This one may seem a little silly, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
- Shadow = Ace (Why, I'm not sure. Can't seem to recall why, but I've always continued to.)
- Edgar = Poe (For some reason I always thought Edgar was too normal, so I went for the last name of Edgar Allan Poe.)
- Gau = Animal (Whenever I read his text as a kid, I always did it in the muppet, Animal's, voice.)
- Strago = Blue (This one is relatively new. I did it once as a kid because he was a blue mage, but since the movie Old School, he's my boy, Blue!)
- Setzer = Gambit (I always was a fan of the X-Men.)
- Locke = Robero (At combination of the fact that he "robbed" people and it was a nickname of a friend.)
- Mog = Moog (I've always pronounced the name phonetically "Mogue" and that is how Andy Moog pronounces his last name. He was a former goalie for the Boston Bruins, in case anyone is wondering.)