Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Goddamn, stop the FF7 hate.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Leptok

Ok guys, you don't like FF7, we got it. But lay off the original for the sins of the series.

They have such nostalgia for the 8 and 16 bit ones that they feel justified in hopping on the hate train for 7.

Maybe it hasn't aged as well, but by itself it's at least an ok game, and a great jrpg. There's nothing objectively wrong or broken with it. I feel like they lay into for subjective reasons and spite for somehow denigrating the games before.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bell_End

who?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Nubster

@Bell_End: Brad and Jeff said that they don't like FF7. Cue butthurt.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By kindgineer

Goddamn, stop being such a sensitive whiner.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By killacam

my fave ff but... c'mon. don't do this.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Leptok
    @The_Nubster

It's the vehemence they use to denounce it, like it came to their house and murdered their grandmother.
    RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RazielCuts

I was thinking about making a thread about this myself. I find it a lot in the games industry when there's talk of Final Fantasy people go out of their way to say 'FUCK VII', it just comes off as crotchety old men sitting on the porch 'back in my day, we had the good JRPGs, they don't make 'em like they used to' when in fact in all probability the last JRPG they actually played (looking at most of the GB crew) was in the 8 and 16 bit era so they just have some form of dated nostalgia. It's hipsterish at this point to hate on FFVII, just because its popular.

Now if you're going to have a constructive argument about WHY it isn't as good as the other's I'll hear you - 'Adding the materia system took away the job system and made all the characters feel the same and soulless.' There constructive criticism I could get into a conversation about. Not just blanket statement 'FUCK THAT GAME.'

In closing like for a certain age range of people Pokemon was their first RPG, my first was Final Fantasy VII and as such will always hold a special place in my development of game appreciation.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arker101

You trying to hold back a waterfall with your hands. 'A' for effort, but it just can't be done. You can't kill fanboys opinions, especially on the internet.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmilingPig

I liked FF7 when it came out, but I don't feel that it still stands up in 2012.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By kashif1

@SmilingPig said:

I played for the first time last year, it holds up alright if you can get past the graphics.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

7 had the best characters, music and world.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Phatmac

Nope. Nice try though. :)

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Leptok
    @Arker101

You trying to hold back a waterfall with your hands. 'A' for effort, but it just can't be done. You can't kill fanboys opinions, especially on the internet.

Fine, have an opinion, but don't talk like the game exploded your playstation and killed your dog with plastic shrapnel.

Yeah, they don't like the way the series went after 7, but it's not the game's fault.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By BoG

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Characters: IX

Music: VIII

World: VI

I will not defend this, because it is subjective. I like VII. I like just about every Final Fantasy game. Calling VII the greatest game ever is going overboard, but it's a absolutely a classic JRPG.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lysergica33

So what if Brad and Jeff don't like it? Their dislike of it is no reason for your enjoyment of it to be diminished.

Edit: Also, in my humble opinion, FF7 wouldn't be FF7 without the funny block people. Haters gonna hate.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By frankfartmouth

There's definitely an element of contrarian just for the sake of it with some of the FFVII hate, but that goes for lots of other stuff too: FFVIII, Call of Duty, Bioshock, Zelda, Facebook. Anything with that kind of popularity, that a large segment says you're supposed to like, is going to invite dissent. Take it as corroboration for its greatness, if you like it that much.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmilingPig

@kashif1 said:

@SmilingPig said:

I played for the first time last year, it holds up alright if you can get past the graphics.

Yes its mostly the graphics I guess.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Illuminosopher

I think that a lot of the people who dislike FF7 are fair-weather fans I bet you most the people who say they dislike it today loved it or at least were indifferent to it when it came out.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By AngelN7

You shouldn't care about their opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'll say this; Brad overrates the quality of Amano's art. It is just as tropey and samey as Nomura, just with different tropes. Nomura is hyper-intricate folds and crooks in clothing, belts, zippers, straps, big chunky spikey hair and big anime eyes, with big chunky swords (chunky everything, really). Amano is willowy watercolors with billowing skirts and blouses (even on the men), pale androgynous people reclining or laying back with wispy blonde hair, clothes covered in ambiguously ethnic print, all buildings being what I believe is an Eastern Gothic style of wide bulbs and slim spires, along with all the weapons and implements used being oddly slim and full of unnatural curves and points.

Amano's style isn't 'better', it just hasn't been the 'house style' for 15 years. If it was Amano's style for the last 15, Nomura would seem like a godsend.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaggE

They tend to speak in extremes when they mention something offhand. It's not meant to be taken literally.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Dogma

I really like Final Fantasy VI myself but also VII. I live in Europe so Final Fantasy VII was the first official Final Fantasy we got. But as I said I had played imported RPG:s before. But with that said I have very little understanding for people that without problem can throw Final Fantasy VII under the bus and not aknowledge it's importance in gaming history. That game was solid. It's okey to have different opinions but "f*ck that game" mentality is a bit harsh in my opinion. Final Fantasy VII did some amazing stuff, the problem is that a lot of others copied that game and today it's content consists of classical game tropes of different kinds.

@RazielCuts said:

Now if you're going to have a constructive argument about WHY it isn't as good as the other's I'll hear you - 'Adding the materia system took away the job system and made all the characters feel the same and soulless.' There constructive criticism I could get into a conversation about. Not just blanket statement 'FUCK THAT GAME.'

I have a little thing to ad to this. Final Fantasy VI Esper system made it possible to almost give every magic to all characters. In that game it was only the characters special ability like Sabins Blitz attack that was unique. I think that Final Fantasy VII system actually was more diverse because of the materia slots. Not many weapons had the exact same amount of slots and links. That game also gave each characters a bunch of unique limits breaks. So yeah.... I really don't understand why someone would hate on the materia system but be okey with the Esper system.

I want to ad that write thise based on memories. I may be a bit of but that is how I experienced those two games when I played them many many years ago.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By cookiemonster

Kewl ur jets bro. Its just, like, their opinions, maaaan.

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By andriv

@Leptok said:

@The_Nubster

It's the vehemence they use to denounce it, like it came to their house and murdered their grandmother.

you gotta stay fresh

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stise

Um, they DIDN'T talk about the game like it murdered their grandmother or exploded their play station. They made some passing comments that you interpret as a tirade because they struck a chord. They've had worse to say about beloved games before.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Leptok
    @ShaggE

They tend to speak in extremes when they mention something offhand. It's not meant to be taken literally.

No, just about everytime final fantasy as a whole comes up, they go out of their way to pour pure hate and discontent all over 7.
    Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Brenderous

FFVII was pretty good. I think I like the music and art-style more than the GAME part, though.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dogma

@Brodehouse: No game didn't really look like Amanos art either. It's a wierd thing to judge an old game by it's artstyle because the old games (and IX actually) did not have Amano's flair. It got warped to a cutesy chibi-style game instead. And just to be clear, I have no problem with that, I liked how the old Final Fantasy games looked like.

But here is the wierd thing. Nomuras art actually shines through in the design of the newer games. It is of course because of more power in the consoles but it's more logical to like or don't like Nomura's style IN THE GAMES than to give high praise to Amano's style that we did not see anything of in the old games. That is just wierd.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoLines

Stop the butthurt. The game's great, I love it and I do not agree with their opinion on it, but I really don't like whining.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PolygonSlayer

I've noticed the hate thing as well, but it seems to go in phases. It's popular to hate on it these days. Very rarely is any real good arguments given.

I've played through 7 more times than many other games I have and tried to look at it with objective eyes as well. It's not the best game in the world, and not the best JRPG, but it is not a bad game by any means. It's got fun characters, a charming and interesting world, and interesting materia system (that might not be to everyones taste for sure), fantastic music and a pretty epic story that is somewhat butchered by the translation. Personally I got a lot of nostalgia for it and for that reason I enjoy it more than probably others, but I can see that there are aspects of it that might not have aged as well, still, even today it's not a bad game. I've had friends who never played it back in the day play through it and come back to me saying that they liked it, not best-game-in-the-world liked it, but they thought it was a decent fun game.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Elazul

@SmilingPig said:

Agreed. It was a fine game when it came out but just like all early 3D stuff, it just looks grimey and aweful by today's standards mostly due to the copious amount of extremely low-res pre-rendered backgrounds. Early 3D-era graphics and music just don't have the same retro charm that 2D games do because to me they're in this weird, video game "uncanny valley". The art assets and instruments used certainly come closer to what they're trying to emulate than, say those of a NES or SNES game, but that just helps to further highlight how incredibly far off they really are.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Leptok

It's like they resent Ff7 being so popular that the people who made 7 got put in charge of making the rest. The sort of "ah man, they took it away from us and made it mainstream" at least that's the way I think Brad feels, I can't remember why Jeff hated it, maybe the same reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Leptok said:

Ok guys, you don't like FF7, we got it. But lay off the original for the sins of the series. They have such nostalgia for the 8 and 16 bit ones that they feel justified in hopping on the hate train for 7. Maybe it hasn't aged as well, but by itself it's at least an ok game, and a great jrpg. There's nothing objectively wrong or broken with it. I feel like they lay into for subjective reasons and spite for somehow denigrating the games before.

They didn't go off on FF7 with a great amount of disdain, this is a bit of an exaggeration. But lump me in with the haters of FF7. Replacing Yoshitaka Amano with Tetsuya Nomura destroyed the Final Fantasy series forever.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Leptok
    @stise
    Um, they DIDN'T talk about the game like it murdered their grandmother or exploded their play station. They made some passing comments that you interpret as a tirade because they struck a chord. They've had worse to say about beloved games before.
    "Man fuck that game" with pure disdain.

This isn't the first time. I think 13-2 discussion turned into a 7 hate fest as well.
    Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By Svenzon

If it makes people mad, I'm all for more FF7 hate. In fact, I don't think I've heard enough of it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Dogma The Esper system had you customizing your character permanently rather than the Material system which is more like building an armor set and switching it between different characters. Using the level up boosts you could either spec characters further towards their strengths or cover up their weaknesses (I'd level up Setzer's magic, combined with dice it gave him three valid options in any fight). When it's just rotating materia, there's no difference between Setzer's playstyle and Sabin.

And limit breaks are nothing compared to special skills. I'd rather have characters having skills always at the ready than require them to take a specific amount of damage to activate it. It would be like if Liara would casts Singularity at 10% health, not tactically significant. Celes and Terra are extremely versatile magic knights, but the tactical difference between Runic and Morph is huge. FF6 actually had limit breaks (called desperation attacks) but they were hyper rare and not tactically useful. I've played 300 hours of that game, I think I've seen 4 of them.
    Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Cwaff

@killacam said:

my fave ff but... c'mon. don't do this.

I feel the same.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

Don't blame the original for the sins of the series? FF7 is like the original sin for Final Fantasy. I really wish they had waited until the PS2 era to go polygonal because polygonal graphics on the PS1 were always so atrocious, they were barely worth it. But everyone was so enamored with the concept I guess.

And then of course that's when the art-style got completely over-designed.

Also that writing... ugh, pretty bad. Aside from that it plays like literally any other JRPG, so I can't exactly commend it's gameplay for breaking new ground.

So in hindsight, I'm still going to conclude that it wasn't never very good, and that the criticism on it is justified.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#39  Edited By alistercat

You can't stop it. I like FF7.... yes, even more than 4, 5 and 6 but that won't stop people hating on a game I hold dear.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@BoG said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Characters: IX

Music: VIII

World: VI

I will not defend this, because it is subjective. I like VII. I like just about every Final Fantasy game. Calling VII the greatest game ever is going overboard, but it's a absolutely a classic JRPG.

Characters were pretty generic in 9, didn't really have alot going for them apart from Vivi just trying to be comical all the time, 8 had alright music up until your floating in space and the J Pop starts, and 6's world wasn't anything special. Opinions! 8 and 9 are my other favourite, can't get into 6.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zaccheus

Ok I just read the OP post and have to say, what the fuck? How is it a problem for you if they don't like FF7? They have their opinions and you have yours. It takes absolutely nothing away from you, no reason to be butthurt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Zaccheus said:

Ok I just read the OP post and have to say, what the fuck? How is it a problem for you if they don't like FF7? They have their opinions and you have yours. It takes absolutely nothing away from you, no reason to be butthurt.

It's one of the reasons why people dislike FF7, the hardcore FF7 fans hold that game in such high esteem that if you talk about it negatively at all they scream bloody murder. It gets to be a bit irritating.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lukeweizer

CAN I HAVE EVRERYONE'S ATTENTION PLEASE! PLEASE STOP HATING THINGS THAT I LIKE. Thank you. Carry on.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Deathshroud

To each his own.,

I enjoyed 7 a lot. But was it my favorite final fantasy? No , Infact I find myself in a minority of players who really like FF9.

Which gets its own truck load of hate from people. But yeah ... don't worry so much if people do not like something you enjoy. I never allowed it to ruin my experiences.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By C2C

re-listening to the small section where they mention FF7 (1:45:51 for those interested), I think the hate is less for the actual game than it is the legacy of FF7. Hating on the legacy of FF7 (the fanboys, the wrong people being credited to FF7's success, Square's reaction to FF7's success, the impact it would have on JRPGs as a whole) is quite understandable. Patrick saying that FF8 is a better game still baffles me beyond belief though; I would legitimately like to know why he thinks its a better game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheHT

I support their notion of "fuck that guy" when it comes to Cloud. I remember really disliking him (and still do, though less so). During that point where you're without Cloud, had a blast just rolling around with Vincent, Cid, and a third rotational party slot.

Though when you put Cloud next to Zack, he seems more tolerable, only because Zack is so great. I remember wanting Ergheiz so bad so I could play as Zack. And as cheesy as the weird love for him has made him seem, Sephiroth is a pretty cool villain.

All that said, this thread doesn't need to exist. You shouldn't let them not liking it bother you and certainly shouldn't try to gag them.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MariachiMacabre

They don't like a game I like so I'm going to exaggerate.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Dogma

@Brodehouse: I believe you played that game A LOT more than me. :D (even though I clocked 100 hours in FF VII and mabey 70 in FF VII)

I'm just saying how I interpeted the systems when i played the games during 94 and 97, without guides or help. It's a whole different world today if you want to learn really hardcore tactics. I'm not saying some didn't do that but I just feel like in todays Internet society everyone know how to optimize everything and are really quick to tell you about it. I can admit I'm not a hardcore roleplayer so I did not dive superdeep into the system. I do think you have a point comparing materia with armor because yeah... it's was possible to move around that stuff just like armour. But yeah... I still don't get the hate because of those things. I always though is was cool that Square dared to change their battle and ability systems for each new game.

And now I don't really know what more to say. I can't and won't go into a hardcore dicussion about the intricate details of the games systems because I'm not equipped to do so ^^

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By wjb

Final Fantasy VII: The Most Under-Appreciated Video Game of All Time

This is nothing new (i.e. FFXIII-2 discussion). I feel like the point people should take away from that Quick Look was Brad actually liked the Final Fantasy rhythm game.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I like FF7 and couldn't care less about the hate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.