Final Fantasy VII remake?

• 52 results
#1 Posted by NogginBot (26 posts) -

i read on 1up that square enix have a big final fantasy VII related announcement to make. Do we reckon they'l finally tell us that this is going to happen or will it be another game? or possibly even a film sequal to advent children?

#2 Posted by Riddler (1528 posts) -

its another shitty movie

#3 Posted by Joker (675 posts) -

All we got at this point is speculation. Heres to hoping its a remake!

#4 Posted by svcheats1 (141 posts) -

no no no no no yes no!
thats the little part of me that wants it

#5 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Well, another movie is possible, but so is another game. I'm not an obsessive fan of FFVII, but SE has a license to print money if they make a true FFVII remake.

However, from what I've heard from 1up, this announcement will be a nod to the PS3.
#6 Posted by Resonate (172 posts) -

PLEASE

#7 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1065 posts) -

ReTarDedFisHy says "Yes, please. No. Seriously. Please Damnit, PLEASE!"

#8 Posted by AnonymousLegion (64 posts) -

REMAKE GET.

#9 Posted by Pakorn (183 posts) -

Advent Children on BluRay, Special Edition to be released on UMD.

Consider your world shaken.

#10 Posted by Resonate (172 posts) -
AnonymousLegion said:
"REMAKE GET.
"
CONCUR
#11 Posted by RVonE (4657 posts) -
Resonate said:
"AnonymousLegion said:
"REMAKE GET.
"
CONCUR
"
DISAPPROVE.
#12 Posted by Resonate (172 posts) -
RVonE said:
"Resonate said:
"AnonymousLegion said:
"REMAKE GET.
"
CONCUR
"
DISAPPROVE.
"
REJECTION
#13 Posted by JohnB (63 posts) -

Yeah, whatever Square announces by the beginning of August is supposed to "swing the pendulum back to the PS3" after the E3 360 bombshell of 13. I think that's a Shane Bettenhausen quote quoting a Square exec from an interview he had with him during E3. He mentioned they were working on additional scenes for Advent but that could hardly be as earth-shattering as the loss of 13's exclusivity.

#14 Posted by NogginBot (26 posts) -

yeh the loss of 13 was a pretty hard hit for the PS3. if on the other hand a remake was to be a PS3 exclusive then that would balance it out abit   :P

#15 Edited by AtomicEdge (309 posts) -

A FFVII remake is technically easy, cheaper than developing a new IP, and very financially viable so it's quite possible there will be a remake and I for one would be quite happy playing it.

Not sure why they wouldn't make it to be honest.

#16 Posted by RabbitKarrot (362 posts) -

I never got round to playing VII. Though VIII is absolutely stunning.

If it gets the remake treatment, i will defiantly be excited.

#17 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I'm hoping it's going to be a remake announcement

#18 Posted by TheSnakeOfWar (72 posts) -
AtomicEdge said:
"A FFVII remake is technically easy, cheaper than developing a new IP, and very financially viable so it's quite possible there will be a remake and I for one would be quite happy playing it.

"

We all know Square could make it but you always have to remember the fanbase. Remember the tech Demo at E3 2005/6 That Demo alone talks about the quality the game would have to be at minum. Also you have to treat the game with great care because if you do something that the orignal didnt do. Fanboys will jump all over it. It happened with MGS Twin snakes were they made snake dodge bullets in the air.

To be honest square should just say they are making the FF VII because to me The Last couple of FF games were an extreme let down (FF XII FF X-2 etc..)
#19 Posted by optimusprime223 (399 posts) -

I would play a remake, am playing crisis core at mo and i keep remembering the old character models and stuff, a ps3 exclusive remake will probably sell systems for sony and be one of SE's best selling titles...

and am i the only one who enjoyed advent children and has watched it more than once?!?!?!

#20 Posted by mgsninja (26 posts) -

As long as they can milk the franchise, there is no need for them to make a remake.

#21 Posted by Resonate (172 posts) -
AtomicEdge said:
"A FFVII remake is technically easy, cheaper than developing a new IP, and very financially viable so it's quite possible there will be a remake and I for one would be quite happy playing it.

"
yeah, they've already remade every game from I-VI, so no reason to screw over VII
#22 Posted by Strife88 (225 posts) -

If they remade it, I would pick it up first day. Even if the announcement was another CG movie, that'd be good too.

#23 Edited by zerotrace (3 posts) -
#24 Edited by AuthenticM (3759 posts) -

I created a thread in General Discussion, but I'll repost it here so we can keep it all in the same thread.

The Final Fantasy Info [Rumor]

I can now reveal exclusive inside info about Final Fantasy… VII!

Final Fantasy VII will be getting a “new” version of the classic game from the massive franchise and it will be exclusive (for now at least) to the PLAYSTATION 3. It is unclear whether a new version will be a simple remake or an extension to the original like Crisis Core, and if it will be a Blu-ray release, or on the PSN. Something else which won’t be exclusive is the original FF7 which will be coming to the PlayStation Network  by the end of the year.

Both of this info will be officially announced at either Square Enix’s August conference in Japan, or the Tokyo Game Show.

PSLS lists all of our inside info under rumor until it becomes official.

Source

Here's what I'd like to see in a remake:
-Battle style similar to X-2 (I'm NOT talking about the job/dressphere system, I'm talking about the dynamism of the battles).
-"Next-gen" treatment (better graphics, sound, voice-overs, etc)
-New side-quests
-New Materia
-New WEAPONS
-More Midgar sectors available (maybe make the prologue of the game longer? By prologue I mean the Midgar portion of the game)
-Yuffie and Vincent as mandatory characters
-KEEP THE FRACKING OVERWORLD!!!!
-Turks more present. Put more of the members introduced in Before Crisis and whatnot.
-New Game +
-Extended ending (the original was kinda short: Meteor strikes Midgar, BAM, ending).
-more stuff I can't think of...

#25 Posted by nat (217 posts) -

Final fantasy 7 will be remade, it will be very bad business if they dont.
So much money to be made with this remake...

#26 Posted by NotaStalker (172 posts) -

probably gonna be dissapointed again

#27 Posted by MKLOL (71 posts) -

I hope it's a remake, but I don't really know... It may be another movie...

#28 Edited by The_Dude_Abides (184 posts) -

I want it. I hope they give it to me, because i want it lots. You won't believe how much i want it. ;) (Little nod there)

Seriously though, i think it would be great. Even if they just gave the original a lick of paint, some nice cel-shaded graphics maybe, because the original is pretty bad to look at now. And it would also introduce the game to a whole new generation of gamers. For me there's no good reason not to do it. So do it already. We want it!!

#29 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

I hope it's not a remake.

#30 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

I doubt it would be remade but if it do, it should go like this.

- Remake (PS3)
- Port  (DS)
#31 Posted by psr388 (268 posts) -

i'd rather have a new, better ff than a remake of an old, moderately good one

#32 Posted by CoinMatze (473 posts) -

If they don't remake it, square should finally stop being such dicks when it comes to fan remakes

#33 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

if its a movie then that would be gay

#34 Posted by BlackCurtain (60 posts) -

I pray to God that it will happen someday. Even though I don't believe in him. Oh well.

#35 Posted by Djrocks (93 posts) -

If it makes money then it will happen. Final Fantasy 7 Might happen after 13 is out but no where sooner. I mean Square Enix is working on 3 Final Fantasy games at the moment. No way they can working on one more.

#36 Posted by Philosoma (109 posts) -

Sweet momma, please give us a remake! I love em, and I want all the people that missed out on the PS1 version to get to play it again.

#37 Edited by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

I still can't believe FF7 can't have the decency to die. As far as JRPGs go, it's pretty basic. The reason it was so popular to begin with was the derivative story and graphics. The story has kicked  its dead horse into oblivion, and the graphics don't seem so impressive nowadays, so why keep it going?

Mumble grumble.

#38 Posted by SamFo (1535 posts) -

A remake would be brilliant. A sequel in game form is more likely though.

#39 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

I wouldnt mind it

#40 Posted by Blaine (34 posts) -

Remake? Definately. I tried playing it last year for the first time because so many people say its the ultimate Square Enix title, but i found it a bit outdated and my eyes hurt a bit after playing it for too long. A remake would be perfect for people who have not yet played it!

b xx

#41 Posted by conantheking (52 posts) -

It will be done eventually. SE love remaking the previous FF games. Take 1 and 2, remade for Wander Swan, ported to PS1 and then remade again but for the PSP. Then III and now IV are done for the DS. At this rate I thik its obvious to expect to eventualy see a FFVII remake.

#42 Edited by KillerRabbit (60 posts) -

This debate keeps raging. Final Fantasy VII created my love for RPG's. Along with Metal Gear Solid for my playstation it helped completely revolutionize my thinking of gaming. Today i think it doesn't hold up as well as it did. I still love it... But it's not the same.

That said, i still love that game enough to hope for a remake and i would must certainly buy it. I'd buy a PSN version of the PS1 game for my PSP as well. Actually i think that would be a clever move on Square Enix' part.

#43 Posted by aku (57 posts) -

big fan of FFVII. But how exactly do you want the remake to be? Is it just a graphical remake? Do you see the enemies in real time or do you magically warp in to a battle screen mode? There's a lot of elements that needs to be decided on. A lot of opportunities to be awesome but a heck of a lot more chances to destroy what that game was about.

Don't know how to feel about a remake yet. The more I think about it, the more things I become worried about. (Especially about the fact how square handles their remakes recently.) But I'm sure I'll get sucked in when they do finally announce it.

#44 Posted by The_Dude_Abides (184 posts) -
aku said:
"big fan of FFVII. But how exactly do you want the remake to be? Is it just a graphical remake? Do you see the enemies in real time or do you magically warp in to a battle screen mode? There's a lot of elements that needs to be decided on. A lot of opportunities to be awesome but a heck of a lot more chances to destroy what that game was about.

Don't know how to feel about a remake yet. The more I think about it, the more things I become worried about. (Especially about the fact how square handles their remakes recently.) But I'm sure I'll get sucked in when they do finally announce it.
"
Personally, i'd be happy with just a graphical update, like i suggested earlier, maybe cel-shaded would be the way to go, that way you could keep the cuteness of the original but still make it look visually stunning.

They would be a given, more mini-games and side missions.
#45 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

I'm sure it is a PSN FVII.

#46 Posted by JohnB (63 posts) -
The_Dude_Abides said:
"aku said:
"big fan of FFVII. But how exactly do you want the remake to be? Is it just a graphical remake? Do you see the enemies in real time or do you magically warp in to a battle screen mode? There's a lot of elements that needs to be decided on. A lot of opportunities to be awesome but a heck of a lot more chances to destroy what that game was about.

"
Personally, i'd be happy with just a graphical update, like i suggested earlier, maybe cel-shaded would be the way to go, that way you could keep the cuteness of the original but still make it look visually stunning.

They would be a given, more mini-games and side missions.
"
I'd like a new translation, too, as long as it's not in the "thou and thine" vein.
#47 Posted by logan2k_17 (22 posts) -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/goboom/lol/ffvii.jpg

Maybe Square is planning the biggest move in video games history... a silent release... If so i hope that the games begins with crisis core and then plays last order, moving on the the remade version of FFVII then at credit role plays the full feature film Advent Children.......  two BD's.... both dual layer...

Please be true
#48 Posted by BD (253 posts) -
logan2k_17 said:
"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/goboom/lol/ffvii.jpg

Maybe Square is planning the biggest move in video games history... a silent release... If so i hope that the games begins with crisis core and then plays last order, moving on the the remade version of FFVII then at credit role plays the full feature film Advent Children.......  two BD's.... both dual layer...

Please be true"
We can all dream lol
#49 Posted by sohail12345 (46 posts) -
JohnB said:
"Yeah, whatever Square announces by the beginning of August is supposed to "swing the pendulum back to the PS3" after the E3 360 bombshell of 13. I think that's a Shane Bettenhausen quote quoting a Square exec from an interview he had with him during E3. He mentioned they were working on additional scenes for Advent but that could hardly be as earth-shattering as the loss of 13's exclusivity.
"
Yeah I agree With him
#50 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
DarkLegend said:
I doubt it would be remade but if it do, it should go like this.
- Remake (PS3)
- Port  (DS)
Approved. I have no interest in a remake whatsoever*, but a DS-port would be great.

* voice-over single-handedly destroyed brilliant storytelling in JRPGs and will continue to do so

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.