Idiocy in Ivalice.

Posted by Wolfgang (9 posts) -

I thought I'd start a blog about my recent stupidity when playing Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

This is what I'm aiming for from now on.
So I started a New Game and followed the tutorial before playing and then continued to play through the game, aquiring new abilities as I went. After about twenty hours of grinding and struggling though many, many, MANY battles. I reached Level 12. Now I know some of you may be thinking 'WTF?!' but hold on a second. Me being the dimwitted chap that I am. The whole time I'd been purchasing abilities on the JP screen...I had never once thought of moving the D-Pad left or right. Yes. I am a FOOL. A complete cretin. Twenty hours of gameplay and I'd not aquired one reaction/support ability. Thus rendering my units semi useless.

So this is why. I have started a brand new save file and carefully planned out how to build my units. I kept the original New Game unit setup - Ramza and Delita as Squires, four more Squires and two Chemists. I plan on aquiring all reaction/support abilites and having all of them learn Auto Potion before the incredibly ANNOYING battle againt the unit turned traitor known as Argath.

So I'll keep you posted with how my units progress through the story. At this moment in time. My entire team have all progressed to level six and all have a job level of five (Bear in mind that I've only just had rescued Argath from the Corpse Brigade).
#1 Posted by Wolfgang (9 posts) -

I thought I'd start a blog about my recent stupidity when playing Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

This is what I'm aiming for from now on.
So I started a New Game and followed the tutorial before playing and then continued to play through the game, aquiring new abilities as I went. After about twenty hours of grinding and struggling though many, many, MANY battles. I reached Level 12. Now I know some of you may be thinking 'WTF?!' but hold on a second. Me being the dimwitted chap that I am. The whole time I'd been purchasing abilities on the JP screen...I had never once thought of moving the D-Pad left or right. Yes. I am a FOOL. A complete cretin. Twenty hours of gameplay and I'd not aquired one reaction/support ability. Thus rendering my units semi useless.

So this is why. I have started a brand new save file and carefully planned out how to build my units. I kept the original New Game unit setup - Ramza and Delita as Squires, four more Squires and two Chemists. I plan on aquiring all reaction/support abilites and having all of them learn Auto Potion before the incredibly ANNOYING battle againt the unit turned traitor known as Argath.

So I'll keep you posted with how my units progress through the story. At this moment in time. My entire team have all progressed to level six and all have a job level of five (Bear in mind that I've only just had rescued Argath from the Corpse Brigade).
#2 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Lol, I had something similar to this (in that I felt insanely stupid afterwards) the first time I played the original game on the PS1. The first "real" battle in the game I had no idea you could place units, so I spent about 2 hours trying to win that fight against the bandits with only Ramza and Delita... needless to say it did not end well. 

Anyhow, even once you figure everything out the game can still be fairly challenging, until you get a certain character. He literally breaks the game.

#3 Posted by dankempster (2249 posts) -

Nice debut blog, Wolfgang. I can definitely relate to your plight, and to Zenaxzd's as well. In a day and age where games bombard you with tutorials and training missions, Tactics does throw you in at the deep end. I think the benefit of this is that it encourages experimentation a little more, though. From the seventy-plus hours I spent with Tactics back in 2008, a large portion of that was spent training, learning abilities and toying with different combinations to see what worked well and what failed miserably. 'Tactics' really is the buzzword in this game, it's incredibly difficult to simply power your way through the story missions without any kind of strategy in mind.

Here's to your impending journey through the land of Ivalice. I hope it's an entertaining one!

#4 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

Don't feel bad. :P

My friend's little brother got very, very far into Fable 1 with just the stick because he didn't know how to equip new weapons.

"This game is really hard!"

#5 Posted by Wolfgang (9 posts) -
@jim_dandy: Oh god. PLEASE don't compare me to a child. I've been playing video games for almost seventeen years now. Nonetheless. I know people who've done similar things in the past. A friend of mine, struggled through Final Fantasy IX with all of his characters at around level thirty. Due to him not really liking to level grind. He completed it. I'm not sure if that can be classed as pure skill or just winging it.
#6 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -
@Wolfgang: Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. 

I was just relating an amusing anecdote.
#7 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Leveling up in that game is pretty meaningless, focus on attribute points. 

#8 Posted by kratosauron0 (23 posts) -

Auto-potion is good, but eventually you'll be limited to X-Potions, which heal 150 hp.   
Have you gotten JP Boost?  That's really useful if you're grinding.

#9 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

FF: Tactics is a great game but it can fuck around with you in a lot of ways if you don't know what you're doing. Which is more then likely considering all the menu's and tactics you go through. Damn rewarding though once you get it right. Don't worry too much about the grinding since enemies scale up to you anyway. Also if you like this game then you might like the Disgaea series if you haven't played them before.

#10 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I've done some pretty dim things in my time as well.  Now I do a little research on a game before I start, just to make sure I don't spend 40 hours and realise I missed an essential item or conversation, rendering the game useless.  I am playing Fire Emblem at the moment and I discovered with reading a character so hidden that the chances of finding him without knowing are a billion to one (seriously - a specific character has to land on a specific square).

I put 1000 hours into FF Tactics Advance I was so addicted.  I haven't had the same level of interest in the DS game, but it is very good and I just couldn't get into the PSP game AT ALL - I blame the PSP, it has the same effect on all good games for me. 

#11 Posted by 014 (347 posts) -

@Wolfgang: Argath turns traitor? I sorta saw it coming, but I guess now I know for sure. Yes, I'm late to the party. Never had a PSP, but now I have a Vita.

I came here looking for help, because I freaking stink at this game! I'm a decent Fire Emblem player. FFT owns me! Grr!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.