IV's good, probably my favorite. Of course, I didn't play any of the PS1 era games.

#14 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Like others have said, the stories are completely unconnected, so you can play each game in any order.

IV was the first "real" Final Fantasy in terms of having a proper story and characters (though FF2 did at least attempt this) and it's one of the better games in the series so  I'd say IV is a great place to start and just continue numerically from there.  I'd only bother with 1, 2 and 3 if you really end up loving the series.  They're interesting from a gaming history point of view, but haven't aged particularly well.

#16 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

The remake stays very true to the original, it's pretty much unchanged aside from the graphics and voice acting in places. 
Which is the same problem III has on the DS, though that suffered from dated gameplay.  It's good, just felt completely unnecessary.  I don't see the point of a "remake" if it's exactly the same.  
 
I think the HD version coming to the PSP shortly looks far better, it's just a port with fancy graphics and isn't pretending to be anything more.

#17 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

Well you can technically start at whichever one you want, because each game's story and universe is completely unrelated from the last. From my understanding though, 4 may be one of the better choices to start with, because I, II, and III are very different games. IV is when Final Fantasy became recognizable as Final Fantasy.

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11474 posts) -

Final Fantasy IV is basically the definitive SNES era RPG, though certain parts of it are kind of antiquated and it's also been ported and remade to death, which I feel actually makes it less seminal. I think V and VI are better games, but that's coming from someone who doesn't profess to be a huge fan of Final Fantasy.

#19 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @gamefreak9 said:
" @Aus_azn said:
" @dbz1995 said:
" @gamefreak9 said:
" 4 was good, 5 okay, 6-9 amazing, 10 was good, 12 okay, 13 okay "
A debate on this could go on for a long time. For example, my favourite was XII and X. "
VIII and X for me. Despised VII. "
Um, i do understand people liking X, it was good, very good, i just thought it was missing the soul the last 4 had. You didn't like 7? i mean its not my fav, i think 8 and 9 are my favs, cant decide between them, but 7 was good. 12 had an interesting Gambit system but... the story and the characters were shallow, and really once i unlocked most of the gambit stuff i did't even do anything any more, very odd to say its your fav, maybe you didn't play the older ones? "
I always seem to stir something among people when I tell my opinion of 7. To keep it simplistic and short, the game is nothing short of revolutionary, and if you can't admit that, then you've got rocks in your head. However, is the game good as a complete package? I wasn't impressed when I first played it; I found the plot to be mediocre, which is my largest gripe with the game.  And now, I brace myself to ignore the massive amounts of messages about to flood my inbox. "
I wasn't born in the time of the 'revolution' that FF7 caused, and started playing it after playing 9, and then 8. Sure, Sephiroth stabbing the poor girl was pretty shocking even at that time, but I didn't really care that much, since I didn't like the character.
 Why is XII my favourite? The Gambit system worked really well for me-I thought it was kind of the thing FF needed to make fighting less boring over constant hours of playing it. Graphics were great, and setting, with all the sky-pirates, deserts and forests, was nice. Music was great, too, as ever. True, the main character was annoying as all hell, as was Ashe (though to a lesser extent). The other four I could get on fine with, especially Fran.
#20 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

FFIII on the DS was a complete disaster, don't play it. The save system was all fucked up - in that there wasn't a single one in any of the dungeons, and that's including the last dungeon. I ended up resorting to a dupe trick to get unlimited elixirs, as I simply didn't have the goddamn patience anymore to spend another hour carefully marching through shitty random battles just to die at some crappy bird boss just because I hadn't changed all my characters to dragoons. Not to mention that wifi bollocks you have to go through to unlock the best items/classes. And the touch screen controls sucked ass. 
No really, don't waste your time and/or money on it.
 
FFIV on the DS, however, is great, and it's surprising that FFIV has been remade not once but twice (actually, this might've been the third). The GBA version was a bit too easy, whereas FFIV actually provides a challenge.

#21 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

I played almost all those games


My personal favorites are still ff4 and ff6
I encourage you to start with ff4
#22 Edited by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

IV's probably my favorite, it's what I started with.


Edit: Oh hey, I totally replied to this comment two months ago- how aboot that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.