Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Final Fantasy VII remake would take 10+ years to make-Square Enix

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    Square-Enix - Final Fantasy VII Remake Would Take 10+ Years  

Seriously! 

In a recent interview with  TechDigest , the Director and Producer of Final Fantasy XIII, Motuma Toriyama and Yoshinori Kitase, were asked (surprisngly!) a question about Final Fantasy VII Remake.

I know, i was shocked too!

Anyway... The answer to the question is particularly interesting. Apparently, a Final Fantasy VII Remake would take over 10 years to create if work started now.

Front cover of Final Fantasy VII (US) for PlayStation
    Front cover of Final Fantasy VII (US) for PlayStation

Yos hinori's answer is as follows - 

"If it were possible that we had all the right facilities and the right environment to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we'd very much like a go at it! But even Final Fantasy XIII has taken over three and a half years to create. If we were to recreate Final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we'd imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together! So it's looking pretty unrealistic! But if any such situation came about by any remote chance, then yes, we'd do it!"
    Final Fantasy XIII took 3 and a half years. Times that time by 3, and you get 10 1/2 Years. Hell maybe even 14 years development time if you take the "four times" part.  

Final Fantasy VII was huge right (I haven't got or played it - I have VIII and that was 4 discs) and it has all the towns missing from XIII (correct?), so, if it was a full remake and they replicated all that stuff in XIII quality graphics, it would also be pretty huge right?  10 years would be BS though - surely?  I just say make it quicker and do it right by making it a Wii game (I would say that).  I think Yoshinori was taking the piss to be honest.  Your thoughts?
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shinri

FFVII wasn't 4 discs due to playable content, it was 4 discs due to the relatively high amount of FMV's in the game. They took up a load of space on each disc. 

I'd say that if it had no FMV's, FFVII could have (barely) fit on 1 disc.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dbz1995

10+ years? Maybe they've been doing it for that long and want to catch you off-guard?

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Semition

10+ years? Are they hibernating for the first 7?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Well they have all the plot, characters, environments, enemies, etc. all laid out.  So all they'd have to do is re-design them to the PS3 platform with their Crystal-Tools thing-a-ma-bob.  Should not take 10+ years.  Probably just 3 or even less.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By TwoLines

It would take 3 or 4 times longer..
    Why?
    I mean.. they have the story the characters and all..
    Why it would take longer than a new game from scratch?

CuddlyKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CuddlyKnife

What a silly statement. No way it would take ten years when a new game takes no more than three a half.

Maybe its his way of saying "when pigs fly".

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Anybody else would do it in two or three.  I can't think of anything about FF 7 that would be particularly difficult by today's standards.  I really don't understand the 'towns r hard!' thing; how are largely static towns with a couple of vendors and a few people to talk to any harder to produce now than they were then?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @CuddlyKnife said:
    " What a silly statement. No way it would take ten years when a new game takes no more than three a half.  Maybe its his way of saying "when pigs fly". "
    Yep, that is why I commented that he is probably taking the piss.  I think they get sick of being asked and get bored answering it seriously all the time.
    peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By peacebrother

10 years? Yeah, ok guys. 
    What could possibly be so difficult and time consuming that it would take 10 years to develop?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Excuses, excuses. I think that any other developer could make a remake of FFVII in 2 or 3 years.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Excuses, excuses. I think that any other developer could make a remake of FFVII in 2 or 3 years. "
    Give it to Bioware?
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

Final Fantasy 6 deserves a remake more than 7.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By defaulttag
    @Shinri: it was 3 discs. @Marz: agreed @oldschool: makes sense. i'm guessing kitase said that just to pacify/lessen the hopes of fans. face the facts: they do not want to remake FFVII. I'd very much like a sequel instead involving Genesis.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Novyx
    @oldschool said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Excuses, excuses. I think that any other developer could make a remake of FFVII in 2 or 3 years. "
    Give it to Bioware? "
    Ha. That would be both awesome and hilarious.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hourai

Did they actually expect anybody to believe that? No game takes 10 years to develop, except maybe Duke Nukem Forever. 

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

That's some pretty funny bullshit. Not that I care in the least for a remake.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Pretty sure square-enix is retarded for hiring that man who is clearly retarded.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Red

So, in other words, FF7 is 3 times better than FF13?

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Will1Lucky

They are just avoiding it simple as. The Story ect is in place, the engine is already in place so its simply a case of creating new assets.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

Forget about FFVII... 

Remake FFVI! We already know what the 3D world of FFVII looks like, FFVI would be so much better.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eclipsesis

Where as i don't think it would take ten years to make i think it would be significantly longer than FFXIII, when i think back to FF7 all the backgrounds would have to be reinterpreted into 3D environments which in hind sight there are more unique environments in that game than in any modern RPG (I'm looking at you Mass Effect (the first one of course) so that would take a long time, then they would have to rethink the world map because that wouldn't probably fit the standards of today's gaming i:e thats why the haven't done a world map since IX.

@ArbitraryWater: True another developer could probably do it, but then again it wouldn't be half as good as what Square would produce. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Geno

Most people want the game remade in HD, detailed graphics while keeping everything else the same, developing it on the Wii would kind of defeat the purpose, no? 

Anyway, I think their 10 years estimate is off by a long shot, half of FF13's development cycle was spent on making the engine, and probably further resources were spent on the story, music and gameplay elements. They already have the engine, and FF fans want the story, music and gameplay kept the way it is for VII, so if anything it should take less time to make than 13. 

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shrig32

Knowing Square, they're probably working on it but failing so-far or something. Remember that they're a prestigious Japanese developer that take great pride in what they do. They won't fuck with one of their most iconic games publicly if they can help it.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Marz said:
    " Final Fantasy 6 deserves a remake more than 7. "
    I personally dont want square to fuck that game up too so please dont voice that.
    yes 6 deserves more love but Square would fuck it up just like they have final fantasy most recently.

I mean shit look what they did to Setzer in Kingdom hearts 2.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shinri
    @defaulttag said:
    " @Shinri: it was 3 discs. @Marz: agreed @oldschool: makes sense. i'm guessing kitase said that just to pacify/lessen the hopes of fans. face the facts: they do not want to remake FFVII. I'd very much like a sequel instead involving Genesis. "

right,  my bad. it's been ages
    KyleProvost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KyleProvost

well in my opinion if they dont wanna remake the game its there game dont mess with it and why mess with it anyway final fantasy 7 was a huge hit tampering with it would surely fail let final fantasy 7 rest its a great game

KyleProvost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KyleProvost

again leave the game alone it was the game of its time this game was the best and always will be dont ruin it by (remaking) it thank you square enix for not messing with the most beautiful thing ever created i think if people like the game so much then just buy the (orignal) version and play the beauty
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bones8677

I wish they would just do it, or say flat out "no." I want to play it. It's hard for me to play the PS1 FF games. Those graphics have NOT aged well. 

edit: WTF??!! Why the hell was this raised from the dead??? God you necroposters piss me off.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho

I believe that the current crop of mediocrity that makes up SE at the moment would take 10 years and would probably make the game worse with any mechanical changes or additions. Square Enix is the high school jock 10 years later constantly reminding people how awesome he was as he changes the oil in the french frier.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Gilsham

Um do people no realise how much time is spent on art for games like this, tbh 10 years seams a tad ott but with the share amount of stuff in ffxii it would be an epic project to port it to current gen tech

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

Games that are far better looking than anything SE has ever made have taken far less time to make than their most recent game. So you can make up all the excuses you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.