I must be compleatly Insane, FF4 WTF???

#1 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -

Why the hell am I playing Final Fantasy 4 stil on the SNES in my spare time when I have FF13 getting dusty in my 360?
Madness?

#2 Posted by Th3_James (2579 posts) -

Your playing FF in general. Therefore you are insane 

#3 Posted by MauveForest (589 posts) -

Sparta? no. that joke is too old.... 

Naw thats cool in my books dude.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (22280 posts) -

From the looks of FF13, its very understandable.
#5 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -

It's probably cause it's better. I love the SNES...I was a Sega boy when I grew up and therefore was adamantly anti-nintendo. Then I met my girlfriend who had a SNES and got me playing Super Mario World, Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger. Such great games!

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" From the looks of FF13, its very understandable. "
Why? FF13 is awesome.
#7 Posted by Yummylee (22280 posts) -
@CL60:
Doesn't look so much to me personally. I'm not so much of a FF fan in general though, but FF13 looks to stand out to me as...one of the worst.
#8 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -

There seems to be a lot of love for FF4. Does anyone here think it's the best game in the series?

#9 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

Because the SNES Final Fantasies or the Best Final Fantasies

#10 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Not gonna lie, not a fan of the 2D version of the game. The DS remake is fantastic though. The better question is: why does your avatar scream FF fanboy.

#11 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @CL60: Doesn't look so much to me personally. I'm not so much of a FF fan in general though, but FF13 looks to stand out to me as...one of the worst. "

I have loved FF since 2 (4) was released on the SNES, I won't lie when I began FFXIII I thought it was another XII. After about 8 hours the combat became much more intense and the story actually had substance. 8 hours is a long ass time to play to reach something worthwhile, but it is there if you care enough to find it.
#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @CL60: Doesn't look so much to me personally. I'm not so much of a FF fan in general though, but FF13 looks to stand out to me as...one of the worst. "

I actually am playing it, while you are not, and it's a great game.

Famitsu readers even voted FF13 best game of all time. 
#13 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" There seems to be a lot of love for FF4. Does anyone here think it's the best game in the series? "
I found it to be too limiting.  You couldn't customize your characters abilities or anything.  I thought that FF6 had the most interesting story, but FF5 had one of the most fun combat systems.
#14 Posted by Yummylee (22280 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Abyssfull said:

I actually am playing it, while you are not, and it's a great game. Famitsu readers even voted FF13 best game of all time.  "

Now ''best game of all time'' is really stretching it. 

And I know I'm not playing it, and I probably never will. Because it looks to be far from what I'd want in an RPG, let alone a JRPG.
#15 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" There seems to be a lot of love for FF4. Does anyone here think it's the best game in the series? "
I think it is a milestone for the series because it is when they began to try for a more complex plot and have an un-customizable cast whose roles were based on their character along with the first and most basic form of the ATB. I however, do not think it is the best in the series by a long shot but I must acknowledge it greatly effected the rest of the series.
#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Abyssfull said:

I actually am playing it, while you are not, and it's a great game. Famitsu readers even voted FF13 best game of all time.  "

Now ''best game of all time'' is really stretching it.  And I know I'm not playing it, and I probably never will. Because it looks to be far from what I'd want in an RPG, let alone a JRPG. "
I know, that's stretching it, just using that as an example to debate the fact that everyone seems to think that the game is universally hated simply because the people who hate it like to scream it everywhere. While those of us who like it, are still enjoying it.
#17 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

No your not mad your playing the superior game.

#18 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Prob cause FFXIII is inferior.

#19 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
As someone who is also 'not much of an FF fan' also (I never beat any of them, most I played of any was XI which doesn't count much) this is one of their better games. There's a lot of debate about the game and ultimately it's up to everyone to decide for themselves how they like it. 
Maybe it's because I never got into many of the FF games, but I'm really enjoying it - the pacing is solid, the lack of towns really hasn't been noticeable due to the story/pacing, and the combat system is simply top notch - though far from perfect. I found myself to be very anti-FF13 pre-release but the game has changed my tune. I'd say at the very least rent it and give it a shot.
#20 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

The SNES FF games are the best in the series is why. That is all.

#21 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -
@Zenaxzd said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
I think it is a milestone for the series because it is when they began to try for a more complex plot and have an un-customizable cast whose roles were based on their character along with the first and most basic form of the ATB. I however, do not think it is the best in the series by a long shot but I must acknowledge it greatly effected the rest of the series. "
Well I know that it's one of a few that was remade for the DS. If I were to play one of the remakes, is FF4 the one I should play?
#22 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

Because FFIV is the best in the series... that's why.

#23 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -

Maybe your life was better when FF4 was new and you play it now too remember how good life used to be so that you don't have to think about how tragic it is now ? :P

#24 Edited by xyzygy (10064 posts) -

Why are people treating FFXIII so badly... the combat is awesome and always changing, the characters are really awesome, and the leveling system is addicting as hell. I'm playing for 50 hours so far and I still have some characters starting roles at level 2, I didn't even start leveling any new roles besides the first three. I have never been so addicted to a game since Tales of Vesperia, maybe even more that that. 

I've played the majority of VI, beaten III, VII and X... and XIII is by far and away my favorite.

#25 Posted by sixpin (1302 posts) -

FFIV is a classic. No, you are not insane for playing it. FFXIII makes me want to play old FF games instead... Actually, FFXIII has been making me want to play any other game instead.

#26 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
Haven't played it? No opinion.
#27 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Never liked FFIV

I actually like FFII (the actual second final fantasy) better than IV..call me crazy

The DS remake kind of made me like it less due to the cutesy anime characters

#28 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I play VII and IX on the PSP more than XIII. They're just significantly better, more diverse and better written games.

#29 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Makes we wanna go play FFVI

#30 Posted by Yummylee (22280 posts) -
@Chirag4 said:
" @Abyssfull said:
Haven't played it? No opinion. "

You're saying that because I haven't played it, I'm not entitled to an opinion?...Just wanted to make sure what you replyed with is as retarded as it sounds.
#31 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

I would call it a waste of money.  Are you into $60 paperweights?  By the time you get around to playing it, it's value will probably drop to $30.  When I'm iffy on a game, I'll usually wait for the price to dip before I buy it to avoid the $60 paperweight dilemma.

#32 Posted by Marz (5666 posts) -

Cecil is a better protagonist than Lightning imo,  i mean who else goes from dark knight to paladin of light in one game!?

#33 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3709 posts) -

FF 4 is an amazing game.
#34 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Zenaxzd said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
I think it is a milestone for the series because it is when they began to try for a more complex plot and have an un-customizable cast whose roles were based on their character along with the first and most basic form of the ATB. I however, do not think it is the best in the series by a long shot but I must acknowledge it greatly effected the rest of the series. "
Well I know that it's one of a few that was remade for the DS. If I were to play one of the remakes, is FF4 the one I should play? "
Yes, FF4 DS is exactly how you should remake a game that old on the DS. It is the same game with nice graphics (for the DS anyway, which I guess isn't saying a lot), updated the ATB to feel more like 6-9 added solid voice acting for big scenes and added extra stuff like a new game+ while keeping the original game intact. I really wish they would remake 5 and 6 in this style for the DS, would be well worth it.
#35 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @Chirag4 said:

" @Abyssfull said:

You're saying that because I haven't played it, I'm not entitled to an opinion?...Just wanted to make sure what you replyed with is as retarded as it sounds. "
Your entitled to an opinion, But it means fuck all if you have never played it. 
Same goes for anything, If you have Zero first hand knowledge then you really don't know shit, 
So your opinion on the subject is also shit.
 BTW...

"....Just wanted to make sure what you replied with is as retarded as it sounds."

#36 Posted by Yummylee (22280 posts) -
@Coombs said:
"@Abyssfull said:

" @Chirag4 said:

" @Abyssfull said:
You're saying that because I haven't played it, I'm not entitled to an opinion?...Just wanted to make sure what you replyed with is as retarded as it sounds. "
Your entitled to an opinion, But it means fuck all if you have never played it.  Same goes for anything, If you have Zero first hand knowledge then you really don't know shit,  So your opinion on it is also shit. "

Good thing I haven't submitted a user review then.
#37 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -
@Zenaxzd said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @Zenaxzd said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
Well I know that it's one of a few that was remade for the DS. If I were to play one of the remakes, is FF4 the one I should play? "
Yes, FF4 DS is exactly how you should remake a game that old on the DS. It is the same game with nice graphics (for the DS anyway, which I guess isn't saying a lot), updated the ATB to feel more like 6-9 added solid voice acting for big scenes and added extra stuff like a new game+ while keeping the original game intact. I really wish they would remake 5 and 6 in this style for the DS, would be well worth it. "
Cool. I'll probably give the DS FF4 a try then. I've never actually played through a Final Fantasy game before but I liked Chrono Trigger a lot so I figure I'll try FF.
#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

*flips off several people in this thread* Now that I've taken care of that, I'd say it's because you like the game. It's good, too. Personally, I think 13's better, but 4 is still really good. If you added "The After Years" to the end of that, I'd have to beat the hell out of you right here and now.

#39 Edited by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

I personally think FF12 is the best one, but FF4 is also an excellent title. The series has come a long way, and i think the SNES one is where it's at more so than FF13.

#40 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

All of this hate of FF13 sucks the life out of me.

#41 Edited by hide (73 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

" Why are people treating FFXIII so badly... the combat is awesome and always changing, the characters are really awesome, and the leveling system is addicting as hell. I'm playing for 50 hours so far and I still have some characters starting roles at level 2, I didn't even start leveling any new roles besides the first three. I have never been so addicted to a game since Tales of Vesperia, maybe even more that that.  I've played the majority of VI, beaten III, VII and X... and XIII is by far and away my favorite. "

Somebody who's actually played it (in this thread), and I agree. Addicting and a lot of fun for me as well. Well, I best continue getting CP for the fights ahead.. and treasure digging.
#42 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Chirag4 said:
" @Abyssfull said:
Suppose I should have made myself clearer. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion but it means nothing if you haven't played the game.
#43 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -
@BraveFart: lol, nice comment.. although I have never had the patience to play it before :P ... Like your thinking tho!
#44 Posted by Deadmanforking (579 posts) -

Na dude, your not insane. FF4 is a fantastic game! Way better than FF13.

#45 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

When I got Metroid Prime 3, I played about 5 hours of it before I played the whole way through, and got 100% in, Metroid Prime 2.

#46 Edited by Astras (973 posts) -

Was trying to get the DS version of this game.. it looks like it's improved but the DSMuME emulator runs it too slow to get a frame rate greater than 1fpm.. can't belive I avoided 4 tho, loving it atm.. much more than the first 10 hours of 13!

#47 Edited by insouciant (710 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

"From the looks of FF13, its very understandable. "

Hahahah!
#48 Posted by MildMolasses (3227 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
From what I've played of it's close. Not as bad as VIII, but not far off. I'm about 13 hours in, and if what I hear about it not picking up until 25 hours in, I may just give up and move on to GoW III
#49 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I enjoy IV a lot but i haven't played FFXIII yet so I can't possibly compare them but I do enjoy the older ones.

#50 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

owning bothgames, i can say that ff4 is way better than ff13.  
I have found myself to be doing the same thing but with ff4-ds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.