Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Any enhancements in the PS3 version?

Sharingan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sharingan
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Games on the PSN are direct ports.  There are no changes what-so-ever.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

It's the same overrated RPG. Just a port.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

It's not even a port. PSX games on the PSN are the original CD images wrapped in a file the PSP/PS3 Emulator for PSX games can read. The code has been entirely untouched.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Darkstar614

Kind of a bummer that it's not the PC version translation.

We're stuck with "This guy are sick"  :(

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By asurastrike
    @xyzygy said:

" It's the same overrated RPG. Just a port. "

It really bothers me when people insult a beloved game, just because they don't like it. It's the same as when people call the show "Seinfeld", or the movie "The God Father" overrated. You may not like it, but the millions of people who have been fans of it for over a decade might not agree with you.

Your favorite game is shit.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

The emulation on the PS3 can smooth out the textures and make it look a little better than the original but yeah it's pretty much has the same content of the original discs.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By KingBroly

If you have the original PS1 discs, it'll do the same thing. 

OT:  Why you can play PS1 discs on PS3, but not PS2 discs (unless you have a BC PS3) is still beyond me.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By danielkempster

If you read Brad's article properly, you'll note that it's referring to the release of Final Fantasy VII on the Japanese PlayStation Network. The "improved" version he's talking about is Final Fantasy VII International. As I understand it, the original Japanese game didn't have some of the side quests that we got in the US and Europe (I'm specifically thinking Emerald and Ruby WEAPON, but there might be others too). They were added to the Japanese International version. In layman's terms, the "improved" Japanese version is the same as the standard US/EU version. Except, you know, in Japanese. The version of the game on the US/EU PlayStation Networks is the exact same version that we all played on our original PlayStations thirteen years ago. No graphical touch-ups, no improved translations, no fancy bells and whistles, just straight up Final Fantasy VII.

MJames70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MJames70
    @KingBroly:
    It is not that much of a mystery. The PS1 compatabilty was acheived through some very simple software emulation. On models that had PS2 back compat, this was acheived by actually including the relevant PS2 chips in the PS3  instead of writing emulation software, which Sony apparently feels is too difficult and time consuming to do for too little payoff. The earliest PS3s had full compat due to having complete PS2 chipsets. Then you got 'gimped' models that had some of the necessary chips, and a bit of software to get some titles to run, much like the 360 situation. Then finally the PS2 chips were deleted altogether, and BC was gone, as they show little interest in coming up with a full blown emulator. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have shown any interest in developing BC any further than they already have. And although not quite as convenient, used PS2s are dirt cheap anyway.....
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Asurastrike said:

" @xyzygy said:

It really bothers me when people insult a beloved game, just because they don't like it. It's the same as when people call the show "Seinfeld", or the movie "The God Father" overrated. You may not like it, but the millions of people who have been fans of it for over a decade might not agree with you.  Your favorite game is shit. "
    Overrated is calling a game shit?
    No overated is questioning the quality of a title but still maintaining that its an okay game.

If I called Final Fantasy VII  shit. *and I think it is* then I've just insulted the game, but If I say its overated then that is ambiguous I could mean it didn't deserve its scores but deserved somewhat less...ect

@TC
    Its a direct port no changes, Infact it looks quite a bit worse then on the ps2 because Ps3 backwards compat is just not up to snuff as the ps2's ps1 backwards compat was, I have to go through quite a few ps3 options, and hook up and tv option gymnatics to get the games to look even remotely like the ps2 bc.  Its mostly cause of the up-scaling though up-scaling pixelizes the hell out of ps1 games.
    Sony should have spent a little more time on its BC when they had it such as filters and other techniques such as AA *as you get with 360 xbox original bc* Sony is really outdone by the emulator makers in this area ps1 pc emulators preform quite a bit better then the ps3 BC of ps1 titles.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @xyzygy said:

It really bothers me when people insult a beloved game, just because they don't like it. It's the same as when people call the show "Seinfeld", or the movie "The God Father" overrated. You may not like it, but the millions of people who have been fans of it for over a decade might not agree with you.  Your favorite game is shit. "
    Overrated is calling a game shit? No overated is questioning the quality of a title but still maintaining that its an okay game.  If I called Final Fantasy VII  shit. *and I think it is* then I've just insulted the game, but If I say its overated then that is ambiguous I could mean it didn't deserve its scores but deserved somewhat less...ect "
    But saying that something is overrated without qualifying your statement as to why is insulting to the intelligence of others if nothing else.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Hailinel said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @xyzygy said:

Overrated is calling a game shit? No overated is questioning the quality of a title but still maintaining that its an okay game.  If I called Final Fantasy VII  shit. *and I think it is* then I've just insulted the game, but If I say its overated then that is ambiguous I could mean it didn't deserve its scores but deserved somewhat less...ect "
    But saying that something is overrated without qualifying your statement as to why is insulting to the intelligence of others if nothing else. "
    no its just opinion, that he thinks its overated others taking it as an insult are the problem. They are looking at the bad side of things and really trying to defend something they don't need to defend.
    If a game is truly as good as they think it needs no defense and they are just wasting their time, He said it was overated doesn't mean he thinks it was horrible he was giving his opinion about the game, Its others that go into hyperactive defense mode and are like OH god he has besmirched the honor of my game! I shall defend thee my love...Just take overrated for what it is, a ambiguous statement that could mean any thing and move on, if the game is as good as you believe it. it needs no defending.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @xyzygy said:

But saying that something is overrated without qualifying your statement as to why is insulting to the intelligence of others if nothing else. "
    no its just opinion, that he thinks its overated others taking it as an insult are the problem. They are looking at the bad side of things and really trying to defend something they don't need to defend. If a game is truly as good as they think it needs no defense and they are just wasting their time, He said it was overated doesn't mean he thinks it was horrible he was giving his opinion about the game, Its others that go into hyperactive defense mode and are like OH god he has besmirched the honor of my game! I shall defend thee my love...Just take overrated for what it is, a ambiguous statement that could mean any thing and move on, if the game is as good as you believe it. it needs no defending. "
    Not at all.  It's simply that when one makes a statement akin to "This game is overrated!" without any further explanation or detail, they may as well be typing "Derp."
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By sagesebas

The game for me was a beloved part of my childhood although I never played it when I was young I watched my dad play through the game, it holds a very special place for me. That being said I recently went back several months ago and purchased it for my PSP, and to me it is very fun, has great graphics(for the time, heck those cut scenes still look good), is challenging, has a magnificent score, and an immersive story, with great characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.