Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2007

The game tells the story of a young hero, Ramza Beoulve, and his struggle to protect his beloved ones from the evil Lucavi. The story takes place around the War of the Lions, a conflict occurring due to the death of the King Ondorria, Lord of Ivalice.

One of the greatest games of all time released on iPhone today.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McGhee

As some of you may know this game was announced last year, but has been repeatedly delayed. Well as a big, pleasant surprise to me, it is out today on the iPhone. This is an improved version of the PSP release.

I played this game when it was originally released on the PS1 and it is still one of my favorite games and one of my favorite soundtracks. It is definitely worth picking up at the $15.99 price even if you've never played the game and don't have that nostalgia factor like so many of us do. The tactical, class-based gameplay is deep and the story is full of war, politics, betrayal, etc. So check it out, yo.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I own it for PSP but never played it. Should I get it for iPad instead?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By McGhee

@Rolyatkcinmai:

iPad version is delayed until Fall, but I would definitely wait and get the iPad version if I had one.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

This would be good news, but its on an iPhone....

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Did they fix that godawful slowdown the PSP version was saddled with?  I'm prefer a version of the game wherein you don't have to wait a good 40 seconds for a simple monster attack animation to go through.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By McGhee

@Make_Me_Mad: It says they have improved the loading times, but I won't really know until I play it. I'm downloading it right now.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By RaikohBlade

I heard this game is really hard, and can be quite frustrating. 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @RaikohBlade said:
    I heard this game is really hard, and can be quite frustrating. 
    It can be.  It'll definitely teach you to hate and fear Chocobos.
    Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Madyew

Been wanting to check this out. That's a pretty high price point though, gonna wait to see what others are saying before I purchase.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BoG

Why are quality games never released on Android?
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rattle618

Any idea if it will be on android? Cause the apple has been rotten for a long time.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By amomjc

As much as I want to play this, justifying any where near $16 for an iPhone game is atrocious. If I end up getting this, it will be for the iPad and paying for a remade title at that cost still makes me cringe even on the iPad.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TehFlan
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would get this for my iPhone except its gonna murder my phone's battery life...

InertiaticESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InertiaticESP

I picked this up for my iPhone today as an impulse purchase. I'd thought about getting the original PSone version on the PS3, or just grabbing a emulated version, but I assumed the portability aspect would work really well with the turn based gameplay. 

Glad I got it. A few nuances, but so far the slowdown has been minimal as worst. It's not completely unnoticable, and I have yet to see larger crazier attacks, but I know it was one of the main things the team addressed during development. 

Also, by default they have a little tooltip appear before your actions, explaining what do to and how to do it. They also (annoyingly) appear if you accidentally select a target that's out of range or something, forcing you to click okay in the bottom right before you can reselect the correct unit. THANK GOD you can turn them off in the options window. 

I never played tactics, but I'm a big time fan of Squares games (first one was SMRPG way back when I was a youngin on the SNES). I admit I bought this on impulse, but I'd been itching to play this game. It might not be the definitive version, but it's certainly a capable port. If you have an iPad, wait to get it on that.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I played the original PS1 version.

Good game, though I prefer Tactics Ogre.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Sarumarine

Heh, I remember when this game first came out and I couldn't find it anywhere. I was like "Man, I'm never going to play Final Fantasy Tactics." Then, by some miracle, I found it at a KB Toys in a mall.

Now you can find it everywhere. You can literally play it on your phone if so choose. I don't know how it plays on a phone, but the availability of that game is awesome.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ckeats

$15 for an iPhone game is nuts. Now if it was a universal iPhone/iPad app that would make some sense.

Has Square-enix ever put iOS games on sale? They have a lot of good ones on there.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Red

That's pretty amazing. I remember never really getting into it on the PSP, but having it around with me 24/7 will definitely help with that. 
    Buying right now. Turn based strategy games work great with a touch screen, and there need to be more iPhone games that take advantage of it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By McGhee

@kud12001 said:

$15 for an iPhone game is nuts. Now if it was a universal iPhone/iPad app that would make some sense.

Has Square-enix ever put iOS games on sale? They have a lot of good ones on there.

When they came out with Secret of Mana last year they had all of their games at half off. I bought most of them. Too bad they didn't do a sale with this game as well, but with as much content as you get with this game I think it's worth it.

InertiaticESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By InertiaticESP

This game is actually pretty well done. It doesn't run silky smooth, but it gets the jobs done. I can play Tactics portably without having to use a PSP with horrible slowdown, it doesn't drain my battery to terribly, and while it took a few hours to get used to the controls, I'm perfect with them now. I'm very glad they have the okay buttons on the bottom right, they really help. 

By the way, this game is damn hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.