Final Fantasy VII on Steam?

• 70 results
#1 Edited by Soap (3644 posts) -

According to Eurogamer a leaked product description has been found for Final Fantasy VII on pc, with cloud saving and achievements!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-21-final-fantasy-7-coming-to-steam-leak-suggests

Anyone excited by this?

I know I'd happily play it again just to see what kind of achievements they add.

Part of me also would love to see steam workshop support, then maybe people could mod their way to that HD remake we are never getting.

#2 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -

Achievements are not gonna make me pay for and play through the game again.

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

I'd totally revisit FF VII if I could easily and legally get the PC version. The boxed PC version costs a fortune and is a nightmare to get running on a modern system.

It would probably be a better fit for GoG than steam though. That would seem to be the most logical place to release it.

#4 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I'd buy it, especially if they fix up the translation and/or the character models a little.

#5 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

No thx my 10$ PSN DL and Hard Copy will suffice

#6 Posted by probablytuna (3829 posts) -

@Soap said:

with cloud saving and achievements!

You cheeky bastard.

#7 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -

If true I will not be able to halt my nostalgia and will impulse buy like a madman!

#8 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

No, because I've played it about 40 times over the last 15 years or whatever. Same as everyone else

#9 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

I was ready to dismiss this rumour as being clearly false, but that evidence clearly shows that this will probably happen soon. I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

#10 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1254 posts) -

Not without updated graphics...

#11 Posted by Eidderf (507 posts) -

I have never played this game (watched my brother play some of it when I was younger but not much to be honest) so I'd certainly pick it up providing it was reasonable in price.

#12 Posted by Vanek (383 posts) -

I would play it just to see the differences between it and the console version. It would surely look slightly nicer, and I haven't played through that game in a year or two so it would be nice.

#13 Posted by Karkarov (3286 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

I'd totally revisit FF VII if I could easily and legally get the PC version. The boxed PC version costs a fortune and is a nightmare to get running on a modern system.

It would probably be a better fit for GoG than steam though. That would seem to be the most logical place to release it.

what he said

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (12431 posts) -

@NoobSauceG7 said:

Personally, I would rather 'downgraded' graphics - FF6 style.

#15 Posted by believer258 (12205 posts) -

Have you seen this game lately? It is fugly.

Anyway, there has actually been a PC version for a long time if you didn't know.

#16 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1254 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@NoobSauceG7 said:

Personally, I would rather 'downgraded' graphics - FF6 style.

That would actually be great. Maybe even better! Would definitely prefer that over the current graphics.

#17 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -
#18 Posted by Demoskinos (15163 posts) -

Hey guys they said its going to feature "cloud" saving. HA. Get it cause the main character is....okay... I'll leave now.

#19 Posted by matti00 (675 posts) -

I would totally get this if I wasn't already half way through playing it on PC, or if I hadn't already bought it 3 times in various formats.

Intrigued by those acheivements though.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

It was also a nightmare to play, seeing as the controls were mapped entirely tot he numerical pad.

#21 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I'd rather keep my nostalgia than play that game again.

#22 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

It'd be nice if this was a sign that they were just squeezing out all its remaining lifeforce before they do a remake.

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

Achievements are not gonna make me pay for and play through the game again.

They will for me! Sign me up!

#24 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4825 posts) -

I'd totally buy this again even though I already own a PC copy (got for free from a friend years ago hahahahaha) and a PSN copy.

#25 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2410 posts) -

I'd buy it! (probably during a steam sale)

#26 Posted by Butano (1790 posts) -

Guess I could finally get to play it for the first time. Seems like it'd make a good laptop game in between classes.

#27 Posted by Irvandus (2890 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MattyFTM said:

It was also a nightmare to play, seeing as the controls were mapped entirely tot he numerical pad.

Oh dude really! That might be enough for me to not get it.

#28 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

Gamepad support? I cannot fathom playing a Final Fantasy game with a keyboard and mouse...

Let's not talk about my past of being too lazy setting up my SNES and playing my really old FF games off an emulator!

#29 Posted by 71Ranchero (2833 posts) -

Interesting. Both 7 and 8 existed somewhere in Steam for years but never got released. I wonder if 8 will be released next.

#30 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

Interesting. Maybe? I'm not that big on FF7, so the price would be a big factor in it. But having it on PC would mean I could play it and watch something on TV at the same time, which would help keep me from getting too bored while playing it..

#31 Posted by brownsfantb (401 posts) -

I bought the PSN version like 2 years ago and haven't even booted it up. Not gonna blow another 10 bucks.

#32 Posted by BasketSnake (1290 posts) -

I should continue on my first savegame from 1997. 97 hours in. I don't care about achievements and the only thing that could get me to buy a steam version are upgraded 2D backgrounds.

#33 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

The game looks ugly, so what? So do many other games and I still play it. I can´t wait to get my hands on this game again.

#34 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I would buy it! I really love the music from FF VII.

#35 Posted by Lukeweizer (2770 posts) -

I'll buy it again.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@SpikeSpiegel said:

Then why would you buy the PC version?

#37 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@SpikeSpiegel said:

Then why would you buy the PC version?

Just an excuse to play it again. Also, the original soundtrack is expensive...

#38 Posted by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

FFVII's my favorite of those games, but I can't imagine what Square would have to do to that game to make me buy it again. And I'll tell you right now, Achievements ain't it.

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@SpikeSpiegel:

*ahem*

#40 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

That PC port was a festering pile of shit, so unless this is something completely different and separate from that, then I don't care.

Actually, I don't care because I don't really like the PS1 Final Fantasy games, other than 9.

#41 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Pink_o_mat: Considering how I didn't own the ps1 version, and instead bought, and beat, the pc version without issue, I'm not sure what you're on about.

#42 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

Since I've never played it all the way through, of course,

#43 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Sounds pretty neat, I've only played about the first few minutes of this game on emulator so bring it on! :)

#44 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Soap said:

According to Eurogamer a leaked product description has been found for Final Fantasy VII on pc, with cloud saving and achievements!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-21-final-fantasy-7-coming-to-steam-leak-suggests

Anyone excited by this?

I know I'd happily play it again just to see what kind of achievements they add.

Part of me also would love to see steam workshop support, then maybe people could mod their way to that HD remake we are never getting.

Let me warn Everyone

Final Fantasy VII Sucked on a PC,

Trust me, I Own it.

#45 Posted by PenguinDust (12638 posts) -

I'm not surprised with this. Back when I was a PC snob, my only experience with Final Fantasy VII was a demo I got in a PC Gamer magazine. Being resolute in my loyalty to my platform of choice, I referred to the game as "that game with the spikey-haired munchkin". Obviously, I didn't think much of it compared to the Western RPGs of the late 90's-early 2000's. I never got around to playing the full version, but I want to and probably will download it off PSN someday. I thought about it several times, but I've got a lot games on my plate right now, so it isn't going to be for a while. Oh and in case you're wondering, Dark Cloud 2 on the PS2 is what changed my mind about JRPGs back then.

#46 Posted by Gabriel (4082 posts) -

They fucking better not make Barret a less racist caricature or I'll be pissed.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@Hailinel said:

@MattyFTM said:

Oh dude really! That might be enough for me to not get it.

Yep. The game came with a cardboard overlay to fit around the numerical pad to use as a button guide. I mean, the game was playable. Somehow, someway, I managed to get all the way to the end. But hell if it wasn't uncomfortable, especially during parts like the motorcycle escape minigame.

If they really are releasing the game on Steam, I sincerely hope that they go back and rework the controls to allow for gamepad support, or at the very least, keyboard support that actually makes sense to a normal human being.

#48 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@Dagbiker: I can't imagine they will release the pc version as it was.

#49 Posted by TheHT (11801 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MattyFTM said:

fucking hell, i remember that. played the full game on ps1 but played the battle arena demo on PC. kinda shitty.

#50 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Looks like this is how that one ended up:

http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en

Completely scratching my head over this one though. Why now? Why just for PC? To what extent is it going to be upscaled? Presumably there can't be any widescreen support? Did someone stumble across an old HDD with loads of high res original renders for the backgrounds? Why would they do this!?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.